Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AlecxiA319

RE: Delta's New Livery Is Out

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:21 am

At first I thought that you guys were being a little harsh about it...
because the pictures had been deleted from flickr...
but then i actually saw it on the model... and you guys are totally right...i thought that this was just comparing DL to an old airlines past livery!
AlecxiA319

cloudyapple

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:23 am

You guys hated the wavy gravy when they brought it out. So did you all hated the previous widget scheme. Now you are hating this new look with a modern touch.

Get over it and stop moaning! Like it or not it's here to stay, for the next year or so, until they rebrand again in 12 month's time, which you guys will no doubt hate.

I like it. It's modern, minimalist and classy.
A310/A319/20/21/A332/3/A343/6/A388/B732/5/7/8/B742/S/4/B752/B763/B772/3/W/E145/J41/MD11/83/90

flybyguy

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 165):
I did this very quickly just to see what it might look like on a 738.

The new colors are ok, but I don't think they'll win any awards with this concept.

Big version: Width: 1024 Height: 328 File size: 353kb
New Elegant DL Livery

I think this Livery is VERY, VERY good and elegant. The livery is simple with a good deal of sophistication, like the US Airways rebranding in the late 90s. I don't understand why people hate this livery... I think this is one of the best airline rebranding concepts I've seen.

I cant understand why people here like these liveries:

Big version: Width: 648 Height: 220 File size: 17kb

Big version: Width: 640 Height: 308 File size: 43kb

Those are completely boring simply because they are only slight variations of what Delta has already done before. I think Delta emerging as a new, strong and victorious airline needs a fresh, new and elegant livery that says to the world that Delta is a new and serious airline ready to compete in the 21st century, not in the 70s and 80s. The new Widget reflects the airline's taking a piece of the past and and turning it into something with modern sophistication.

I think if Delta is serious about rebranding they will choose the new livery to reflect the new airline.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

piercey

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Concord977 (Reply 165):

Quoting MP (Reply 224):

Nice repaints, guys, and proving another item I was thinking about.

The plane won't look half-bad on the shorter planes, but the 767, 777, and 757 it's going to look awful on.  yuck 
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

Delta4eva

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:29 am

I've changed my mind completely.... I love it!!! It's so different from what I thought it was going to be. But, it represents DL moving on and completely changing into a new airline. I think that the old Adiemus song theme would go great with this livery.
FLY DELTA JETS

aircanada014

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:29 am

That has to be one of the worst livery I've ever seen especially the tail. They need to redue their livery, I really like their original livery although we have to give them credit for changing the entire livery.

AlecxiA319

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:32 am

Oh Yeah,
and they should have made it black and metallic silver...
with big, barely noticeable DL letters, like Silver Jet!
When they turn, it will glare.. like if it were silver or gold!
My uncle is a pilot for Delta, he flies the 767, and he is coming down for Easter,
Ill see how he likes it...
AlecxiA319  beady 

TSS

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:33 am

"Welcome to Citgo Airlines"  mischievous 

Maybe they'll get a break on the cost of fuel?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

calpsafltskeds

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:41 am

This is probalby the ulgiest paint scheme ever. The Blue to way to dark, the widget on an angle makes no sense, the widget looks like it could be part of the star from Chrysler, or worse yet, one of the points to the Star on the Star Alliance.
http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/index.html

I don't think the rounded blue bottom paint does anything for the look of the aircraft. The straight up widget and DELA name on the side looks too static, lack of action implied with straight up and down letters.

Dump those dark red winglets and put something with style on them - widget, delta.com, something.

Why does DL think it needs to change its paint scheme again?

rj777

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:45 am

Let's hope someone from DL is reading all this!

OA412

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:45 am

Quoting Jetlanta (Reply 243):
imagine what this livery would look like on a REAL airplane in REAL sunlight.

Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 251):
I like it. It's modern, minimalist and classy.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 252):
I think this Livery is VERY, VERY good and elegant. The livery is simple with a good deal of sophistication,

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

People seem to forget that DL is trying to position itself as a modern, global brand and this new branding aims to do that. It may not be what a lot on here were expecting but I think that's partly the point. Like other's on here have said, this isn't your fathers DL anymore.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

DeltaAVL

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 252):
I think this Livery is VERY, VERY good and elegant.

And I have changed my mind yet again - that scheme looks spectacular on the 737! Wow, now I can't wait until they roll it out. Funny how looking at something a different way changes your perspective entirely.

I agree - extraordinarily classy:

kaitak744

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:48 am

So, this is their 4th livery in 10 years? Does Delta realize that it looses money every time it rebrands the products?

JGPH1A

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:48 am

Quoting Jetlanta (Reply 243):
Very fitting for a global, business-travel oriented airline

Which would be great, except that DL is a domestic, bus service-oriented airline. International traffic is a drop in the bucket for them, it's a useful feed for domestic (except JFK), they have no international-to-international traffic at all. And their business class on international is sub-standard - 2 x 2 x 2 on a 767, whereas most have 2x1x2 or 1x2x2.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

DLCnxgptjax

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:50 am

I'm sorry, but after looking at this livery over and over again, I still CANNOT warm up to it. I am willing to accept change ( I'm a big fan of the current livery), but this? I am not a big fan of US, but they got it right IMO with their new livery.

I agree with those that say the average passenger doesn't CARE about what's on the outside of the airplane, but they definately pay attention to it. I know a lot of people who refer to airlines that they don't really know by name by what's on the outside of it.

"The one with the big "a" on the tail"
"the one with the animals on the tail" as someone mentioned above
"The one with the red leaf on the tail"
"The one with the cartoon airplane on it" (no longer exist)

Those are just the ones I've heard family members and friends mention.

TACAA320

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:52 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Thread starter):
And it's a MAJOR letdown, IMHO:
http://flickr.com/photos/ritchkoff/4...7339/

Can't see any picture.  Sad
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TSS

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:52 am

Am I the only one who sees the extraordinary resemblance between the new widget and this logo?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

JAAlbert

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:54 am

I can see why Delta chose this minimalist paint scheme on the body -- one color, no cheat line, minimal paint, minimal cost to apply it, and probably a 100 or so lbs less in paint. I don't mind the tail logo, but I would never, ever have guessed that this is a delta plane had I not just read 245 posts on the topic.

I don't think you build brand recognition by making your logo unrecognizable or impossible for the average person to draw. If the company is serious about building brand recognition, one would think the company logo, the widget, would be easily identifiable on every aircraft and on every advertisement, signage, letter head, etc. American Airlines, love em or hate em, is a textbook example in building brand recognition using its logo. The double "A" logo is everywhere and on everything, plus the company inserts it into virtually every marketing title that is spelled with an "a" (AAdvantage, etc).

McDonalds' double arches is another logo instantly recognized across the planet, even if the lettering on the sign is in a foreign language. The double arches are recognizeable cause its a simple design that McDonald's has stuck with for decades.

Delta has its widget and should display the widget. Stop fooling around with it.

airbus3801

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:55 am

Deplorable. Complete lack of innovation. It looks like a 4 year old painted it. Why must they constantly change it. It is not like a girl who when they break up with a boyfriend cut their hair or something. It's silly.

calpsafltskeds

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 am

Maybe DL wants to make a fuel buy deal with Chavez in Venezuela? After all, Chevez helped the poor in the NE with fuel oil and DL's in BK. .That could help their bottom line.

steeler83

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 am

That livery really doesn't look like "Delta" at all in my opinion... If they're going to bring back the livery, then bring it, the original, back. Don't make some other [email protected]$$ mock-concept of it er something of the type. They should bring it back, maybe modify it VERY LITTLE, at least modify the rest of the livery, to a red-blue scheme. I have to admit, that black-ish scheme with the black nose from the '60s, that did look horrible. The Delta Widget was their signature feature. I still recognize DL as having that widget... Bring... that... back... please...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

EXMEMWIDGET

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:06 am

Does anyone have another link for the photos? The original link states that the photos have been removed.
Ex DL and NW, current FX.

gkpetery

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:08 am

All the links to the new livery photo were not working.... does someone have a link that works?

OB1504

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:21 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 187):
Oww okay, thanks for the update. But why has DL decided to go for a new livery? Their current livery isn't that old yet and it doesn't need to be changed in my opinion, at least not yet (even though it is too white).

They're exiting bankruptcy at the end of the month, so the new livery represents a new start for them.

Quoting Warszawa (Reply 202):
12-17 year old kids who have started Virtual Airlines for Flight Simulator have come up with better paint schemes for virtual aircraft.

Agreed. Compare the two:

Nonetheless, the new livery has started to grow on me in the twelve hours since I first saw it, having now seen it in a different light on the 737-800 and 777-200. As stated above, it'll probably look great on a freshly-painted aircraft in the warm Atlanta sun, and it does do a very good job of conveying a professional image, particularly with the new "Delta" font.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/concord977/Aircraft%20Drawings/DL737800_newcolors_07.jpg

Delta4eva

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting EXMEMWIDGET (Reply 271):
All the links to the new livery photo were not working.... does someone have a link that works?

Quoting EXMEMWIDGET (Reply 271):
Does anyone have another link for the photos? The original link states that the photos have been removed.

They all have been deleted by the person who posted them! What you see on here is all you are going to get!
FLY DELTA JETS

flydreamliner

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:31 am

United's new livery is both elegant and beautiful. it carries on previous livery themes, but is truly aesthetically pleasing. This new DL livery is, IMHO less attractive than the outgoing one. I give it points for not being aeroflotesque and for having the widget return... but I think the DL livery one back from the present one is far more attractive than this one. It's modern, but IMHO too white and plain. It isn't bad, I think it is more attractive than NW's new and very odd and boring livery, it is more attractive than AA's livery that won't die, but it lacks the regal value of CO's livery and the aesthetic beauty of UA's new livery.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

panam330

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:35 am

What the f*ck is this?! I hope like hell they decide against it after they see the public outcry! Keep the wavy gravy, Delta! This new 'livery' is absolutely hideous! I don't think it says "Delta" at all.

jetlanta

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:37 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 275):
United's new livery is both elegant and beautiful. it carries on previous livery themes, but is truly aesthetically pleasing. This new DL livery is, IMHO less attractive than the outgoing one. I give it points for not being aeroflotesque and for having the widget return... but I think the DL livery one back from the present one is far more attractive than this one. It's modern, but IMHO too white and plain. It isn't bad, I think it is more attractive than NW's new and very odd and boring livery, it is more attractive than AA's livery that won't die, but it lacks the regal value of CO's livery and the aesthetic beauty of UA's new livery.

And see, I've always thought that the new UA livery is cheesy and not befitting UA's global presence. So you see where opinion gets us.

And I think the fantasy livery in post 273 looks great for a leisure charter carrier, but it doesn't come close to representing a global, business-oriented carrier.

They were never going to please everyone.

flydl2atl

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:39 am

The good news is we'll still see the old livery for a few more years.

jetlanta

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 276):
I don't think it says "Delta" at all.

Actually, this livery has much more historical relevance than the current livery. Go back and look at Delta liveries for the past 50 years..this one is the right colors, right font, the widget is on the tail (sort of). It actually says "Delta" far more than the current livery (which I like).

floridaflyboy

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 275):

Very well said. I wish DL would put a little more thought into this. The UA paint job is incredible (if only they would hurry up and get it on more planes). DL needs something catchy.

Quoting Jetlanta (Reply 279):
It actually says "Delta" far more than the current livery (which I like).

While I agree with the historic value of it, I disagree that it says Delta more than the current livery. The new Delta must deomonstrate that while they are business-oriented, they don't have a stick up somewhere either. The livery says a lot about the "tone" of the company, and DL has a very strong liesure traveler base as well that cannot be forgotten. They need something that says Business-oriented, but liesure-friendly.
Good goes around!

CMK10

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:51 am

It looks like this plane was puchased from a merger or competitor and this is the interim scheme.
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

ThePRGuy

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting UAL757 (Reply 63):

Calm down bruv.

OK so its a crap livery.

What is wrong with you DL. Stick with what you have!

Thanks
Alex
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

A380fo

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting SJC4Me (Reply 191):

i love this scheme! dont let delta keep their proposal it is SUPER UGLY! as a dependant of a DL employee psh i would hate to be on a ugly plane like that ughh !!

KFLLCFII

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:00 am

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7294/boeing777200deltaairlinxb1.jpg

Case closed.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

WestJetYQQ

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 285):

Meh!
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

OB1504

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:04 am

Case closed.

w00t! Let's hope it's not too late for a last-minute livery change.

jetlanta

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:07 am

Case closed.

Actually, I was thinking of something like this myself. Realistically, it is the ONLY alternative to what we have seen. They are too far down the road in terms of the rebranding. Too much money has been spent. This is actually a change they could make overnight without affecting anything else. And it keeps to the spirit of what they are trying to do.

DeltaRules

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:24 am

Oh man...that paint scheme is awful. One of the worst paint schemes I've seen, IMO. And this won't be like NW's new scheme that ended up growing on me. I hope this is just a candidate & not the official design. What's with this red widget?

The one KFLLCFII posted is an improvement. If they made the widget blue & the rest of the tail red, it may look better. I like SJC4me's scheme.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

rikkus67

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:25 am

KFLLCFII.....

DAMMIT! Yes, that is DEFINITELY the answer! (Why didn't I think of it!!) Your simple suggestion brings back in full form one of the most recognized logos in aviation! It's a beautiful mockup, and I.... LOVE it (X 3) !!!! An elegant way to update AND reintroduce one of the beloved aviation logos ever devised. You hit it definitely in the bullseye. NOW...

DELTA: LOOK AND LISTEN!!!!
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

Trvlr

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:32 am

Once again, does ANYBODY know the firm responsible for the new livery?

Thanks.

WestJetYQQ

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 291):
Once again, does ANYBODY know the firm responsible for the new livery?

I want to know as well, so I can Take MY planes there!
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

N766UA

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:48 am

KFLLCFI: If the top half of that widget was blue, I'd love it. Either way, it's an imporvement on the current livery and certainly more professional. Could certainly be worse.

SpruceMoose

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:12 am

Very nice!

Keeps all the branding elements I'm sure they put a lot of thought into, and yet fixes the objectionable post-modern rotate-and-crop treatment of the iconic logo.

Nicely done, sir!

-SpruceMoose
It flew at an altitude of six feet for a distance of four and a half feet. Then we discovered rain makes it catch fire.

lincoln

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 251):
You guys hated the wavy gravy when they brought it out. So did you all hated the previous widget scheme. Now you are hating this new look with a modern touch.

For the record, I was never a fan of the pre-Flag scheme, but I've always been a fan of the Flag livery (aka Wavy Gravy) -- and those tails look downright spectacular when lit up at night.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

highflyer9790

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:27 am

I actually think it will grow on me..its not too bad, but for an airline of that prestige its awful.

ksupilot

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:30 am

KFLLCFII, that looks real nice, and is a great alternative.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 296):

For the record, I was never a fan of the pre-Flag scheme, but I've always been a fan of the Flag livery (aka Wavy Gravy) -- and those tails look downright spectacular when lit up at night.

I like the pre flag scheme, but the Wavy Gravy has grown on me, hence why I suggested this above:

The Wavy Gravy is great, it was just lacking the widget. This would be a much easier repaint! Just paint on a WAVY WIDGET!

sampa737

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:31 am

Case closed.

Now THIS I actually like. I like the widget fitting the tail. I like the red, white and blue. I think it was the angle of the widget that did me in. LOL I wonder what Delta is REALLY up to. It's amazing how many "tails" have been ruffled in here since last night. I can't remember seeing more posts on a single subject. Any way you go, DL, I'm with you.

WesternA318

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 171):
Seriously can we start a "KEEP THAT LIVERY OFF MY DELTA" campaign?

Haha, even I'd go onboard that one...

Quoting SJC4Me (Reply 191):
My turn...

THAT is the nicest rendition YET! Although I cant help but think the widget grew a ZZ Top like beard...hehe..

sspontak

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:53 am

Your widget repositioning on the tail is perfect. Send this to the DL execs! You really did it! The Delta and widget at the front could be a little bolder/bigger. Is the front widget also all red? I can't seem to make it out because it is too small.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos