Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager
Topic Author

Sun Country Add More 737s To Fleet

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:32 pm

ST. PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sun Country Airlines announced today that the airline has completed negotiations for the delivery of two new Boeing 737-800's next generation aircrafts. The new planes will arrive July/August of 2007 and will feature Sun Country's signature two-class cabin configuration with large leather seating and modern technical and safety equipment.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070403/20070403005295.html?.v=1

They were recently taken over by Petters Group but what I find interesting is that the delivery slots are for this year. That, to me, implies they are a Lease and not a direct order given slot availability. Yet Boeing added 2 x 737 UFOs last week. Leaves me to ask did a couple of spare production slots appear, perhaps from AirTrans deferrals or were they all placed?

Regards, PanAm_DC10
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

NASCARAirforce

RE: Sun Country Add More 737s To Fleet

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:31 am

So I am assuming they will be in full Sun Country colors. Does that mean that two others will be returned to Transavia? There are two Sun Country/Transavia hybrids that regularly fly into MCO.

N353SK

Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting PanAm_DC10 (Thread starter):
perhaps from AirTrans deferrals or were they all placed?

Is it that easy to switch between building a -700 and a -800?

L.1011

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting N353SK (Reply 2):
Is it that easy to switch between building a -700 and a -800?

If they haven't started building yet, yes. Very few parts are any different, and considering the vast amounts of both types Boeing whips out every year, rest assured suppliers have plenty of both -700 and -800 specific parts where they do exist.

Flighty

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:17 am

Is Sun Country trying to become a network carrier? Sun Country has a niche for MSP leisure, but can they become the next AirTran? It seems really unlikely, given NW's temperment...

Growth may be dangerous for Sun Country.

cbphoto

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 4):
Growth may be dangerous for Sun Country.

Yeah..but look at just how much they have grown in the past few years??? Considering everything that has been going on, they have not grown nearly as much as they could have. I have a feeling they know what they are doing, and remember NWA isn't the big mighty giant they once were. With all of the labor problems and financial problems NWA is having, Sun Country might be seeing this as a small window of chance to expand ever so slightly. After all, they work those planes to death, so a couple more aircraft in the fleet might not be such a bad idea. Sun Country already made the mistake back in the late 90s when they almost ceased operations for good, I doubt they will make the same mistake twice.

Glad to see Petters interjecting some guidance into SY!!!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

N353SK

Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting L.1011 (Reply 3):
If they haven't started building yet, yes. Very few parts are any different, and considering the vast amounts of both types Boeing whips out every year, rest assured suppliers have plenty of both -700 and -800 specific parts where they do exist.

So both the -700 and -800 are made on the same assembly line? I figured it wouldn't be that difficult, just throw another chunk of fuselage in there (obviously i'm being vague).

AlexPorter

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:04 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 4):
Is Sun Country trying to become a network carrier?

By only getting two planes? I doubt that. I'm sure they can use these to improve frequencies on a couple of routes (especially routes to the west coast, where right now they only have one flight a day). A lot of routes actually do quite a bit better simply by offering two daily flights instead of one, because then people have a better choice of timing.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

NASCARAirforce

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:41 am

If anything Sun Country shrunk. Didn't they have a decent amount of 727s and DC-10s back in the day? How many 737s do they have? Like I mentioned, they are leasing two from Transavia at least, how many otherwise?

usflyer msp

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:55 am

It is interesting that they chose to add a flight to Dulles, I thought I would see a return to BOS first. Based upon my experience the IAD flight is usually pretty empty, often to the point where they combine it with the 2nd JFK flight to save money. But they should get some additional business since UA is pulling out of the market. JFK should do fine since SY has the Target contract for NYC, so their JFK flights are always full of Target advertising, marketing, investor relations and finance people.

burnsie28

Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:54 pm

Quoting CBPhoto (Reply 5):
I have a feeling they know what they are doing, and remember NWA isn't the big mighty giant they once were

No they are just a bigger player with more options now, so they have a few less planes.. but their cost structure is low enough they can play hardball easily again.

Quoting CBPhoto (Reply 5):
With all of the labor problems and financial problems NWA is having,

Labor yes... finanancial no, not with NW expecting a huge profit this year.

pilottim747

Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 8):
If anything Sun Country shrunk. Didn't they have a decent amount of 727s and DC-10s back in the day? How many 737s do they have? Like I mentioned, they are leasing two from Transavia at least, how many otherwise?

Sun Country has 7 Boeing 737-800s in its permanent fleet. All these aircraft have first class and are painted in full Sun Country colors. They normally go to business markets before leisure markets because they have first class. The two new Boeing 737-800s on order will be added to the permanent fleet and will be configured with first class as well.

Besides its permanent fleet each winter Sun Country leases Boeing 737-800s from Transavia. These are used for the large increase in flying that SY does during the winter season. These are in the basic Transavia colors and equipment in all one class. According to this Sun Country Myspace.com page, tentative plans are for the Transavia plans to be equipped with first class next winter.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

BigJimFX

Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 1):
So I am assuming they will be in full Sun Country colors. Does that mean that two others will be returned to Transavia?

Which one is full colors? I have seen 2 versions of the livery. One is all white with green to blue strips around the fuselage, with a green S on the tail. The other is the blue with and orange S on the tail and a shadow of the S on the fuselage. Any given day @ DFW you can see either one.
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

pilottim747

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 12):
Which one is full colors? I have seen 2 versions of the livery. One is all white with green to blue strips around the fuselage, with a green S on the tail. The other is the blue with and orange S on the tail and a shadow of the S on the fuselage. Any given day @ DFW you can see either one.

Sun Country Livery
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Josh Akbar

Sun Country/Transavia Hybrid (Transavia new colors)
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ton Jochems

Sun Country/Transavia Hybird (Transavia old colors)
View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Chambers

Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.