Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

rj777

RE: US Will Get The A340!

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:29 pm

Can someone maybe drop a hint as to what this bird MIGHT look? (Photoshop)

jholiiday

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:36 pm

The city of Philadelphia has been expanding at a dramatic rate for the past few years, with lots of Pharmaceutical and Tech companies - flights to Asia would do well here.
-Please sign up for the National Marrow Donor Program Registry - Help Save a life (maybe mine!) marrow.org

vega

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 149):
The truth is that PHL actually doesn't have much of catchment area behind PHL-PVG. It basically will have to rely on traffic coming from perpendicular or in front of PHL on the China route. And given JFK/EWR and IAD are right around the neighborhood and have more importance internationally, and given DTW and ORD are closer to PVG and have superior catchment areas with airlines with a long history of serving Asia, I don't think PHL has much going for it.

The DOT could care less about catchment size. The award of the China route will be based on which community will economically benefit the most from the route. This includes an analysis of trade potential to a large degree - i..e, which area provides the best potential for trade with China. Catchment size is essentially immaterial - the content of the catchment area is what's important, including related business interests and the number of Chinese Americans living in the region. Philadelphia has as much, if not a better, chance of getting this route as Delta's Atlanta does using the above criteria, although I forecast AA will get the award. In fact Atlanta has a minuscule Chinese American population center when compared to Philadelphia. Politics will also likely play an important role in the decision.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

StarGoldLHR

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 20):
I suppose they could try India, though they wouldn't have the advantage with China routes of limited US-China capacity due US-India open skies. In general, I am skeptical of PHL as a major O&D city despite its size.

PHX has a large "real" indian community, a flight to Delhi or Bangalore would make a lot of sense and the country is underserved in general. Given the amount of IT work in both Phoenix and Bangalore this could make sense.

Quoting Stirling (Reply 21):
Even though I will be shouted down, these aircraft will make the most sense flying from PHX and LAS to Frankfurt, Gatwick, and maybe Paris/Amsterdam.

why, when BD flies an A333 from MAN-LAS, does a A345 from LAS-LGW make sense ?
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

N776AU

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting RJ777 (Reply 150):
Can someone maybe drop a hint as to what this bird MIGHT look? (Photoshop)

It's not great, but this is a -600 that I threw together abolut a year ago:

Modified Airliner Photos:
Click here for bigger photo!
Design © N776AU
Template © Chris Liao

Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

dank

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 153):
why, when BD flies an A333 from MAN-LAS, does a A345 from LAS-LGW make sense ?

They don't fly 333s, they fly 332s. I'm not sure that the 333 would do it. But a 343 would be a better choice than a 345 (that said, one could wait for the 332s to come online for US).

cheers.

mk777

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:44 am

Well if US does acquire the 2 A345s, they should tap the china and/or the Indian market. Already, slots at the major airports in India (DEL, BOM etc) are hard to come by, the sooner another US carrier can get in, the better. I think PHL-PVG, PHL-DEL/BOM might be a good routing. However, with a lot of airlines already flooding these two countries, will US be able to compete??

They could look at flying to Australia or New Zealand from the west coast, I am not too sure about PHX (could do well), but how about PDX or SEA, maybe even DEN (even though a little more east)?? I am not sure if these cities have flights to aus and nz. I am sure LAX and SFO are well connected on the kangaroo route, so what about these other west coast cities??  Smile

Any thoughts?
come fly with me

F9Animal

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 122):
Holy jeeez! I think that last statement can be left out. With only one pax on ANY plane, that's a failure!!
I really have to ������ at that one out loud!

Actually, the flight never went out with 1 pax onboard. It did indeed have light loads, but it was not a good time for them to aim for the route. HP was much smaller, and had too many visions in such a short time. Nobody ever thought HP would bcome US, and so on. There is no doubt now that they have the bank account to attempt the route again, and no doubt that they have the airline now to do it.

I would love to see US get the 747, and paint one in the old HP colors! Oh well, seems like they are pretty commited to getting Airbuses.
I Am A Different Animal!!

TropicBird

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 am

I seem to recall reading that what tipped the DOT to award the new IAD to China route to UAL was that they were providing the "most" seats in that market with a 747-400. It seems to me that if US really wants to win that next route to China, they need to lease a few 747-400's not 340's or 777's.

SkyexRamper

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 153):
PHX has a large "real" indian community,

As a posed to a fake one?
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

iadguy73

Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting BAtriple7 (Reply 35):
Would we see tghe A345s on any European routes?

PHL-LHR?  bouncy   stirthepot 

steeler83

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 149):
That may be but PIT has so few direct international connections to anywhere

So few??? How about ZERO!! If you really want to know how I feel about the use of PIT, check out the PIT threads "What's going on at PIT?". I do not believe this is the place to do this... This is merely about PHL, US, and Asia possibilities regarding the A340.

I would love to see international flights - as in flights outside of North America - out of PIT again, but let's face the music. The only A340s, A380s, 767s, etc that PIT will see are the ones vacuum packed in plastic packages at the gift shops... Although there are rumors of FRA returning later this year... but anyway... let's get off the PIT subject (as much as I like talking about it...)

Now, perhaps US does not get the China route approval, which seems likely it will not. I wonder if they'll focus on expanding PHL into Eastern and more of Southern Europe, to places like Moscow, St. Petersburg, Krakow, Warsaw. Tel Aviv I think would be a good route for US out of PHL, as do many others...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

atmx2000

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:56 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 161):
So few??? How about ZERO!! If you really want to know how I feel about the use of PIT, check out the PIT threads "What's going on at PIT?". I do not believe this is the place to do this... This is merely about PHL, US, and Asia possibilities regarding the A340.

I would love to see international flights - as in flights outside of North America - out of PIT again, but let's face the music.

Well, if you define it that way ok. But I tend to think of Canada as another country.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

dank

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:58 am

Quoting IADguy73 (Reply 160):
PHL-LHR?

With a 345? Why? It wouldn't deliver much more than the 333 can to LON. While I fully expect US to want to switch PHL service to LHR from LGW, I wouldn't expect them to use any 340 that they might buy for it.

cheers.

whappeh

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 am

Out side chance, when extra 340s come on the market or when the 332s come into play of a PHL-HNL?
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

steeler83

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 162):
Well, if you define it that way ok. But I tend to think of Canada as another country.

Which is why I defined it that way  Wink PIT has non-stop service to 3 international places: Canada, Mexico, and the Dominican Republic. (SJU is not international. That is Puerto Rico, a USA terrirory, which is something that people do not realize...)
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

vega

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:41 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 164):
Out side chance, when extra 340s come on the market or when the 332s come into play of a PHL-HNL?

Well maybe. If US configured the 340-500 with 377 all Economy seats and each flight was at least 50% sold to big Tour companies, or corporations - they might break even.  smile  A Business class on that route with US would likely contain few revenue passengers - a loosing proposition. All that said, using the 8000-9000nm 340-500 on a 4200 nm route is probably a waste of the resource. The 332 - that's certainly a possibility, but seasonally. NYC can only support a single year round non-stop to HNL - so it's doubtful PHL could. If not China, another Asian city (Seoul, HKG, etc.), or alternately PHL-TLV (a potentially high yield 5000nm route) seem good bets for tthe 340-500s. I know there is speculation that in the event China is not awarded (from any source), then the 340 would be used for PHX-FRA. I think that route would be far less risky with the 332 - especially if US negotiates some early deliveries. We may know US's actual decision (Boeing or Airbus) on April 26th (next Thursday).
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

dank

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 166):
Well maybe. If US configured the 340-500 with 377 all Economy seats and each flight was at least 50% sold to big Tour companies, or corporations - they might break even.    A Business class on that route with US would likely contain few revenue passengers - a loosing proposition. All that said, using the 8000-9000nm 340-500 on a 4200 nm route is probably a waste of the resource. The 332 - that's certainly a possibility, but seasonally. NYC can only support a single year round non-stop to HNL - so it's doubtful PHL could. If not China, another Asian city (Seoul, HKG, etc.), or alternately PHL-TLV (a potentially high yield 5000nm route) seem good bets for tthe 340-500s. I know there is speculation that in the event China is not awarded (from any source), then the 340 would be used for PHX-FRA. I think that route would be far less risky with the 332 - especially if US negotiates some early deliveries. We may know US's actual decision (Boeing or Airbus) on April 26th (next Thursday).

I think you bring up some good points here. My guess is upgauging some of the US (west) HNL routes to bigger aircraft would happen before trying Philly nonstop.

cheers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos