Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl

RE: Some UA News

Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:44 am

Seems to me passengers would be very happy if UA introduces a more spacious F class layout ala Continental Airlines.
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Con...ntal_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_I.php

Current UA 24 seat F configuration provides for tight 38 inch pitch, merely only 2 inches more then the UA Economy Plus.

A spaced out F cabin could provide upwards of 50 inches of room, and provide more appropriate F class product.
(keep in mind also Virgin America will be launching with a 55 inch pitch F class product also http://www.virginamerica.com/difference/ )
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

caetravlr

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:49 pm

Quoting Skytony (Reply 42):
For those that care about the soda they drink when they fly. United is switching back to Coke in May.

Are you serious? As a KO stockholder who also personally just doesn't like the taste of Pepsi, this has been the one problem that I have had with United all along. Not enough that it has kept me from being loyal, but the one thing that I have wished was different.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

shane

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Skytony (Reply 42):
For those that care about the soda they drink when they fly. United is switching back to Coke in May.

Now there's some good news!

shane

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:18 am

Regarding seat reconfigs:

I was on UA901 FRA-SFO the other day, and when my business class foot rest fell apart and couldn't be reassembled or retracted, I mentioned to one of the (perpetually pissed-off septuagenarian) flight attendants, "oh well, I hear UA is getting new biz seats anyway". She proceeded to explain to me that on the 744s, which would be getting the new business configuration first, we would see approximately HALF as many business class seats, which essentially means NO MORE UPGRADES. Needless to say this put the 1Ks in the vicinity in a bit of a tizzy. Nice way to end an 11hr flight!

Is she right about this? I hope not. If she is, I'm heading over to LH for my Atlantic trips. It might be cramped, but at least I can go nonstop to MUC from SFO and I won't be nickeled & dimed for a glass of cheap wine if I do get stuck in coach.

UAL777UK

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:32 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 53):
She proceeded to explain to me that on the 744s, which would be getting the new business configuration first, we would see approximately HALF as many business class seats, which essentially means NO MORE UPGRADES.

I dont believe that for one minute, its one thing to take seats out of a domestic 757 but just put say 35 seats on a 747 is just rediculous. I cannot see tha happening, UA would be getting their throats if they did that. Also IIRC the 767's are being reconfigured firstly not the 747's!

halls120

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:18 am

Quoting Carfield (Reply 49):
The Airbus A319 idea is great, because last minute changes are frequent with A319s/A320s.

But the Boeing 757 idea is stupid and totally uncalled for. That will definitely cause an uproar among the FF especially the elites.

Carfield

I've fired off an e-mail to United expressing my displeasure with this decision. I hope other UA FF'ers do the same.

As much as I like Economy plus and Channel 9, if it becomes harder to get an upgrade on UA than on its competitors, I'm switching to AA(ugh), CO, or DL.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AADC10

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:40 am

She proceeded to explain to me that on the 744s, which would be getting the new business configuration first, we would see approximately HALF as many business class seats

There has not been specific information regarding this, but UAUA investor statements have mentioned "right sizing" (a.k.a. shrinking) F and C to match demand. Any "lie-flat" C seat would probably reduce the seat count considerably even without changing the size of the cabin.

I think the FA is telling you this because you should pressure management not to go too far in reducing F and C seats. The old ladies are not just grumpy, they see the decline too. Some of the old 742s to Japan were two-thirds F and C, with Y being only past the last bulkhead. The meals had more courses and just about everything was slightly better.

shane

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 54):
35 seats on a 747 is just rediculous

I agree and so did the FA. Actually she said it would be 40something (she knew exact numbers which made it sound credible), and that the number of economy seats would increase. This would be big news, indeed. She went on to explain that UA wants to have all revenue customers up front. We'll see...

UAL777UK

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 57):
I agree and so did the FA. Actually she said it would be 40something (she knew exact numbers which made it sound credible), and that the number of economy seats would increase. This would be big news, indeed. She went on to explain that UA wants to have all revenue customers up front. We'll see...

Interesting that she seems to know a lot more than most others at UA....as you said, we'll see but I cannot see UA losing 30 seats in J, sure as AADC10 states there may be a reduction of sorts but nothing along the lines she was indicating.

LAXintl

Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 57):
UA wants to have all revenue customers up front.

A laudable business goal. Hopefully provide an upgraded product which will aid the carrier to sell much higher portion of seats, instead of craming half the cabin with upgrades.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

RDUDDJI

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:08 am

She proceeded to explain to me that on the 744s, which would be getting the new business configuration first, we would see approximately HALF as many business class seats, which essentially means NO MORE UPGRADES. Needless to say this put the 1Ks in the vicinity in a bit of a tizzy. Nice way to end an 11hr flight!

Don't believe the "self appointed seat planner". I've seen the new F seats (hint: they were in a publicly released document last year), they are about the same size as the old ones. And, I seriously doubt they'll take out more than a few seats when they do C class on the widebodies.

The sad truth in our industry is: People want cheap. It used to be that companies would pay to fly their peeps up front, but now they are just as cheap as everyone else. Costs are a key focus item for U.S. companies these days. It's hard to validate sending your peeps around up front when the back gets there at the same time... I'm not saying I agree with that assessment, but that's just the way it is these days.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

adizzy

Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:13 am

WOW....how about they make sure the fleet actually works before they do this.......

I have been travelling on United's 757 often in the past couple of weeks.....for a total of 13 times....mostly between BOS ORD and LAX . Out of those 13 flights 8 of the flights had mechanical problems! Is there something wrong with their jets? Or do they just not keep the mx up?

My flight this morning from BOS - ORD had to return to the gate twice for complete power failure ( the crew said that this is what it was). We were taxing and everything turned off- even the engines. We were towed back to the terminal and not let off the jet. the mechanic did something....we pushed back...began to taxi again and the same thing happen all over again. As we pushed back for the third time the pilot got on the intercom and said "Third time is always the charm"!

The rest of the flights had issues with flaps.....tire pressure...lighting issue.....something indicating that a door was open....oils problems.....the list continues.....all minor problems...but the occurrence is pretty damn high!

What do you think is up?

IADCRJ

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting OOer (Reply 8):
UA should allow one of the UAX carriers to get 10 Q400s and just fly those in and out of IAD to cities such as PHL/BOS/JFK/CLT/PIT etc...

Where the Q400s could be in better use for UA would be out of DEN to places like ASE, EGE, JAC, COS. These aircrafts should have been considered in the first place when the 146s were with drawn from service last year for these markets.

adambrau

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting UnknownUser (Reply 10):
i agree. i sent them a note on more that one occasion to add those nice emb 170's with a first class seat from jfk to iad. (i understand they arent cheap) but they could tap into more star allicance new yorkers if they made it more pleasant to get to iad from lga or jfk.
i dont know, i love united but they really anger me sometimes. you know you cant get to london or paris or sao paulo or madrid from jfk on star alliance!

UA now flies CR7's with F class exclusively on the IAD-JFK and vv runs. It's a start anyway! Agree there should be more mainline.
JFK Friendly

daron4000

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:29 am

It is a good thing in my opinion that UA will decrease the number of international C seats to upgrade the product. This is expected, as anyone with half a brain can see that with 55 inch pitch currently, the number of seats has to be reduced to fit into the allocated space, especially on the 747 and 767 where (I think) the galleys, lavs etc are not moveable. That means that, for example, UA will probably only be able to put 2 rows betweeen doors 1 and 2 on the 747 if they are going to increase pitch much more. Either way, they are listening to their customers, who basically have stated that if the product is worth it, than they will pay more for it. That means less upgraders, just like on premium carriers like SQ etc. (By the way, do you really think that SQ gets complaints for having such a good product that there are no seats to upgrade to?) However, in terms of the 757, I think eliminating F is a stupid decision. People will pay more for an international flight but not so much for a domestic flight, even mid cons that are in the 4 hour range. However, upgrades are nice for elites and they lvoe the 757 for the 24 F seats and by eliminating them, unless they are going to a CO type config which I doubt, a lot of people will be really angry.

VC10er

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:54 am

lets see if they cut back sistem-wide upgrades for 1k's from 6 to 4 to match the reduction in C seats.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

mymiles2go

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 am

I find it interesting that AA announced they are increasing the F seats on the 757, while UA is choosing to just about half them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos