Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

a3xx900

RE: NW BDL-AMS Meals / No Flight Kitchen In BDL?

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:07 pm

LSG Skychefs is the second largest caterer after McDonald's and the largest aircraft caterer. I'm sure they know what they're doing  Wink
Why is 10 afraid of 7? Because 7 8 9.

BMIFlyer

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:22 pm

Highly unusual, but im sure NW have it figured out  Smile

Out of curiosity, is there enough demand for a direct BDL - Europe flight?

What gave them this idea anyway? Spare Aircraft?

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

JRadier

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting RandyWaldron (Reply 45):

No, it does not sound stupid. Logistically, it does not make any sense.

Have to agree here.

Again, logistically, considering that BOS is a 757 maintenance base and AMS will be shortly, there's no need for this supposed rotation you've conceived of in your mind.

Plus the aircraft is supposed to be flying a W from BOS (BOS-AMS-BDL-AMS-BOS) anyway!

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 51):

Out of curiosity, is there enough demand for a direct BDL - Europe flight?

Might want to read the thread again!

BMIFlyer

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 52):
Might want to read the thread again!

Ya ok done that thanks  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

787kq

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting RandyWaldron (Reply 14):
Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 8):
I am surprised that NW does not route the aircraft BOS-BDL-AMS or DTW-BDL-AMS to address this issue.

Your idea is ludicrious. Route an aircraft via a congested city, during peak traffic times, expend hundreds of thousands of extra dollars on landing fees, fuel and operating expenses just to pick up some pre-cooked chicken and pasta? Make an extra stop for catering??? You must be joking - or you have absolutely no knowledge of airline operations.

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 17):
to give NW an opportunity to get the 752s back to DTW for maintainance.

Again, logistically, considering that BOS is a 757 maintenance base and AMS will be shortly, there's no need for this supposed rotation you've conceived of in your mind. There's already a proposed rotation for those 56xx aircrafts.....and it's completely different from the one you propose here. Why? Operating Costs - PERIOD.

The next time you want to talk about airline logistics, I encourage you to e-mail me and I'll show you around the barn. You'll be amazed at what a one-minute delay costs an airline, nevertheless a reroute for catering or adding flights to provide amentities (not a service) to passengers. As I've heard said in Schipol thousands upon thousands of times, what you're proposing is: "Not Possible!"

Randy take a pill. Rather than calling the idea ludicrous in the first place, which it is not, you should have explained your reasoning.

And since there are obviously flights between DTW and BDL catering in DTW for a flight to AMS would hardly be a reroute.

Since you know so much about airline logistics, why not explain to all here on A-net.

RL757PVD

Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 51):

Theres ALOT of people in the northeast corridor who are driving to places like BOS JFK EWR or PHL for their intl flights. and NONE of those places are an easy drive! Connecting service is typically available to JFK EWR or PHL...but those same airports that are bad to drive to, are also extremely delay prone. So rather than connect on this side, that not connect them on that side?

Mid sized airports like BDL, PIT, IND, CMH, PVD, and MAYBE BUF (the 5 mil+ pax airports) can each support a flight to a mega hub over there... Esp in the summer! What we have to watch is how the flight does in winter months.

AMS CDG and FRA seem to be the power hubs, though AMS is the one with the right airlines/codeshares and aircraft (NW 757s w. KLM codeshare). I really think if BA could get reconfig their 757s then each of those citiies could probably support a London flight, since LON tends to have the highest O&D from US airports.

Im thinking/hoping in the future airlines like BA with alot of offerings at JFK and BOS would do "seasonal supplemental service" to PVD and BDL. I.E, BOS has BA flighta at 6 7 and 9, with a VS at 8, so in the peak sumemr time, have a PVD at 8 when BOS is maxed out, and they can capture pax that will have likely used other airlines.

Thats whats going on here, airlines arecompeting for the same pax, but at different airports, essentially trying to "cut them off at the pass". The question is, are there enough? and is it enough year round? We will have to see......
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jabar

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 pm

Seems to me people just choose to ignore some parts of the thread and just continue on debating.

There is a SkyChef location at BDL.

I believe there is, in some way shape or form, catering in BDL. When AA wasn't flying the dreaded RJ to Chicago, the morning departures in First had warm breakfeasts. The flight to DFW has breakfeast as well. The DL flight to LAX has meal service up front I believe.

So whether it's SkyChef or some other solution, there is enough airline catering requirement in BDL to have local service. Now what nobody knows is if NW has decided to get their meals in BOS. For some obscure reason, they may have decided that it was the best option.

As far as lounge goes, I'm not aware that there are any plans for a NW lounge at the A gates. Maybe this specific flight will depart from the US/United pier where the US lounge is (but I highly doubt it).

As far as arrivals, I would be astonished that NW would not use the brand new (and clearly underutilized) international arrival facility. I don't see passengers clearing customs in AMS. They are not setup for that.

I can tell you I will be one of the first ones on that flight since I am over in Europe almost every month and work about 3 miles from BDL.... will report back on the quality of the food  Wink

Cheers.

adizzy

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:27 pm

This could be a huge security risk. Between BOS and BDL there is plenty of room for the truck to be come compromised!

Sean-SAN-

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 am

BDL-LAX has food in first class... it's usually crap, but I doubt they're trucking it in from Boston!

ptugarin

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:07 am

Wouldn�t it be cheaper to fly something down from DTW on a regular scheduled service?

peteg913

Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting BDL2DCA (Reply 42):
You might want to tell them that. Yeah sure

That's so weird...I have live in CT and used BDL my entire life...and I am just now remembering that there is one...it's a faint memory. I guess it was lost in all of the renovations and construction.

zrs70

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:04 am

Quoting Peteg913 (Reply 40):
There's no US Airways Club at BDL.

Well, actually, there is:
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/club/locations.aspx

The US Airways Club is available at:
Baltimore/ Washington International
Boston-Logan International
Buffalo
Charlotte/ Douglas International Airport
Greensboro
Hartford/ Springfield
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
Los Angeles International Airport
London Gatwick, United Kingdom
New York LaGuardia Airport
Philadelphia International Airport
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
Pittsburgh International
Raleigh/ Durham
Tampa
Ronald Reagan Washington National
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

Canada Mike

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:09 am

Even if they do truck it from somewhere, there will need to be some sort of 'backup' plan with a local caterer. Speaking as a F/A, when we check our catering prior to departure, there are missing items/incorrect uploads more often than not...won't be very good if the truck shows up at the proper time but short 20 Y meals or with a load of only F breakfasts for a 5.00 pm departure or 3x the tonic water but no coffee...etc etc!! Believe me, the catering can be totally messed up sometimes... They will surely have a backup plan so they can truck something from across the ramp when the F/A checks the galley and finds everything haywire, no?

BDL2DCA

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 41):
Quoting Peteg913 (Reply 40):
There's no US Airways Club at BDL.

You might want to tell them that. Yeah sure

Quoting Peteg913 (Reply 60):
Quoting BDL2DCA (Reply 42):

For the record, Peteg913, you were quoting A330323X, not me.
146,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,359,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,744,752,753,762,763,772,788,789,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,E75,E90,F100,S80

LH423

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting ADiZzy (Reply 57):
This could be a huge security risk. Between BOS and BDL there is plenty of room for the truck to be come compromised!

Trucks have seals. The seals are then reconfirmed by a staff member of the airline before anything can be loaded. If the seal is broken or doesn't match up with what the airline rep has, the truck is not authorized to load.

So, yes, while the chances could be greater compared to a truck that is based at the same airport, it's still a slim chance that anything could happen.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

umichcub

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:36 pm

I flew BOS-AMS in March '06 on the NW A332 on NW 38.

I would suggest that the answer to driving meals from BOS to BDL might be something related to the alcohol catering. Since booze is free in economy on NW Transatlantic, their volume of beer and wine is much higher than on a typical domestic transcontinental or domestic flight.

Am I right in saying there are no international carriers in BDL that fly off the continent? They would be in a similar situation as Northwest. Perhaps NW is just looking for the cheap wine and beer. ha! The Trader Joe's 2 buck chuck "Charles Shaw" wine. I know when I flew last march that I drank a bunch of coach class booze. The female FA served us starter drinks, mini bottles of red wine that we drank like shooters, and then brought us our two heinekens that we had actually ordered. The beers kept coming....

Perhaps this trucking is a temporary option until they can negotiate a contract with flight catering in BDL for cheap wine and beer.

The only other thing I would suggest otherwise is that Northwest is loyal to their BOS caterer, seeing as they probably used the caterer extensively in the NW BOS international hub days (ARN, PIK, LGW, CPH...). Though they don't use the caterer as much, maybe they got a better deal with transportation cost from the BOS caterer. Something to put people back to work...

-A

VC10DC10

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Quoting Jabar (Reply 56):
The flight to DFW has breakfeast as well.

Whoa, not just breakfast, a break-feast! Sounds good.  Wink

Quoting LH423 (Reply 64):

Trucks have seals. The seals are then reconfirmed by a staff member of the airline before anything can be loaded. If the seal is broken or doesn't match up with what the airline rep has, the truck is not authorized to load.

Right. Makes perfect sense.

Quoting Umichcub (Reply 65):

The only other thing I would suggest otherwise is that Northwest is loyal to their BOS caterer, seeing as they probably used the caterer extensively in the NW BOS international hub days (ARN, PIK, LGW, CPH...). Though they don't use the caterer as much, maybe they got a better deal with transportation cost from the BOS caterer. Something to put people back to work...

I'd like to think so (though some would argue that kind of loyalty is hard to find in the airline world today). Sometimes I just wish NW would go back to flying aircraft with more than two engines to interesting destinations like PIK from great places like BOS and MSP... ah, nostalgia  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos