Provance

RE: Sweet Sixteenth: Another Serving Of Irish Aviation

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting D.A.A.:
The Dublin Airport Authority formally unveiled its newest check-in area today, Wednesday, 4th April 2007.

Check-in Area 14 represents the first major piece of additional capacity for passengers using T1. The capacity of Area 14 at just over 1,000 sq m is approx quarter of the existing Departures Floor.

This new facility is capable of handling up to 4 million passengers a year and will ease congestion considerably on the Departures Floor.

The DAA also confirmed that Aer Lingus will be the sole user of Area 14. The airline plans to check in close to half its departing passengers through the new facility this year. Following a period of trialling, the new area will become fully operational in time for the peak Summer months.

The new facility was delivered on time and on budget at a cost of €15 million.

Speaking at the launch of Area 14, Director of Dublin Airport, Robert Hilliard said “We believe we have created an impressive and vibrant new check-in facility. The delivery of Area 14 is the first of a number of significant projects that will radically change the passenger experience at Dublin Airport over the next three years.

Pier D, with its 12 new boarding gates will open in the Autumn. We are currently seeking planning for an extension to T1 which will open before the end of next year and, subject to planning, the airport’s second passenger terminal, T2, will begin construction this summer for delivery before the end of 2009.”

Dublin Airport expects 14.5 million passengers to travel between April and October this year - a 7% increase over same period in 2006. The airport will handle close to 1m additional passengers during this 7-month period including 2 million passengers a month between May and September. Fourteen new routes/services have already started operating to date this year, and a further 10 are due to commence between May and August.

The DAA outlined a number of measures to help facilitate the additional volume of passengers this Summer, such as:

* Full slot co -ordination – coordinated airports are better able to manage the peak arrival and departure times of aircraft, thereby easing some of the pressure on passengers at peak periods.
* 2 new Security Channels bringing the total in Pier A to 11 and overall to 18.
* 100 additional security staff currently being trained – 520 in total
* Delivery of 4,000 new passenger trolleys
* €10m recently invested in upgraded car and coach park
* Over 2,000 new long-term car park spaces
* Major upgrading of catering outlets on Mezzanine Floor, which will be delivered in time for the Summer season.

Today’s unveiling of Area 14 also sees the launch of a new direct information campaign by the DAA to passengers travelling through Dublin Airport. Called “Transforming Dublin Airport,” this campaign will inform passengers about the DAA’s detailed plans to expand and radically improve passenger facilities at the airport over the next three years and beyond.

The campaign will use large posters and banners around the airport to show the new check-in, pier and terminal facilities that will come on stream over the next three years, up to and including T2. Other direct information channels will also be used including brochures – 100,000 will be distributed directly to passengers over the next two weeks – airport information screens, the DAA and Dublin Airport websites and targeted media advertising.
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

shamrock350

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 48):
Well i dont really have that strong views but EI should really look at the implications before submitting adverts as should all airlines. They are an international airline and provide service for many nationalities not just Irish so they should be alert to various sensitivities.

Maybe EI will be a bit more careful with what they say in future adverts and emails.

Quoting Provance (Reply 50):

Good to hear cant wait to see EI operating down there in the "nightclub"

Quoting Eirbus06 (Reply 47):
I think this livery looks fantastic on the 787!!!

Aer Lingus would look better Big grin

EISHN

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Aer Lingus have removed the red dot from their downloadable images in the media section ,and replaced with the new one, which fits in much better than the last one.

Big version: Width: 543 Height: 118 File size: 7kb
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

shamrock350

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Looks even better in white! The new routes have been added to the US route map. Looks like a real long-haul airline now!

Toulouse

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 46):
A sentence in an advert has been taken out of proportion and made to look like Aer Lingus is supporting animal cruelty

I won't even give my opinon... but this sort of rubbish just makes my blood boil. Having lived in Spain for 10 years (and I hate bull-fighting) but I don't think I have ever seen a single book on Spain or a tourist book that doesn't mention such rooted part of Spanish culture. And I agree... the atmosphere at a bull-fight is exceptional (albeit all the blood and the death of the poor bull of course)...
Long live Aer Lingus!

OA260

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 54):
the atmosphere at a bull-fight is exceptional (albeit all the blood and the death of the poor bull of course)...

I just think EI didnt think which is nothing un usual. Im do kind of lean to the abolishion of bull fighting as it is cruel. Spain are part of the EU and just because they have done something for hundreds of years doesnt mean its right in 2007. Any cruelty to animals should be banned in the EU.

shamrock350

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:38 pm

I cant wait to see more routes being added! MIA and PHL anybody want to take a few more guesses?

Also 82% of Aer Lingus flights were ontime and 97% were within an hour during March.

Toulouse

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 55):
I just think EI didnt think which is nothing un usual. Im do kind of lean to the abolishion of bull fighting as it is cruel. Spain are part of the EU and just because they have done something for hundreds of years doesnt mean its right in 2007. Any cruelty to animals should be banned in the EU.

Oh don't get me wrong OA260, I also think it's utterly barbaric, it's just some of these "animal protection associations" are just as dangerous if not more. Anyway, not the place to discuss this here.

By the way, of course I have a "cave"! I was actually thinking of you earlier and your signature "Countdown to the A380" as I snapped a few good shots of her from my garden this afternoon. I'll post them here later or tomorrow.

Nice to see the new destinations on the map, thanks Shamrock350.
Long live Aer Lingus!

ZRH

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 58):
Somebody told me that he heard (!?) that LH is considering to buy up to 60 Embraers. If this was true it would be pretty clear that Swiss would get some of them to replace the AVROs. But I have to say this only a rumor and I really don't know from where he heard this. Does probably anybody else know more about it?

There must be a problem. This was my post and not the one of Kaitak. What happened????? And furthermore it is the wron thread????!!!!! I posted it in an other one. ?????!!!!

[Edited 2007-04-05 18:50:47]

[Edited 2007-04-05 18:51:13]

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting ZRH (Reply 60):
There must be a problem. This was my post and not the one of Kaitak. What happened????? And furthermore it is the wron thread????!!!!! I posted it in an other one. ?????!!!!

Airliners.net is messing up again! Has been for the past hour.

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 57):
"Countdown to the A380" as I snapped a few good shots of her from my garden this afternoon. I'll post them here later or tomorrow

Cool your sooo lucky !!!! I havnt even seen 1 in real life yet!!!!

EISHN

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 59):
Could explain why they're hiring so many new Cabin Crew!

They're also hiring more catering staff, so I guess they won't be subsidising that area.

Shamrock350, do you think you could do another picture for us on paint shop pro? Could you paste the aerlingus.com picture I have above in post no. 52 (minus the shamrock) onto any one of the following picutres please?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fergul Mc Clean (Mac Photography)
View Large View Medium

Photo © French Frogs AirSlides

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manu.h
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

Thanks Shamrock!
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

bx737

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:09 am

Don't worry ZRH I could not get into the forums earlier on today. It said there was a problem with the forums.

Just to let you know I saw it in the ticker tape on the top of www.skyliner-aviation.de that LH are to order 60 ERJ190S. For the Irish fans if you look at the photo pages on this site (page 2 when this was posted) you will see EI-RJO in the new Cityjet colour, or would it be fair to say the new Cityjet white with a blob of red. Its hideous as far as I am concerned.

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 63):
Shamrock350, do you think you could do another picture for us on paint shop pro?

Of course I will, I will put them on photobucket when I'm done and post them!

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 am

Gosh, sorry about that ZRH, there seems to be gremlins in the machine today; when I tried to post my message (which follows), there was a message saying "too many connections" and when it appeared, it was half way down the page, but my message seemed to have been posted.

We're in the twilight zone; any moment now we'll see a little monster chewing the wing!

Anyway, this is what I wanted to post:

I had a look at the schedules for Dubai over the coming Winter season and it seems as if they've gone back to the old, unhelpful, timing - departing DUB at 12.15 (it was 11am last time) and arriving back in DUB next day at 5.30am; it really makes connections from EK flights very difficult; the current 7am departure (approx) is ideal, as most flights from Asia/ Australia arrive in at about 5.30am.

I understand that they had to shift flights around to accommodate the new US routes, but was it really necessary to wreck the schedule for Dubai as a result? Even with the current schedule, it should still have been possible to accommodate new flights. Also now, with the 5.30am departure, connections from DXB to US destinations (with the possible exception of SFO - if they're on the same day) are made far more difficult.

To me, the change is an invitation to EK to fly in - if they would get their act together! If that happens, it will endanger prospects for EI expansion elsewhere in Asia, particularly BKK, so I wonder what EI's strategy is and why they felt it necessary to change a schedule which seemed to be working?

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 66):
I wonder what EI's strategy is and why they felt it necessary to change a schedule which seemed to be working?

Especially when Aer Lingus has started getting 80% load factor on DXB routes since the change to the times allowing EK connections!
Are they just going to hope that passengers dont notice the change and continue flying. I would really like to see how many Aer Lingus passengers flying to DXB stay there or actually fly onto other Asian routes.

ThrottleHold

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:30 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 67):
Especially when Aer Lingus has started getting 80% load factor on DXB

...and more importantly, a similar load factor for Premier.

thediplomat

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 17):
Will EI passengers not have to clear security on the main departures level?

Yes

Quoting EI321 (Reply 33):
- Im not 100% sure what the routes through security is like.

Via Pier A

Quoting EI321 (Reply 44):
Its finished, so a few weeks at most

Its been finished for about two months, awaiting a certain blue low cost airline to use the facility...

EISHN

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:56 am

Thanks Shamrock350!!
Its a really great improvement on the red dot! I wish i had that programme for my computer.
Thanks again for going through the hassle, I really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 71):
Thanks Shamrock350!!

Your welcome and it was no hassle at all! I might try an A330 later, I hope they dont put it on the A330s but just in case they do I would like to see what it might look like so I wont get a shock when a photo appears on the database.

EISHN

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:07 am

Does anyone have any information regarding post 19?

Toulouse

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:13 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 62):
Cool your sooo lucky !!!! I havnt even seen 1 in real life yet!!!!

I know they're only more photos, but better than nothing. To be honest it's been overflying my house all afternoon, and was really getting on my nerves this morning as I tried to concentrate on a job I had to deliver... once business was done, I ran out to the garden and these are my shots of one of times it flew right over my back garden:

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 64):
Cityjet white with a blob of red. Its hideous as far as I am concerned.

It is hideous. So we finally seem to be getting rid of the red dot on EI and now Cityjet intodruce this new hideous red blob...
Long live Aer Lingus!

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:14 am

I dont know about the saints maybe some of the old names from the 737s will return!

Quoting EISHN (Reply 19):
Also I heard a rumour that EI had a A330-200 going to be delivered in the Autumn of 2001, but was cancelled. Can anyone confirm/deny this? If it was coming on line where would it have gone?

I heard about an A330 on order before 9/11 but wasn't sure it was due around that time. I suspect it was cancelled but who would have taken it? No airline would want an A330 at that time but as we all know there are lots of A330s flying around now so it could be any airline that got it from mid-2002 onwards.

BrianDromey

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:37 am

I had a look at the schedules for Dubai over the coming Winter season and it seems as if they've gone back to the old, unhelpful, timing - departing DUB at 12.15 (it was 11am last time) and arriving back in DUB next day at 5.30am; it really makes connections from EK flights very difficult; the current 7am departure (approx) is ideal, as most flights from Asia/ Australia arrive in at about 5.30am.

Clearly EI is trying to use the fleet more effeciently. DXB is unfortunate, being the only other eastbound LH route. Thsi makes it difficult to integrate the aircraft into the schedules without a long stop somewhere. Somethiung like DXB-DUB-SFO would work OK timing wise.

DUB-SFO 14:30-18:30
SFO-DUB 19:45-13:30*
DUB-DXB 17:55-04:25
DXB- DUB 0700-12:15

The problem could be integrating this in with the rest of the EI fleet. Although it should be OK to operate EI109, EI usually operates an A333 on this route, I believe? I think EI will need to launch another eastbound service, or move teh times of some other service around to allow for connections at DXB.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:16 am

Shannon Airport employees have overwhelmingly accepted the proposed plan to cut airport costs and reduce the workforce.

Great news for SNN, which will hopefully be in a position to be more aggressive in seeking new customers - and retaining some of the existing US traffic ...

http://www.rte.ie/business/2007/0405/shannon.html

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 72):
really getting on my nerves this morning

Shame on you LOL....fed up of an A380 !!! Tell them they can fly over my house anytime LOL....

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 67):
So far I have done four hope they are ok for you EISHN!

Nice improvements , looks alot better than present.

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 64):
To me, the change is an invitation to EK to fly in

Hopefully !!!

There have been some un happy customers already bending my ear!!! If EI hope that the passengers wont notice then I have news for them. How stupid to change the schedules to ''mis connect'' with all major routes out of DXB . A high proportion of EI passengers are not just stopping in DXB. My guess is EK will try to get a DUB route. At the moment all EI does is offer a feeder service to DXB for EK !!! Same as EI do for KLM in AMS.

COEI2007

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 76):
Clearly EI is trying to use the fleet more effeciently. DXB is unfortunate, being the only other eastbound LH route. Thsi makes it difficult to integrate the aircraft into the schedules without a long stop somewhere. Somethiung like DXB-DUB-SFO would work OK timing wise.

DUB-SFO 14:30-18:30
SFO-DUB 19:45-13:30*
DUB-DXB 17:55-04:25
DXB- DUB 0700-12:15

The problem could be integrating this in with the rest of the EI fleet. Although it should be OK to operate EI109, EI usually operates an A333 on this route, I believe? I think EI will need to launch another eastbound service, or move teh times of some other service around to allow for connections at DXB.

Perhaps the DXB timings are shifted back to the old unhelpful times, just for this winter? I figure a flight to Asia is on the cards, and with another flight to the East, DXB will be restored to its current time's? Theres been a lot said about BKK, and DM had said he could source more A330's next year!!! Hopefully, they do it!!!!! I'd love to work a BKK trip, but i'd still be way too junior next year! I'll just cross my fingers to be long-haul trained for the moment!!!!!!

BrianDromey

RE: Sweet Sixteenth: Another Serving Of Irish Avia

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 79):
I'd love to work a BKK trip, but i'd still be way too junior next year! I'll just cross my fingers to be long-haul trained for the moment!!!!!!

Did you get in at EI? If so congrats! Maybe you will join the ranks of ORK based crew! All of the ORK based crew I've come accross seem like they would be really good to work with. The passengers are not too bad either, from what Ive seen! Mind you AerArann might tell you a different story!

There have been some un happy customers already bending my ear!!!
OA, have many people booked onward connections with EK, etc or are these people mainly staying in the UAE? (Personally I wouldn't holiday again in the UAE....at least not in summer!)

As I'm here, can anyone tell me the story with EI's On-Line-Check-In if travelling on a KL codeshare? Will EI.com allow me to check-in as far as SFO, or even AMS? Or do we have to go the check-in desks full stop? I assume that EI would be able to print boarding passes, as the connection is 2hrs? This trip was booked on one of the GDS's and none of the features in"Manage Booking" seem to work.

Brian

[Edited 2007-04-05 22:28:53]

[Edited 2007-04-05 22:32:40]

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 80):
OA, have many people booked onward connections with EK, etc or are these people mainly staying in the UAE? (Personally I wouldn't holiday again in the UAE....at least not in summer!)

EI and EK have special fares to Australia and alot of people go that route. I wouldnt go back to DXB in summer either , I was there on year in June and it was 50+!!! I couldnt walk on the sand as it burned, it was un bearable and I like the heat. The only way I can explain it is like ''putting your head in a fan assisted oven''.

I love DXB though and best times are Feb/Mar or Nov/Dec.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 80):
As I'm here, can anyone tell me the story with EI's On-Line-Check-In if travelling on a KL codeshare? Will EI.com allow me to check-in as far as SFO,

I am nearly sure you will have to check in at the counter. If it does allow you to check in online you will need the EI ref and not the KLM one. You will not get your AMS-SFO and thats for sure. Try it anyway for the DUB-AMS and let us know what happens.

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:50 am

I went to Dubai in April and it was quite hot, I was sick for half the holiday and I thought it was the heat but I picked up a cold that got worse due to the travelling and adjusting to the heat. I would love to go back but maybe during the winter and not the spring.

Nice pics of the A380 Toulouse, I can't wait to see at LHR again. I was annoyed the A380 trip next week was cancelled would have been nice to see it again.

PenPusher

RE: Sweet Sixteenth: Another Serving Of Irish Avia

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:18 am

had a look at the schedules for Dubai over the coming Winter season and it seems as if they've gone back to the old, unhelpful, timing - departing DUB at 12.15 (it was 11am last time) and arriving back in DUB next day at 5.30am; it really makes connections from EK flights very difficult; the current 7am departure (approx) is ideal, as most flights from Asia/ Australia arrive in at about 5.30am.

Hi Lads

Kaitak

Check out the timetable in aerlingus.com . Its not as bad as you may think. Looks like only 30 minute change to the timings!.

From Dublin(DUB) to Dubai(DXB)
Flight NotDeparttArrivetDays of ServicetValid FromtValid To
EI0102t1745t0505*t- T - T - S - t26-Dec-2007t28-Feb-2008
t 1745 0505*t- T - T - S - t28-Oct-2007t24-Dec-2007
From Dubai(DXB) to Dublin(DUB)
Flight NotDeparttArrivetDays of ServicetValid FromtValid To
EI0101t0730t1200t- - W - F - S t27-Dec-2007t28-Feb-2008
t0730t1200t- - W - F - S t31-Oct-2007t25-Dec-2007

TTFN PenPusher

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:24 am

Hi PenPusher!
Thanks for the timetable info, I couldnt be bothered to go on aerlingus.com no matter how nice it looks now  Wink
How have you been?

Quote:
Plenty of legroom, a clean bathroom and seat-back TVs are among the things valued most by passengers on flights, according to a new survey.

Now Aer Lingus take that as a hint  Big grin

http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/flights/2007/04/legroom_and_cle.html

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:30 am

Where did you get that timetable from ??? Aer Lingus.com has it wrong in their website. The Friday flight is missing. Also they are changing them in June also.

[Edited 2007-04-05 23:36:47]

EI321

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 56):
MIA and PHL anybody want to take a few more guesses?

DFW

Quoting Thediplomat (Reply 68):
Quoting EI321 (Reply 33):
- Im not 100% sure what the routes through security is like.

Via Pier A

Directly?

BrianDromey

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 79):
I am nearly sure you will have to check in at the counter. If it does allow you to check in online you will need the EI ref and not the KLM one. You will not get your AMS-SFO and thats for sure. Try it anyway for the DUB-AMS and let us know what happens.

Cheers OA, I was thinking that OLCI would not be available to us, the KLM.ie site dose not offer it either. The thing is we dont seem to have an EI booking code, just a KL one, but I think we will still be able to use fast-pass. As we will have bags to check-in anyway, it makes little difference. Ill just have to say the prayers and hope that 13A is still available at the desk. Preferred seat, or not I'll be sure to do a TR. ORK-AMS-SFO, SFO-HNL, HNL-MSP-EWR, JFK-AMS-ORK with NW/KL and EI should be pretty interesting, even if the writing style is not.

RE: DXB

The flight timings seem to be totally erratic in September and October, then reverting to a "sensible" times in November, albeit at 3x week. Maybe thie strange timings are due to a crewing issue? Or maybe they are sending the 332s in for a tarting up before the new routes are launched.

Brian.

airlittoralguy

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:06 am

Currently in Dublin, I am seeking for a job placement in the air transport industry for this summer. I have given cv at the airport. I have also been to the hq of aer lingus and cityjet. I would like to know if some of you have contact inside companies such as airlines or daa, so that I can send them directly my CV.

Do not hesitate to pm me.

Thank you
Normandie : La r�©unification, maintenant ! http://www.mouvement-normand.com/

Toulouse

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Airlittoralguy (Reply 86):
Currently in Dublin, I am seeking for a job placement in the air transport industry for this summer. I have given cv at the airport. I have also been to the hq of aer lingus and cityjet. I would like to know if some of you have contact inside companies such as airlines or daa, so that I can send them directly my CV.

Bienvenue à Dublin et très bon courage pour ton stage Airlottoralguy! Unfortunately I don't have any good contacts that might be able to help you. I do know (well sort of, she's the girlfriend of one of my nephew's friends) who is an F/A with Cityjet/Air France. I'll be over to Dublin for Easter on Sunday and will ask him if she has any ideas, but as she's young and only starting off I don't know how much she'd be able to help you. I will pm you though if I hear of anything.
Apart from that, apart from handing in your CV, I'd say phone them every now and then (EI, AF, DAA and anyone else) and keep reminding them... that way there's less chance your CV will just end up at the end of a huge pile. Be polite and not insistant, but let them know you're serious about the work placement and serious about getting it. And as I said, je te souhaite très bon courage!
Long live Aer Lingus!

thediplomat

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 84):
Via Pier A

Directly?

Pier A security queues will be rebuilt to accomodate people from downstairs, alongside the current users...

You come from Area 14 via lifts, stairs or two escalators to the pier A security area just behind where the current domestic fast track exists. Its quite smooth actually, although to get the escalators in you walk in an N shape...

Amazing that this space existed in the new terminal - foresight must exist somewhere.

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 85):
but I think we will still be able to use fast-pass

I actually checked and when you book a flight DUB-AMS-SFO and its all booked on KLM flight numbers you dont get a EI ref. So you may not be able to use fastpass. You could try putting your passport in the machine and see if it brings it up but I doubt it. I know 100% that it works using the KLM fastpass machines in AMS if you are booked on an EI flight number as I did it myself last June. I think because you are KLM all the way and need to get two boarding cards and have bags thru checked that the counter will be your best bet. By the way are you doing ORK-AMS or DUB-AMS??? If its DUB I might have a way to get you seat 13!!!

[Edited 2007-04-06 12:01:12]

aerarann

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting Thediplomat (Reply 68):
Its been finished for about two months, awaiting a certain blue low cost airline to use the facility...

Thediplomat, Its no longer being used by FR, its now exclusively EI

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 78):
AerArann might tell you a different story!

Haha

al2637

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Thediplomat (Reply 88):
Amazing that this space existed in the new terminal - foresight must exist somewhere.

Yup, this box was originally to serve as a Metro station I believe, great foresight by the designers of the current terminal. But now the station is being moved to in between the 2 terminals, it can be used for other things.

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:14 pm

Apparantly Area 14 might only be for EI TransAtlantic passengers and half of the fast pass machines may be moved down stairs also. It seems weird that the whole lot wouldnt go down there to keep it in one area. Anyway we wont know until it happens in May.

Must say the area looks lovely and modern. Shame the whole Terminal doesnt look like that.

[email protected]

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:14 pm

A terminal is a terminal. So long as it can fit the required number of customers and can process them quickly and cheaply, I don't give a damn whether it's top-quality, normal or a shed. All I care about is being able to sit down and then board. No pretentions. No nonsense. Simple and quick.

[Edited 2007-04-06 12:23:16]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

OA260

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:28 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 93):
A terminal is a terminal. So long as it can fit the required number of customers, I don't give a damn whether it's top-quality, normal or a shed. All I care about is being able to sit down and then board. Simple and quick.

The terminal is more than that mate !!! People want facilities and services. As a recent survery suggests::

Skytrax does not measure elements like on-time performance, lost baggage or customer complaints. Rather, the survey (which contains more than 5.5 million responses) asks passengers about 31 criteria, including airport access, public transit availability, terminal comfort, ambience and cleanliness, immigration wait times and service, terminal signage, friendliness and language skills of airport staff, ease of connections, entertainment, shopping and dining options, and Internet options.

[email protected]

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 94):
The terminal is more than that mate !!! People want facilities and services.

What a load of nonsense. A terminal is all about processing customers from entering the building, to checking-in, to security, to leaving it. Everything else is second to that; indeed, but for the ability to be processed, a terminal would cease to function. Of course, secondary considerations, like restaurants, cash machines, bars, cafes, etc., might be liked, even viewed as essential by some, but they are not as important as processing customers - the primary purpose of a terminal. Certainly, so long as the terminal is efficient and can handle the necessary numbers of customers quickly and cheaply, then it has succeeded in achieving its purpose. Again, everything beyond processing customers is secondary. For me, I care very little about anything other than being able to sit down and processed quickly.

[Edited 2007-04-06 13:06:56]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Toulouse

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 93):
All I care about is being able to sit down and then board. No pretentions. No nonsense. Simple and quick.

No wonder you're such an FR fan!  Wink
Are you sure you're not MOL in disguise?

Just to let all those who may be interested know, I was dropping somebody off for the IB flight to MAD this morning at TLS, and decided to await around to see my dear green 320 arrive from DUB... 10 minutes late today!
Anyway, I think I could make out an EI tail on a brand new 330 (fuselage still unpainted). Anyone who knows TLS will know Airbus is right oppostie the terminal building, with the parallell runways in between. Now she was sort of hidden in the background around where all the Belugas are parked, and even though my eyes are not what they used to be, I'm 99% sure it was EI, so if I get a chance later, I'll pop out in the car and see if I can get a photo (no point in me taking one form the airport as my zoom is pretty basic) so I'll drive around the other side of the airport (which I'm less familiar with and always get lost) and see if I can get any better views of her, and if it is indeed one of the new EI 330's I'll snap a few photos and post them later.

Also, I was thinking about our discussions on a.net this morning, mainly regarding the criticism from some about EI now giving the OPTION to pay for an assigned seat in advance, baggage charges (which I don't like either, but accept) and I was thinking just how spoilt the travelling Irish market is. We seem to want everything as cheap as possible, which is understandable, but are we not getting a bit overly demanding and spoilt?
My point is, living in France (perhaps not the best example due to AF's dominance), but when I'm booking a flight here with AF online and I see the prices (per segment, i.e. each way) are still "only" in double figures, I sort of go "Yippee, it's still really cheap". As an example when recently booking AF flights I got for my outward flight €97 and the return €80 something, and I though what a great bargain. Add taxes etc to this and we're well over the €200 mark for a 50 minute flight, but I think it's a great offer. Now what do I get? An assigned seat just like EI. Can I pre-select my seat in advance like with EI? No. Do I have any opportunity to select my seat? Of course, when I get the nice little email from AF 24 hours before departure inviting me to check-in online (I like that touch)... yet I usually never manage to get a seat up-front as I like? What is my baggage allowance? 20 kilos, just like EI. Do I have to pay for those 20 kilos, NO, but the ticket cost a lot more. Do I get food on-board? Yes, a little roll (usually a choice of two) + coffee/tea or one of those tiny cans. I can also good food on EI, in fact a much wider range of food on offer, and it's usually tastier, but I have to pay for it, yet AF has already included the little sandwich and drink in my price ticket. Do I usually have punctual flights with AF? Yes, just like I haven't a long delay with EI in years. Is the service professional and friendly on AF? Yes, just as I find it to be on EI. Am I constantly hassled to buy products,, scrtach cards and who knows what else on AF? No, just as I am not on EI either.
So considering my EI flights "usually" end up much cheaper than my AF flights, who is offering me better value? Most probably Aer Lingus. That said, I find both airlines to be excellent, and despite my softspot for EI, I find both AF and EI to be relatively equal in service on short-haul.
So what I'm saying... has the Irish traveller possible become spolit?
Long live Aer Lingus!

[email protected]

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 96):
No wonder you're such an FR fan!
Are you sure you're not MOL in disguise?

And have over 500m EUR? Wouldn't that be nice?

Toulouse

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 97):
Wouldn't that be nice?

spin 

On your comments regarding airports, I would have to support AO260. In essence of course you are right, a terminal is there to process it's clients. But why should it end at that? Most customers prefer added-value services, and why do you think all the new terminals cropping up around the world are offering more and more services? Because that's what pax want, and of course the airport makes lots of extra €€€€'s. Some people might be ok with a shed à la MOL, but I severly doubt the majority of pax or airport managers would agree with you.
Long live Aer Lingus!

shamrock350

Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:10 pm

Lets hope that tail you saw was Aer Lingus Toulouse! I can't think of many green Airbus operators.

I think both the Irish and British travelling public are spoilt. The fact that Ireland's biggest airlines are Ryanair, a budget airline and Aer Lingus, a former full service airline turned low fare airline means we should expect low fares and a great service the whole time. Aer Lingus and Ryanair are all about choice, they give you the option whereas with a full service airline, they dont give you the choice to pay for food, it's in the cost of your ticket even if you dont want the roll and drink they offer. You cant ask for your €5 back at the end of the flight if you didn't eat the food it's just the way they work.

How would the Irish public like it if Aer Lingus and Ryanair one day thought "lets go somewhere else for a year and see how it works out" they would never do it but just saying they did and a full service airline arrived in DUB, ORK and SNN with high fares and frills like full service airlines have. I doubt people would like it and the press would be begging for EI and FR to come back.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos