EISHN

RE: All Aboard: Irish 17/04 Is Ready To Rock & Roll!

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:18 am

CPT is no supprise to me, infact I'm supprised they haven't even announced any more L/H routes further east after they went threw the trouble of adding the new crew rest cabin in place of seat 1A-C in Premier and the loss of the coat closet. With them down two seats you'd think they'd be wanting to putting that lost space to some use by adding more destinations. But then it does sound like they are about to launch 5 new L/H routes this year with 3 more A330s coming online. This will be the biggest expansion in the airlines history in terms of L/H.
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

ac747

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 49):
The lack of foreign airlines in Ireland is mainly down to there not being room for them

Exactly.
But you have to look at, say, the Polish market.
Up until now WAW had four airlines operating from DUB. Norwegian have since pulled out and that came as no surprise.
What about Krakow.....it amazes me how that city maintains three airlines from DUB.
I thought the Polish market might have levelled off by now, but it hasn't appeared to with FR adding more frequencies and cities.
When it does calm down though, do you thnk we will see NE or C0 still flying in here ?
Will we be at a stage where up to three airlines can afford to battle it our on one route ?
Probably not.
Haven't we been here before ?

ei2ksea

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 50):
launch 5 new L/H routes this year

Whilst its great to see this expansion, I must say that I find such a huge increase in long haul routes to be a very risky strategy indeed. I can remember back at the launch of ORD, EWR and BWI that Bernie Cahill stated EI did not have the financial clout to support more than 1 long haul route increase per year. The set up costs are substantial and initial loads are likely to be challenging. Each of these routes will need support for the first few months as they get established, it will likely be a huge cash drain for the winter months. Hopefully this EUR400m windfall from the flotation wont be blown on a poorly executed expansion startegy.
Next Flight: EWR-SEA (AS), SEA-EWR (UA), EWR-SEA-EWR (UA)

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:52 am

Poland has been doing great for both Aer Lingus and Ryanair even LO seem to be holding their own. Aer Lingus have the upper hand in ORK with their route to WAR and FR have their own routes from SNN to various Polish destinations. These routes do very well because of the large Polish population in Munster, I know quite a few have arrived in Tipperary each time I go home more have arrived. This is great new for EI and FR who just keep adding routes or increasing them but this stops any other airline stepping in.
Cork and Shannon could so with a few more airlines, I know in the last few months of 2006 ORK lost a few airlines thanks to the big presence EI has and I'm not surprised nobody has gone to SNN with FR running the place.

Back at Dublin I think LO can hols their ground but it's clear that FR want them gone and if they are forced to leave, Aer Lingus will be next on the list called "Who to get rid of now? By Michael O'Leary". Of course it's not all the big bad wolf that is FR, Aer Lingus do their fair share of getting rid of the competition. It proves that Aer Lingus and Ryanair as one company is a bad idea for Ireland and Irish air travel.

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting AC747 (Reply 48):
Will LO be around in 5 years time

I think LO are still doing well on this route and the Polish market is still growing. Its amazing how all these carriers survive but they are. I know that LO pick up LWO/SVO/IEV passengers and they have some good fares. Current oneways to WAW in W class are Eur29 each way . Last time I heard there were over 200,000 Poles in Ireland. Its now the second largest community after the Irish. They have their own shops,TV station,pubs,news media and then there AIB Polski and Polski Eircom!!! Amazing. The one thing that is bad for LOT is that most Poles are not loyal when it comes to flying them , its all about who has the cheapest fare. If FR are Eur10 cheaper they go with FR . Central Wings of course is LOT's sister company and they carry alot on those routes. I notice that some of the flights which have been operated by E170 have been upgraded to 737's on certain peak days.

OS operate a half hearted service

Sorry to announce but it looks as if OS are out also !!! No flights have been loaded for this summer DUB-VIE which is a shame. There may be the odd chater to SZG but as for sched service its gone.

On thing that really amazes me is how LG make any money on the DUB-MAN-LUX route!! Is there a huge Luxembourg company here in Dublin or something???

[Edited 2007-04-08 21:07:48]

n272wa

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:59 am

C0 have recently started ORK-WAW in competition with EI

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 53):
Poland has been doing great for both Aer Lingus and Ryanair even LO seem to be holding their own. Aer Lingus have the upper hand in ORK with their route to WAR

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 54):
On thing that really amazes me is how LG make any money on the DUB-MAN-LUX route!! Is there a huge Luxembourg company here in Dublin or something???

Do they still operate that! I thought it was doomed from the start  Wow!

Quoting N272WA (Reply 55):
C0 have recently started ORK-WAW in competition with EI

I just noticed that while looking at corkairport.com I hope they remain on the route. I dont want Cork to boring with only Aer Lingus RE and FR there.

EI321

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 44):

MSN054 is stored actually at Lake Charles and is awaiting new painting of it's owner (AWAS) and will be destined to Aer Lingus.

MSN082, another ex-Air Madrid is stored at Brussels and is changing it's internal configuration to be similar than the other 333's of Brussels Airlines.

According with Airbus and AWAS staff, the new registration of this aircraft could be EI-SFO.

This information is took from Airbus Intranet.

Great news, thanks for sharing. I like the reg number. It would be nice if the two new build A330 s arriving sono had EI-MCO and EI-IAD

Quoting N272WA (Reply 45):
Hi All,

Well I am back after a short absence and just heard some news today I wanted to pass onto you guys.

Was speaking with my friend on the phone earlier (he is EI crew, just before he worked the 646 to PRG). Anyway, he told me that EI are going to announce 2 FURTHER L/H routes, one of which is going to be Cape Town and the other he didn't remember, but when I asked if it was Bangkok, he said NO!!....... I said was it in the US and he said no, that he never heard of this place before.... (Could be a Caribbean route, as was mentioned before....). I did try to press him, but he simply can't remember or pronounce the 2nd destination.

Sounds good. Ive always believed that CapeTown was still up there on the airlines priority list. They will need an A330-200 for the job.

[Edited 2007-04-08 21:19:28]

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 56):
Do they still operate that! I thought it was doomed from the start

Yeah they do and the weird thing is that when you look at the availability the loads look good , sometimes only 3 or 4 seats on the whole flight!!! Weird....

CPT has always been on the cards for EI and even though a few years back they couldnt implement it they never gave up on it . The idea was ''when we can start it''. CPT will be a gold mine for EI if they work it right. If they start in October they will get the peak winter traffic. Anything is better than that heap of crap that Slatterys offer.

[Edited 2007-04-08 21:20:40]

kaitak
Topic Author

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting EI2KSEA (Reply 52):
I can remember back at the launch of ORD, EWR and BWI that Bernie Cahill stated EI did not have the financial clout to support more than 1 long haul route increase per year.

Don't forget that this was back in a time when EI was hamstrung by the stopover, whereas now the earning potential of new routes is significantly greater. Added to that, with Open Skies, if you don't open new routes, you can be sure the competition will; IAD certainly would have been left vacant for long. We'll probably see NW in next Summer too (yeah, that'll scare EI!).

I know I was criticised in the past for banging on about the runway length, but I was discussing this issue on PPRUNE and it was said, by someone clearly in the know, that even for BKK-DUB, the 332 is still very much "up against it"; it could just do it nonstop, but with significant penalties and since BKK is likely to be a good cargo hub for the airline, that obviously isn't something they want to do. The A340 would be preferred, but of course, it is ruled out by runway issues; the 777 would probably be able to handle it, but you'd be talking about "full welly" out of DUB. Sure, we can wait until 2012 for the new runway, but that is five years. It's generally believed now that we could be entering into a downturn, so it seems to me that it is very important that we address actively anything which hold the potential to undermine our competitiveness; DUB Airport is one such issue.

BrianDromey

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting Aerarann (Reply 18):
Have FR increased there check in desk quantity, or just moved down a row.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 35):
Are there any new airlines operating charters this year from ORK do you know???

The only new airline for this summer is XL.com. They are doing ACE, they were also supposed to do egypt, but this was CANX. Looks like leesiders are happy with the costa dels sol and IBZ /PMI / TFS, etc! Indeed there are roumers that ORK might be down to 3x A320s for the winter. On the other hand capacity toLHR has greatly increased EI711/712/713/714 are now all A321's. With the 713/714 being additional over last year.

They did it with GO, all those years ago on the GLA and EDI run. GO didn't hang about long.They have also done it with U2 out of ORK and SNN.

Could it be that the foreign carriers role in DUB could be diminished to such a extent that EI and FR 'take over' ?
A bit like DL at ATL.......they run the show there.

U2 @ ORK has damaged the ability of ORK to attract new airlines. I would personally love to see some more network carriers at ORK. I think BMI could make LHR and GLA work, and SK could do well to CPH. Even LX or LH with their AVRO's might be abel to pull somethign off. SN used to servce BRU on a summer only basis, but pulled after one season. The possibility of FR / EI dominating teh country's air market is very real, and in many cases, a reality

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 53):

Cork and Shannon could so with a few more airlines, I know in the last few months of 2006 ORK lost a few airlines thanks to the big presence EI has and I'm not surprised nobody has gone to SNN with FR running the place.

CSA was a big loss, 6x week to PRG, U2 and BA. All have pulled out within the past year. In one sense ORK is well connected to oneworld and skyTeam, but connections to *A are, frankly, no existanat!

Brian.

rineanna

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:28 am

Well it's only an ERJ145 after all! Plus when you take into account that the route is shared with MAN, 50 seats can't be that hard to fill surely! I would take a guess that the traffic on this route is predominantly fuelled by the EU institutions located in LUX such as the court of auditors and the secretariat of the EU parliament. Then there's the arrangement LG has with BMI to feed Irish PAX into their L/H services from MAN, and top it all off there's city breaks and VFRs!

Sorry to announce but it looks as if OS are out also !!!

OS and AY always peed me off with their half-arsed attempt at making any success on their Irish operations. OS advertised in the Indo alot prior to the commencement of last years services, in fairness to them. They used to use an A321 on the route, which was suprizing given that they then dropped the route for the winter. Switching into armchair CEO mode, they should have transferred the route to Austrian arrows to operate with their F100s ALL year round with it dropping down to 3/4 weekly during the winter time. It's a pity because Vienna is really an amazing city and I feel it can be easily overlooked sometimes. As for AY, I think they should try all year around too with their E170s, seeming that they're the only carrier on the route besides FR's Tampere route.

[Edited 2007-04-08 21:31:26]

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 am

Ok if EI go for the Caribbean I would think GND and or ANU !!!! Why those do you ask???? Well lets say theres a few mates of the heads of EI that have ''Interests'' there !!!! Watch this space....

n272wa

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:33 am

If EI were to operate to the Carribean, would this be a year round service or seasonal ?

I think Jamaica could do well, there is Kingston and Montego Bay, as would Barbados and as OA260 said, Antigua.

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting N272WA (Reply 63):
I think Jamaica could do well, there is Kingston and Montego Bay

Well I guess theres Jamaica and there is a up market aspect to it . They have some nice Sandals resorts there that Id love to go to . lol. A company tried Jamaica from Dublin on a charter basis but it never took off.

Cuba/Mexico/Dominican Rep.... all tried and lost money !!!! Sunworlds attempt was a complete disaster. They had the brochure printed and had to axe Cuba before it started, Dom Rep. was sold at crazy low prices!! People got a 14 night All Inclusive for the same as a holiday in Spain. Was nice to see a Monarch A330 in Dublin though. I think the Monarch A330 is comming back to Dublin this summer to operate fort nightly charters from DUB to SFB for American Hols.

Sunworlds owners Thomas Cook in the UK thought Dom Rep. and Cuba would do well aparantly. They didnt research it enough. Mind you with a Wednesday flight what do you expect!!! They missed all the honeymooners who normally fly on a Sunday or Monday.

Shamrock330

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:52 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 62):
Ok if EI go for the Caribbean I would think GND and or ANU !!!! Why those do you ask????

Well yes, I'm asking why???? Big grin

Well lets say theres a few mates of the heads of EI that have ''Interests'' there !!!!

Hmmm I wonder who you mean?? Are his initials DO'B?? Big grin

Quoting N272WA (Reply 63):
I think Jamaica could do well, there is Kingston and Montego Bay, as would Barbados and as OA260 said, Antigua.

Honestly, I can't foresee any routes to the Caribbean. How would they be viable?( and especially year round) I know you're in the travel industry OA, so you'll have a deeper understanding of trends and popular destinations. I didn't think that area was popular with Irish holidaymakers.

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 65):
Hmmm I wonder who you mean?? Are his initials DO'B??

Patrick stop name dropping LOL..

I know you're in the travel industry OA

Who me??? I actually just round up trolleys for DAA and eves drop LOL.....

Shamrock330

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:02 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 66):
Who me??? I actually just round up trolleys for DAA and eves drop

Hey you, my friend is a trolley collector in the airport, if you heard what he gets paid, your mouth would drop open!  Big grin

I worked in the tax office last summer , working my ass off and my mate was laughing at me while he was chilling at the airport getting almost double what I got for per hour!

All I can say is God bless the unions! LOL!

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Shamrock330 (Reply 67):
Hey you, my friend is a trolley collector in the airport, if you heard what he gets paid, your mouth would drop open!

Yeah I know !!! You should see what a manager in McDonalds makes....Im thinking of a career change. Anyone for a Big Mac ....LOL

working my ass off

Sounds painful
 Wow!

EI321

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:15 am

What aircraft/airline flew that Barbados route a few yrs back?

rineanna

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:17 am

Honestly, I can't foresee any routes to the Caribbean. How would they be viable?( and especially year round) I know you're in the travel industry OA, so you'll have a deeper understanding of trends and popular destinations. I didn't think that area was popular with Irish holidaymakers.

My sentiments exactly. Would love to see the frequencies they have in mind.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 68):
Anyone for a Big Mac ....LOL

Can I have fries with that?

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:37 am

The 777 would be great for EI we all know that but it also has some things against it, big aircraft being thrown into a strong and profitable all airbus family of A330s this would increase costs and I really dont think any route to Asia would make up for those costs which is a shame and all we can hope is that if EI want to fly to BKK non-stop that DUB lengthen that runway if they dont, a stop at DXB will have to do but would it be worth it?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 68):
Anyone for a Big Mac ....LOL

No thanks I prefer KFC!

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 60):
CSA was a big loss, 6x week to PRG, U2 and BA. All have pulled out within the past year. In one sense ORK is well connected to oneworld and skyTeam, but connections to *A are, frankly, no existanat!

Well I think it's about time they started looking around for some airlines. Cork has potential to grow, it's disappointing to see such a great new terminal being used by the somewhat smug Aer Lingus, Aer Arann and Ryanair. I dont think Bmi could take on EI on LHR routes but there are quite a few they could start plus they need long-haul airlines. Cork needs to take advantage of OS 757s from CO or US would be very welcome Big grin

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 69):
What aircraft/airline flew that Barbados route a few yrs back?

Britannia 767 with Budget Travel . That actually did quite well for them but they never continued it . They also did Thailand.
With a re fuel in AUH .

[Edited 2007-04-08 23:48:10]

bx737

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:12 am

On thing that really amazes me is how LG make any money on the DUB-MAN-LUX route!!

My cousin, who lives in Luxembourg, has told me that the fares are astronomical, so maybe the fare of one person pays for the flight. It is cheaper for her to drive to another country and fly with EI.

In forum 16/07 there were a few points raised and I will try to answer a few of them. Could the dropping of the various routes by EI be a political ploy in order to assist the EU reject the FR take over. SZG and FUE were served once a week each, BRS was at a bad time, but to drop a route due to FR I am sure will not help FRs case.

There was also mention of the F/A panel on EI A320s not being advanced. The point was made that this was for commonality. EI-DET and subsequent aircraft (EI-DVE, DVF, DVG, DVH) will all have the touch screen forward F/A panel.

A question arose as to what people's user names are. When I was a nipper I wrote to loads of airlines (mostly one's I had travelled on) asking them for posters so I could hang them on my wall. Spantax was the only airline to send back a poster. The Spantax code is BX and I flew on a 737 with them, thus my user name.

Regarding new EI routes, BKK and CPT always have featured highly in the EI rumour machine. EI staff thrive on rumours, this is helped by a management who are not as communicative as maybe they should be. New routes are not true until the aircraft is sitting at the gate wherever the gate is.

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting Bx737 (Reply 73):
There was also mention of the F/A panel on EI A320s not being advanced. The point was made that this was for commonality. EI-DET and subsequent aircraft (EI-DVE, DVF, DVG, DVH) will all have the touch screen forward F/A panel.

So I'm assuming they will have the enhanced cabin or is it just the touch screen F/A panel that's different?

bx737

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:21 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 74):
it just the touch screen F/A panel that's different?

On EI-DET it is the enhanced panel. I don't know about the 4 new ones though.

Aer Lingus

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:33 am

If this BKK route was to be done as a one-stopper via DXB, an A333 would be a nice money maker as runway issues would not be a problem (I don't think so at least), so full loads of cargo to DXB and an onward payload to BKK plus baggage and pax to both destinations would make one full Airbus.

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 76):
BKK plus baggage and pax to both destinations would make one full Airbus.

Cargo full of cheap suits for Bertie!!!!

Spantax was the only airline to send back a poster.

How mean !!!! I used to go around the airline offices in London and collect timetables and posters!!! I got loads but then it was London and all the airlines were there. I left home at 9am and got back at 6pm!!! Did the whole of central London lol....my Mum used to go mad because she thought it was junk. In those days a one day travelcard was 1 pound!!! Then I had another pound for a drink and a packet of crisps.

BrianDromey

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:09 am

Last time I heard there were over 200,000 Poles in Ireland. Its now the second largest community after the Irish. They have their own shops,TV station,pubs,news media and then there AIB Polski and Polski Eircom!!! Amazing.

I have heard that the nimber of Poles currently outnumbers te number of Kerrymen....

I worked in the tax office last summer , working my ass off and my mate was laughing at me while he was chilling at the airport getting almost double what I got for per hour!

Oh the joys of the civil service, eh? Between fun times at the public counter and office politics, the civil service is certainly a "fun" place to wor for the summer.

Thanks for that Bx737. It's always good to get some factual information. Those of us on the outside can only make guesses as to how/why an airline has fitted its cabins in a certain way. Is there an extra training for the use of this pannel?

EI to the carribbean, I just dont see it. I think there could be better places to send an aircraft.....ORK-JFK springs to mind. LOL  Smile On a serious note, however, EI cant afford to lauch LH routes on a whim, because if there is a downturn the more obsucre routes will be much harder to fill. As it stands, Im having a hard time seeing the CPT potential. What exactly is there? I assume this would be more of a tourist/VFR route?

Brian.

andaman

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 61):
As for AY, I think they should try all year around too with their E170s, seeming that they're the only carrier on the route besides FR's Tampere route.

[Edited 2007-04-08 21:31:26]

It's expected that AY start serving DUB next winter with E170 or E190, I guess there would be markets in Dublin for AY's Asia flights. The Airbuses they are using in summer on HEL-DUB would be too big perhaps.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Danny

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:40 pm

Will LO be around in 5 years time, or will the be beaten back by EI and FR ?

Very doubtful. LO is a ball in politicians game. They changed CEO 4 times within a year and currently have no CEO, no strategy, just drifting around. They have the highest cost base of 4 carriers on DUB-WAW so it's a matter of time until they pull.

rineanna

Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 79):
It's expected that AY start serving DUB next winter with E170 or E190,

Fantastic. As you said, if AY time the flights to connect with their Asian sevices, they could offer an attractive alternative to connecting to BKK or Shanghai via LHR or AMS, provided the prices aren't astronomical.

In relation to the comments about how long LO and the other non-Irish carriers will last, one glimpse of hope is SkyEurope, They've lasted all this time in direct competition with RYR to Bratislava and Krakow.

andaman

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:15 pm

Quoting Rineanna (Reply 81):

Fantastic. As you said, if AY time the flights to connect with their Asian sevices, they could offer an attractive alternative to connecting to BKK or Shanghai via LHR or AMS, provided the prices aren't astronomical.

No official information though, rumours only. Would be a very locigal move - with the connection to their Asian service, wouldn't make much sense with out. I just was thinking the A/C, DUB-HEL takes 3h and I think they have used Embraers
for shorter flights only.

Actually Blue1 (MD-90) has been flying HEL-DUB too.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

COEI2007

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:51 pm

Ok if EI go for the Caribbean I would think GND and or ANU !!!! Why those do you ask???? Well lets say theres a few mates of the heads of EI that have ''Interests'' there !!!! Watch this space....

Wheres GND? I'd like to see DUB-BGI-ANU! It could work, as theres a lot of Irish flying to the Carribean now, and then the cruise market is also growing a lot, so cruise operators may use EI? I'd gladly work an EI flight to BGI/ANU!!!!!

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 71):
Cork needs to take advantage of OS 757s from CO or US would be very welcome

Well, US to DUB isnt exactly rolling in the $$$$, but CO could be a possibility!

n272wa

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 83):
Wheres GND

Grenada?

aerarann

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 pm

Just to let you all know, theres some real nice EI memrobilia on sale on ebay at the moment, if any of you are interested!!!

BestWestern

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:33 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 60):
U2 @ ORK has damaged the ability of ORK to attract new airlines. I would personally love to see some more network carriers at ORK

Dont blame U2 - Blame FR's reaction to U2...

OS and AY always peed me off with their half-arsed attempt at making any success on their Irish operations

AY also had a really successful DUB ARN HEL route that started in the late '90s... with competition now to ARN, HEL probably doesnt have the passenges to make money on for AY...

they should have transferred the route to Austrian arrows to operate with their F100s ALL year round with it dropping down to 3/4 weekly during the winter time

Tyrolean Airways started the VIE DUB route with a Fokker 100 back in the late 90's, and it was really successful. However, with EI now daily to Vienna, their chances of competing are slim with their higher cost base. However, if OS were to do a morning flight to Dublin, with EI in the evenings there would be room for both.

Spantax was the only airline to send back a poster.

Spantax - someone showing his age... long time since I heard that name... good carrier too....
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

shamrock350

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 pm

Theres some great stuff on ebay alright! Here's another site with EI T-shirts for sale.
http://www.aerobluedesigns.com/default.asp?nc=4946&id=78

BrianDromey

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 86):

Dont blame U2 - Blame FR's reaction to U2...

Oh trust me, I know who to blame alright, and its not the orange airline. With that "masterstroke" FR have sent a very clear message to european airlines. That is "ORK/SNN/DUB/NOC is OURS....kindly **** off, or we'll bring out the big guns."

I hope, that RE keeps "sticking it to the big boys of Europe" on the DUB route, and FR begin to see sense, and reduce frequency, if not withdraw altogether.

Brian.

pilot21

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
When the John Paul II died I remember watching a documentary showing him coming into Ireland on a EI B747 years back!! What an amazing sight to see.

There was a book written yrs ago by an ex-EI Captain, I think it was called 'Green is my Sky'. Anyway, he was the Captain on the B747 flight (St Patrick I believe) which brought the Pope from Dublin to Boston. In it he mentioned some of the things they had set up for the trip. There was a small bed installed in the upper deck of the aircraft so the Pope could get some rest on the flight, but to ensure there weren't any scr*w ups, a 2nd B747 was kitted out the same way, and as a real back up, a B707 in case both Jumbo's went tech! (would not be happy if I was a regular pax looking to travel across the pond at the time!)

The weather in Boston was awful as well, and there was a strong chance they would have to divert to JFK because of low cloud/mist, but they landed ok and I remember he mentioned that as the crew watched the footage of his de-planing in Boston that evening, the Shamrock got a big piece of the footage, and it was a great ad for EI at the time.
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

andaman

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:34 pm

AY also had a really successful DUB ARN HEL route that started in the late '90s... with competition now to ARN, HEL probably doesnt have the passenges to make money on for AY...

AY's own LCC in Sweden, FlyNordic, have been flying ARN-DUB.
Actually their DUB-HEL route sells well in summer, winter is the question mark. As discussed earlier, it's expected that they would fly to DUB in winter too, to feed their Asia flights. In summer there is also Blue1.
I haven't heard how Ryanair have been doing with Dublin-Tampere route during the winter.

[Edited 2007-04-09 15:51:48]

ei 168

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:48 pm

Theres speculation on sqtalk that singapore airlines will be flying to Dublin in september. I dont know how reliable the poster is, but interesting all the same. Id imagine they'd have to route through a european city.

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 79):
It's expected that AY start serving DUB next winter with E170 or E190, I guess there would be markets in Dublin for AY's Asia flights. The Airbuses they are using in summer on HEL-DUB would be too big perhaps.

They used to have good fares from Dublin but they never got massive loads on this route . People tended to look at them when everything else was full. I dont know why but it was just the way it was. Also SK have good connections but they dont pick up as much as they could do from DUB. It will be hard to steel passengers off EY and GF on the Far East run.

Quoting Danny (Reply 80):
Very doubtful. LO is a ball in politicians game. They changed CEO 4 times within a year and currently have no CEO, no strategy, just drifting around. They have the highest cost base of 4 carriers on DUB-WAW so it's a matter of time until they pull.

Dont under estimate LO , they will be around alot longer than you think.

and then the cruise market is also growing a lot, so cruise operators may use EI?

To serve the cruise market EI would have to do a MIA service as 80% of cruises leave from MIA or FLL. Its a pain for me especially that does 2 cruises every year that its so badly served in general.

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 89):
There was a book written yrs ago by an ex-EI Captain, I think it was called 'Green is my Sky'. Anyway, he was the Captain on the B747 flight (St Patrick I believe) which brought the Pope from Dublin to Boston. In it he mentioned some of the things they had set up for the trip. There was a small bed installed in the upper deck of the aircraft so the Pope could get some rest on the flight, but to ensure there weren't any scr*w ups, a 2nd B747 was kitted out the same way, and as a real back up, a B707 in case both Jumbo's went tech! (would not be happy if I was a regular pax looking to travel across the pond at the time!)

Well in those days it would have been a total embarrasement to the nation if the Pope and been stranded!!! These days he would get a Eur5 meal voucher ....lol

n272wa

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 92):
To serve the cruise market EI would have to do a MIA service as 80% of cruises leave from MIA or FLL. Its a pain for me especially that does 2 cruises every year that its so badly served in general

Eh, OA260 - i would NOT be complaining if I had the opportunity to do 2 cruises every year. I have never been on one in my life...!

EISHN

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:02 pm

Well all. Picked up my mother today from her week in LA. Came into SNN on the 133, flying on good old EI-DAA (the same a/c she flew on DUB-LAX-DUB), and the captain performed a very smooth landing. I was routing through some of her stuff like her ticket jacket, ticket and priority bag tag, and it appears that EI have not altogether abandoned their "scriptive writing" image. Its on the ticket jacket, the ticket and the priority bag tag. Will scan and show them later. In my opinion they look very smart, and have that sense of the old EI still lurking about .
St. Flannan/ Fhlanain- She took off to find the footlights, And I took off for the sky

OA260

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 93):
Eh, OA260 - i would NOT be complaining if I had the opportunity to do 2 cruises every year. I have never been on one in my life...!

LOL...well im not complaining about the cruise !!! Just the fights to get back . You should go on a cruise sometime you would have a ball. They are alot cheaper than they used to be. The best one is Royal Caribbean and the new ones have amazing facilities on board. Surfing simulator,boxing ring,ice skating rink,night clubs!!! A trans Atlantic trip from UK to Florida for 11 nights costs as little as Eur600 per person !!! Thats why I do them , they are very good value. Then you just get a cheap ticket home. My last trip I met a good few Dubs on it .

aerarann

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 95):
The best one is Royal Caribbean and the new ones have amazing facilities on board. Surfing simulator,boxing ring,ice skating rink,night clubs!!!

Out of interest, what age group would be on these trips mostly?? Are there special crusies for "young ones"??

rineanna

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 88):
and FR begin to see sense, and reduce frequency, if not withdraw altogether.

Can't see that happening. FR's ego would take a massive dent should it succumb to a little turboprop airline.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 95):
My last trip I met a good few Dubs on it .

was that a good thing or a bad thing?

COEI2007

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 92):
and then the cruise market is also growing a lot, so cruise operators may use EI?

To serve the cruise market EI would have to do a MIA service as 80% of cruises leave from MIA or FLL. Its a pain for me especially that does 2 cruises every year that its so badly served in general.

I dont know why I even said that!!! Either way, BGI or ANU could work for EI! MIA would also be handy for those wanting to cruise!!!!!

bx737

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Pilot21 (Reply 89):
I think it was called 'Green is my Sky'

The pilots name was Aidan Quigley if memory serves me rightly, it is an interesting book. It may be available in second hand book shops. He also wrote another book, whose title escapes me.

Spantax - someone showing his age... long time since I heard that name... good carrier too....

They were a great airline, I'm not that old you know, now where is my zimmer frame?

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 78):
Is there an extra training for the use of this pannel?

The only training was a differences information sheet pinned up on the notice board in the cabin crew base in the Technical building in Dublin airport. Speaking of EI-DET someone said that EI had only had aircraft owned and leased from ILFC, EI-DET is actually leased from CIT Aerospace.

There is an EI tee shirt available from www.skyshirts.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos