Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jbrusnak
Topic Author

US SEA-PIT Seasonal Service

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:37 am

Hi all,

A couple months back several people were talking about US running seasonal service between SEA and PIT. It was something like two nonstop flights daily on A319s. I found some of the original posts, but US reservations doesn't seem to be able to provide any information on booking. Are they still planned? One would think that you could place reservations for summer seasonal flights if there were in fact available. Perhaps they have nuked them from the seasonal schedule and I missed the post?

Thanks,
Jeremy

N670UW

RE: US SEA-PIT Seasonal Service

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:22 pm

Are you checking the correct days?

PIT-SEA will only operate 3x weekly this summer. It starts June 3 and will only operate Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays. The seasonal PIT-SAN, likewise, will only operate 3 times per week.

jbrusnak
Topic Author

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks! That is probably the problem...I am not sure why their operators on the phone couldn't find it when I asked about it, but I am able to pull it up online now without a problem!

Jeremy

USAIRWAYS321

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:13 pm

I wonder a little why this isn't a daily flight. SEA-PIT was very often booked solid back when it was a permanent route. CLT and PHL always have been also. I suppose the remaining destinations from PIT don't provide enough connecting traffic. With the loads to SEA though, it's surprising that US doesn't run a few more flights to the east coast.

[Edited 2007-04-07 11:13:28]

dutchjet

Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 3):
I wonder a little why this isn't a daily flight.

Agreed - running flights like PIT-SEA and PIT-SAN on a three day per week schedule is simply odd......markets like this require daily service and I am not sure what US is thinking here. Is the issue lack of aircraft? Or is the issue US's half-hearted commitment to the PIT market?

I could more easily understand if US flew the flights on a weekend only schedule....geared to leisure travellers and the cruise ship industry ex SEA.

RJNUT

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:42 pm

It must be lined up with some cruise lines docking schedule.. I am trying to book my parents from MCI-SEA for end of May for a cruise and most discounts are gone..My mother wanted to use NW FF points and I just laughed..She needed to know that approx. 324 days ago..Frontier looks the best fare,but i told her to pay the extra to fly NW or DL so she could keep acquiring miles (that she can never use!)

BTW..MCI-SEA on YX has been nearly full since inception

dutchjet

Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Rjnut (Reply 5):
It must be lined up with some cruise lines docking schedule

Most cruises ex SEA run on Sa-Sa or Su-Su schedules....thus, I dont think that is the thinking behind US's strange 3X per week schedule on the PIT-SEA and PIT-SAN flights.

Quoting Rjnut (Reply 5):
Frontier looks the best fare,but i told her to pay the extra to fly NW or DL so she could keep acquiring miles (that she can never use!)

And this is logic that I totally dont understand; FF programs offer less and less opportunities to leisure travelers......and you realize this. Why pay extra to collect miles that are so difficult to use? Frontier probably offers the best product in the market (at the moment) at the lowest fare, so why look further?

luketenley

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 4):
Agreed - running flights like PIT-SEA and PIT-SAN on a three day per week schedule is simply odd......markets like this require daily service and I am not sure what US is thinking here. Is the issue lack of aircraft? Or is the issue US's half-hearted commitment to the PIT market?

Either lack of aircraft or they are just easing these flights back into PIT not knowing how well they will do at first.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

PITSpeedbird

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 1):
It starts June 3 and will only operate Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.

That scheduling seems silly to me. It should be a daily flight. Tu, Th, Su flights are not very conducive to a
weekend trip out to SEA!!

Well - I guess some West Coast nonstops is better than no West Coast nonstops!

- PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

steeler83

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 7):
Either lack of aircraft or they are just easing these flights back into PIT not knowing how well they will do at first.

I am thinking it's lack of aircraft... Don't they have A319s or A320s on order? I know they're also considering either going with A321s or 739s for transcon flights...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

tooluther

Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:55 am

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 8):

That scheduling seems silly to me. It should be a daily flight. Tu, Th, Su flights are not very conducive to a
weekend trip out to SEA!!

Actualy, since the Sunday flight back to PIT is a redeye, it works out great for my trip this summer.

Flighty

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:51 am

US never used to do these day-of-week things. Clearly the phone operators are not even trained to look for them. It is borderline unheard-of. The theory goes that you crowd 7 flights worth of people onto 3 flights. However, that is bogus. Your 3 flights get hurt due to the fact people can't get back home nonstop. 3 flights might fail whereas 5-7 might succeed.

SANFan

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 9):
I am thinking it's lack of aircraft...

I think you're probably right, Steeler', since the 2 flights (to SEA and SAN) are on alternate days and at approximately the same times r/t; it appears they are using the same plane to cover both markets.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 4):
Agreed - running flights like PIT-SEA and PIT-SAN on a three day per week schedule is simply odd......markets like this require daily service

I agree with you as well, 'jet: in the case of SAN at least, even seasonal (Summer only) makes little sense, non-daily during the peak travel season makes even less!

I also think this may have been a recent change in the schedule since I have notes indicating that this was originally showing as daily service. I just checked the San Diego "PocketFly" Desktop flight schedule (data provided by OAG), current version effective April 1, and even it shows DAILY service.

Does anyone have any info on whether this might be a last-minute change to the schedule? N670UW, I searched and found the Feb 20 thread where this was discussed before and you noted the schedules for both SAN and SEA and nothing was mentioned about flight frequency; do you happen to remember what was indicated at that time? This service was first seen by Flyusairways (the 2/20 thread-starter) as noted:

Quote:
Just a heads-up that the US Airways online timetable is now showing PIT-SEA nonstop starting in early June and ending in early November. Flight 1115 will operate the outbound segment from PIT, departing at 5:55pm EST and arriving at 8:06pm PST. Flight 1120 will operate the return segment to PIT leaving at 11:30pm PST and arriving at 6:50am EST (next day). Both flights will be operated by A319s.

I checked and there was nothing in the 2/01/07 PDF Schedule about the new flights at all.

Whether it has changed since originally announced or not, I would repeat that a/c shortage seems the only explanation but I didn't think US was THAT tight on them... I don't think it has anything to do with cruises either.

bb

Flaps

Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:24 pm

Yes, of course...There are just Sooooo Mnay cruise ships departing from PIT and SEA these days that this must be the reason.

steeler83

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Flaps (Reply 13):
Yes, of course...There are just Sooooo Mnay cruise ships departing from PIT and SEA these days that this must be the reason.

laughing 

Yeah, there are so many... I am having a hard time naming them all!!!  Wink
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

ContinentalEWR

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:55 pm

I flew PIT-SEA and back several times in 1993-4. There were four daily flights, three 757-200's and one 737-400. The flights were always full.

luketenley

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:56 pm

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 15):
I flew PIT-SEA and back several times in 1993-4. There were four daily flights, three 757-200's and one 737-400. The flights were always full.

This was also back when US had a full hub here.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos