Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

b777a340fan
Topic Author

The Luggage Nightmare That Is Delta

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:02 am

I seriously believe that I am cursed and am on the airline's "Make sure you lose this passenger's luggage list". After my last wonderful experience with US Airways (which I posted about btw)... I need to share my (still on-going and unresolved) issue with Delta Airlines, you know, the one that's "supposedly" getting better??? Anyways, here it goes:

I was sent on a ten day business trip to Europe (DCA-MAN-BCN-CDG-IAD) in order to meet high profile clients of my company. Needless to say, I need to look sharp and be presentable. So after weather delays in JFK that prevented my flight from DCA-JFK to take-off, I, of course, miss my flight JFK-MAN. Of course, my DCA-JFK flight arrives like 5 mins before the JFK-MAN flight departs and Delta couldn't even hold the plane for 10 mins..... but I'm not bitter, they have to ensure on-time departure of their flights. ISo I get re-routed JFK-ATL-MAN the next day and ask where my luggages are and they tell me that it was on the flight that left.... so the ramp people were able to transfer my bags and the gate agents weren't able to hold the plane.... again, i'm not bitter because I figured my luggage would be waiting for me when I get to MAN. So I go along and get to MAN and of course, no luggage to be found. Two luggages and none made it. So I file a claim and give them my info in order to get my bag delivered. Three days later, I get one of my bags and of course, that bag has NONE of my personal stuff in it. Meanwhile, I get a 25 pounds/day allowance from Delta which, given how bloody expensive the UK is, I can barely buy personal toiletries and an underwear. Needless to say, I'm not happy! I am on the phone with Delta every single day, asking for updates, letting them know what my itinerary is for the next couple weeks. Delta tells me the last bag was forwarded to CDG.... WTH  Confused I'm like fine, CDG-MAN sure, I should get the bag in no time.... The day comes when I have to leave Manchester for BCN and they tell me they sent the bag back to the USA, like I instructed them to. Excuse me???  Wow! They requested my permanent address, which I provided but never did I tell them to forward the bag to the USA. So now, they tell me that the bag was tagged back to DCA and I have to wait for the bag to get there in order for them to tag it again AND fly it to BCN. OMG, I'm going to kill myself. Meanwhile, I'm on the phone with incompetent and irresponsible people twice a day, waisting my company's money to cover the bills. Oh yeah, following with the european stereotypical tradition of not changing, I'm fitting right in! I get angry, ask for the manager and she hangs up on me! ARGGHHH!!! The manager says that my itinerary is too confusing and that I keep repeating conflicting stories.... so I ask her to repeat what I said (after repeating what I originally said) and she said the wrong thing...she couldn't discern a difference between when I am to leave and where the bag should be forwarded accordingly. Instead of helping me out, she hangs up.  banghead  So now.... I'm way above the 125 pounds allotment that was approved by Delta and I ask Delta whether they'll cover the extra expenses that I incur while I'm out of my luggage and they said I could file a claim and they'll consider it. So that means, they won't pay in my book. But yeah, to this day, Delta still hasn't given me my luggage, I'm leaving BCN soon and they still don't know where the damn bag is, whether it's in CDG, BOS, DCA, in the Atlantic Ocean, at some agent's house, no CLUE! They tell me Delta only has a way to track whether the bag arrived its destination. So right now, nothing. Oh yeah, they told me they couldn't reach the people in Europe b/c they're not allowed to do int'l call, so i tried to call the MAN, CDG baggage office, nobody works over there! simply retarded! I am frustrated, I feel disgusted, and I feel sooo betrayed by this airline. I'm completely adding Delta on my black list. I just hope that I see my luggage someday, my hundred dollar suits all gone in vain  ashamed  I just wish Delta would take a more active stance on this issue b/c it doesn't even start to realize how inconvenienced I am. Nearly 7 days into my trip and I still don't have my clothes. Sigh..... If anyone has any suggestion to expedite the process I would greatly appreciate it.

Evan767

RE: The Luggage Nightmare That Is Delta

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:16 am

Meh, you win some you lose some. I just wish people would learn not to put their important belongings in their checked luggage, especially when going through JFK, during a storm...
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

floridaflyboy

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 am

Talking to DL's reservation people on the phone can be an incredibly frustrating experience. I find most (not all) to be very poorly trained, and not great with the english language, and like you, I have been hung up on by them a few times (I'm not sure if it was accidental or on purpose). However, I do fly DL very very regularly, and have never had them lose my luggage, even on very complicated itineraries. Not that it helps you out too much or makes you feel much better, but your situation is definitely the exception at DL. Hopefully they get everything taken care of for you.

Quoting B777A340Fan (Thread starter):
Delta Airlines

I can't help myself. It's Air Lines, two words  Smile Yes, I know they're the only one who does that.
Good goes around!

Alitalia744

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:36 am

Sad, guess it happens.

Guess I'm lucky, I always get competent, courteous, helpful and friendly Delta employees when I call SMS and the Medallion line and have never had my luggage lost on Delta Air Lines
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

mariner

Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Evan767 (Reply 1):
I just wish people would learn not to put their important belongings in their checked luggage, especially when going through JFK, during a storm...

So - you think it is the passenger's fault? My, my.

mariner
aeternum nauta

lincoln

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:03 am

You know they do say that Delta stands for

Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

Delta is the only airline who has ever misrouted my luggage, which is forgiveable on its own but when a supervisor then screams at me that "my airline doesn't loose luggage, I don't beleive you" that's the point where I no longer do business with Delta. They probably haven't missed me, I sure as hell haven't missed them.

Lincoln

[Edited 2007-04-02 01:04:59]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

srbmod

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 am

I can completely feel everyone's pain in regards to DL and their baggage services folks. They lost one of my bags on a non-stop itinerary about 10 days back. I got tired of calling the number and getting some overseas agent who you could barely understand. It took me over 24 hours of calling every few hours before I got an agent that was even competent. I was on the phone with this particular agent for about a half hour and about 5 hours later my bag showed up. Still have no idea where my bag ended up going to instead of LAS, and why it took DL about 30 hours to get it to me. My theory is that there were some LAS bags in a can and either a) some bags for say LAX got mixed in and someone took the can to the LAX flight or b) someone grabbed the can without looking to see if there were any bags in it and the bag(s) ended up elsewhere. They evidently lose so much luggage that some baggage service offices cannot even be reached by their own agents most of the day. I even went as far as to calling the LAS airport operator in order to try to reach the baggage services office and the number for the office was busy even then.

The number they tell you to call is useless; it seems as though the bag info never gets updated and I really despise these automatic phone systems as on several occasions, I said the right option but the stupid system connected to something else.

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:27 am

I just wish people would learn not to put their important belongings in their checked luggage, especially when going through JFK, during a storm...

Believe me, if I could bring my 50lbs luggage onboard and store it on the overhead bin compartment, I would. There's only so much you can bring when you have a carry-on luggage full of business papers.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
got tired of calling the number and getting some overseas agent who you could barely understand.

I have come to learn that all calls are forwarded to an Indian call center. If you request a manager (or who they call coordinator or floor manager), then it gets forwarded to an american representative....always ask for the manager (although that hasn't helped me yet and I had to wait 1 hour in order to even talk to them). I have to admit though, the Indian representatives are waaayyy more courteous than their american counterparts. No attitudes, always apologetic for the inconvenience (although that gets old after you call the 100th time), whereas the managers (emphasis on manager), they hang on you.

They evidently lose so much luggage

Yes, evidently since it takes at least half an hour to even reach an operator.

The number they tell you to call is useless

Yup yup yup..... you will also notice that they keep repeating "you can always check the status of your luggage on the internet by typing www.delta.com/baggage"... and that too, unfortunately is useless since it keeps saying "error".

floridaflyboy

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 7):
I have come to learn that all calls are forwarded to an Indian call center. If you request a manager (or who they call coordinator or floor manager), then it gets forwarded to an american representative....always ask for the manager (although that hasn't helped me yet and I had to wait 1 hour in order to even talk to them).

This is the most frustrating part of the Delta phone system. You ask to speak to a manager, and they put you on hold again. Then, the keep coming on every 10 minutes or so and saying, "The manager is very busy, please continue to hold." I have only once actually even gotten through to a manager, and it took me 1 hr. 30 minutes. I think DL should move the call center back to the United States. The cost of American labor is a small price to pay in exchange for customer satisfaction. DL's call centers are really a black eye on one of America's greatest airlines.
Good goes around!

tristanhnl

Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:54 am

Sometimes I think people just have extreme luck or extreme misfortune with certain airlines. Some experience top-notch reservations, ground crew, flight attendants and luggage handling while others get incompetent CSR, surly ground and in-flight crew, and misrouted bags. For me and Delta it's the latter. I used to fly HNL to MCO a lot with that airline and I'd estimate they lost my bags 1/3 of the time. And often when I called to inquire I got rude agents who just seemed they didn't care. One agent even told me that I should "expect it because it happens all the time". I understand bags get lost once in a while, but I certainly wouldn't "expect it"! Needless to say I got fed up with them and thew in the towel. I switched to Continental and have never been happier. Talk about a 180.
Hong Kong: truly Asia's world city!

Viscount724

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:33 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 2):
Delta Airlines

I can't help myself. It's Air Lines, two words Yes, I know they're the only one who does that.

UA uses two words in their legal name, United Air Lines, Inc., but one word in their marketing/trade name, United Airlines. About the only place you'll see the two-word version in their web pages is at the bottom of the screen in very small gray text.

OOer

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 8):
The cost of American labor is a small price to pay in exchange for customer satisfaction.

Are people willing to pay more for their tickets??? Hell no!!! Thats why you have call center in India, to help offset the cost of doing business. The average joe does not care about anything exept for the oh so precious dollar of his, thats why the industry is in its current shape.

I talked to a person complain about the price of his MCO-MSP ticket the other day because it was $340...are you serious??? How much would it cost for you to drive it r/t???? At least that much if not more and 4 days!!!

IADCA

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:45 am

Alright, next time I fly through JFK coming back from Europe, I'll just put my suits in my pocket or wear all of them onto the plane. And the wine I bring back, I'll bring that on board too. I'll explain to the CDG security guys that it's okay, I can bring liquids on, Evan767 said I shouldn't put important belongings in my checked baggage, so I need to carry it on.

And I'll be sure not to book trips through JFK when there might be a storm. Good thing I never need to fly in the winter or anything.

Seriously, defending Delta is one thing, that's another...

Avianca

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:50 am

Meh, you win some you lose some. I just wish people would learn not to put their important belongings in their checked luggage, especially when going through JFK, during a storm...

sorry but what a unqualified post..... these days more and more things are restricted to bring on board.... , you have a weight limit, not really easy to work with when you are on a several day business-trip.

cheers
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

floridaflyboy

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting OOer (Reply 11):
Are people willing to pay more for their tickets??? Hell no!!! Thats why you have call center in India, to help offset the cost of doing business. The average joe does not care about anything exept for the oh so precious dollar of his, thats why the industry is in its current shape.

You're not looking at the big picture here. It wouldn't necessarily be something that requires increased ticket prices (There are airlines out there that still have american call centers and do just fine financially). The fact is, if your call centers are giving customers a bad impression of your company, and causing some people to go elsewhere, they are actually losing you some revenue opportunities. However, if an American call center that costs a little more keeps those passengers flying your airline, you end up making more in the end anyway.
Good goes around!

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 14):
(There are airlines out there that still have american call centers and do just fine financially).

Isn't the US baggage call center still in Pittsburgh? The folks I talked to a couple of weeks back were definitely American (though they were rather useless; they claimed the bag had not been located when in fact it was in the air on the way back to CLT to be sent to me in JAX at the time).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

floridaflyboy

Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:26 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 15):
Isn't the US baggage call center still in Pittsburgh?

I believe it is, unless something has changed. I think US is opening another call center in PIT, too.
Good goes around!

gajamukhu

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry about your baggage, but the following tips might help in the future, if you are experiencing regular delay/loss of your bags:

1. Try baggage insurance and travel delay insurance. I believe many insurance companies and credit cards offer them, and it's definitely worth the small premium you pay - especially if you want to buy toiletries and essentials in a foreign country.

So after weather delays in JFK that prevented my flight from DCA-JFK to take-off, I, of course, miss my flight JFK-MAN.

In such a case (once you realize you are going to reach JFK just in the nick of time), it might be possible to tell the gate agent at DCA to reschedule you and to send a message about your bags, so that they are not loaded into the JFK-MAN flight. I have done this (with Delta!) before.

I understand that "what you should have done" is not the best advice at this point, but hopefully it helps in the future! Hope you get your stuff soon!

Best,
Ganesh

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting TristanHNL (Reply 9):
One agent even told me that I should "expect it because it happens all the time". I understand bags get lost once in a while, but I certainly wouldn't "expect it"!

I heard this morning in the radio that the number of complaints about lost baggage has shot through the roof and that nowadays, traveling on american carriers, it is rather a surprise to have your luggage arrive with you, rather than a norm. A woman was quoted: "I'm so surprised things went so smoothly!". So, the basic message: count your blessings if everything goes well and just expect your bags to get lost somewhere along the assembly line.

Quoting Gajamukhu (Reply 17):
send a message about your bags

Yes, I did and everytime I called the Delta lost baggage service and they send messages throughout the world. It's like an email though.... I think they treat those messages as we do with spam emails.....simply hit the "delete" button.

flyboyaz

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:18 pm

Yeah and what's funny is when we were trying to merge with Delta, they criticized US Airways on their poor baggage handling....and they are right down at the bottom with us!
Catch a ride on a smile!

georgiaame

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:51 pm

A very good reason to carry a small suitcase onboard, especially if connections are going to be made. I learned than lesson after losing baggage going to AMS via FRA (on Lufthansa), and 2 large suitcases going into Denmark on Delta BusinessElite. Never again. The Anetter sitting next to you might get PO'ed, but you will have your suit and clean underwear. And much as I have against Delta, any airline will be very happy to lose your luggage. Oh, everything was delivered within 24 hours on both airlines. Guess I was lucky to some degree.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

flydreamliner

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:29 am

I don't find it unreasonable to expect your checked bags to arrive. That said, I bring my luggage onboard at all costs, and if I have something important to take with, and can't check it, sometimes I'll Fed-Ex overnight it (or 2-day it, depending on how much time i've got) to myself at my destination. Not cheap, but apparently neither is having DL lose your bag...

Quoting OOer (Reply 11):

I'd pay more money not to talk to a call center in India to sort out my baggage problems with my US airline. I'm not sure I've ever had any call to a call center in India result in a positive resolution for me, in any circumstance. If my airline of choice (currently UA) gave me that sort of experience, I'd find a new airline.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:21 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 21):
I'm not sure I've ever had any call to a call center in India result in a positive resolution for me, in any circumstance. If my airline of choice (currently UA) gave me that sort of experience, I'd find a new airline.

It IS possible to have competent call center staff in India. I've had some pleasant experiences with Dell Computer, for instance (though I've also had some positively terrible ones with Dell). However, that takes a level of commitment and expenditure that many companies are not willing to put in. Like with anything else, you get what you pay for.

flyingdoc

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:17 pm

Mishandled luggage on DL can be a very frustrating experience and at least in my experience of flying DL for several years, it is becoming more common. As a Platinum Medallion, using SMS is just great, but unfortunately, they can't help with lost luggage. You end up talking to one of the Indian call centers. In my experience, some of those agents have poor English skills and the call can be quite frustrating. DL says that one of their priorities coming out of bankruptcy is better customer service; I hope they concentrate on baggage handling.

Maverick623

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:55 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 15):
though they were rather useless; they claimed the bag had not been located when in fact it was in the air on the way back to CLT to be sent to me in JAX at the time).

Sometimes what happens in the rampers find the bag and throw it onto a flight to where the bag tag says it's supposed to go, without notifying the baggage office. (I have been guilty of this myself, sometimes there's just no time to when you find a misplaced bag and the next flight goes out in 5 mins)

I don't find it unreasonable to expect your checked bags to arrive.

Amen to that. As a connects runner for US, I get frustrated everytime I have a missed bag. Usually, it's because the ramp tower will allow a plane to hold at the gate for an extra minute to allow a passenger to connect, but refuses to let it stay an extra 5 to allow their bag to also connect.

The only time I find it unreasonable is ultra-short scheduled connect times (i.e. 30 mins or less, because with an on-time rate of 60-70% at best... you get the picture) and when a passenger checks in less than an hour before the flight. I always tell people who are checking luggage to arrive at the airport a solid 2.5 hours before their flight at minimum. Between the wait times at the ticket counter (even curbside), and the line at TSA, it takes a while to actually get into the system. And if you're lucky and breeze right along, well, sit down and have a nice meal, because you ain't getting one on the plane.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

atlflyer

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting FlyingDoc (Reply 23):
Mishandled luggage on DL can be a very frustrating experience and at least in my experience of flying DL for several years, it is becoming more common. As a Platinum Medallion, using SMS is just great, but unfortunately, they can't help with lost luggage. You end up talking to one of the Indian call centers. In my experience, some of those agents have poor English skills and the call can be quite frustrating. DL says that one of their priorities coming out of bankruptcy is better customer service; I hope they concentrate on baggage handling.

At Investor Day, Delta specifically said that they would be spending $60-$70 million to upgrade baggage systems at ATL and JFK. They mentioned many times that improving baggage was a TOP priority!

IAHFLYR

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:23 pm

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 25):
They mentioned many times that improving baggage was a TOP priority!

Yeah right......sort of like getting a livery/logo and sticking with it!

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 5):
Don't
Expect
Luggage
To
Arrive

Heard that a while back, sure seems to fit.

Quoting Avianca (Reply 13):
you have a weight limit, not really easy to work with when you are on a several day business-trip.

I'm gonna toss the BS flag on that comment.....If you can't pack a weeks worth of clothing in a travel pro 22" carry on pay someone to pack it for you! I've taken a week business trip in the winter (sweaters and thicker clothing) and have clean clothing each day and even put the flight jacket into the travel pro bag to carry on....but maybe some just enjoy seeing where their checked luggage went.  Smile

Curious, if one was able to check their luggage to IND rather than SEA where you really want the bags to go, if the luggage would end up where you wanted?  bouncy 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Cubsrule

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 24):

Sometimes what happens in the rampers find the bag and throw it onto a flight to where the bag tag says it's supposed to go, without notifying the baggage office. (I have been guilty of this myself, sometimes there's just no time to when you find a misplaced bag and the next flight goes out in 5 mins)

I'd guess that normally, but it was routed (and tagged) on a connection, and if someone went to the trouble to do the paperwork, I'd think they would have the record updated as well.

halls120

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:49 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 4):

mariner

It isn't the passenger's fault, just the reality of modern airline travel.

Of course, the poster's first mistake was accepting an itinerary on any airline that involved a routing through JFK during the winter.

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 20):
And much as I have against Delta, any airline will be very happy to lose your luggage.

checkmark  EVERY airline loses luggage. It's a fact of life. The key as an experienced traveler is to choose routings that minimize the likelihood of having your baggage turn up missing, and to be flexible as to what you carry on. If I'm not flying direct to my destination, I always carry on at least one of my suits, a shirt and shoes, so no matter what, I'll be able to attend the function I'm attending properly dressed.

What is inexcusable is the response to a lost luggage situation. If you think DL is bad, try losing luggage flying on US. They are simply incompetent. OTOH, UA C/S personnel are wonderful when I've had to deal with lost luggage.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

sampa737

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 pm

Wow...I've been flying for years and the only time I can remember an airline losing any of my luggage was in 1978 and that was on SOUTHERN flying Ft Lauderdale to Memphis. It probably got lost in Atlanta. I've never had luggage lost on Delta. In fact in January, they tore up a piece of luggage on my son's trip from MEM-GRU. DL found HIM, had the form ready and told him what he needed to do next to be reimbursed.

Now ya'll have me scared. I'm flying GRU-MEM in June, first stop JFK!!

Curiousflyer

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):
Of course, the poster's first mistake was accepting an itinerary on any airline that involved a routing through JFK during the winter.

No it was the airline's mistake to offer it, stop blaming the paying passenger!

deltadc9

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 5):
which is forgiveable on its own but when a supervisor then screams at me that "my airline doesn't loose luggage, I don't beleive you" that's the point where I no longer do business with Delta

Exactly why I dont fly AA and Southwest. It can happen with any airline, people have bad days. When they go overboard you blame the company they work for, human nature. In reality it was just that person, not the company.

The cost of American labor is a small price to pay in exchange for customer satisfaction. DL's call centers are really a black eye on one of America's greatest airlines.

Do you think the quality numbers are not tracked and no decisions are made as a result of them? 1-3% are going to have bad experiences. 97%+ are going to get what they called for.

Quoting OOer (Reply 11):
Thats why you have call center in India, to help offset the cost of doing business.

many more reasons than that:

1) Many many companies that even 10 years ago would not have had a call center now have large ones, depleting the supply of operators and locations in the US.

2) Internal operations are harder to deal with on quality issues. All bad calls are tracked when you outsource as well as time on hold, and the outsourcing company pays penalties for both. Internal departments are much harder to hold accountable. Ever need something from your internal IT department?

3) There are only so many towns and cities you can set up a call center and staff it in the US due to the exponential growth of companies that use them now. My company has call centers in every reasonably sized town in every state and also Africa, Europe, Caribbean Islands, Latin America, India, and many other places and they are all understaffed despite the constantly increasing wages due to turnover, and the fact that the job just plain sucks and not that many people want to do it or dont do it for long.

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 14):
However, if an American call center that costs a little more keeps those passengers flying your airline, you end up making more in the end anyway.

Try 4 times as much with 4 times the turnover and longer hold times.

I don't find it unreasonable to expect your checked bags to arrive.

It is unreasonable to expect 100% of anything from anyone, and to expect that you will always be the lucky one.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

halls120

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting CuriousFlyer (Reply 30):

No it was the airline's mistake to offer it, stop blaming the paying passenger!

Sorry, but just because an airline offers a convoluted or problematic routing doesn't excuse the paying passenger from exercising some responsibility on their part.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

B777-700

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:26 pm

Oh yey! The weekly "let's all take a piss on Delta thread!" Filled with the same old tired BS.

I need to share my (still on-going and unresolved) issue with Delta Airlines, you know, the one that's "supposedly" getting better???

That's right, because they lost YOUR bag, all their improvements are a facade. Everything they've done has been for nothing! They lost YOUR bag!

So after weather delays in JFK that prevented my flight from DCA-JFK to take-off,

You actually could have just stopped at weather delays...lol

Delta couldn't even hold the plane for 10 mins.....

so the ramp people were able to transfer my bags and the gate agents weren't able to hold the plane....

Nope they can't hold the plane for you, and yep it's a lot easier for your bad to make it rather than you. Bags travel on the ramp and take short cuts, driven by people who actually know where they're going. It always make me laugh when people would act all surprised when their bag makes it and they dont!

Meanwhile, I'm on the phone with incompetent and irresponsible people twice a day,

Oh yeah, following with the european stereotypical tradition of not changing, I'm fitting right in!

I get angry, ask for the manager and she hangs up on me!

simply retarded!

Now, B777A340Fan, I want you to take a hard look at the above quotes. Do you ever wonder why these things keep happening to you?

I'm completely adding Delta on my black list

Good. I don't want to wind up sitting next to someone like you.

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 3):
Sad, guess it happens.

Guess I'm lucky, I always get competent, courteous, helpful and friendly Delta employees when I call SMS and the Medallion line and have never had my luggage lost on Delta Air Lines

I second that. I'm a medallion and I've never had a problem.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 4):

No, not his fault, but some planning could have helped prevent these things. I carry at least one good suit onboard with me and a garment bag.

They evidently lose so much luggage that some baggage service offices cannot even be reached by their own agents most of the day.

There's not truth to that.

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 7):
Yup yup yup..... you will also notice that they keep repeating "you can always check the status of your luggage on the internet by typing www.delta.com/baggage"... and that too, unfortunately is useless since it keeps saying "error".

Then you're doing something wrong.

This is the most frustrating part of the Delta phone system. You ask to speak to a manager, and they put you on hold again. Then, the keep coming on every 10 minutes or so and saying, "The manager is very busy, please continue to hold."

Depends on when you call.

I think DL should move the call center back to the United States. The cost of American labor is a small price to pay in exchange for customer satisfaction. DL's call centers are really a black eye on one of America's greatest airlines

There's no call centers is the US? Someone should tell ATL, CVG, SLC, HSV, DFW, and AGS.

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 18):
I heard this morning in the radio that the number of complaints about lost baggage has shot through the roof and that nowadays, traveling on american carriers, it is rather a surprise to have your luggage arrive with you, rather than a norm. A woman was quoted: "I'm so surprised things went so smoothly!". So, the basic message: count your blessings if everything goes well and just expect your bags to get lost somewhere along the assembly line.

rotfl  5 in 1000 bags lost is the average. That's means 995 bags make it on time. I'd take those odds. This is a perfect example of the warped logic of the traveling public.

Again, I'm a medallion on Delta. The way you're talking, something horrible was bound to happen. And yet, it hasn't. No lost bags, no outrageously delayed flights, no cancels that have drastically effected me. (all weather related)

Please explain this.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

deltadc9

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 33):
Please explain this.

Me too, please explain how I can go for 42 years and never lose a bag on Delta or even have one bad experience in over 100 flights?
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:18 am

What is inexcusable is the response to a lost luggage situation. If you think DL is bad, try losing luggage flying on US.

Oh believe me I have, the experience wasn't any prettier, but at least I got my bag after 4 days. I guess I should feel lucky in that respect.

Quoting Sampa737 (Reply 29):
Wow...I've been flying for years and the only time I can remember an airline losing any of my luggage was in 1978 and that was on SOUTHERN flying Ft Lauderdale to Memphis. It probably got lost in Atlanta. I've never had luggage lost on Delta. In fact in January, they tore up a piece of luggage on my son's trip from MEM-GRU. DL found HIM, had the form ready and told him what he needed to do next to be reimbursed.

Now ya'll have me scared. I'm flying GRU-MEM in June, first stop JFK!!

Count your blessings, you're one of the lucky ones!  

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 31):
Exactly why I dont fly AA and Southwest

Really? I don't know about AA, but personally, I found WN to be one of the most reliable, luggage wise....

Now, B777A340Fan, I want you to take a hard look at the above quotes. Do you ever wonder why these things keep happening to you?

Yes, I do wonder.... and nothing warrants the trouble and lack of understanding Delta has presented. Believe me, wait until it happens to you.

second that. I'm a medallion and I've never had a problem.

While you're high up on your horse, just remember: the higher and more arrogant you are, the harder your fall...

No, not his fault, but some planning could have helped prevent these things. I carry at least one good suit onboard with me and a garment bag.

Yes, I did. What happens to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.. day? Do you wear the same suit? Do you wear the same shirt, tie, shoes, underwear, socks???? Give me a break!   

B777-700, your comments seem to be geared towards how great Delta is and that it is instead MY fault that I'm going through the entire process of retrieving my luggage. I sincerely hope that you go through what I've been through because unless you've walked in my shoes, you don't even have a SINGLE clue as to what it's like. If your statistics are remotely true (which I doubt they are).... even if Delta looses 5 bags out of 1000, does that mean they're not responsible to bring those 5 bags back to its owner in a timely manner? Do they have to be rude and unprofessional along the way? Just because YOU haven't encountered bad moments with Delta doesn't it's the same way for every other passengers... By the recent increase in complaints, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Just by your condescending comments, I wouldnt want to sit next to you either.... which is very likely to happen since after this trip, I will wave Delta goodbye.

[Edited 2007-04-03 17:19:58]

floridaflyboy

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:31 am

There's no call centers is the US? Someone should tell ATL, CVG, SLC, HSV, DFW, and AGS.

I NEVER said there weren't any call stations in the United States. You need to read someone's whole statement before you go criticizing. You are one of the worst about this.

Depends on when you call.

No kidding?? I think that's a given.
Good goes around!

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:05 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 35):

Yes, I do wonder.... and nothing warrants the trouble and lack of understanding Delta has presented.

Maybe it's your attitude. Just sayin.' Acting like this....

Meanwhile, I'm on the phone with incompetent and irresponsible people twice a day,

Oh yeah, following with the european stereotypical tradition of not changing, I'm fitting right in!

I get angry, ask for the manager

simply retarded!

Isn't helping your situation.

Believe me, wait until it happens to you.

I bet you I've flown on Delta a hell of a lot more than you have, and it hasn't.

second that. I'm a medallion and I've never had a problem.

While you're high up on your horse, just remember: the higher and more arrogant you are, the harder your fall...

Not arrogance, I'm stating a fact. If Delta is as terrible as you claim, how come they've never lost my bags? Surely the numbers would have caught up to me by now...

Yes, I did. What happens to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.. day? Do you wear the same suit? Do you wear the same shirt, tie, shoes, underwear, socks???? Give me a break!

I would wash them and get then dry cleaned, sure. That seems like the natural thing to do.

I sincerely hope that you go through what I've been through because unless you've walked in my shoes, you don't even have a SINGLE clue as to what it's like.

rotfl  I have more airline experience, in my past as an employee, and presently as a FF'er than you'll ever know. That's why I disregard your post. Seen it all a million times.

If your statistics are remotely true (which I doubt they are)....

Really? Interesting, cause this just came out and was all over the news:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...4/03/MNGTFP0IP81.DTL&feed=rss.news

"-- Mishandled baggage -- including lost, misrouted or damaged luggage -- climbed to 6.5 per 1,000 passengers from 6.06 per 1,000 passengers, an increase of nearly 7 percent. "

So 6.5 bags in 1000. You act like out of every 1000 bags, only 7 make it to people on time.  Yeah sure

Just because YOU haven't encountered bad moments with Delta doesn't it's the same way for every other passengers... By the recent increase in complaints, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. Just by your condescending comments, I wouldnt want to sit next to you either.... which is very likely to happen since after this trip, I will wave Delta goodbye.

That's nice. I think you missed my question to you, the same one another user posed. I'll ask it again:

Again, I'm a medallion on Delta. The way you're talking, something horrible was bound to happen. And yet, it hasn't. No lost bags, no outrageously delayed flights, no cancels that have drastically effected me. (all weather related)

Please explain this.

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 34):
Me too, please explain how I can go for 42 years and never lose a bag on Delta or even have one bad experience in over 100 flights?

If they're as horrible as you claim, it cant be sheer luck.

halls120

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:20 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 37):

I would wash them and get then dry cleaned, sure. That seems like the natural thing to do.

All one has to do when faced with this predicament is go down to the nearest department store and buy a couple of ties and maybe one shirt. One suit, two shirts, and three ties, and no one will notice you are wearing the same suit.

I know, because it happened to me once. And because I was smart enough to carry one suit with me, the delay of my luggage wasn't a cataclysmic event.

rongotai

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:58 am

Reading threads like this reminds me that there are two types of FF - experienced travellers and those who travel a lot but never seem to accumulate any experience. It is no surprise that the former tend to have few bad experiences, and learn from them when they do, while the latter blunder into bad experiences because of their inability to learn.

Like it or not, mass air travel is a highly complex system, subject to many disturbances that can mostly be anticipated but not predicted, and which operates under heavy cost constraints with a very price-sensitive customer base.

Much as I would like the 1950s Stratocruiser experience (except for safety), I just know it isn't so. So like any prudent person I minimise my risk, using all the adaptations that truly experienced travellers have already listed in this thread.

In January I took a three week business trip to Europe (26 hours and a season change for me). I did not check in a bag, yet I had all my business requirements and clean clothes every day from what I had in my carry on bag or was wearing. That's because I wash my socks and underwear and clean my shoes every night in my hotel (learnt from the CEO of a US Fortune 500 company), I carried no computer or paper (flash drives put into other people's terminals or - on occasion - a rented notebook), purchased all toiletries at destination.

Here was what was in my carry on bag:

two shirts
two ties
sweat shirt for weekends
novel
present for granddaughter
pack of business cards.

I transited via Asia instead of the USA (a fortunate option for us Kiwis unless the US is our destination).

I can't always be that efficient and it is true that I usually have to check a bag. But my point is that experienced travellers mitigate their risk. People who just travel a lot continuously walk into lamp posts and then get angry at people for putting them there.

Oh yes - and experienced travellers know that airline employees are human beings, while those that travel a lot think that they are androids.

halls120

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting Rongotai (Reply 39):
Reading threads like this reminds me that there are two types of FF - experienced travellers and those who travel a lot but never seem to accumulate any experience. It is no surprise that the former tend to have few bad experiences, and learn from them when they do, while the latter blunder into bad experiences because of their inability to learn.

thumbsup 

Best post of this thread, and of every "complaining about the airline" thread I've ever read.

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:22 am

Wow, what a post! Just when I'm about to lose it, some one says something like that and restores my faith in humanity. Good show!

But my point is that experienced travellers mitigate their risk. People who just travel a lot continuously walk into lamp posts and then get angry at people for putting them there.

I'd make that my quote if it would fit! Big grin

102IAHexpress

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:50 am

You’re mostly incorrect. Yes travelers should minimize their risk and learn from experience, but what does that have to do with the service the thread starter received after his luggage was lost in the Matrix?

Customer service is not about never making mistakes, but rather how you treat your customers after a mistake has been made.

mariner

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:58 am

So - if an airline, any airline, advertises a schedule, it is a "mistake" for a passenger to book those flights? Perhaps every passenger needs the collective wisdom of a.net.

Yes, all airlines lose baggage, it is how they handle it after the event that matters. The thread starter had an adventure beyond simple lost luggage.

My bag was lost once flying between Bombay and Nairobi - you can hardly blame the weather for that. Yet Kenya Airways handled the matter promptly and efficiently.

Which is all I ask.

???

mariner
aeternum nauta

B777-700

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 42):

You’re mostly incorrect.

He's 100% correct.

With a little pre planning, you avoid these situations.

deltadc9

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 am

Really? I don't know about AA, but personally, I found WN to be one of the most reliable, luggage wise....

I was referring to being screamed at by an airline employee.

Maybe he seems like he is on a high horse because you dont have a leg to stand on?

If you do not plan for an event like this, then you cannot complain when you are unprepared.

You're mostly incorrect. Yes travelers should minimize their risk and learn from experience, but what does that have to do with the service the thread starter received after his luggage was lost in the Matrix?

Customer service is not about never making mistakes, but rather how you treat your customers after a mistake has been made.

It wouldn't matter if HE WAS PREPARED for such an event.

There are many circumstances, such as cancelled flights or flight delayed until morning, where you do not get your bag back. It has happened to me a couple times. I had everything I needed in my carry on.

Also, if the bag is lost and not returned within a reasonable amount of time, you are reimbursed. That has happened too. None of this on Delta I might add.

If it is something valuable or business critical you simply cannot risk losing, UPS it to the destination if you cannot carry it on. No brainer.

Then there is the issue of trip insurance, if there is a risk, BUY IT.

Also, like it or not, RECEIVING good customer service depends on how you present yourself and how you treat the people trying to help you, and from what I gather, he got what he gave. They can make notes on the screen you know.

halls120

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 43):

So - if an airline, any airline, advertises a schedule, it is a "mistake" for a passenger to book those flights? Perhaps every passenger needs the collective wisdom of a.net.

Yes, if you are looking for a trip routing that includes an airport that is prone to delays or lost baggage, you are making a mistake. If you book a flight that includes an airport that is notorious for weather and traffic delays - when there are alternatives - you bear some responsibility for the result, if it is not to your liking.

For example, I avoid ORD in the winter and ATL in the summer, especially if I'm transiting on a tight connection. I refuse to be routed through JFK when going to Europe, because EVERY single time I've flown through there over the past 5 years, I've missed my domestic connection upon return to the US because their immigration and customs operation is the worst in the US. Simple prudence suggests that if I were to choose a JFK routing in the future, I'd be running the same risk.

mariner

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 46):
Yes, if you are looking for a trip routing that includes an airport that is prone to delays or lost baggage, you are making a mistake.

Well, (a) quite often the customer does not get a choice in routing, especially for international, and (b) this completely misses the thread starter's point.

He is not complaining because his bag was lost, weather or delay prone airports or otherwise. His issue is with how the matter was handled.

???

mariner
aeternum nauta

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:56 am

I bet you I've flown on Delta a hell of a lot more than you have, and it hasn't.

If Delta is as terrible as you claim, how come they've never lost my bags? Surely the numbers would have caught up to me by now...

Just because you play with fire doesn't mean you'll get burnt, but at the same time, it doesn't mean you'll NEVER get burnt. Like I said before, wait until your precious airline loses your bag and you can post a thread for me to comment on.

The natural thing, yes.... However, with european service only operating during limited hours, it's hard to coordinate the whole entire event. I guess I'm not staying at the five-star hotels that you are...

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):
All one has to do when faced with this predicament is go down to the nearest department store and buy a couple of ties and maybe one shirt. One suit, two shirts, and three ties, and no one will notice you are wearing the same suit.

I know, because it happened to me once. And because I was smart enough to carry one suit with me, the delay of my luggage wasn't a cataclysmic event.

Very smart comment... obviously, I can do that. I can also call home and have my entire closet shipped or even hire the best designer to tailor a suit overnight. The point of the thread is how Delta should realize the inconvenience that it is causing its passengers and how they should take a more active stance on resolving the issue.

Oh yes - and experienced travellers know that airline employees are human beings, while those that travel a lot think that they are androids.

It is nice to see you defend the airline and how it is operated by human beings.... but the passengers are also human beings who deserve good customer service. Being a customer representative, you have to meet certain requirements of decorum and if you can't display that at ALL times, then QUIT! Nobody's forcing you to work there.

In January I took a three week business trip to Europe (26 hours and a season change for me). I did not check in a bag, yet I had all my business requirements and clean clothes every day from what I had in my carry on bag or was wearing.

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 44):
He's 100% correct.

With a little pre planning, you avoid these situations.

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 45):
If you do not plan for an event like this, then you cannot complain when you are unprepared.

I had everything I needed in my carry on.

Unprepared??? When I return to the US, I will make sure to go through security with ALL my luggages because I will tell them that DeltaDC9 and B777-700 from A.net said that I needed to be prepared JUST in case.

You’re mostly incorrect. Yes travelers should minimize their risk and learn from experience, but what does that have to do with the service the thread starter received after his luggage was lost in the Matrix?

Thank you!  bigthumbsup 

Also, if the bag is lost and not returned within a reasonable amount of time, you are reimbursed. That has happened too. None of this on Delta I might add.

Yes, they reimburse you.... In case you didn't know, the maximum reimbursement set by Delta on international flights is less than $700, that's including the maximum $125 expense for the week where your luggage is missing. So say the airline loses your luggage, your maximum (that's if it's even approved) would be $575. Shoes, couple suits, other clothse, don't you think it's worth more than that?

If it is something valuable or business critical you simply cannot risk losing, UPS it to the destination if you cannot carry it on. No brainer.

If air travel wasn't a headache as it is, next time, I will make sure to pass by UPS beforehand and send my luggage for an additional $200 JUST to make sure that the airline doesn't lose it. I hope you realize how absurd that comment is. What's next?

Also, like it or not, RECEIVING good customer service depends on how you present yourself and how you treat the people trying to help you, and from what I gather, he got what he gave. They can make notes on the screen you know.

Yes, they can make notes on the screen which was half false. When I attempted to correct the record, I asked the manager to repeat my instructions and this is what she said: "Why would i do that? To me, it doesn't make a difference" then "click", she hangs up! After calling Delta every single day for updates and all they can tell me is that "we don't know where you luggage is", you'd be pissed.

Really? Interesting, cause this just came out and was all over the news:

Really? Yes, your stats were flawed! You tried to utilize an entire industry's record and make it sound as if it was Delta's. Here is a more realistic view of lost luggage:

Airlines lose 10,000 bags a dayin 2005!

Surprise surprise! The leaders of the troop are US and DL.....  Wow! Surprised? I'm not!

b777a340fan
Topic Author

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 46):
Yes, if you are looking for a trip routing that includes an airport that is prone to delays or lost baggage, you are making a mistake. If you book a flight that includes an airport that is notorious for weather and traffic delays - when there are alternatives - you bear some responsibility for the result, if it is not to your liking.

For example, I avoid ORD in the winter and ATL in the summer, especially if I'm transiting on a tight connection. I refuse to be routed through JFK when going to Europe, because EVERY single time I've flown through there over the past 5 years, I've missed my domestic connection upon return to the US because their immigration and customs operation is the worst in the US. Simple prudence suggests that if I were to choose a JFK routing in the future, I'd be running the same risk.

I don't have the time or money in order to select the optimal itinerary. If the cheapest flight or most convenient flight is via ORD, JFK, LAX, SFO, ATL, IAD, then so be it. When you're going int'l, however, you're bound to go through one of those hubs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos