Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IcelandairMSP
Topic Author

Possible/Planned Major Airport Developments

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:18 am

So, to lay out the basic question, what are the major airport development projects underway? And, what I find more elusive, which major airports are gearing up for significant expansions or are planning reliever/replacement fields?

I know:
SAN has their complex situation (small airport + big, swiftly expanding city + lots of hills + ocean = problem)
LAS has a general plan for a reliever airport at Ivanpah
ORD will eventually undergo its runway restructuring and open a western terminal complex
SJC is significantly expanding and altering its terminal space and arrangement
SEA is adding another runway
MIA is opening its South Terminal complex + big new concourse J
DTW is rebuilding its North Terminal complex and gradually adding gates to concourses B and C
MSP is (or at least was) planning on extending concourse G further (to become "H") and ousting non-Skyteam airlines to the HHH terminal which would gradually expand
IND has its handsome new midfield terminal
RDU is rebuilding terminal C
ATL will build some new international terminal
JFK is finishing up the phase II of the AA terminal (with the final buildout on hold) and B6 is building the new terminal 5

I'd go into the rest of the world too as I'm aware of quite a few developments (LHR, YYZ, PEK, PVG, etc.) but Asia included, there's so much going on I don't know where to start. So, for now, I'm mostly curious about airports in the US.

I ask this question because airport developments, even in spite of their size, tend to get lost under other airline news on this site and simply in general. Additionally, the time it takes to complete or reevaluate new airport developments is lengthy meaning coverage is sparse and often hard to locate. So for those of you in the vicinity of problematic airports, please share if you know what happens to be going on with your home base, even if it is still in planning stages, unannounced or, heck, even just a debate.

But here are some fodder questions:
JFK: It seems to be growing so fast, but AA doesn't seem to be taking advantage of their new terminal (from what I can tell), will it every be built fully? When is it plausible for Terminal 4 to expand its concourses? If Delta keeps chugging along, are there plans to redevelop 2 and 3? Might as well just ask about 6 (once JetBlue has its new terminal) and 7 as well.
BOS: Big city, hemmed in airport, and a whole lot of suburbia. What next? Will there ever be a new airport? Is there something more than can be done about Logan?
IAD: With DCA pretty much maxed, will they ever build higher-quality, permanent concourses instead of the shoddy, unattractive ones they have currently?
MIA: What happened to the North terminal?
IAH: (shudder) Tell me they're going to do something about this airport even though E is new.
PHX: Same reaction. What gives? It seems to be growing so fast but I can't find any evidence of a push to expand or at least add or renovate a terminal or two.
LAX: So they eschewed a midfield redevelopment. Didn't the public really just quash any prospect of expansion? Are there at least plans to smooth out some of the more cattle car-like terminals? Or is one of the area airports supposed to take over where LAX might leave off?
SLC: From what I hear the airport is bursting at the seams. Any expansion?
ATL: Sure, it's a great, efficient airport, but those are some of the most droll, ugly concourses I have ever been in. I suppose in ATL's case if it's not broke don't fix it, but really?

Okay. I'm done.

Cactus742

RE: Possible/Planned Major Airport Developments

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:21 am

PHX is tearing down T2, getting a new 33-gate terminal and a new train system.

See https://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3269269/
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

722 732/3/4/5/5/6/7/8/9 744 752/3 763 772/3 788/9 319 320 321 332/3 388 MD82/83/88/90 CR1/2/7/9 E140/145/170/175/190 DH8-1/3 Q400 S340

srbmod

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:35 am

Quoting IcelandairMSP (Thread starter):
ATL: Sure, it's a great, efficient airport, but those are some of the most droll, ugly concourses I have ever been in. I suppose in ATL's case if it's not broke don't fix it, but really?

When was the last time you flew into/out of ATL? They've been doing quite a bit of interior upgrades and renovations on every concourse and the Transportation Mall (the APM stations and the walkways between the concourses) over the last year or so. Replacing carpets with tile on the concourse walkways, new carpeting in the gate areas, upgraded food court areas, improved lighting just to name a few things. The concourses that the improvements have been done on look a lot brighter than they did a year ago.

ATL will build some new international terminal

After that terminal project is completed, the next proposed project is the South Gate Complex. With the new international facility being delayed, this in turn pushed back the start for this project as well.

There is also the CONRAC facility which is currently being built as an off-site facility that will relocate all of the on-site rental car facilities and will be connected to the main terminal via an extension of the APM and via access roads.

Most of the ongoing projects @ ATL are listed here:

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Defau...s/ground_transportation/gtpage.htm

BrettFromCLT

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:43 am

CLT is getting a third parallel/fourth overall runway.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Airport/About+CLT/Construction+Update.htm

[Edited 2007-03-29 01:45:47]

apodino

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:53 am

IAH: (shudder) Tell me they're going to do something about this airport even though E is new.

Whats wrong with IAH? They just built a new runway, the airport can run triple approaches, (Not sure if they can run 33 at the same time as well), they have a very well laid out terminal complex, terminal A was rebuilt, B is going to eventually be rebuilt as well. They have done plenty with this airport, and I think its one of the finest of the major airline hubs in the country.

BOS: Big city, hemmed in airport, and a whole lot of suburbia. What next? Will there ever be a new airport? Is there something more than can be done about Logan?

Don't even get me started about this airport. They have rebuilt a terminal, renovated roadways, renovated the international terminal, opened a new runway, and the airport still sucks in my opinion. What I wish they could do with this airport is blow up the whole terminal complex and rebuild, but it won't happen. And I don't see a new airport being built. One of the problems with the existing Airport is NIMBYs, some of which are 20 miles from the airport, so BED isn't a viable option. The only parcel of land that I think would be viable to build a new airport is a parcel of land between the I-95,93 interchange south of the city, and the Boston neighborhood of Readville, which is plenty of open land. However the land is enviornmentally sensitive, and its very close to the Mayor, which means it will never happen.

THe other possible option for a new airport would be the abandonded Naval Air Station in Weymouth, which actually has good commuter rail access already, but its southeast of the city, and if it did open, MHT would become a more convienient option for people north of the city.

I think BOS is well served, and I will use it, but I try to avoid it and use PVD when I can. I can get to all the same places out of PVD that I can out of BOS, and TSA is much less of a hastle, plus there are no delay programs in PVD.

BA

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:04 am

DEN will extend the main terminal (Jeppesen Terminal) to the south by 1/3 of its current size. It will include an underground train station for a future rail line to Denver's Union Station located in downtown. This will all be done by 2015 which is when the rail line will be completed.

In the more nearer term, Concourse C will be expanded to the east by at least 8 gates and a 518-room 5-star hotel connected to the terminal will be constructed.

The 16-gate regional facility on the east end of Concourse B for United Express is nearing completition and will open in April.

A fourth module for the West Garage is under construction and will be completed next year.

Airport officials are currently negotiating with Frontier about expanding and upgrading the regional gates on the east end of Concourse A, although nothing is final yet.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Matt1167

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:07 am

ACY is currently undergoing a large terminal restoration project.

The terminal is being expanded from one concourse (7 gates, as of right now) to three concourses.

This is being done in order to attract more carriers and make ACY into more of a "major" airport, rather than a "regional" airport.

SANFan

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:20 am

SAN has their complex situation (small airport + big, swiftly expanding city + lots of hills + ocean = problem)

Good topic, Ice'.
I hope someone in the know can enlighten all of us re: Lindbergh Field expansion. There is a 10-gate T2West expansion project on the table and I have heard rumors that environmental clean-up (pre-construction) started March 1 but I have seen no confirmation of this anywhere. Nor have I even seen confirmation that any of the possible options for the
expansion have actually been accepted/approved. I do know that something needs to be started NOW -- more gates are needed long before any new (planned and un-built) ones will be ready to use.

We currently (officially) have 41 main-terminal gates (+ 4 Commuter Terminal gates) that serve 17+M pax a year (all via one runway of course.) I'm curious how that compares the other airports out there...

bb

r311music

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:32 am

MCO is building a new international terminal. Probably be finished next century.
confusing use of time

af773atmsp

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:52 am

Now the MSP Airport 2020 Vision Plan is set to begin in 2008 I believe. Why is the new H concourse only going to used for NW's narrow body aircraft? NW will be getting 787s, so there should be more international gates (or wide body aircraft gates).  Confused

I wonder if there is any expansion plans going on at the Duluth International Airport (DLH)?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

vv701

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:57 am

LHR has T5 opening in just one year. BAA (the LHR operator) also has plans to demolish T2 and expand T3 into what it calls Heathrow East and to build a third, shorter runway to the existing two runways.

SLCUT2777

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:04 am

They recently fired an airport director who wanted to massively expand and demolish the existing terminal facilities. Yes, SLC is bursting at the seams, but there still is no real viable plan to improve things other than band-aid approaches. I think paranoia reigns supreme here in that all the airport personnel think SLC is going to shrink and contract and DL will somehow pull their hub and go elsewhere. So they then are afraid to make any drastic changes.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

RDUDDJI

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:07 am

A wise man told me a few years ago (speaking about U.S. airports): "If your airport is not under construction, then you're in trouble." Truthfully, I can't think of a major airport Cat X or Cat I that is not under some sort of construction in the U.S... Much of it is because they are so old and the aviation landscape has greatly changed in the last 5 years.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

rampart

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:10 am

Whatever happened to the Burbank new terminal? I think it was supposed to go where the old Lockheed buildings were. I presume something nixed it, but don't know why.

-Rampart

mrstl

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:52 am

STL is undergoing rennovations and restructuring of ticketing, baggage, food courts, additional retail and an added canopy to the front. Here is a slide show of the rennovations.

http://www.downtownstl.org/docs/AirportPresentation.pdf

nyc2theworld

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:33 pm

EWR - The PANYNJ included in its capital plan renovations to terminal "B" for more ticket counter space and make it more like terminal "C" with two check-in levels. Also, aren't there rumors of plans for terminal A too?

Also according to Forbes Newark and Denver are the two fastest growing airports in the US! Who knew Newark!

http://www.forbes.com/logistics/2007...-logistics-cx_rm_0322airports.html
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

centrair

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:44 pm

It is small, but CWA is considering either to rebuild at the current terminal or build a new facility opposite of the current facility.

The population in the CWA catchment is growing and CWA is going to become an MX facility for Mesaba. Exciting for central Wisconsin.

Over here in Japan.

Shizouka International Airport (waste of money).
This will be basically between Tokyo and Nagoya.

NGO is looking at adding a 2nd runway so that if can be a true 24 hour facility.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

atlaaron

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:55 pm

ATL: Sure, it's a great, efficient airport, but those are some of the most droll, ugly concourses I have ever been in.

Have you checked out the new DL check-in area in the South Terminal? Although it needs more ropes to direct traffic and keep passengers in actual lines, it sure is easy on the eyes.

RL757PVD

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:07 pm

As someone who works as the middle man for airport developments (consultant) i will say there are two very opposite sides to this coin!

Airport - wants to build to better accomodate more passengers and generate more revenue

Airline - wants the airport to do nothing than absolute necessary so that costs do not go up.

The primary culprit for this is Southwest. As an aviation enthusist i think southwest is a great well run business. As a consultant, Southwest is a huge threat to airport development projects. We saw what they wanted to do with SEA because the terminal and runway costs were too high for their liking. WN needs to accept that fact the airports need to build things and that their costs at these airports are going to go up. If the project was not justified, the FAA wouldnt be funding/approving it! Im sure other LCCs are saying similar things to airports they serve, but WN is the only one with enough weight to throw around.

We just need to hope that in the end smart planning will prevail, and result in adequate facilities to accomodate future demand. Hopefully airlines like WN will not impede airport development projects that arent consistent with what they need. This is particualrly the case at airports where they have over 40% of the market share and can really make or break projects.

Thankfully i have no WN airport clients at the moment!
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

b52murph

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 18):
The primary culprit for this is Southwest. As an aviation enthusist i think southwest is a great well run business. As a consultant, Southwest is a huge threat to airport development projects. We saw what they wanted to do with SEA because the terminal and runway costs were too high for their liking. WN needs to accept that fact the airports need to build things and that their costs at these airports are going to go up. If the project was not justified, the FAA wouldnt be funding/approving it! Im sure other LCCs are saying similar things to airports they serve, but WN is the only one with enough weight to throw around.

Speaking of WN...is there any plans to overhaul the DAL terminal? I connected there two days ago routed ABQ-DAL-SAT....and while I appreciated the nearby gates, availabilty of services, and 'classic' feel, the stained carpet and the rust on the jetway @ Gate 1 left me scratching my head. BTW...saw Herb's parking spot under Gate 1. Cool!

airfrnt

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting NYC2theworld (Reply 15):
Also according to Forbes Newark and Denver are the two fastest growing airports in the US!

In DEN's case, Thank you WN.

Quoting NYC2theworld (Reply 15):
Who knew Newark!

And it's going to get bigger...Possibly a lot bigger with OpenSkies in place.

If the project was not justified, the FAA wouldnt be funding/approving it!

Calling on the all knowing nature of a US government agency hardly seems like a great appeal to authority. WN tends to be fairly accurate with their projections on what local Airports need for them to be profitable. They abandoned Stapleton in DEN because the airfield simply could not be made efficent, and came back when the price at DEN was right. I think we will see them continue to drive traffic, most notably if they start entering markets like ATL.

HA_DC9

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:26 pm

HNL is getting ready for a $2.3 Billion rennovation. Improvements all around are coming including demolishing the Diamond Head concourse (NW, UA gates) and the Ewa concourse (HA, JL, ANA, etc) and replacing them with new concourses. Diagram in the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu_International_Airport.

Boeing7E7

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:18 pm

Yes. Now that they fired the guy that didn't like the idea of modernizing the terminal complex ala DEN. They have some runway improvement plans as well. The airport has plenty of runway capacity but it's terminal is built aound 1970's terminal layout philosphy for hub airports and is increibly inefficient.

IcelandairMSP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 9):
I wonder if there is any expansion plans going on at the Duluth International Airport (DLH)?

My former home airport, how about that. I just flew in last week and . . . no. They now have three airlines and more flights than ever before, if I'm correct, and if American Eagle ever comes back they might have to put in a jet bridge on gate 3, but its a relatively poor, stagnant (in terms of growth, it is by no means down-and-out) region.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 2):
When was the last time you flew into/out of ATL? They've been doing quite a bit of interior upgrades and renovations on every concourse and the Transportation Mall (the APM stations and the walkways between the concourses) over the last year or so.

I fly through two or three times a year and I've seen some of the improvements. But, I don't think its unfair to make a comparison with an airport like, say, DTW whose main terminal is crisp, linear, and bright or goodness knows a lot of similarly-sized Euro terminals like A at BRU, 3 at ZRH, and OSL aren't geared largely toward non-EU flights like many other spectacular Euro terminals are, yet they are impressively open and airy, afford wonderful views of the airfield, have really fetching architecture, are simple and linear (I know ATL's are too, but the exterior has the awkward setback arrangement of most US airports), etc. Are no American airports out there enamored with the new airport architecture and feel? We pioneered it so long ago with TWA at JFK, IAD, and STL, so why are airports (I'm talking to you IAD) content to let their terminals look like the airport equivalant of tract housing?

Another fodder question:
How does PHL deal with its site which, like BOS, is deep within urbanized Philadelphia?
Does BWI ever plan on refurbishing at least Concourse D with its tool shed black aluminum exterior?
Oh, and MCI. The airport that tried to reduce the number of steps from plane to car so much that . . . well, theno-security threat set of terminals is so severely outdated and awkward for the airport, you'd think they would build some sort of new terminal and maybe make it more of an attractive hub location. Any talk of that in the area? It's a big site on the outskirts of town.
If ORD wants to move forward with its plans at all, don't they have to further reduce congestion? What's the timeline? I feel like when sitting and watching all the queued wide-bodies are surrounded by the infestation of bitty little RJs, if ORD has such a presence, couldn't they somehow limit take-off/landing slots to force AA/UA to use bigger planes or, hell, just limit planes to 100 seats or bigger? How else are they ever going to take on such a large construction project in the main airfield?

Boeing7E7

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting IcelandairMSP (Reply 23):
ORD has such a presence, couldn't they somehow limit take-off/landing slots to force AA/UA to use bigger planes or, hell, just limit planes to 100 seats or bigger?

Because they operate a system of airports, ORD can impose any reasonable restrictions they would like on smaller aircraft. Just not sure how AA and UA would react to it.

tsra

Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Oh, and MCI. The airport that tried to reduce the number of steps from plane to car so much that . . . well, theno-security threat set of terminals is so severely outdated and awkward for the airport, you'd think they would build some sort of new terminal and maybe make it more of an attractive hub location. Any talk of that in the area?

There is a study going on to replace the three "C" shaped terminals for one large terminal.

Also, ICT is working on a new terminal.

RL757PVD

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 20):
Calling on the all knowing nature of a US government agency hardly seems like a great appeal to authority. WN tends to be fairly accurate with their projections on what local Airports need for them to be profitable. They abandoned Stapleton in DEN because the airfield simply could not be made efficent, and came back when the price at DEN was right. I think we will see them continue to drive traffic, most notably if they start entering markets like ATL.

The FAA isnt as bad as other government agencies. Airports's Capital Improvement plans often have more than what the FAA can afford, and many projects are often not funded in the year desired by the airport. Often times airports are actually competing with other airports for federal $$$, so the most beneficial projects tend to rise to the top.

WN is typically opposed to any projects that do not support their model. If an airport needs a longer runway for cargo, legaciy or international flights, but WN can do what they need to do, they will oppose it, and if their market share is high enough they can screw the airport out of improvements needed for other airlines or uses. Same goes for nicer/newer terminals or any other thigns that will increase costs. The airports are looking 10+ years down the road when they go to plan and build things becuase its takes alot of time and coordination on their part, WN/LCCs are looking more in the 1-5 year revenue timeframe and not as long term as the airports typically do.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

PVD757

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:26 pm

PVD:

currently undway:
- new information booth (open)
- new screening checkpoint and larger, consolidated, less confusing passenger overflow queuing area for the checkpoint (done)
- seperation of all arrving and departing passengers by level. New arrival 'ramps' directly from concourses to bag claim - to open in June
- new inline automated outbound baggage processing system (removal of large bag x-ray machines from ticket lobbies) - end of 2007
- an entirely new food and retail concessions 'package' with expanded and 'brand name' options throughout the terminal facility (2 CNBC news stores, Chili's, Quiznos, Johnny Rockets, Wolfgang Puck restaurant, Famous Familia Pizza, 2 Starbucks, another Dunkin Donuts, and more are all highly rumored righ now) to open in late summer/fall
- additional ticket counters (7 counter positions, plus 4 being vacated by NK, nevermind the ones that AA/DL/US/NW don't use)
- expanded FIS (customs) baggage claim area
- additional and renovated airline bag service offices (BSO's)
- a new 'intermodal' facility with parking structure to house all car rentals, (expanded) RIPTA bus, MBTA commuter rail (same train service to BOS - south station and new station to the south of PVD - Wickford) future AMTRAK NEC service (being negotiated), food court area and other business amenities. This new complex will be located just across the front of the terminal and will be connected using a fully enclosed elevated walkway with moving sidewalks, motorized cart, other vendor services with future connecting halls being added to connect future hotels. Scheduled to open in late 2009.

airport master plan (in process of being updated/completed):

lengthen main runway to 9350 feet
6-8 gate expansion of south concourse (long term new concourse from middle of current terminal)
relocated/new air cargo complex
relocated/new belly cargo and GSE buildings
expanded fuel storage
related airfield/taxiway improvements

scouseflyer

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:42 pm

As far as my part of the UK goes:

LHR has been mentioned before,

MAN is adding a satelite to T2 (if you zoom in on Google Earth you'll see a strip of grass in the middle of the Apron in front of T2 apparntly when T2 was built this was ear-marked for this purpose and a tunnel was pre-built so that the tarmac doesn't have to be ripped up), there's also talk of a separate LoCo terminal but I don't know anything about that.

LPL has submitted a planning request for a frieght terminal on the opposite side of the runway to the Pax terminal and a request for a proper road link this coupled with looking again at the already granted permission for a runway extension should mean exciting times in Liverpool.

I also remember my friend who used to work at Newcastle telling me that the airport had bought a lot of the land at one end of the runway in case it ever decided to extend but this is just a contingency at the moment.

Coronado990

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:58 pm

Indeed this problem will require some creative thinking, not just another "big box" airport somewhere to replace the old one. One such mini-solution is a terminal straddling the border so passengers from San Diego can easily park on the U.S. side and then take a secured walkway over to the TIJ Terminal. This would allow us to fly to Latin American countries without the need of going to LAX.

I would hope that it would also stimulate more intercontinental traffic from our region to Central and South America, Asia and Europe (such as IB from MAD). However, just based on the amount of flights TIJ has now with the increase of LCC's throughout Mexico, I'd say this is a logical choice. Passengers from San Diego would have the same access into Mexico as say our much larger counterparts in LAX or IAH. Funding has been approved to look into the feasibility of this project.

More info...
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...na/20060124-9999-1m24terminal.html
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

Boeing7E7

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 29):
One such mini-solution is a terminal straddling the border so passengers from San Diego can easily park on the U.S. side and then take a secured walkway over to the TIJ Terminal. This would allow us to fly to Latin American countries without the need of going to LAX.

There are a couple of issues with this though.

1. The US carriers will never use it, so the main beneficiaries are Mexico's carriers (Revenue diversion).
2. It only solves some long haul flights, about 6 a day, assuming international carriers use it.

It still doesn't solve the big problem... Lindbergh.

[Edited 2007-03-29 17:14:44]

alphascan

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:26 am

My former home airport, how about that. I just flew in last week and . . . no. They now have three airlines and more flights than ever before, if I'm correct, and if American Eagle ever comes back they might have to put in a jet bridge on gate 3, but its a relatively poor, stagnant (in terms of growth, it is by no means down-and-out) region

Now, now. Let's not go speaking out of the past. DTH's growth in new airlines is directly attributable to the growth of the area's economic vitality-- isn't that usually the case.

The Iron Range is booming. They can't ship ore to Asia fast enough, all which has to go through (and benefits) Duluth on the way. The mines are hiring engineers at the fastest pace in their history. Hardly poor or stagnant in terms of growth.

Will there ever be a major expansion of DTH? Probably not. It was overbuilt by the politicos many years ago.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

Coronado990

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 30):
There are a couple of issues with this though.

I know, it's just a nibble at the problem. Just one of many nibbles. But I have learned that many nibbles do add up.

1. The US carriers will never use it, so the main beneficiaries are Mexico's carriers (Revenue diversion).

I would never suggest that a U.S. originating pax travel to TIJ to catch a flight to, let's say, PHX. What I would hope that would happen, though, is that US Airways and the like will start looking at TIJ a bit more seriously and start serving it to reach the locals in TIJ and encourage them to start using their own airport to get to places in the U.S.

2. It only solves some long haul flights, about 6 a day, assuming international carriers use it.

6 long hauls a day would be more than satisfactory!!!
SFO=NoCal LAX=SoCal SAN=LoCal

a380us

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:04 am

When is it plausible for Terminal 4 to expand its concourses?

i dont think they need to it has a lot of airlines but not that many flights the most is i think EI with 3 or 4 flights LY with 4 sometimes 5 VS with 4 and CO with i dont know 4 or 5

so they dont need to many because the airlines mostly park the planes right on the side and maybe theyll expand it for the A380 id guess one for A and one for B

It seems to be growing so fast, but AA doesn't seem to be taking advantage of their new terminal (from what I can tell), will it every be built fully?

well the new terminal nine doesnt have customs yet so they need to keep towing the aircraft back to T8

Quoting Coronado990 (Reply 29):

as someone else stated it would need a new airport
and what i believe is the best option is probably mirmar
www.JandACosmetics.com

GneissGuy

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:09 am

Singapore's Changi Airport will open Terminal 3 next year - most likely dedicated to serving SQ. However, i hear that they are already drafting out plans for T4 and T5 in the airport masterplan, with the plan for T4 likely to be announced soon in the light of increasing traffic.......

desertjets

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:20 am

IAD: With DCA pretty much maxed, will they ever build higher-quality, permanent concourses instead of the shoddy, unattractive ones they have currently?

You've never been in the B terminal then? If you are ever at Dulles and have time to kill, head over there and walk around. It is rather nice.

There is a TON of major projects currently underway at Dulles. First the "Aerotrain" is under construction. No idea how far along it is, but there are some big holes in the ground where you can see the tunneling work. The B terminal extension is well underway, and once the station for the aerotrain on the west side of B is complete they'll start work on the segment connecting the extension to the existing part of the terminal.

The work on the 3rd N/S parallel is underway and there is a scheduled opening date in 2008.

I do not believe there is any definitive timetable for the new C/D terminal. I've flown out of it recently, and while it is no architectural masterpiece, it isn't the dump that people make it out to be. Certainly United SHOULD invest in building a better facility, ideally one that could also better incorporate their Express operations in the same building, as opposed to splitting between C/D and A.

Thankfully Metro Washington Airports has put together a decent website with all of the currently planned Dulles upgrades.

http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/d2_dulles_development_2/d2_home
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

IAHFLYR

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 4):
Not sure if they can run 33 at the same time as well),

No, Runway 33L/R are too close (1,000' between centerlines) and don't use them for landings unless a very very strong and then it is ILS 33R or visuals 33L. Only way to use both 33L/R at same time visual separation has to be used between the aircraft.

Quoting Apodino (Reply 4):
Whats wrong with IAH?

Yeah, what is wrong with IAH???
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Mikey711MN

Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 9):
Why is the new H concourse only going to used for NW's narrow body aircraft? NW will be getting 787s, so there should be more international gates (or wide body aircraft gates).

For one, the International Arrivals facility is consolidated on the other end of G, i.e. away from the direction that H will ultimately expand towards, so building those gates for 787's--the select few that MSP would ever see--would mean either a significant reorientation or a brand new second IAF. Somehow I doubt that this is economical versus, say, combining G7-G8 and G9-G10 into widebody-capable gates, which would give you a net loss of two narrowbody gates that could easily be accommodated in a eastward expansion of H.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

shanderawx

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 pm

SAT is planning a new set of terminal to replace the old one.

YLWbased

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:16 pm

HKG is talking about a 3rd rwy, and more small "terminals" like T2 will be built in the future.

YLW is extending the rwy to 9000ft and expending the terminal.

YVR is under going a major terminal expansion project.

PEK is expending for Olympic 2008.
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

kaitak744

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:32 pm

JFK: It seems to be growing so fast, but AA doesn't seem to be taking advantage of their new terminal (from what I can tell), will it every be built fully? When is it plausible for Terminal 4 to expand its concourses? If Delta keeps chugging along, are there plans to redevelop 2 and 3? Might as well just ask about 6 (once JetBlue has its new terminal) and 7 as well.

Yes, the AA situation at JFK is quite sad.
Original:

After the airline lost money and pride:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/Kaitak744/IMG_0597.jpg

T4 can easily expand its concourses and lobby with minimal effort and service disruption. It is just a matter of when.
T2&3 well, that is really Delta's big mess. Those need to be demolished and rebuilt.
T7 is new (renovated), and in British Airways control.
T6 ????????????????????

LAX: So they eschewed a midfield redevelopment. Didn't the public really just quash any prospect of expansion? Are there at least plans to smooth out some of the more cattle car-like terminals? Or is one of the area airports supposed to take over where LAX might leave off?

They just finished the new runway. For now, once the center taxiway on the southern airfield is finished, they have plans to renovate TBIT (give it lounges, new baggage systems, ect). They also are thinking about moving the AA hangars west, near the remote gates, and adding gates on the other side of TBIT.

Quoting Scouseflyer (Reply 28):
MAN is adding a satelite to T2 (if you zoom in on Google Earth you'll see a strip of grass in the middle of the Apron in front of T2 apparntly when T2 was built this was ear-marked for this purpose and a tunnel was pre-built so that the tarmac doesn't have to be ripped up),

Wow, I did not know that. Any plans of drawings showing this?

Also, is there anything planned for the AA terminal at ORD? I hear it is kind of old.

fewsolarge

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:46 pm

If the project was not justified, the FAA wouldnt be funding/approving it!

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 40):
Yes, the AA situation at JFK is quite sad.

I wouldn't call a beautiful new terminal with room for expansion sad. Just look across the airport at their biggest competition's terminals ... that's sad.

SailorOrion

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:26 pm

MUC:

1) Approval procedures for the 3rd runway in progress, construction expected to finish 2011 (my guess is rather 2012), allowing triple simultaneous independent operations (not decided whether 3 arrival streams will be used, would require a PRM and FMA), bringing hourly capacity to 120ops

2) Extension of Terminal 2 in planning phase (about 20-40 additional jetways) adding 12-14 Million Pax annually in capacity

3) Maglev to downtown, additional regional and local train services (rebuilt station)

SailorOrion

CXfirst

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 10):
build a third, shorter runway to the existing two runways.

There was also a plan to build a terminal 6 inbetween the new runway (if it ever happens) and the current northern runway. However, I'm not sure that this is still the case.

Quoting GneissGuy (Reply 34):
Singapore's Changi Airport will open Terminal 3 next year - most likely dedicated to serving SQ. However, i hear that they are already drafting out plans for T4 and T5 in the airport masterplan, with the plan for T4 likely to be announced soon in the light of increasing traffic.......

Any link to this about T4 and T5, I'm interested. Any link to the master plan?

-CXfirst

AirlineBrat

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:02 pm

SMF is in the process of replacing Terminal B. I am not sure when construction will start but they have selected a preferred terminal design as of last year. Here is more info.... http://www.sacairports.org/int/planning/TMP.htm
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

vega

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:45 pm

How does PHL deal with its site which, like BOS, is deep within urbanized Philadelphia?

http://www.phl-cep-eis.com/project-description.asp
Click on the Images for an expanded view (.pdf).
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

BigJimFX

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 pm

DFW is working on a new perimeter taxiway system beginning with the SE portion. Not to mention the numerous pavement, and lighting rehab things going on, plus a bridge rehab thing should be in progress . Also Terminal F is in the works.

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 12):
A wise man told me a few years ago (speaking about U.S. airports): "If your airport is not under construction, then you're in trouble." Truthfully, I can't think of a major airport Cat X or Cat I that is not under some sort of construction in the U.S... Much of it is because they are so old and the aviation landscape has greatly changed in the last 5 years.

I agree... Oneof the best thing about an airport... It's never finished!
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

shamrock350

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:56 pm

As for Ireland:

Dublin - Pier D

• Pier D, which will open this autumn at a cost of €120m, is a new 15,000 sq metre boarding gate facility.
  • The new pier will have 12 boarding gates serving 14 aircraft parking stands.
  • Pier D is being built at the Northern end of the airport complex.
  • Pier D will serve mainly short-haul flights and is expected to be used by low-cost airlines and by up to 10m passengers per year.

The new elevated walkway

• A new-elevated walkway that will curve in front of the original 1940s terminal building at Dublin Airport will connect the Pier to the existing passenger terminal building.

Terminal 2

• The new second terminal at Dublin Airport will cost €395m at current prices and will be capable of comfortably handling up to 15 million passengers per year.
  • The terminal is designed to meet the needs of both long-haul and short-haul passengers and airlines.
  • The main operator is expected to be Aer Lingus.

bmacleod

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:23 am

I know YYZ has recieved most attention as far as Canada is concerned but is anyone familiar of the major development going on at YUL?

http://www.admtl.com/the_new_montreal.aspx?id=36

[Edited 2007-04-04 19:26:40]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

ATCGOD

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:52 am

Don't forget PDX expanding 28R/10L to 9,828'. Environmental impact study should be underway or underway shortly with construction in 2009/2010...tentatively planned of course.

PDX_NREX_Home.aspx" target=_blank>http://www.portofportland.com/Prj_PDX_NREX_Home.aspx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos