Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sampa737
Topic Author

Why Do Airlines Use Boeing & Airbus?

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Being the novice that I am, something has bothered me about the airline industry for some time now. Why do many of the airlines use both Boeing and Airbus aircraft? Wouldn't it make sense to use one or the other in an effort to keep down costs in the long run? Why are some airlines, like NWA and US so diversified in their fleet? Then you see AA and DL trying to bring their fleet into something what seems to be more manageable.

Thanks.......

Norcal773

RE: Why Do Airlines Use Boeing & Airbus?

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Sampa737 (Thread starter):
do many of the airlines use both Boeing and Airbus aircraft?

Because a Gulfsteam or a Bombadier can't make it LAX-HKG with 350 passengers onboard.  wink 
If you're going through hell, keep going

boysteve

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:29 pm

Being the novice that I am, something has bothered me about the airline industry for some time now. Why do many of the airlines use both Boeing and Airbus aircraft? Wouldn't it make sense to use one or the other in an effort to keep down costs in the long run? Why are some airlines, like NWA and US so diversified in their fleet? Then you see AA and DL trying to bring their fleet into something what seems to be more manageable.

Thanks.......

I agree that having a mix of A32X and B737 in one fleet cannot be the best financially as costs would be lower with just the one type. Likewise I am sure that US would be better with just the A330 or B767 rather than a mix of the two.
However I do not think it makes any real difference when we are judging a short haul and long haul fleet. For example, take BA, they have settled on the A320 for new short haul aircraft but have confirmed their options on the B772. In this instance it would be crazy to go for the A330/40 just because they have the A320 when the B777 is the correct plane to expand their fleet. In some circumstances a mixed fleet comes about because of mergers and accusations between airlines.

Cruiser

Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:49 pm

For a number of reasons:

1) A lot of the time, it comes down to price and capability of the aircraft. Each airline looks at the economics of each aircraft acquisition and looks for the best deal...just like when you buy a car. Or they might be looking for particular capability - such as flying a certain route non-stop (YYZ to HKG was one of the reasons AC bought the A345).

2) Airlines may favour one manufacturer over the other - depends on their cost model or any under-the-table agreements which are in place. For example, Southwest only buys 737-700's (now) because they know that they can turn a profit based on their business model of high frequency, low overhead costs. AA on the other hand likely gets steep discounts from Boeing because Boeing knows that they will get a large amount of business and they cannot afford to tick AA off - they could just as easily send the business over to Airbus. Airbus knows this and will not go out of their way to respond to an AA RFP. A great example of this was when AC first approached Boeing about the 777 and 787. They were in bankruptcy and Boeing didn't take them seriously because they had ordered Airbus for the last 20 years or so. Boeing thought it was just a ploy to lower the price on the Airbus aircraft that AC really wanted.

3) It goes without saying, but aircraft orders transfer a lot of money into and out of a country. Thus, in some countries, there is a large amount of political influence. This would be why LY has all Boeing aircraft, and why SU is about to order the A350. Any rationalization is thrown out the window in this case.

4) A manufacturer may have ticked off an airline in the past or may have a good friend who prefers one manufacturer. For example, AA probably won't buy an Airbus because of the way they handled the last aircraft accident in NY when an A300 went down just after take off. Airbus blamed AA procedures...which is why AA is so hesitant to buy Airbus products now. Another example which is making the BA widebody RFP interesting is that they just had a new executive come in from an Airbus friendly airline and he has the power to make fleet decisions. Thus, he could just call up Mr. Leahy and get a good deal - or he could go back to Boeing which has traditionally been the ordering practise for widebodies at BA.

5) Many other smaller reasons such as cockpit commonality, maintenance agreements, etc.

These are all factors...for some airlines you could take one or many of the above and that would be the reason why they bought one over the other. No certain formula, but it is just largescale - major business with billions of dollars on the table.

James

Edit to correct AA aircraft to be A300, not A310.

[Edited 2007-03-17 15:09:36]
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

flyorski

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting Cruiser (Reply 3):
an A310 went down just after take off

I agree with everything you said, except that it was an AA A300 that went down in NYC.

Also airlines like LH find that by purchasing large amounts of aircraft from both manufactures, they can get Boeing and Airbus to keep prices low, because they both know they have a chance to win or loose the deal.......
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

srbmod

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Why are some airlines, like NWA and US so diversified in their fleet?

Because their fleets were cobbled together via various mergers. Northwest didn't even operate their workhorse DC-9s until the merger with Republic (Which in itself was cobbled together via mergers, first between North Central and Southern then with Hughes Air West [Also another cobbled together airline]). When it comes to a diverse fleet mix, USAir/US Airways probably wins that contest hands down before they started to rationalize their fleet in the 1990s. But even NW after the Republic merger had some odd a/c in their fleet, like the Convair 580. Same can be said about DL as well, as the 727 and the 737 entered the fleet via mergers and eventually became major parts of the fleet down the road.

TIA

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:07 pm

There are many airlines out there who will fly any aircraft that is produced, and yes you are right, that doesn't make any sense. The reasons for that vary from poor fleet planning to political pressure. However, most airlines don't operate like that. The reason why you see an airline operate both the A330 and 777 is because this mix of airplanes serves the airline best. Neither Airbus, nor Boeing can claim to offer an airline the best product at each segment, although there certainly are airlines that are perfectly satisfied with just shopping only in one place. Another reason why you will see some airlines operate both the 737 and A320 is because the airline had the 737 in the fleet before A320 came around. When it came around, since it was superior to the 737 classic, airlines had no problem ordering and flying it side by side with the planes from Boeing.

Quoting Cruiser (Reply 3):
Airbus blamed AA procedures...which is why AA is so hesitant to buy Airbus products now.

While that didn't help matters, AA had been hesitant to buy Airbus for a long time before that. Don't you remember the gentelmen's agreement that AA had with Boeing in the 90s?

britannia191a

Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:32 pm

Its not always good to have your eggs in one basket. It also enables airlines to have bargaining power when needed

Stitch

Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:33 pm

Why do many of the airlines use both Boeing and Airbus aircraft? Wouldn't it make sense to use one or the other in an effort to keep down costs in the long run?

Often times, operating a mixed-supplier fleet, provided each sub-fleet is large enough, will generate more cost savings and revenues then operating a single-supplier fleet.

For example, the A333 is usually more efficient at sub-4000nm missions then the 772A, but the 772ER is usually more efficient at 4000nm+ missions then the A343. Operating the 772A and 772ER or A333/A343 would provide crew-training and maintenance/spares efficiencies, but flying an A333 and 772ER fleet could provide a better overall efficiency as each model performs better in it's particular missions, offsetting the extra crew and support costs.

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:49 am

As far as aircraft selection is concerned, I never fully understood the choice made by OK in early nineties. They selected 734's and 735's over the A320 family, despite the fact that the 737 family was inferior to 320 family at the time. And as widebodies they selected the inferior product again - the 310 over 762. Does anybody know the explanation of this strange selection?
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

WAH64D

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:10 am

Thanks.......

Most airlines don't have the luxury of being able to sit down and plan an all new fleet of aircraft from just one manufacturer. They generally buy the best aircraft they can afford for the job required at the point in time they need them. Its also generally accepted that, over the last 10 years at least, Airbus have built more efficient and more capable single aisle aircraft whereas the opposite has been true for twin aisle long-haulers (A330 excepted). The economy benefits of the more efficient aircraft in each sector outweigh the additional training and maintenance costs brought about by a multi manufacturer fleet.

I personally feel that any airline requiring a mix of small/large/longhaul/shorthaul aircraft would be buying Airbus products at this point in time. Boeing's range of aircraft are too dissimilar in aircrew operation and actual aircraft components to make a viable "one manufacturer" fleet. Compare this to the considerable savings to be made on an all Airbus fleet with the flightdeck, training and parts commonality that such a fleet would bring.
I AM the No-spotalotacus.

dz09

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:19 am

More and more airlines are trying to stick with one single manufacturer to keep maintenance, operation and training costs down. Southwest and continental are a good example of successful airlines using one single manufacturer.

WAH64D

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting DZ09 (Reply 11):
More and more airlines are trying to stick with one single manufacturer to keep maintenance, operation and training costs down. Southwest and continental are a good example of successful airlines using one single manufacturer.

Continental are, Southwest aren't. They use a single TYPE. There is a big difference.

futurecaptain

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:55 am

Quoting WAH64D (Reply 10):
Its also generally accepted that, over the last 10 years at least, Airbus have built more efficient and more capable single aisle aircraft whereas the opposite has been true for twin aisle long-haulers

I think the narrowbody market is too well split 50/50 to make a blanket statement that Airbus's are more efficient and capable. It's my understanding that the A320 family and 737 family are extremely closely matched when it comes down to the numbers.

Quoting WAH64D (Reply 10):
Boeing's range of aircraft are too dissimilar in aircrew operation and actual aircraft components to make a viable "one manufacturer" fleet.

Wow, tell that to several world airlines, it's news to them. Start here in the US with CO, one of the few airlines looking good financially in this market.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

WAH64D

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:33 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 13):
Wow, tell that to several world airlines, it's news to them. Start here in the US with CO, one of the few airlines looking good financially in this market.

CO are Boeing die-hards. You're not offering any argument that the same profitability wouldn't result from an all Airbus fleet.

I also notice you make no mention of DL. With the exception of the Mad Dogs they have an all Boeing fleet and are anything but profitable.

EK413

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 2):
Likewise I am sure that US would be better with just the A330 or B767 rather than a mix of the two.

In my opinion the B767 and A330 are in a market of their own? B767 with a average seating capacity of 250 seats and the A330 average of 300 seats in a 2 class configuration...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:18 pm

Some airlines find it better and more cost effective to operate both aircraft types, like NZ find the A320 better on short haul International, B733s for domestic and Boeings for long haul. AC are using A320 family on short haul and now going to all Boeings for long haul
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

boysteve

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:11 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 13):
I think the narrowbody market is too well split 50/50 to make a blanket statement that Airbus's are more efficient and capable. It's my understanding that the A320 family and 737 family are extremely closely matched when it comes down to the numbers

I think that it is fair to say that Airbus have won more B737 operators to buy the A320 than the other way round. BA for example.

ThirtyEcho

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Simple.

Airlines that want to lose money and go bankrupt use airplanes from both manufacturers. (American)

Airlines who survive by borowing money, floating secondary stock issues, cancelling flights, apologizing to stranded and imprisoned passengers use Airbus. (Jet Blue)

Airlines that want to clock almost 40 years of safe, profitable, service fly the Boeing 737. (Southwest)

Any more questions?

LHRSpotter

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 18):
Simple.

Airlines that want to lose money and go bankrupt use airplanes from both manufacturers. (American)

Airlines who survive by borowing money, floating secondary stock issues, cancelling flights, apologizing to stranded and imprisoned passengers use Airbus. (Jet Blue)

Airlines that want to clock almost 40 years of safe, profitable, service fly the Boeing 737. (Southwest)

Any more questions?

Never that simple.

Easy Jet was based on the Southwest model, operated only 737s for quite a while but when they decided to expand and place one of the biddest orders in 2002 in probably the most stagnated aircraft market ever, they considered Airbus as well. It is rumoured that when the negotiations started Boeing was asking for around $45m for each 737NG, after months of talks EZY secured 120 A319s for close to $20m each. When they were criticised for such discount Airbus responded that for them this has been a "cash positive transaction".

Now, how often can an airline that "wants to lose money" can make such a saving? This can't be doing any harm to their cost base. Why didn't any of the other "single type" operators think of this is beyond me.

express1

Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:54 pm

Well go off and see if you can fit 200 pax in a Gulfstream,if you find you can't,then you will understand why airlines buy Airbus and Boeing  confused 

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

boysteve

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:01 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 15):
In my opinion the B767 and A330 are in a market of their own? B767 with a average seating capacity of 250 seats and the A330 average of 300 seats in a 2 class configuration...

Hmmmm, I have thought about what you have said and decided to stand by my original comments! lol!
I just cannot see a major airline thinking that it needs one aircraft to serve a 250 seats/flight market and a totally different one to serve the 300 seat/flight market. This is what aircraft families are for. So relating this back to my post regarding US Airways, IMHO they would be better off flying a mix of A332/3 or a mix of B762/3/4 than there current fleet of A330 & B767.

RKDFlier

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:25 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 21):

But they could fit them into a Tu-204.  Wink
I never profesed to be perfict

B707Stu

Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:55 pm

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 17):
I think that it is fair to say that Airbus have won more B737 operators to buy the A320 than the other way round. BA for example.

I was thinking of past major Boeing operators that made the switch in significant ways: LH, AF, IB, AZ, OA, TP, BA, SK, EI, AY. Though I haven't done the statitical analysis my hunch is that if one measures the percentages of aircraft per fleet and analyze the data by region that the European conversion ratio would be higher than any other continent from Boeing : Airbus. My conclusion would be that the reason for this, if it's true, is because it a) feeds the European economy, b) is politically driven (not unlike Boeing's relationship to the US government) and c) a source of pride for Europeans, perhaps a subtle economic motivator.

Airline executives make decisions with many more factors than economics and business plans as a basis. There's good reason that the Airbus/Boeing battle continually snakes its way through both the US Congress and EU parliamentary systems. Big money, high stakes, political motivations. Again, perhaps not the major factor but if I was asked to do a matrix I'd bet it's at least 33% of the thinking around decisions. Of course it's higher if the governments supporting Airbus or Boeing add revenues to the mix.

Quoting LHRspotter (Reply 19):
Now, how often can an airline that "wants to lose money" can make such a saving? This can't be doing any harm to their cost base. Why didn't any of the other "single type" operators think of this is beyond me

See above.

Cruiser

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 23):
LH,

Who just ordered 20 747-8I's and essentially snubbed Airbus by not ordering more A380's. Clearly they look at how an aircraft will fit into the fleet...not just if they can support Airbus.

AF

Who now have more 777's in service than A340's. The political backlash from this decision was large - but they made the decision based on economics. The Boeing product could earn them more money in the long run...thus that is what they went with.

BA

Who operate an all Boeing Widebody fleet. Expect the next round of fleet renewals to also tap Boeing.

AY

Who just ordered some more 787's.

Clearly there is a trend which is quite apparent. The EU airlines LOVE the Boeing widebodies where there are significant differences in operating economics. Boeing seems to get their widebodies right...and this is why you see such a proliferation in the EU. On the whole, it is apparent that airlines make more money with Boeing widebodies - sure there are exceptions (the A330), but that is clearly being challenged by the technically superior 787 which is very close to reality. I can say this because of the number of airlines that were once Airbus loyals....switching over to the Boeing lineup. (AC, AF, LH, NW, QF)

That said, the narrowbody planes is where you see the political influence grow (particularly in the EU). It is hard to justify giving this business to the US if the operating economics are almost identical, and it will pump millions, if not billions into the EU economy.

[Edited 2007-03-18 15:10:33]
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

Stitch

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:17 pm

I'm not sure one can make blanket statements vis-a-vis one companies product line (or part of it) or airline's political preferences.

The A320 family was a significant leap forward in performance when it was launched for it's market segment. Boeing had the 757 for airlines that wanted 2000nm+ range or special performance ("Hot & High") so they were not pushing the 737 family as hard as they could.

So it stands to reason 737 operators around the world who wanted something around the size of a 737-400, but with better special performance and range, were going to flock to the A320, regardless of how many 737 Classic they flew or where in the world their HQ was.

So Boeing identified where the 737 Classic was weak, addressed it, and launched the 737NG which recovered sufficient marketshare to bring relative equilibrium/parity.

Leskova

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting DZ09 (Reply 11):
Southwest and continental are a good example of successful airlines using one single manufacturer.

And LH, BA, AF, SQ, QF are, to varying degrees, perfect examples of the opposite.

Simple.

Any more questions?

Amazing, how you managed to put as much nonsense as that into just a single post...  Yeah sure
Smile - it confuses people!

boysteve

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:27 pm

My conclusion would be that the reason for this, if it's true, is because it a) feeds the European economy, b) is politically driven (not unlike Boeing's relationship to the US government) and c) a source of pride for Europeans, perhaps a subtle economic motivator.

I think that political influence has a big influence at AF but at BA? No, not at all. If they choose an Airbus product it is because they believe it will give the greatest cash return to their shareholders.

CPH757

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:00 pm

My conclusion would be that the reason for this, if it's true, is because it a) feeds the European economy, b) is politically driven (not unlike Boeing's relationship to the US government) and c) a source of pride for Europeans, perhaps a subtle economic motivator.

Well, the governments might think that, but certainly not the airline executives. As goes for BA, look at their Boeing Longhaul fleet. As goes for AF take a look at the decision process regarding the 777's in relation to the French government. In relation to SK and AY, you can forget anything about 'European identity' from us Northern guys. Economy comes first...

AZ, well, they would probably buy a Berlusconi-only fleet if it was available, but it isn't... (and they couldn't afford it anyway Big grin...)
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

BOAT

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Boysteve, I can see a mixed fleet brought on by megers, but how does accusations figure in as a factor?

BOAT

EI321

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:41 pm

a) feeds the European economy, b) is politically driven (not unlike Boeing's relationship to the US government) and c) a source of pride for Europeans, perhaps a subtle economic motivator.

How about the missing point:

d) airlines tend to buy the best aircraft they can get.

amritpal

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:15 am

hey fellas, interesting discussion. I work in Railway industry. so applogize, but gona take this little off topic, just for reference. Canadian Pacific Rail is buying lotsa single family locomotive, in hundreds. there believe is that it is much better as per costs are concerned, same locomotives, same parts, A.C. power which is more powerful and reliable, although costs more than D.C.'s. now i wonder if airlines can (or do) think like this? example southwest in United States and Westjet in Canada.

another thing fellas, i am newbie in this site. bear with my opinions
Lost in Translation

sampa737
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 5):
Same can be said about DL as well, as the 727 and the 737 entered the fleet via mergers and eventually became major parts of the fleet down the road.

From whom did DL aquire the 727s...Western? And the 737s? I thought DL always had the 72s in their fleet.

I can not remember the source but I remember reading where part of the problem at US Airways was the fact that they have so many different aircraft. What I remember reading is that if an aircraft was in need of parts, it would be easier to get Boeing parts or Airbus parts if that's all the airline had instead of so many types. I'm sorry I can not give the source.

I notice that AA has a majority of Boeing but the aging Airbus 300. Not counting the MDs, DL is all Boeing. Southwest is Boeing. jetBlue is Airbus. So there must be advantages to this? Or is it just the deal made at the time for the needs at the time?

TrijetsRMissed

Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:31 pm

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 32):
From whom did DL aquire the 727s...Western? And the 737s? I thought DL always had the 72s in their fleet.

DL bought many 727ADV's brand new from Boeing and ordered a nice sized fleet of 732's years before second hand 733's entered the fleet.

I can not remember the source but I remember reading where part of the problem at US Airways was the fact that they have so many different aircraft.

The narrow-body fleet was incredibly diverse. At one time all of the following were operated:

732/3/4
DC-9
F100
MD-81/82
A319

It made for great airliner spotting at the hubs.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

EI321

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 17):

I was thinking of past major Boeing operators that made the switch in significant ways: LH, AF, IB, AZ, OA, TP, BA, SK, EI, AY. Though I haven't done the statitical analysis my hunch is that if one measures the percentages of aircraft per fleet and analyze the data by region that the European conversion ratio would be higher than any other continent from Boeing : Airbus. My conclusion would be that the reason for this, if it's true, is because it a) feeds the European economy, b) is politically driven (not unlike Boeing's relationship to the US government) and c) a source of pride for Europeans, perhaps a subtle economic motivator.

Airlines dont owe anybody an explanation as to why Airbus were making better planes in the instances you refer to.

srbmod

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:26 am

The 727s first entered the fleet via the merger with Northeast back in the early 70s. The 737-300s came in via the Western merger.

DfwRevolution

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:33 am

So when did AA go bankrupt ??

I will be waiting....
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos