Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

STT757
Topic Author

San Diego Expansion Option (again)

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:08 am

Sorry to bring up a topic that has been discussed several times here but I read something the other day I found an interesting idea.

I was reading Global Security.Org about the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, as many know or for those who don't it's adjacent to Lindbergh Field (SAN) on the North Side. Lindbergh field is on 474 acres, the MCRD is on 388 acres adjacent to Lindbergh field. Global Security states that there have been active discussions in recent years between the San Diego Port Authority and the Department of Defense about selling the MCRD property in order to build a parallel runway at SAN.

From using the measurement tool on Google Earth it looks to me that if the MCRD were incorporated into SAN they have the room to build two parallel runways that could be 4,000 ft apart allowing for simultaneous operations, and be up to 11,000 ft long. The terminal area would have to be moved to accommodate 4,000 ft runway separation, but no roadways.

Two parallel runways with 4,000ft separation allowing for simultaneous operations is pretty good, it would not be DEN, DFW, ORD or ATL. But it could be a EWR or MIA, with San Diego's weather would negate the weather delays of these two.

This is the other part of the deal which I thought was a great idea, San Diego gets the MCRD for airport expansion. The City would help pay for the conversion of the former MCAS El Toro into a new modern MCRD, alot of the infrastructure of a military installation are already at El Toro. Obviously there would not be any aviation activity, only Basic Recruit training.

The Government as far as I know is still in possession of El Toro, military flight operations left because of residential encroachment which put them on the BRAC closure list. However bringing the West Coast MCRD to El Toro would be a great use for that facility, providing tons of local jobs as well as bringing the commissary and medical services back to the area for retirees and veterans without the noise and disruption of flight operations.

Thoughts?
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Boeing7E7

RE: San Diego Expansion Option (again)

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
From using the measurement tool on Google Earth it looks to me that if the MCRD were incorporated into SAN they have the room to build two parallel runways that could be 4,000 ft apart allowing for simultaneous operations, and be up to 11,000 ft long. The terminal area would have to be moved to accommodate 4,000 ft runway separation, but no roadways.

Nope.

Here's a good presentation about this:

http://www.san.org/documents/assp/Airfield101_JAH-web.ppt#35

PanAm747

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:56 am

MCRD is a historic site, and completely off-limits to any development. It's a dead issue.

It's a good idea, but it just won't happen. But thanks for trying!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

LMP737

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting STT757 (Thread starter):
This is the other part of the deal which I thought was a great idea, San Diego gets the MCRD for airport expansion. The City would help pay for the conversion of the former MCAS El Toro into a new modern MCRD, alot of the infrastructure of a military installation are already at El Toro. Obviously there would not be any aviation activity, only Basic Recruit training.

The Government as far as I know is still in possession of El Toro, military flight operations left because of residential encroachment which put them on the BRAC closure list. However bringing the West Coast MCRD to El Toro would be a great use for that facility, providing tons of local jobs as well as bringing the commissary and medical services back to the area for retirees and veterans without the noise and disruption of flight operations.

The land that El Toro is on has already been sold to developers.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Trvlr

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:58 am

First of all, no new airport is going to be comparable to ATL, DEN, or even MIA. A new airport does not need to be that big, just big enough to handle San Diego's local traffic and incremental increases in regional traffic.

That having been said, there is still no way the current airport will be able to accomodate growth.

Aaron G.

EI321

Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:59 am

I would consider San Diego to be a possible Aer Lingus destination in the future.

Boeing7E7

Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:07 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 5):
I would consider San Diego to be a possible Aer Lingus destination in the future.

Maybe. A 787-8 should be able to do it with a high thrust variant.

calpsafltskeds

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:02 am

The minimum seperation needed is 4300 feet and the only dual ILS operation would be from the West, which is downwind most of the time. The new runway would have obsticals to the East, whcih could prevent approaches from the East.

As Boeing 7E7 said, this is a non-starter and LF has been looked at every which way to get dual runways with instrument capability. It ain't going to happen..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos