TG992
Topic Author

The Value Of Cabin Crew - Life Saved

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi all,

This is a true story which took place recently on an Air NZ flight. I thought I'd share it as an example of days when we're really tested, and the difference it's ocasionally our privilege to make.

Hi everyone,

During our XXX-XXX flight, at 0625, one of our passengers had what he thought was an asthmatic attack, which subsequently turned out to be an anaphylactic reaction to aspirin. Jane gave oxygen and I set up the nebuliser but he died 8 minutes later. We performed CPR, which revived him, and 2 doctors on board kept him supported with IV adrenalin and other drugs. The flight diverted to Auckland and we landed with 2 doctors, a nurse, and 2 crew holding on to various bits of drips, medical equipment, and oxygen bottles while supporting our patient on the floor at 1L. They were sitting on and covered in broken glass (from about 30 broken wine glasses when our patient collapsed against the wake-up trolley), juice and smoothies, blood, vomit, and other unpleasant body waste.

All other crew rearranged themselves to take different doors for landing. ISC Hilda took command of the cabin from 1R and I sat at seat 2A to give the brace commands to the medical team as I could not access the jump seat at 1Left. Paramedics met the aircraft and we farewelled a bewildered but very lucky and alive young man.

The Captain debriefed the crew on board. Today, I called all the crew who were involved with the passenger to check that they were okay as it was an emotionally and physically exhausting event that was particularly uncomfortable for John and Jim who were crouched around, (and landed beside) the patient for 2 hours.

All the other crew played an equally vital part to the success of our diverted flight; distributed drinks in lieu of a breakfast service as ½ the crew were occupied with the emergency. These crew rearranged for landing so that all doors were covered, releasing crew to stay with the patient.

Today I called the hospital to see how our passenger was doing and whether his family had been contacted and whether he needed any assistance as New Zealand is not his home. I was most surprised to be put through to the ward, and then through to him. We had a wonderful chat for about 30 minutes. He had little idea what had happened so at his request we went through the timing of events. He wanted to meet all the crew again but of course that isn%u2019t possible. He then asked me to pass on to everyone his deepest gratitude to all the crew, particularly as the enormity of what had happened set in. The passenger said that he was really enjoying his flight; he loved the service, the IFE, and the food, and he thought the crew were fantastic. And then to have them save his life just topped it. He said that he would always fly Air New Zealand from now %u2018until he dies%u2019 and we laughed that he better not try to do that again too soon.

To the crew; I am so proud of all of you for pulling together and forming an incredible team.
-

VHVXB

RE: The Value Of Cabin Crew - Life Saved

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting TG992 (Thread starter):
To the crew; I am so proud of all of you for pulling together and forming an incredible team.

So you should be. Well done to you and your fellow colleges at Air NZ.  thumbsup   Smile

BMIFlyer

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Well done guys Big grin

I don't really need to say more than that  Smile
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Markhkg

Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:59 pm

Congratulations on the save. Cardiac arrest due to anaphylactic shock is hard enough to treat on the ground, albeit you guys were in the air.

I'm guessing Air New Zealand is happy to have made the investment on their Enhanced Medical Kits (Doctor's Kits) and crew training!  Smile

Quoting TG992 (Thread starter):
brace commands to the medical team

When you say brace commands, do you mean "Brace grab your ankles" brace commands, or is that something else you are referring to?

Again, congratulations to the flight crew and medical volunteers on board for their teamwork, and speedy recovery wishes to the patient.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

TG992
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 3):
When you say brace commands, do you mean "Brace grab your ankles" brace commands, or is that something else you are referring to?

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 1):
Well done to you and your fellow colleges at Air NZ.

Sorry guys, I was a bit ambitious with my cut and pasting - I was not on the flight and by no means wish to take the credit for a fantastic job by my colleagues! The report is word for word from the Flight Service Manager (Purser) on the flight, although I've changed all the names.

By brace commands I assume she was referring to the brace commands needed for the team working on the passenger, who were not seated at landing.
-

ardian

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Excellent story! What a great job from your teammates  Smile

falstaff

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Wow! Great work! I hope that if I ever have a medical problem like that in the air I would have people like that around.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos