Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

US Airways...wow, Are Things Really This Bad?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 am

Go to the US Airways forums at both FlyerTalk and USAviation, and you have near-rioting on those message boards. You have the wonderful http://www.usairwayslostmycostume.com/ website that, while the initial article describes stupid passengers more than airline-related issues, the rest of the material on the website underscores issues with them. You have the co-chair of FFOCUS in Tempe as we speak, meeting with US Airways management at "the Sandcastle". Obviously, if you don't know about "Send everybody to Camp Charlotte for three days" you've been living under a rock. I cut-and-ran from the airline after, despite being an elite, not getting a job with the carrier. Sounds like plenty of other customers, even high-value customers, are leaving for reasons that make mine look like child's play. Even the employees on the inside, and I mean nearly every one of them daring to open their jaws, are irate. What's happened to an airline that I used to love to fly on so much that working in customer service for them was my "dream job", and this was even during bankruptcy II, when the carrier was, at one point, hours away from disappearing from the skies?
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

clickhappy

RE: US Airways...wow, Are Things Really This Bad?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:26 am

I cut-and-ran from the airline after, despite being an elite, not getting a job with the carrier

I do not understand this statement. You are saying that given the fact that you spend a lot of money with US they should give you a job?

graphic

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Thread starter):
Sounds like plenty of other customers, even high-value customers, are leaving for reasons that make mine look like child's play.

Mainly because your reason pretty much is child's play.
Demand Media fails at life

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Clickhappy (Reply 1):
I cut-and-ran from the airline after, despite being an elite, not getting a job with the carrier

I do not understand this statement. You are saying that given the fact that you spend a lot of money with US they should give you a job?

Yes and no. I do not think that US Airways should give me a job just because I am a frequent flier. I do think, however, that the frequent flier understands the passenger on the other side of the counter, and the plight they are in, better, because they have been in that situation before. As such, they are more willing and able to help that customer, and can find ways to do that at a minimal cost to their employers who they are representing. That employee who has never actually paid for a ticket, on the other hand, is more likely to pass the buck, say that there is nothing until Tuesday without looking to see that there are flights available 45 minutes from then (as my aunt got once, on Delta, on a Thursday night), and is less likely to retain that customers' business for further flights.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting Graphic (Reply 2):
Mainly because your reason pretty much is child's play.

Compared to theirs, I will most certainly agree. However, it underscores a much deeper problem, one that is far more visible with their complaints.

rlwynn

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Thread starter):
and any attempts to pass those costs off onto the pilots, who gave up billions to save US Airways, will end in failure.

It seems to me it was America West who saved US Airways.
I can drive faster than you

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 6):
Quoting ALPA (Press Release):
and any attempts to pass those costs off onto the pilots, who gave up billions to save US Airways, will end in failure.

Seems to me that it was KarlB737, not me, who posted that article.

However, obviously, that comment by the ALPA is wrong. How US Airways' pilots can insist that they were responsible for "saving" US Airways, when the ALPA's refusal to send a supposed Tentative Agreement to be voted on by the membership, thereby forcing US Airways into BK-II, is remarkable, and shows a substantial amount of testicular fortitude.

Somebody ought to tell Fred Freshwater, for instance, to go jump off one of his 757's at 37,000 feet that is ferrying to a maintenence base (ideally with only another non-revving 757 pilot, who can safely bring the plane to its destination, on the plane) without a parachute. Is Freshwater still an ALPA bigwig?

AirCop

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:59 am

No I don't think things are that bad at US Airways, just inconsistent. Left for a vacation on March 7th and used US Air to fly to LAX for my connection to TPE. The flight was great, clean plane, good F/A's, only drawback was the agent claimed that they could only check a bag for 2 connections and I had 3, oh well, cleared customs in BKK instead of HKT. Coming back was an entirely different story, a dingy 733, a f/a from hell, another one that was brand new couldn't speak english well, and a late flight which according to flightaware appears to run a hour late every night. Can't imagine its much different at any other carrier.

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 3):

"Whether management is publicly whitewashing their operational issues or the ongoing pilot negotiations, the US Airways pilots will not stand idly by and let their investments go unrecognized," said Captain Jack Stephan, US Airways MEC Chairman.

Bunch of bull, this guy is lucky to still have a job period.

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 4):
I do think, however, that the frequent flier understands the passenger on the other side of the counter, and the plight they are in, better, because they have been in that situation before.

Quite possibly - although I've turned down many applicants who were FFs with my company because they interviewed poorly, had sketchy work histories, etc. Being a FF really doesn't have much bearing on your ability to perform a job. Besides, in customer service most companies hire for attitude and train for skill.

Not saying you did poorly in those areas, but I wouldn't be so quick to slam a company just because they wouldn't hire you.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LCFreeman49

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:12 am

I havea theory on US Airways. I have non revved on them several times, both between Fort Lauderdale and Philadelphia and Fort Lauderdale and Charlotte to get to my domicile or to vacation, etc.

My theory is that US Airways out of Charlotte is a nice operation, the CSR's will bend over backwards to help you, and generally doing a great job. Philadelphia on the other hand is the worst possible experience I have ever come across; from the attitude of the gate agents to everyone involved. I suspect it is the fact there are several cultures within the company. Charlotte still has a large amount of Piedmont people in it and Philadelphia has home grown US Air employees.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks For Flying with Delta....

ScottB

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:18 am

Quoting Rlwynn (Reply 6):

If the pilots (and other labor groups) hadn't given some very significant concessions through US Airways' two bankruptcies, there would not have been an airline to save. And America West actually needed the merger almost as much as US Airways, given an impending cash crisis which would have materialized right around now.

While I understand the timing behind the Delta merger attempt -- they were offering a mere fraction of what the Delta business was actually worth -- it was poorly timed with respect to what was going on within US Airways. Management was willing to raise pay to Delta levels with a merger, but not without? Management was spending time pursuing another merger even before getting its own house in order? Management has boasted to Wall Street about strong profitability and yet continues to stonewall labor groups who are at or near bottom-of-the-industry pay rates.

East-side frequent flyers are dissatisfied with the standardization of the product to the (lower) West-side product, and some of the details of the standardization (i.e. filling nearly all the overheads in the First Class cabin with equipment) were very poorly thought-out. Removing coat closets from aircraft eliminates a service feature that was valued by premium passengers in the Northeast -- of which HP had very few before the merger. The res system migration was botched (especially with respect to the failure of the kiosks in the East), and the web site integration was even worse. Eventually, "pardon our dust" just won't cut it anymore.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 9):
Quite possibly - although I've turned down many applicants who were FFs with my company because they interviewed poorly, had sketchy work histories, etc. Being a FF really doesn't have much bearing on your ability to perform a job. Besides, in customer service most companies hire for attitude and train for skill.

Not saying you did poorly in those areas, but I wouldn't be so quick to slam a company just because they wouldn't hire you.

It wasn't so much THAT they didn't hire me, but it's the general attitude towards frequent fliers in general that I've turned myself into a OnePass Tin Foil customer. Furthermore, the fact that I make more at my current job than I would at US Airways, yet STILL would like a job at US Airways, should be proof enough of my exemplary attitude. Unfortunately, for me, the only thing an outstanding interview (in my opinion, although the worst interview I felt I ever had was at my current employers), great attitude (just ask my current employers and their customers), the skillset from heaven (800 on the math portion of the SATs, CPR certification, and am an excellent problem solver and great at dealing with people), and elite frequent flier status to boot gets me is a rejection letter/e-mail. And that, for them, is a shame. They'd be a better company with me working for them at their Fort Lauderdale station.

ScottB

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 7):
How US Airways' pilots can insist that they were responsible for "saving" US Airways, when the ALPA's refusal to send a supposed Tentative Agreement to be voted on by the membership, thereby forcing US Airways into BK-II, is remarkable, and shows a substantial amount of testicular fortitude.

US Airways was going into bankruptcy #2 with or without that agreement. The mechanics were not going to cave on their contract, no matter what the pilots did.

whappeh

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting LCFreeman49 (Reply 10):
Charlotte still has a large amount of Piedmont people in it and Philadelphia has home grown US Air employees.

I honestly think its more to do with the location. Even the "home grown" US Airways employees hate Philadelphia. I recall hearing a story where they give away a free HDTV every day to get the ramp rats to show up and work, since its impossible to keep them in Philadelphia, due to the pay they want to give them, non-drug policies, etc.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

LCFreeman49

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:28 am

I was on US Airways two weeks ago, non revving from Cincinnati because I could nto get a seat on my own airline. I went through Charlotte on the way back, I was talking to the pilots before we pushed back out of Charlotte and they were disgruntled in general. I really feel for them. They truly gave up a lot and now they are making money and it should be redistibuted among the rank and file employees.

I had not looked at the pay scale of what US Airways pilot were making, when I heard in Charlotte what they gave up, I felt badly. Come on Doug share the wealth.
Thanks For Flying with Delta....

ScottB

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 12):
the skillset from heaven (800 on the math portion of the SATs

If you scored an 800 on your math SAT, you are way, way overqualified for airline customer service. When you recruit for front-line customer service, you want people with a good attitude, but who won't question authority, who will follow rules (i.e. no waivers no favors), and who do not ask hard questions. They want someone who won't get bored easily with repetitive tasks, and while being helpful is nice, being too helpful can be harmful.

I don't even see how anyone can make a living as an airline customer service agent these days unless they're close to top-of-scale.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:31 am

Let me attempt to redirect this conversation. This is supposed to be a constructive "what needs to be fixed with US Airways" thread. Employee groups being treated poorly is one issue. Frequent fliers being disenfranchised is another. Philahellphia is yet another. Let's keep going, and maybe get somewhat specific. We've had some pretty interesting issues underscored by the discussion, but we haven't actually gotten to the core of anything, really.

Cubsrule

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:42 am

My theory is that US Airways out of Charlotte is a nice operation, the CSR's will bend over backwards to help you, and generally doing a great job.

Twas the case once, and though there are still some great folks in Charlotte, there are some real jerks there now too.

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 17):
Let me attempt to redirect this conversation. This is supposed to be a constructive "what needs to be fixed with US Airways" thread.

One thing that US is fighting, especially in Charlotte and perhaps in Philadelphia too, is really nasty customer perceptions. When I told folks in Charlotte about my lost bag earlier this month, they all reacted as though they expected it out of US. They need to somehow create stronger expectations for themselves, but the way to do that is operationally, and they seem incapable of that. The attempted SHARES integration just compounds the problems that were already present.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ScottB

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:43 am

This is supposed to be a constructive "what needs to be fixed with US Airways" thread. Employee groups being treated poorly is one issue. Frequent fliers being disenfranchised is another. Philahellphia is yet another.

Continental's "Go Forward" Plan might be a good place to start:

Fly to Win – Achieve above-average profits in a changed industry environment. Grow the airline to where it can make money and keep improving the business/leisure mix. Maximize distribution channels while reducing distribution costs and eliminating non-value-added costs.

Fund the Future – Manage company assets to maximize stockholder value and build for the future. Reduce costs with technology. Generate positive cash flow and improve financial flexibility by increasing its cash balance.

Make Reliability a Reality – Deliver an industry-leading product the airline is proud to sell. Rank among the top of the industry in the key DOT measurements: on-time arrivals, baggage handling, complaints and involuntary denied boardings. Keep improving the product.

Working Together – Help well-trained employees build careers they enjoy every day. Treat each other with dignity and respect. Focus on safety, make employee programs easy to use and keep improving communication. Keep pay and benefits competitive in a changed industry environment.

ejmmsu

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:26 am

As somone who knows the original poster, the fact that US won't hire him is probably indicative of the reason they have such sour employees in many places. This, however, really isn't important in this thread

The corporate culture at US is crumbling. Employees were taxed mightily during the BK #2, and although HP came in and "saved" them, it has also caused them to lose their "identity" to a certain extent. Not surprisingly, most of the operational problems are occuring in the east operation. The west side is still providing the same basic, marginally acceptable service that they had before the merger. US east employees are underpaid, overworked, and undertrained. They also have a bad attitude with anything they percieve that comes from "doug".

I used to think think the CLT operation was alright, but even there the service has fallen quite a bit.

Information technology has been abysmal at US in the past month or so.

PHL might improve, but its never going to be great. It is terrible with delays, and there is no end in sight. The airport itself is dirty, cramped, and has more ripped seats than good ones. This is not all US's fault, but when people have the oppourtunity to connect in places like DTW, it reflects poorly on an airline. At the rate of pay rampers are making, the baggage situation will never be as good as it is at other airlines. PHL may improve, but it will never be up to par.

I am not sure what the solution is for US airways. Maybe they should file BK again, get rid of a lot of planes, and drop the PHL hub.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:42 am

Furthermore, the fact that I make more at my current job than I would at US Airways, yet STILL would like a job at US Airways, should be proof enough of my exemplary attitude.

So an applicant's willingness to work for less than what they make at their current job should be factored in to hiring decisions?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):
So an applicant's willingness to work for less than what they make at their current job should be factored in to hiring decisions?

Absolutely. An applicants willingness to work for less than what they make at their current job would show that they really want the position they are going after, and, despite their supposed overqualification, would stay at the job rather than look for the first opportunity to jump ship.

Adam T.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 am

I have not flown US Airways since Dec. 2005 and then I didn't notice really any differences but I am flying them CLT-FRA in May and am honestly not sure what to expect. I just have not read many good things about US Airways lately but I will judge for myself when I fly them.

Even though people complained about US Airways before the merger with America West they still had a sense of professionalism that while now is still there but has certainly dwindled down. That is not to say that America West is not professional by all means because I have heard that they are.....what I am saying is that I think alot of people in the east coast operation are finding it hard to accept the whole LLC style culture of America West transforming into the new US Airways and seeing old Legacy culture of the old US Airways. slowly go away.

It wasn't so much THAT they didn't hire me, but it's the general attitude towards frequent fliers in general that I've turned myself into a OnePass Tin Foil customer.

Your not the only one.....after I get back from Europe in June i'll have a little over 60,000 Dividened Miles and i'm strongly considering dumping them sometime in 2008 or 2009. I to have became a Continental OnePass member and would much rather concentrate my business to them or at least other SkyTeam members to earn OnePass miles.

MCOflyer

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:12 am

To me, US is a good airline. They treat me right and I have never been disappointed at their service. Nothing but positive expierences with them.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

EA CO AS

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 22):
An applicants willingness to work for less than what they make at their current job would show that they really want the position they are going after,

Or how much they dislike their current job...and will quite possibly jump ship shortly after being hired and trained if they find something paying even a little bit more.

F9Animal

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:53 am

Oh man, everytime there is a large merger, you get unhappy work groups. No matter how you slice and dice it, it is going to take time for the culture and dust to settle. The new US is aiming high, and of course has pure potential.

This kind of stuff reminds me of the NW/RC merger. I wonder what kind of stuff we would have seen on the web if they had internet back then? No merger is fun for employees of either airline.
I Am A Different Animal!!

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:00 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 25):
Or how much they dislike their current job...and will quite possibly jump ship shortly after being hired and trained if they find something paying even a little bit more.

Let's look at this for a second. I've gotten, in the six months I've been at my current job, two separate raises equaling 21.4%, based entirely on performance-related factors (ie. not seniority) and I love my job. The fact that if the people in Tempe were to call me tommorrow, offering a job as a customer service agent at either Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach, I'd take it as fast as I could, and I wouldn't say that about any other carrier (not at that rate, anyway) speaks VOLUMES, if you ask me...

Back to reality. That isn't about to happen, so I'm going back to enjoying my job at Publix.

SkyyMaster

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:07 am

My brother just retired (mandatory age 60) as a US Airbus captain (former Piedmont). He's mentioned on numerous occasions the level of mistrust from pilots on both sides of the house towards each other, as well as the rank and file. He told me had he not been facing mandatory retirement, he would have taken a buy-out offer because this merger simply is not jelling like the folks in Tempe want the public to believe. There alot of resentment out there, and many feel once the merger issues get resolved, they are going to be in the same basic shape the old US was in, despite recent earnings. A recent poll I read puts them well down the list of trusted airlines among frequent flyers. They have much work still ahead.

flyboyaz

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 26):
Oh man, everytime there is a large merger, you get unhappy work groups. No matter how you slice and dice it, it is going to take time for the culture and dust to settle. The new US is aiming high, and of course has pure potential.

This kind of stuff reminds me of the NW/RC merger. I wonder what kind of stuff we would have seen on the web if they had internet back then? No merger is fun for employees of either airline.

Exactly! It is a very difficult thing to do and it is also difficult for the employees to adjust. On the west I think we have handled the merger better...most of us think it is pretty exciting and I know I was ready for a change. The east though is a different story...I think a lot of them fear change...they want things back the way the were....which is hard for me to imagine. I know pre 9/11 US was a good airline to work for. They paid very well and I think most people like their job. However things change and it's something everyone needs to adjust to. Things will get better in time.
Catch a ride on a smile!

Flaps

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:39 am

Unfortunately, US has put an awful lot of their eggs in the festering rectal boil that is PHL. That doesnt help them with their customers.That is one part of the problem. A second part is that they cannot ignore the pilot contract forever. Integration has to occur at some point. I can tell you that the senior pilot group from US isnt going to back down. While not normally sympathetic to this group, they have given an awful lot over the years without much in return. They are a force to be reckoned with. Check out this link:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07086/772875-100.stm

It may seem a bit juvenile to some people bu this pilot unhappiness has been going on for more than ten years. I think they are are really drawing a line in the sand this time. Agree with them or not, they are going to come together as a formidable force. Dougie is going to have his hands full on this one and it is just one labor group. If he loses to the pilots the whole house of cards is coming down around him.

mah584jr

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:46 am

IMO, I think the US East employees have much tougher jobs than the employees out west. They've also feel they've been under compensated for what they went through. Not many US West employees could even survive the turmoil that occurs over here. PHX and LAS are great airports to work in. They have hardly any weather delays. Congestion is at a minimum. They have enough staff and the right equpment to handle the operations there.

US East doesn't have that. They actually have a winter(note St. Patricks day), they're understaved. There are frequent delays at PHL due to congestion and poor weather. They've had to change their reservations systems. The list goes on and on. As far as revenue goes, PHL is a diamond in the rough for US. With many other things it fails miserably. Customers WILL NOT stop flying US Airways at PHL. They haven't in the past, and they won't now.

The East employees have been through hell compared to the West folks. I think they deserve to be treated fairly by their company for once. Parker and his team need to focus on gaining the trust of his employees. They need to step in and settle these disputes. It just seems there is a lack of care from management.

flyboyaz

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting Mah584jr (Reply 31):
IMO, I think the US East employees have much tougher jobs than the employees out west.

I have to agree. Our employees whine quite a bit about having to run around like chickens with our heads cut off but really the east cities do work hard and encounter a lot more delays than we do.

They have enough staff and the right equpment to handle the operations there

I wouldn't go that far...granted our systems are running like they should out here...our equipment is not good. Our boarding pass and bag tag printers break down all the time...they did even back before the merger. We are in need of equipment upgrades big time. Our staffing sucks too....in TUS we are down 9 CSA's. We hire people and they either quit or fail out of class....it's been difficult. We also handle CO here so we are VERY busy. Only senior agents are allowed to handle the CO flights, yet we generally have newer people working during the times that their flights operate (what senior agent wants to come to work at 3:30am!!).

It just seems there is a lack of care from management.

I think they do care, it's just a matter of doing the "right" thing that will make everyone happy. Oh wait, that's almost impossible! lol I really feel bad for the management. They are trying hard to make things work, but negativity and stubborness are keeping a lot of our employees from making it happen. Alot of them still see us as 2 separate airlines....that will have to change.
Catch a ride on a smile!

Byrdluvs747

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:42 am

I must step in here and say that most of what is read on other forums stems from problems on the US-east side. America West was improving in many ways before the merger. The problems back east have consumed too much of HPUS' resources.

I fly HP all the time between PHX and California with zero to little problems. I've never experienced any "meltdown" like they have back east. The "Westies" are their usual helpful self. I can't speak about the attitudes of the "Easties", but from the constant complaints on FlyerTalk I don't want to know.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

HPRamper

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:47 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 14):
I recall hearing a story where they give away a free HDTV every day to get the ramp rats to show up and work

I believe there was a pool drawing for a single TV. If they gave one out a day the airline would already be in BK again.
They do however offer a bonus of something like $500 to any ramper who stays on for an entire year at certain large stations.

flyboyaz

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:53 am

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):
I fly HP all the time between PHX and California with zero to little problems. I've never experienced any "meltdown" like they have back east. The "Westies" are their usual helpful self. I can't speak about the attitudes of the "Easties", but from the constant complaints on FlyerTalk I don't want to know.

I must admit, our operation out west runs very smoothly. Of course there are times when things are bad...but certainly nothing like they were when I started with HP in 2000. We really had our act together just before the merger...the only thorn in our side was Mesa...and even they have improved greatly.

The positive attitude out west problems stems from that most of our CSA's are getting a $5 an hour increase after going over to the East payscale. It's almost like we won the lottery! People are thrilled with the extra money.
Catch a ride on a smile!

itsnotfinals

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 33):

I have flown 25 of the last 28 weeks PHX to CMH with no issues ever except for the CLT connection I made on march 16th. The east side of US seems very angry on the ground, yet I have had some great East flights , most recently from PHX to CLT this past Sunday on a A321 with of course an East crew. The F service was practically flawless and the flight attendants were very polite.

I think the Flyer talk people are more talk and less reason that Anet and that is shocking  Smile
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

flyboyaz

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Quoting Itsnotfinals (Reply 36):
I think the Flyer talk people are more talk and less reason that Anet and that is shocking

Man...I gave up on Flyertalk a long time ago...at least for aviation chat. They were so rude....I got tired of it.
Catch a ride on a smile!

b52murph

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:38 pm

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 14):
Charlotte still has a large amount of Piedmont people in it and Philadelphia has home grown US Air employees.
I honestly think its more to do with the location. Even the "home grown" US Airways employees hate Philadelphia. I recall hearing a story where they give away a free HDTV every day to get the ramp rats to show up and work, since its impossible to keep them in Philadelphia, due to the pay they want to give them, non-drug policies, etc.

This is supposed to be a constructive "what needs to be fixed with US Airways" thread.

Here's what I think needs to be fixed...the hub needs to be at PIT and NOT at PHL. I always had excellent service with PI/US @ CLT and with US @ PIT, but PHL (by nature of being delay-prone) frusterates customers, who in turn, take it out on the staff. I'm sure the home grown PHL employees hate PHL; who would want to get whined at day-in day-out for delayed flights which the airline has little or no control over. Add to that a dismal gate area (last time I was there anyhow), and you have a recipe for irritation.

US made a major blunder by de-hubbing PIT and building more onto PHL.

lincoln

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:48 pm

On Sunday I flew US Airways for the first time in over 12 years, courtesy of Continental (who 'suprised' me when I volunteered a seat on an overbooked non-stop flight).

Overall I was unimpressed.

The flight itself was uneventful. The FAs were nice enough (though one of the flight attendants was barking at the passengers like a military drill instructor), and the aircraft was in decent condition, though I don't particularly care for the A319 and the advertisements on the tray tables made me want to barf.

On the ground, though, was a completely different situation. Remind me to never say a bad thing about a Continental CSR ever again. When I found the gate that the US flight was to depart from (B-something 14? 19?), there wasn't an agent there so I went to the customer service podium in the same area. There was one agent there and I was #8 in line. The agent was snapping at passengers (using lots of "I don't know" and "How would you expect me to know", frequently in conjunction with phrases like "dividend miles", "connection", and other things thet you expect someone who works for an airline to at least be able to find an answer for.

She was moving at a pace slightly slower than that of which paint dries, but eventually it was my turn. I asked my two questions -- namely (a) If the boarding pass Continental had given me was all I needed to board (Since I know *cough*some airlines*cough* use zone boarding, and the BP I had didn't have a zone number) and (b) If there was any chance of getting a bulkhead or exit row. (By this point the line had extended well beyond the queue that they had set up -- easily 20 or 30 people in line)

The answer to B shocked me -- namely "I don't know if I can change seat assignments." (Excuse me? Even I know the commands (at least in SABRE) to change a seat assignment. I can't imagine that this is an unusual question).

The answer to A was no, the CO boarding pass was fine. Ok. I moved on. Later I asked the gate agent the same question about A. She also said that that was all I needed.

Then boarding stareted -- by zones, of course -- and the gate agent was peeved that had the aducacity to ask what zone I was in. Well.... HOW THE HELL ELSE AM I SUPOSED to know what zone I'm in?

/end rant. That feels much better. Thanks for listening.

Of course every airline has their ups and downs, but I certainly didn't get a positive vibe from this experience, and CO has my standards set very high.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

JROTTO

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Two weeks ago as I was attempting to listen to a conversation between pilots and flight attendants at our gate in Charlotte in order to get some insight into the nature of our delay and all I heard was "We were doing better in bankruptcy"  white 

flyboyaz

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 39):
Of course every airline has their ups and downs, but I certainly didn't get a positive vibe from this experience, and CO has my standards set very high.

Very true...however I've lost count on how many rude CO agents I've come into contact with in the last 20 years....wish I had a dollar for every one! LOL Like when my flight from EWR - MHT was cancelled...I was 16 years old and they were sending me to BOS instead. I had to call my dad to come and pick me up there so I asked the agent if I could use the phone....she said no...not just no...but NO. I was like...umm, ok. Luckily I was able to find an agent that would let me....how nice.....

Another was when I was nonreving in IAH and I tried to get on a PHX flight because their EWR-IAH flight was an hour late and I missed my connection on HP. I knew the flight was full but I asked the agent if she could tell me how full it was....she was very rattled and didn't offer much help. When I gave her my boarding pass she noticed I was a nonrev and told me "Go sit down, I don't have time for you". Nice...again.

So yeah....I guess we can all have bad experiences on all airlines.

Quoting JROTTO (Reply 40):
"We were doing better in bankruptcy"

Riiiight....I'm sure they were thinking that when they went to cash their profit sharing check.....
Catch a ride on a smile!

mah584jr

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 32):
I wouldn't go that far...granted our systems are running like they should out here

After seeing what I've seen from both sides, I felt it necessary to go that far. You should be proud(I'm sure you are) of the job you guys do. You never seem understaved to me.

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 32):
I think they do care, it's just a matter of doing the "right" thing that will make everyone happy

I don't really know what to believe anymore. After seeing this:

Quoting KarlB737 (Reply 3):
Instead, US Airways CEO Doug Parker is repeatedly stating to both pilots and the media that he will continue to "just say no" at the negotiating table, contending that the pilots are overreaching during talks, although management is using over-inflated dollar amounts to make these claims.

I'm sure the ALPA is being dramatic, but all the bad press makes one wonder what's truly going on.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:06 pm

Quoting Mah584jr (Reply 42):
I'm sure the ALPA is being dramatic, but all the bad press makes one wonder what's truly going on.

The ALPA lives on being overdramatic. On the other hand, the other employee groups (other than management) are probably understating the situation.

USPIT10L

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:13 pm

True, but PHL's been a problem with US for eons, long before US/PI/PS merger mania.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 19):
Continental's "Go Forward" Plan might be a good place to start:

Fly to Win – Achieve above-average profits in a changed industry environment. Grow the airline to where it can make money and keep improving the business/leisure mix. Maximize distribution channels while reducing distribution costs and eliminating non-value-added costs.

Fund the Future – Manage company assets to maximize stockholder value and build for the future. Reduce costs with technology. Generate positive cash flow and improve financial flexibility by increasing its cash balance.

Make Reliability a Reality – Deliver an industry-leading product the airline is proud to sell. Rank among the top of the industry in the key DOT measurements: on-time arrivals, baggage handling, complaints and involuntary denied boardings. Keep improving the product.

Working Together – Help well-trained employees build careers they enjoy every day. Treat each other with dignity and respect. Focus on safety, make employee programs easy to use and keep improving communication. Keep pay and benefits competitive in a changed industry environment.

Created by a true Piedmont person. Couldn't have been constructed any better.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

PExDCA

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting B52murph (Reply 38):
US made a major blunder by de-hubbing PIT and building more onto PHL.

Bottom line is that PHL is a MUCH stronger O/D market than PIT will ever be and it just wasn't making money on the basis of connecting traffic, otherwise I'm sure that they would not have scaled it back to a (large) focus city. PHL has a very large local area population with a very strong, industry diverse (and international) business community that travels a lot. If PIT was a thrown away opportunity for US, someone wlse would have rushed in to fill the void by now.
"A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong." - Tecumseh

HPRamper

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting PExDCA (Reply 45):
Bottom line is that PHL is a MUCH stronger O/D market than PIT will ever be

And there we go.
PHL is the 4th largest market in the country. PIT....is nowhere close. As long as PHL remains the massive cash cow it is, it will never be de-hubbed. Sure, I think more east-west transcon connects should be routed through PIT and that may happen, but not to any great extent.

domokun

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:37 pm

FWIW, which won't be much since most of this thread documents the geography of discontent within US (or supposed problems, depending on your view), it was interesting to hear my wife's take on US. Over the holidays she flew PDX -> PHX with US; we made the reservations late and they had the only relatively sane fare. So, lower airfare is a good thing. Listening to my wife complain about everything which was annoying on the flight, not such a great thing. This, of course, comes from someone who really does not complain that much. Granted, nothing major, just little things.

IIRC the FAs had a really bad attitude, there were no peanuts (even), just some weird mix, the plane smelled, the landing was hard enough it apparently was annoying, etc... Granted, this is a subjective experience, though it seems to be much like the experiences I remember with HP before the merger.

With respect to the page included with the first post, I would take it with a grain of salt. Obviously when someone is upset, as in this case, they will usually go to great lengths to embellish the story. I think anyone would be hard press to find egregious problems with day-to-day ops @ US; however, I know I sure don't want to spend (more of) my money finding out.

Goldenshield

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:59 pm

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Reply 27):
in the six months I've been at my current job, two separate raises equaling 21.4%, based entirely on performance-related factors (ie. not seniority) and I love my job.

At minimum wage, ANYTHING is a big percentage.  Wink
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

itsnotfinals

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 46):
PHL is the 4th largest market in the country

Actually PHL is down to number 6, and in typical Philly Style they are not happy about it !

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...ports/articles/0327p2main0327.html
Speedbird 178 Heavy, FINAL runway 27L

UPS Pilot

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 pm

US Airways CLT Ops suck too. I have experienced and seen first hand. Lost luggage, piss poor customer service, rude employees, delays, and oh yeah don't bring a dog. I have seen them abuse dogs including my own on the ramp. PHL and CLT for that matter all of US Airways is really that bad for what I have seen. I know Chairmans Preferred (at least that is what they called it) frequent flyers walk away from US Airways because of this. It is a shame too because they were a really great airline at one time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos