Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

USADreamliner
Topic Author

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:45 am

I remember when Ansett used to offer "mistery flight".
Any other airline used to do the same?

cofannyc

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:10 am

Mystery flight as in you get on the plane and have no idea where it's going?  eyepopping  Or is it something else I've never heard of?

ACDC8

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:18 am

LH has had "Mystery Flights" in the past. IIRC, you could book seats on their pilot training flights, you would fly from FRA (or other cities) to some where else (usually around the Med). There you would get off the plane and do some sight seeing as the "pilots in training" (there would be a whole group of them on board the aircraft) would stay at the airport and practice touch and go's.

I'm not sure if LH still does this or not though.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

PER744

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:19 am

I believe Qantas offered them too at the same time.

It as basically a very cheap ticket, you called the day before and they told you what time to arrive at the airport, once you checked in you of course knew where you were going. They used them to fill empty seats.

In Perth it was known if you were told to be there at midnight you were going to either SYD or MEL, if you were told to go there in the morning then you were stuck with somewhere like Kalgoorlie.

You generally had around 8-12 hours at your destination before your return flight.

bastew

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:22 am

I think the mystery flights were 'pre' qantas domestic days. It was Ansett, Australian and Air NSW (when they were around) that used to do them. I went on one with TN and one with AN. Think I paid about AU$50 each for them. One time ended up in MEL (from SYD) the other time in BNE.

Jeremy

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:49 am

Western Pacific offered them.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

QF175

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:53 am

Yes, Qantas has offered them in the past and still do (albeit 1x year and only from MEL):

Take to the Sky for a Good Cause

Quote:

Mystery Flights: $149 per person (all inclusive). Price includes a day return flight to an Australian mainland capital city with a minimum of six hours at the destination. A choice of departure dates is available: Good Friday - 6 April, Easter Saturday - 7 April or Easter Sunday - 8 April.

nzrich

Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:29 am

Air New Zealand also had mystery escapes where you could go for a day a night or a weekend and you had no idea where you would end up untill you checked in at the airport!!!
"Pride of the pacific"

AirportSeven

RE: Mystery Flights

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:39 pm

Jetsgo and Special Air Resources offer mystery flights all around the world, with logisitcs handled by Jeppessen Trip Planning. Morroco, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Syria, Algeria, Sudan, you never really know where you'll wind up, even after you get there. I hear they may be taking over the old Cunard slogan, "Getting there is half the fun."

Fly2CHC

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 7):
Air New Zealand also had mystery escapes where you could go for a day a night or a weekend and you had no idea where you would end up untill you checked in at the airport!!!

Although my experience wasn't on a mystery flight, I remember it was NZ$250 for 'the great Kiwi Day Out'. This was amazing value, and from Christchurch included morning flight to Auckland, rental car for day, entrance into Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World, entrance into Rainbow's End Themepark, and a return evening flight back to Christchurch. Actually remember this as I sat next to a Korean Air stewardess deadheading down to pick up the evening departure back to SEL!

JAL777

Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting AirportSeven (Reply 8):
Jetsgo and Special Air Resources offer mystery flights all around the world, with logisitcs handled by Jeppessen Trip Planning. Morroco, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Syria, Algeria, Sudan, you never really know where you'll wind up, even after you get there. I hear they may be taking over the old Cunard slogan, "Getting there is half the fun."

How are visas and the like handled??  Confused

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos