kaitak
Topic Author

All Aboard: Irish 17/04 Is Ready To Rock & Roll!

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 pm

Good morning, folks and welcome to another bracing breeze of Irish aviation!

It's hard to believe that we're barely into April and we're already on our 17th thread; anyone who doubts we Irish can talk, well ...

Anyway, here we go! Sit down, face forward and no kicking the back of your sister's seat!

Things are shaping up for a good Summer at DUB; we have Etihad, we have the new US routes (albeit from October) and we have a new apron under construction at DUB, plus things should be looking up at SNN, now they have their cost cutting plan under way.

Next big thing on the horizon is EI's big order and now that we're in the second quarter, it can't be too far away. And then there's the second EI base in Europe, which I'm sure they're actively working on, along with their first Asian route - which now looks set to be BKK.

Over to you, folks!

MANisnumber1

RE: All Aboard: Irish 17/04 Is Ready To Rock & Roll!

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:44 pm

can an A330 make it from DUB to BKK??
U2 MAN-ALC-MAN, BA MAN-LHR-SFO, BA SEA-LHR-MAN...Summer 2010!

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 pm

OK, OK, I know now - it should of course have been 17/07, but we're in April and one of my best friends has her birthday on the 17th ...

Anyway, folks, keep an eye on photos from Toulouse (or from "French Frogs Airslides") - we should see the new A330s (and indeed, the A320s) pretty soon.

Incidentally, anyone know the latest FR 738 reg; a friend of mine flew on 'DPO a week or so ago; has 'DPP come in yet?

Re your question, an A330-200 shouldn't have any problem getting from DUB to BKK; it's the getting home part (with a profitable load) that's the concern.

[Edited 2007-04-08 12:49:01]

aerarann

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Just read in the sunday tribune, That EI are reluctant to give up any of its check-in desks on the Departures level, even when it is occupieing Area 14, EI have also stated that there is no time frame to EI occupieing Area 14, and it may leave Area 14 come winter if it doesnt require the space.

OA260

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:59 pm

Beannachtaí na Cásca / Happy Easter everyone , dont get too sick on all those Easter eggs!!!

I was looking at the Greek news this morning and see this article!!!

http://www.ert.gr/en/eidiseis/index_news.asp?id=24459

Holy Light Arriving

A special Olympic Airways Tel-Aviv- Athens flight, chartered by the Foreign Ministry will bring the Holy Light, from the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem to Athens today
The plane left for Tel-Aviv at 07:00 on Saturday morning and will return to Athens at 18:25 on the same day where it will be received with state leaders honours.

Next, the Holy Light will be sent to all Metropolis and the Alexandria Metropolis on board 16 Olympic Airways regular flights which have been re-scheduled and passengers have been already informed. A military aircraft will transfer the Light to Larissa and a helicopter to the islands of Syros, Kea, Patmos, Leros, and Leipsi.
Olympic Airways administration board apologizes and calls for passengers’ understanding for possible delays in departures.

-------------------------------------------------

Im just wondering if Aer Lingus ever did a similar flight to Rome or Israel???? I know it wouldnt happen in Ireland these days which is a shame but I guess times have changed. Im very proud that Greece still maintains some things. When the John Paul II died I remember watching a documentary showing him comming into Ireland on a EI B747 years back!! What an amazing sight to see.

Anyway have a good day everyone Im just off to put on the Lamb!!!

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Wasn't it rumoured the BKK route would start with a stop in DXB first. If an A332 can make it on the way there but not on the way back would it be wise for them to make the stop in DXB on the return flight to DUB?
If Aer Lingus is serious about more Asian routes I can see the A340 included in an interim order along with more A330s but they will only be willing to add the A340 into their fleet if they are really serious about Asia, which I think they are. Runway issues still exist though!

PenPusher

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 2):
ncidentally, anyone know the latest FR 738 reg; a friend of mine flew on 'DPO a week or so ago; has 'DPP come in yet?

Hi Lads

Yes, and they are up to DPT now ('#134) with DPV due soon.

Rgds
PenPusher

planemanofnz

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:04 pm

Hi,

Re BKK, I was wondering, wouldn't TG flying to DUB be more likely than EI flying to BKK? I mean, TG has the option of using A340/A330/777's on the route, and all of these could do DUB fine, couldn't they?

Also, I'm wondering whether there would be a market between Ireland and India (BOM?)

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
I remember watching a documentary showing him comming into Ireland on a EI B747 years back!! What an amazing sight to see.

Here's a photo!

OA260

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 8):
Here's a photo!

Shamrock350 , you must have a stash of every EI photo around LOL....youve excelled yourself again !!! I kicked myself that I never got on an EI B747. I was living in UK then but they used to used them LHR to DUB at Christmas they used to fly over my house. I wish I had done a trip over.

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 7):
Also, I'm wondering whether there would be a market between Ireland and India (BOM?)

We dont have that much of an Indian population to sustain a BOM route. In my area at least there are more Pakistanis and they look for rock bottom fares and I mean ROCK bottom . Usually they go QR via LHR but sometimes that presents visa problems. Otherwise TK via IST is dead cheap and they sleep in the terminal in IST overnight and its around Eur365 return.

Even BMI gave up their LHR-BOM route and theres thousands of Indians around that area, Shamrock350 will know that. Hounslow,Southall,Bedfont etc.... I know BMI's A/C had cracks in it and had to go into repair but BMI got the excuse they needed to stop it.

rineanna

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:19 pm

It's a good question. There is a size-able Indian population here, not even near the numbers of the UK obviously. I'm not sure, however, if the numbers would support a direct flight though. If there was to be a flight linking India and here, I would surmise maybe a twice-weekly 767 service (presuming the 767 has the capability to perform the flight)? Again, I'm not sure if there's a strong enough travelling market between the two countries to support a direst flight rather than a connection via LHR or the likes.

RAFVC10

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Hi all,

far as I know, Aer Lingus will add an Airbus A330-300 this May from the extinct Air Madrid. This aircraft will be used to increase long haul destinations (San Francisco in October 2007) and is planned to add IAD and MCO in a near future (pending of the approval of Open Skies).

Spain will be one of the most important countries in number of Aer Lingus flights:

Alicante, Barcelona, Bilbao, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Madrid, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Santiago de Compostela, Seville and Tenerife South.

Hope to see the Irish aircrafts in more Spanish airports...
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

EISHN

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:25 pm

Well I was thinking that maybe EI could ferry Indian pax from BOM/DEL to DUB then put them on flights to the U.S.

Saw this in the Irish Times yesterday and thought it was very interesting!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t172/eishn/04-08-2007121757.jpg

Whats strange is that the picture and the caption at the top contradict what they say at the bottom, regarding seats.

Another interesting fact is that they have their own large dot! Only theirs has a shamrock in it.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

EISHN

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 11):
far as I know, Aer Lingus will add an Airbus A330-300 this May from the extinct Air Madrid

Thats really interesting. Even though EI-SHN is supposed to be going to Brussels maybe she could find her way home!

RAFVC10, do you know the registration of the a/c that may be going to EI?
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
I kicked myself that I never got on an EI B747. I was living in UK then but they used to used them LHR to DUB at Christmas they used to fly over my house. I wish I had done a trip over.

I went on one when I was a baby, can't remember a thing but it was Christmas and LHR-DUB like you said. It would have been 1991 or 92 I think.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Even BMI gave up their LHR-BOM route and theres thousands of Indians around that area, Shamrock350 will know that. Hounslow,Southall,Bedfont

I know quite a few of my friends fly EK to DXB and then onto India! I have always asked them about Air India and they all say the same thing "no way not worth it! Flying Emirates is better they are the best!" It always makes me laugh I'm waiting for one them to tell me about their flight with QR this week.

EISHN

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 14):
I went on one when I was a baby, can't remember a thing but it was Christmas and LHR-DUB like you said. It would have been 1991 or 92 I think.

DUB-SNN-JFK in 1991 on my way to Seattle (JFK-SEA with UA) for a year or more with Boeing, and then back again. Don't remember it at all, but at least I can say I flew on one!

[Edited 2007-04-08 13:39:27]

BrianDromey

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):

Things are shaping up for a good Summer at DUB; we have Etihad, we have the new US routes (albeit from October) and we have a new apron under construction at DUB, plus things should be looking up at SNN, now they have their cost cutting plan under way.

I think I must be the only guy from ORK around here!  Wink There seem to be some agrement on airport debt, it looks like the CAA will get the land the DAA wanted to sell, and will see debt "substantially reduced", reports the Irish Examoner this week. Now that the debt is sorted the CAA need to start banging on the doors of BD (LHR, GLA, more BHX and MAN). LH, LX, SK, etc. Not to mention CO and DL. Interestingly EI ahve been meeting with the CAA, one can only hope this is about launching additional routes and not discontinuing them!

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 3):
That EI are reluctant to give up any of its check-in desks on the Departures level, even when it is occupieing Area 14, EI have also stated that there is no time frame to EI occupieing Area 14, and it may leave Area 14 come winter if it doesnt require the space.

AFAIK EI ahve already given up quite a few desks at DUB, as OLCI and fastpass are rolled out and becoming more popular this was bound to hapen, I suppose. FR now seem to be using the old EI desks. Just sheets of A4 paper covering up the EI signage!

Brian

EI787

RE: All Aboard: Irish 17/04 Is Ready To Rock & Rol

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:17 pm

Hi everyone. Just got back from Beijing late last night. Flew CA PEK-LHR and EI LHR-DUB. A bit of excitement on the EI flight: We were on our final approach into DUB when suddenly the engines roared up and we rocketed back into the Dublin skies! The aircraft in front of us was too slow so the pilot executed a go-around for safety. My first ever go-around...quite a thrill to end our school trip!!

As well as that, it was strange not hearing the OneWorld announcements. Instead, they just labelled the flight as an Aer Lingus flight codeshared with British Airways.

[Edited 2007-04-08 14:27:15]

aerarann

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:27 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 16):
FR now seem to be using the old EI desks. Just sheets of A4 paper covering up the EI signage!

Have FR increased there check in desk quantity, or just moved down a row. Previously they had area 7 & 8 exclusively, Area 3 - 6 was aer lingus previously AFAIK

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:45 pm

Brian, do you know anything about the extensions to ORK and the new terminal, I have seen images of a pier extending out to the cargo area. I suppose the hanger would have to be moved but is this only if there is more demand and a need for an extension?

Quoting EI787 (Reply 17):
Hi everyone. Just got back from Beijing late last night. Flew CA PEK-LHR and EI LHR-DUB. A bit of excitement on the EI flight: We were on our final approach into DUB when suddenly the engines roared up and we rocketed back into the Dublin skies! The aircraft in front of us was too slow so the pilot executed a go-around for safety. My first ever go-around...quite a thrill to end our school trip!!

Welcome back! I have had a few go arounds at LHR never at DUB they can be quite scary in bad weather. The worst was in an EI A321, we were on approach and I could tell we were quite high as we went over the BA maintenance hangers, suddenly we roared back into the sky and made a sharp turn left, we climbed back though the storm, it was very bumpy.

How was the CA flight?

[Edited 2007-04-08 14:47:09]

EI787

Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 19):
How was the CA flight?

Ah it was so so. On the way over to Beijing it wasn't very nice - my headphones weren't working very well but the movies on the main screen were crap anyway! The food wasn't all that good either. We were delayed by about 3 hours in the end and just got out of LHR before the night time curfew.

On the return flight I asked after takeoff if I could sit in a row which was empty - it was a crew rest row but they weren't using it. They let me sit there for the flight and it was great - buckets of legroom!! Again though, the food and IFE really wasn't up to scratch. The pilot also left the seatbelt sign on for the WHOLE 10 and a half hours!!! How in God's name did he expect us to stay seated for 10 hours!!?? Needless to say, people didn't pay a blind bit of notice to it! And what annoyed me more was that there was no turbulence to warrant the sign staying illuminated!

Good holiday though!!!

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting PenPusher (Reply 6):
Yes, and they are up to DPT now ('#134) with DPV due soon.

Thanks, Pen Pusher; they certainly don't hang about; registrations have already been booked for the next series, which will be the EI-DWx series ...

Quoting OA260 (Reply 9):
Even BMI gave up their LHR-BOM route and theres thousands of Indians around that area

I think that was due to one of the BMI A330s going tech for quite a while; they had to give up one of their routes, which unfortunately happened to be LHR-BOM. Depending on what happens between themselves and VS, I see them going back onto that route, but US expansion will probably take precedence.

I don't see a direct route from DUB to India happening for some time, if ever; there are plenty of indirect alternatives, with GF and EY latest on the market, adding to EI/EK via DXB and various connections via European airlines.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a Chinese airline flying in here at some stage; perhaps MU from PVG to DUB with A330s; a freight route would certainly work (if the DAA can decide where freight aircraft will be parked).

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:12 pm

Shame to hear about CA! That's a bit unhealthy for passengers having to sit there for 10 hours especially with the threat of DVT. Was your aircraft the usual 747? If it was the A340 which sometimes operates into LHR it's similar to EI economy, with the drop down screens and lack of PTVs. Their A330s are much nicer but dont fly to LHR at all which is annoying but unavoidable.
At least you had a good time there!

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:32 pm

Don't forget that LH and CA co-operate on the FRA-PEK route - and there are moves to increase traffic significantly between the two countries (particularly with the Olympics coming up next year); DUB-FRA-PEK might be interesting as an alternative to flying through LHR. And Lufty is (finally!) fitting its long haul fleet with PTVs from next year; I guess the 380s will come with them already fitted.

Of course, there is quite a significant Chinese population in Ireland now, which would probably add to the case for a direct route from here. I understand Chinese nationals now have the freedom to travel to all or most EU countries and really, if we're interested in getting into that market, we should ensure that Ireland is visible; the lack of a direct route undermines that.

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 23):
And Lufty is (finally!) fitting its long haul fleet with PTVs from next year; I guess the 380s will come with them already fitted.

About time the A346s looked odd with blank spaces in the back of the seats! Now if only an Irish airline we all know and love would do the same  pray 

Danny

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:42 pm

far as I know, Aer Lingus will add an Airbus A330-300 this May from the extinct Air Madrid

That is not correct. MSN054 is already spoken for and not by EI.

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:54 pm

far as I know, Aer Lingus will add an Airbus A330-300 this May from the extinct Air Madrid.

I wish it were true but both A333s are listed as going to SN Brussels. Two A330-200s are going to Air Comet and the final one to Novair.
However it does add to what DM was talking about when he said EI had A330s ready for 2008. He said it as if Airbus was desperate to sell them and if Aer Lingus wanted them, they could have them quite easily which is not the case. A330s are selling very fast and unless DM has done a deal with someone he will find it hard to get A330s for 2008.
The language he has been using points towards a deal with Airbus or a leasing company.

EISHN

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 25):

I know 054 is do to go to Brussels Airlines. But I believe that Air Madrid had something like four A333s, and a few A332s. They are being split up and being sent to new operators, but maybe one is still waiting, or perhaps EI agreed sometime ago to acquire one, but never announced it in case OS didn't go through and they would end up having an A330 that they didn't need. I believe a number of Air Madrids A330s were leased so maybe they are owned by ILFC, or AerCap (who own 054) and maybe EI will receive another A330.
As for 054 coming back to EI, that was just wishful thinking on my behalf.

rineanna

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:02 pm

Are any of the 741s still in operation, or at least not scrapped yet? I'd love to see an EI museum opened at some far flung corner of DUB with some of their first aircraft on static display, like the 747-100s (which I think play an important role in the history of EI, such as the transportation of the Pope) and the De Havilland 84 Dragons.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:06 pm

Thank goodness for that; God only knows what state that aircraft was in after its career with Air Madrid; indeed, it was u/s at BCN for at least two or three months before NM went belly up.

In any case, they probably won't need any extra capacity for the Winter; the new routes are to take effect when the current schedule ends.

The current Winter schedule calls for a total of 45 weekly flights, which should be okay with a fleet of seven aircraft; however, if they intend adding BKK this winter, they would probably want to be adding an eighth aircraft.

Interestingly, although EI is operating n/s to three new cities this Winter, all BOS flights are still to be operated through SNN.

Finally, correcting a comment I made earlier, the DXB schedule is NOT being changed for the Winter, which is a relief:

DXB&month=01&getTimetable=Get+Timetable" target=_blank>http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obe...onth=01&getTimetable=Get+Timetable

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 28):
Are any of the 741s still in operation, or at least not scrapped yet? I'd love to see an EI museum opened at some far flung corner of DUB with some of their first aircraft on static display, like the 747-100s (which I think play an important role in the history of EI, such as the transportation of the Pope) and the De Havilland 84 Dragons.

That would be a great idea, I'm not sure about any 747s but Iolar, well a replica is still around somewhere isn't it? What is in the old terminal at DUB, I know the ground floor is used but the upper levels of the terminal are closed off could it be used as a museum?

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 26):
I wish it were true but both A333s are listed as going to SN Brussels. Two A330-200s are going to Air Comet and the final one to Novair.
However it does add to what DM was talking about when he said EI had A330s ready for 2008. He said it as if Airbus was desperate to sell them and if Aer Lingus wanted them, they could have them quite easily which is not the case. A330s are selling very fast and unless DM has done a deal with someone he will find it hard to get A330s for 2008.
The language he has been using points towards a deal with Airbus or a leasing company.

I think there are also two A340s, but I can't see EI being interested in those. I doubt Airbus is finding it hard to shift A330s at the moment; indeed, it is talking about increasing production to 9 per month. I think the reason we're not hearing about these is because the airline is current talking about its interim leasing plan, pending the introduction of its "long term long hauler". There are a lot of different permutations to be worked out there, because even though EI may want fourteen aircraft, not all need to be acquired directly and even those leased can be leased from different leasing agencies and some of those leasing agencies, such as ILFC, will be able to provide interim aircraft as part of the overall deal, so I would imagine that what's going on now is that EI is basically working through all of the proposals and permutations, taking into account possible delivery dates. I would imagine that Airbus's offer of two A330s for next year is conditional on a larger deal for A350s (although I don't know that for certain) and if that doesn't happen, it may just release them to other carriers.
I can imagine quite a few carriers, not least among them bmi, wanting A330s asap.

Ultimately, you may end up with a very complex agreement, whereby EI gets (say) 6 787-9s directly from Boeing, six from ILFC and two from another agency, say AFALCO or CIT, with ILFC providing A330s in the interim and also agreeing to take back some of the current A330s. This is going to be one of the biggest financial commitments ever undertaken by EI, so you can expect it to take a while!

Are any of the 741s still in operation, or at least not scrapped yet?

I know EI-BED has been scrapped; I believe the other two went to Kabo Air of Nigeria and goodness only knows what state they are in now, if (which I think is unlikely) they are still flying.

ac747

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:33 pm

I feel kind of lucky in that I flew in the 3 EI 747's over the years. Always JFK-SNN-DUB and back. Back in those days you never really thought anything of it really. EI is Ireland's national flag carrier and it just seemed natural that they would fly the 74'. Looking back on it and using the same rationale, then I could say that the should be flying the A380......(!), amazing how perspective changes as you get older.
On the subject of Pope JPII flying into DUB in '79. I remember it well, but for some reason was more excited by the KLM Helicopters S-61's flying over my house. Now they were nice.

BTW, my name : 'AC' because I am from Vancouver originally and '747' because it has always been my favourite aircraft......all varients.
Haven't we been here before ?

EI321

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 5):
If Aer Lingus is serious about more Asian routes I can see the A340 included in an interim order

there could be runway issues

TG has the option of using A340/A330/777's on the route, and all of these could do DUB fine, couldn't they?

there coulod be runway issues with the A340/777

Its growing, but not big at the moment

where did you hear?

Are any of the 741s still in operation, or at least not scrapped yet?

all scrapped, some pics in the database

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 30):
What is in the old terminal at DUB, I know the ground floor is used but the upper levels of the terminal are closed off could it be used as a museum?

its offices i believe

shamrock350

Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:43 pm

With 9 A330s as of this summer and more to come once the interim deal is done surely EI will be able to let go some of the older A330s unless they have a few more routes planned for the near future!

Quoting EI321 (Reply 33):
Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 30):
What is in the old terminal at DUB, I know the ground floor is used but the upper levels of the terminal are closed off could it be used as a museum?

its offices i believe

That's disappointing, such an historic building used as offices!

If Aer Lingus is serious about more Asian routes I can see the A340 included in an interim order

Thought so, the A340 would be good for EI on Asia routes but A330s and a longer runway will always have the upper hand in any order.

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 16):
I think I must be the only guy from ORK around here!

LOL yeah well we have to have a token Cork guy .... well it is up to you to tell us all the news from Cork your our Cork corespondant. Are there any new airlines operating charters this year from ORK do you know???

Quoting EI787 (Reply 17):
My first ever go-around...quite a thrill to end our school trip!!

Hi EI787 , welcome back !!! Sorry to hear you didnt rate CA much, I guess at least its another carrier under your belt!! At least the return was slightly better and you enjoyed China 2nd time around. You still doing a TR????

My first and only go around was with LH 2 years ago comming into DXB , there was still a aircraft that hadnt cleared the runway but for the first few mins that the engines roar and you are going up instead of down it makes the blood flow LOL.....

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 23):
And Lufty is (finally!) fitting its long haul fleet with PTVs from next year; I guess the 380s will come with them already fitted.

Its about time , I dont fly like LH for longhaul purely for that reason.

[Edited 2007-04-08 17:18:01]

EI787

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 36):
You still doing a TR????

Hopefully...I'm a bit jet-lagged at the moment so perhaps in a few days time!

My school principal didn't like the CA flights either...I think we may have been spoiled with AF last year to PEK!!

Eirules

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:30 am

I cant see EI launching any more new LH routes this year (unless perhaps CPT but I doubt it). It will be a massive undertaking for them launching IAD, MCO and SFO and must be completely focused on these routes to make sure they work from the start (unlike DXB). This means marketing, service, reliability, everything.

As for new LH carriers from DUB I would love to see SQ, TG, UA, NW, EK and even CX flying into DUB but as things stand I just cannot see any of those easbound carriers coming to DUB as things stand with runway issues, problems with capacity at DUB and a general lethargy about driving Asian routes from DUB.

PS I dont see much need to explain my name, think its pretty obvious, pretty boring in fact now that I think about it
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

GLAGAZ

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:31 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
And then there's the second EI base in Europe, which I'm sure they're actively working on

Forgive me for not keeping up-to-date with your 200 posts per day threads Big grin....But what is the first base outside Eire?

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 38):
Forgive me for not keeping up-to-date with your 200 posts per day threads ....But what is the first base outside Eire?

Well as Kaitak said we Irish talk a lot! The new base is due to be announced soon, probably in the UK somewhere.

rineanna

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:39 am

....But what is the first base outside Eire?

Gaz

It hasn't been announced as of yet. A few names that have been thrown up have been BHX, Warsaw, Krakow and you never know, it may even be GLA!

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:40 am

Forgive me for not keeping up-to-date with your 200 posts per day threads

We are a forgiving lot so ok your forgiven!!!

But what is the first base outside Eire?

The base to be outside of ''THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND'' has not been chosen yet !!! If you hear then let us know

[Edited 2007-04-08 17:41:46]

GLAGAZ

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:46 am

Ok ok...It was just the wording of Kaitak's post which threw me. By saying "second EI base in Europe" I assumed a first had already been announced.

Fingers crossed for GLA :p

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

COEI2007

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:02 am

TG has the option of using A340/A330/777's on the route, and all of these could do DUB fine, couldn't they?

there coulod be runway issues with the A340/777

GF operates A340's the odd time into DUB, so if EI could get some quickly, they could be used as a stop-gap measure, if even if they may be restricted?

RAFVC10

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:19 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 26):

Quoting EISHN (Reply 27):
I know 054 is do to go to Brussels Airlines. But I believe that Air Madrid had something like four A333s, and a few A332s. They are being split up and being sent to new operators, but maybe one is still waiting, or perhaps EI agreed sometime ago to acquire one, but never announced it in case OS didn't go through and they would end up having an A330 that they didn't need. I believe a number of Air Madrids A330s were leased so maybe they are owned by ILFC, or AerCap (who own 054) and maybe EI will receive another A330.
As for 054 coming back to EI, that was just wishful thinking on my behalf.

Hi all,

let's see...

MSN054 is stored actually at Lake Charles and is awaiting new painting of it's owner (AWAS) and will be destined to Aer Lingus.

MSN082, another ex-Air Madrid is stored at Brussels and is changing it's internal configuration to be similar than the other 333's of Brussels Airlines.

According with Airbus and AWAS staff, the new registration of this aircraft could be EI-SFO.

This information is took from Airbus Intranet.
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

n272wa

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:46 am

Hi All,

Well I am back after a short absence and just heard some news today I wanted to pass onto you guys.

Was speaking with my friend on the phone earlier (he is EI crew, just before he worked the 646 to PRG). Anyway, he told me that EI are going to announce 2 FURTHER L/H routes, one of which is going to be Cape Town and the other he didn't remember, but when I asked if it was Bangkok, he said NO!!....... I said was it in the US and he said no, that he never heard of this place before.... (Could be a Caribbean route, as was mentioned before....). I did try to press him, but he simply can't remember or pronounce the 2nd destination.

So, no idea what is going on with EI...

As RAFVC10 said above, it looks like another 333 is on the way so may be able to opeare these 'two addiational routes

If I hear anymore, I will post!!

Good to be back, loved trawling through all the posts and hoping I can contribute to these on a more regular basis.
Best wishes,

N272WA

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:55 am

Welcome back N272WA! All these rumours are great, not surprised about CPT being talked about and possibly announced and hopefully we wont have to wait long to find out what the unknown route is.
Wow thanks for that RAFVC10! Very interesting to see it return to Aer Lingus and possibly with the reg EI-SFO I thought they had stopped the special registrations with the new A330s EI-DUO and EI-DUZ.
So Aer Lingus will have ten A330s this year, do you know when the third (EI-SFO) due to arrive I expect it's soon.

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 43):
GF operates A340's the odd time into DUB, so if EI could get some quickly, they could be used as a stop-gap measure, if even if they may be restricted?

I would be fine if they couldn't get A330s as the A340 would be able to fly JFK, BOS and possibly ORD and it would release current A330s for new routes such as CPT but the runway would still hold EI back if it wanted to fly East with the A340, it would need a lot more runway than what's needed for JFK.

[Edited 2007-04-08 20:00:28]

pilot21

Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:59 am

EI-SHN comes back to EI?

Who would have thought we'd come full circle:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Omar Zekria

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jens Flunkert

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui

View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Jeandy

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos A. Morillo Doria

to maybe this again?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Richard Chase

& for those who were asking about EI's old B747's, 1 is still intact as of last yr: (ex-EI-ASJ)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Radek Oneksiak

Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

ac747

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:03 am

With TP pulling out of Ireland again and HLX gone, along with KM (tragic) and AZ, I am starting to wonder if this is to become a trend in DUB.
TP seem to have left because they didn't put enough effort into advertising the route, HLX I don't know about and KM must be because of FR's arrival.
Could this be the way of the future ?
I believe the likes of LH, IB, OK and SK will stay and continue to grow at DUB, but what about the rest ?
Will LO be around in 5 years time, or will the be beaten back by EI and FR ?
We have no carriers flying here from the Netherlands (HV are gone) or Belgium (SN never bothered).
OS operate a half hearted service and JP Summer only. You have to think that if FR decided to fly to VIE or Ljubljana then that would be the end of those two carriers as well. The have already bumped EI off SZG.
What's stopping FR flying 5 times Daily to WAW (for example) at €1 each way and blowing LO off the map ? They did it with GO, all those years ago on the GLA and EDI run. GO didn't hang about long.They have also done it with U2 out of ORK and SNN.
What's stopping them upping the frequency on any route of their choosing and dominating ?

Could it be that the foreign carriers role in DUB could be diminished to such a extent that EI and FR 'take over' ?
A bit like DL at ATL.......they run the show there.

On the other hand, L/H seems to be where all the exciting news is coming from these days.
Maybe DUB is at the start of a major new chapter in it's story. A longhaul story.
I
Haven't we been here before ?

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:17 am

I agree with you AC747. Aer Lingus and Ryanair dominate Dublin and Ireland with Ryanair covering SNN and Aer Lingus down at ORK.
The lack of foreign airlines in Ireland is mainly down to there not being room for them, there isn't enough room for Aer Lingus and Ryanair on the same routes so a foreign airline is bound to suffer. I fear that many airline will become scared of stepping into Ireland not because there isn't a market but because either Aer Lingus or worse, Ryanair may also start the route with the main aim of getting rid of them. It's happened before like you said with FR taking on GO and U2 just so they would get out of Ireland.

Aer Lingus is the biggest airline on long-haul routes and they are growing but theres lots of room for other airlines to compete with unlike with FR and EI where they have their own war of routes making fares lower and kicking off the competition.
The future of DUB is looking bright on the long-haul front but on short-haul it looks like EI and FR will fight it out until theres only one left and in the process kicking off the competition for good.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos