bullpitt
Topic Author

MAD Vs AMS

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:25 am

Hi all I just saw some pap figures and MAD airport is close to catching AMS do you think that 2007 will be the year that MAD gets up there with the big boys?
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

mauriceb

RE: MAD Vs AMS

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:48 am

Quote:
Hi all I just saw some pap figures and MAD airport is close to catching AMS do you think that 2007 will be the year that MAD gets up there with the big boys?

Nope, airlines with ''hubs'' on AMS are all expanding this year, so don't think MAD will be able to catch up on the growth of KLM, Transavia, Martinair, ArkeFly, Easyjet, Vueling, VLM (really expanding alot), Air Berlin etc etc.

bullpitt
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:57 am

well we'll see if vueling is still around by the end of the year or weather it will be another Air Madrid. Some companies in MAD are also expanding eg. Vueling, Ryanair, Easyjet and more.
These are my principles but if you don't like them I have others

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:06 am

With the opening of the new Terminal 4 back in early 2006, MAD stated that they plan to be #3 or #4 by 2010 I believe was the year given.
No Vueling No Party

Emirates029

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:36 am

Number 3 or 4 in Europe or the world?

AlitaliaMD11

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:45 am

Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 4):
Number 3 or 4 in Europe or the world?

I believe it was Europe.
No Vueling No Party

IL76

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:25 pm

MAD is huge when it comes to domestic traffic, something AMS doesn't have. It won't surprise me if MAD overtakes AMS this year. AMS has steady growth, but not growing as fast as MAD.
If you just count international traffic, AMS will be in the lead for a while longer...

mauriceb

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Quote:
MAD is huge when it comes to domestic traffic, something AMS doesn't have. It won't surprise me if MAD overtakes AMS this year. AMS has steady growth, but not growing as fast as MAD.
If you just count international traffic, AMS will be in the lead for a while longer...

Guess because of the international traffic, AMS will be the one with more pax?

IL76

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 7):
Guess because of the international traffic, AMS will be the one with more pax?

No, it's the domestic passengers that really boost the overall figure of MAD. So in total, MAD handles more passengers. Leaving out domestic travel, AMS handles more (international) passengers, since we have no domestic travel to speak of. But it doesn't really matter, in the end it's only borders. Holland is so small, a flight to Brussels, London or Paris is often shorter than a Spanish domestic flight. MAD will soon be bigger than AMS, no doubt.

lijnden

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:33 am

Madrid will eventually be even bigger than FRA! I'll give it 5 more years. Reason is the political will to do so in Spain and the room to expand. The political will is both in FRA and AMS always a discussion with the Eco-Facists groups. They impose outrageous rules and taxes for Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and as an expansion really rather see rail-connection in Europe. As for the Germans, growth will be more in Berlin, Munich and Hamburg as Frankfurt is simply too difficult with its procedures. How long did it take FRA to get a new runway and how many demonstrations were held? LH is clear that they will even 'leave' Germany and the EU for growth and go to ZRH to avoid issues with the Eco-Facists ideas.

On another issue;
Pretty soon the abc (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) and 3-s (Saba-St. Maarten-St. Eustatius) islands will become provinces within the kingdom of the Netherlands. That means that flights from AMS to CUR-SXM-BON will be domestic.
Be kind to animals! Next trip: ORF-ORD-NRT-IAD-ORF

IberiaA319

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:02 am

Actually Madrid had a sharp increase in its passenger figures. In 1999 Madrid Barajas had just 27.701.318 passengers, in 2006 it rose up to 45.530.010 passengers. Each year, the increase was around 10 %, which still goes on. January and February were also excellent for Barajas, the YTD figures at the end of February were of more than 7 million passengers, also with an increase of 10 %. Domestic traffic has increased significantly during the last 6 years, with currently more than 20 million passengers (an increase of more than 50 % if compared to 6 years ago), but all geographic destinations outside Spain have also a good performance. The new Ryanair or Easyjet bases in Madrid will boost these figures.

r2rho

Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:44 pm

The key here is that of all major European hubs, MAD offers the largest room to expand. Most others are currently saturated and have no possibility to grow. After the expansion/new airport project, there are 4 runways, lots of free gates and terminal area as well as room for eventual further satellite terminals. It is sized to handle 70mill PAX/year and 120 operations/hour. So yes, eventually, when all the free space is filled up by airlines, it will overtake AMS and FRA. One big lack at MAD are flights to Asia. There could be a possibility to expand on that side.

And if that weren't enough, the region of Madrid has reserved land for a huge airport in Campo Real to replace Barajas in the very long run.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos