Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

COERJ145
Topic Author

YX To Start MCI-COS And MCI-MSN

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:35 am

pilotfox

RE: YX To Start MCI-COS And MCI-MSN

Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:28 am

More good news for YX. I didn't really see MSN-MCI coming.

Midwest Airlines to Launch New Nonstop Service From Kansas City to Colorado Springs and Madison July 1
Airline Also Increases Flight Frequency in Two Markets
KANSAS CITY, Mo., April 10, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Midwest Airlines (Amex: MEH) today announced the launch of additional 50-seat Midwest Connect regional jet service, including new nonstop service to two cities from Kansas City and frequency increases in two existing markets.

On July 1, Midwest will launch nonstop service to two cities that are not currently served nonstop from Kansas City:

* Kansas City-Colorado Springs, Colo., three roundtrips each weekday and a total of four on weekends.
* Kansas City-Madison, Wis., two roundtrips each weekday and a total of three on weekends. The new service is in addition to connecting Madison-Kansas City service already offered by Midwest via Milwaukee.

Convenient connections will be available in Kansas City to and from cities on the airline's nationwide network.

Additionally on July 1, the airline will add daily flight frequency on two existing Midwest routes and retime service in both markets to accommodate the added frequency:

* Kansas City-Pittsburgh, increasing from 1 to 2 nonstop roundtrip flights.
* Kansas City-San Antonio, increasing from 2 to 3 nonstop roundtrip flights.

The announcement is the next step in the continuing roll-out of Midwest's comprehensive 2007 strategic plan, which includes the addition of up to six new destinations and as many as 12 new routes. The airline's new 50-seat regional jet program features CRJ-200 Canadair regional jets outfitted with Midwest's brown leather seats and offering the airline's popular buy-onboard Best Care Cuisine meals and baked-onboard chocolate chip cookies.

"Midwest Airlines is delighted to continue to implement its 2007 expansion plan in Kansas City," said Scott R. Dickson, Midwest Airlines senior vice president and chief marketing officer.

"Colorado Springs and Madison not only have great business synergies with Kansas City, they also offer access to incredible recreational areas in Colorado and Wisconsin." He added that both the Pittsburgh and San Antonio routes have clearly demonstrated the potential to support additional daily flights.

With the added service announced today, Midwest Airlines will offer 44 nonstop flights each weekday from its Kansas City hub to 18 destinations nationwide. The airline has steadily expanded its Kansas City service in recent years, resulting in significant gains in passenger market share; Midwest is now the second largest airline in Kansas City.

Tickets for the new service may be purchased at http://www.midwestairlines.com. Schedules, including a downloadable timetable, and fares are also available on the Web site.

Nonstop Midwest Connect Kansas City-Colorado Springs Service
Beginning July 1, 2007

Kansas City to Colorado Springs Colorado Springs to Kansas City
Depart Arrive Frequency Depart Arrive Frequency
09:10 a.m. 09:55 a.m. Except Sunday 06:00 a.m. 08:40 a.m. Except Sunday
04:50 p.m. 05:35 p.m. Daily 10:25 a.m. 01:05 p.m. Daily
08:20 p.m. 09:05 p.m. Except Saturday 06:05 p.m. 08:45 p.m. Except
Saturday

Nonstop Midwest Connect Kansas City-Madison Service
Beginning July 1, 2007

Kansas City to Madison Madison to Kansas City
Depart Arrive Frequency Depart Arrive Frequency
01:25 p.m. 02:35 p.m. Daily 06:55 a.m. 08:10 a.m. Except Sunday
09:15 p.m. 10:25 p.m. Except Saturday 03:05 p.m. 04:20 p.m. Daily

Midwest Airlines features jet service throughout the United States, including Milwaukee's most daily nonstop flights and best schedule to major destinations. Catering to business travelers and discerning leisure travelers, the airline earned its reputation as "The best care in the air" by providing passengers with impeccable service and onboard amenities at competitive fares. Both Skyway Airlines, Inc. -- a wholly owned subsidiary of Midwest Airlines -- and SkyWest Airlines operate as Midwest Connect and offer service to and connections through Midwest Airlines' hubs. Together, the airlines offer service to 51 cities. More information is available at http://www.midwestairlines.com.

This document contains forward-looking statements about the results expected under the company's strategic plan and that otherwise may state the company's or management's intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions for the future. Words such as "projecting," "expect," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "goal," "objective" or similar words are intended to identify forward-looking statements. It is important to note that the company's actual results could differ materially from projected results due to the risk factors described in Item 1A. Risk Factors in the company's "Annual Report on Form 10-K" for the year ended December 31, 2006.

SOURCE Midwest Airlines

[Edited 2007-04-10 22:33:11]

mke717spotter

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting Pilotfox (Reply 1):
More good news for YX. I didn't really see MSN-MCI coming.

You took the words right outta my mouth.  MSN was pretty unexpected, but I'm glad for MSN about this new route. Is MKE-MSN all FRJ now or do they still have some B1900's on that route?s

[Edited 2007-04-10 23:55:12]

Venezuela747

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:12 am

I dont think Midwest served COS before.....but hey half of the counters there are empty so they can move in easily. I wonder which gate they will be taking over?

quickmover

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:19 am

Didn't Vanguard do MCI-COS at the end with md80s? They were huge (for them) on MCI-DEN in the mid to late 90s before F9 started the route. UA had 8 or so Vanguard had 4 or 5 dailys, MarkAir had 3. When F9 started the route Vanguard passengers moved to F9.

N353SK

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 2):
Is MKE-MSN all FRJ now or do they still have some B1900's on that route?s

On weekdays, 4xFRJ and 2xBE1 daily

EXAAUADL

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting Pilotfox (Reply 1):
Kansas City-Colorado Springs, Colo., three roundtrips each weekday and a total of four on weekends.
* Kansas City-Madison, Wis., two roundtrips each weekday and a total of three on weekends.

This has got to be a misprint.....MCI-COS should do well with high fares.....is there a OO Mx base in COS?

geg2rap

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:55 am

yes OO mx base in COS, suprised they didn't pick MCI-SLC , but hey WN and DL on that route

BA

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:57 am

Good for COS. It's about time that they get more air service.

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 4):
Didn't Vanguard do MCI-COS at the end with md80s?

Yes.

msnyx

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:08 am

Very good news for those of us in MSN. I will have to try to get on that first flight.  Big grin

N353SK

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:24 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 6):
This has got to be a misprint..

Nope, just PR/marketing tactics.

A "total of 3 flight on weekends" means 3 total over the entire weekend

md94

Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:41 am

I'm excited about the MCI-COS route, I will probably plan a surprise trip for the wife at the end of July. Cool!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile

PITSpeedbird

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:09 pm

This is great news for PIT too!
We desperately need increased NONSTOP frequency to MCI from PIT!

I always see alot of people on WN's MDW flights who are going on to MCI!

Plus the times on YX for nonstop MCI service were inconvenient. I hope that the
flight to MCI is in the evening and the flight to PIT is in the AM!

Once again this is desperately needed increased frequency on an airline that gives great service.
Gotta love those cookies and those seats!

Good job by Midwest Airlines for recognizing the need for increased service!
Soutwest needs to get their act together and compete! Or they will lose a bunch of business. Here's to hoping WN jumping on the MCI wagon!

Go penguins !

PITSpeedbird

[Edited 2007-04-11 06:12:20]

[Edited 2007-04-11 06:14:28]

[Edited 2007-04-11 06:15:41]

SkyexRamper

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:16 pm

Really didn't see MCI to MSN coming at all...that will just cut loads on 2 flights from MSN to MKE then.

Quoting Md94 (Reply 11):
I will probably plan a surprise trip for the wife at the end of July.

Just tell her that she won't be flying the real Midwest, just some CRJ knock off. Don't want to have her sights set high and then only to be disappointed.  Wink

JBo

Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 13):
Really didn't see MCI to MSN coming at all...that will just cut loads on 2 flights from MSN to MKE then.

Which will probably let them get away with simply eliminating the two Beech flights rather than upgrade them to 1 or 2 FRJ flights.

knope2001

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 14):
Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 13):

Which will probably let them get away with simply eliminating the two Beech flights rather than upgrade them to 1 or 2 FRJ flights.

Possible, but I'd suspect MKE-MSN to stay at 6x/day because the MCI trips don't really do much to offset MKE demand. Midwest would have a couple significant holes their schedule without those two BE1 trips, especially the 7:35pm MKE-MSN trip which could definitely use an FRJ. Much of the traffic on those BE1 segments are connections from places like Atlanta, New York, Washington, Dallas and Boston...places not served via MCI. Plus the two CRJ flights between Madison and Kansas City are at roughly the same time as FRJ's to/from Madison, so it doesn't fill holes in the schedule created if the BE1 flights are dumped.

Midwest has pretty good traffic support from MSN, but not to the west coast. Midwest carries a comparably tiny segment of the market from Maidson to places like San Francisco and Los Angeles. I'm sure a part of that is the notion that flying directly east to head west seems wrong. And some trips from Madison to the west coast via Milwaukee now require two stops...and in some cases two connections. Flying MSN-MCI nonstop will help them gain more traffic in west coast markets as well.

For some basic information, here are the total passengers (both ways total) per day who flew between Madison and select destionations available via Midwest's MCI operations for the first three quarters of 2006:

11 Colorado Springs
42 Kansas City
109 Los Angeles
33 San Antonio
57 San Diego
142 San Francisco
81 Seattle

The MCI numbers will probably grow as nonstop flights tend to grow a market (fewer people using ORD nonstops instead, fewer people driving because a connecting filght is 3-4 hours, etc) and the bulk of passengers will be on Midwest. As for the other connecting markets, Midwest will of course only carry a fraction of the total in markets like MSN-LAX, but there are definitely passengers to pursue. With 650 seats each way per week, Midwest needs to board an average of about 60 people per day on MSN-MCI to hit a 65% load factor. There will likely be more spokes at MCI to get Madison passengers. And they may well funnel some Florida passengers in markets like MSN-MCO via Kansas City too.

burnsie28

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:57 am

I was pretty excited about the announcement of COS service until it said it will be with CRJ's. Of course, OO is going to handle everything there.

graphic

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 16):
I was pretty excited about the announcement of COS service until it said it will be with CRJ's. Of course, OO is going to handle everything there.

Did you honestly expect anything else?

...And aren't you supposed to be in class right now?

4everRC

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 15):
Midwest has pretty good traffic support from MSN, but not to the west coast. Midwest carries a comparably tiny segment of the market from Maidson to places like San Francisco and Los Angeles.

When I first saw this post, I was excited because I would like another viable alternative to NW when I travel SFO-MSN (and I LOVE YX). However, when I checked the schedules, the connection in MCI is either a tremendous wait, or missed completely.  Sad

knope2001

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting 4everRC (Reply 18):
When I first saw this post, I was excited because I would like another viable alternative to NW when I travel SFO-MSN (and I LOVE YX). However, when I checked the schedules, the connection in MCI is either a tremendous wait, or missed completely.

We might still see some flight schedule adjustments. According to the press release, the expansion of MCI-SAT and MCI-PIT meant that some existing flights would be re-timed. So far the old MCI-SAT and MCI-PIT flight times have not changed, so that tells me there are some general schedule changes not loaded. Those may include more markets than just SAT and PIT. Often when they release info on a new city or new route they load those new flights immediately, but the entire revised schedule with more changes is loaded later, often a weekend or two after the initial press release. No guarantee that MCI-SFO will be significantly changed, but there are some changes out there not loaded.

Even with the current schedule, however, MSN-SFO in July has some good 1-stop connections on MIdwest:

MSN-SFO
6:55a - 11:30a (1:40 connection in MCI)

SFO-MSN
2:45p - 10:20p (1:10 connection in MKE)

The connection SFO-MSN via Kansas City is currently about 3.5 hours, which is not terribly attractive.

imapilotaz

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 am

yes but you could take that time in MCI and visit one of the 4-5 cattle museums surrounding the airport. I'm hoping to visit one next Tuesday when I have 3+ hours on the ground in MCI.

Staggerwing

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:11 am

Colorado Springs as one of the new destinations was very surprising to me at first. As the closing Reservations Supervisor at Vanguard, one of my responsibilities was to compile the daily statistics and leave a voicemail in a special mailbox that all the various head honchos listened to as soon as they got to work in the morning. Since I kept the records five days of the week, I began to see certain patterns. One of the patterns that I noticed was that the flights to COS were on average $15 to $20 each way less expensive at the lowest fare and $40 to $50 less expensive at the highest fare then flying to DIA. About six weeks before we went out of business I finally had the chance meet and talk to Greg Aretakis (now at Midwest) Vanguard's VP of Revenue Management. When I brought up COS and the fares that we were charging, he said that COS was only started up because we could not get a second gate at DIA at an affordable price. It seems that our on time percentage limited us to 5 to 6 round trips per day out of DIA and US wanted an obscene amount of money to let us have the gate next to us. When the PNR's for trips originating in COS were sorted by zip code, about half of them were actually Denver zips. In addition, when we pulled the billing address history we found that around 30% had previously flown out of DIA. In fact a significant portion of these clients were flying out of COS only if the fare out of DIA was to high or the flight times weren't good.

So, it was only after I read that the maintance on the RJ's was going to be done in COS that COS made sense.

Staggerwing

knope2001

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:38 am

One other thing that may work in the favor of COS.

Denver is the 3rd largest destination from Kansas City with about 1200 passengers each day in the most recent quarter. But Frontier, United and Southwest together have about 18 round trips per day, so it would be very tough sledding for Midwest to break in. As it is, Southwest is (so far) not doing well breaking in.

Depending on where you're headed in Denver, the Colorado Springs airport is not an unreasonable alternative to DIA. Similar to how MKE-FNT serves quite a few customers bound for Detroit, and MKE-DAY serves quite a few customers bound for Cincinnati, some Midwest Miles members in Kansas City will use Colorado Springs as access to metro Denver. For passengers bound for other parts of Colorado using DIA today, Colorado Springs will in some instances be a more convenient option.

Flying MCI-COS gives Midwest access to the huge market of Colorado without trying to fly under the shadows of near-hourly 737's and Airbus already flying MCI-DEN.

I suspect they are planning on getting a small segment of traffic now flying MCI-DEN to support COS service.

daus

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:49 am

Some more YX moves:

Midwest adds 3rd flight to Hartford, Conn.
Midwest Airlines (MEH) will add a third daily roundtrip flight to Hartford, Conn., and put larger jets on that route and three others, the company said today.

The new flight will begin July 1, when Midwest also will upgrade all Milwaukee-Hartford flights to 50-seat regional jets from 32-seat jets. Also on July 1, the company will upgrade two more of its daily Milwaukee-Green Bay flights to 32-seat jets, and two more of its Milwaukee-Flint, Mich., flights. With the changes, all Milwaukee-Flint flights and four of the five Milwaukee-Green Bay flights will be on the larger planes.

On June 1, Midwest will put 32-seat jets on two of its three daily flights between Milwaukee and Wausau/Stevens Point. The route now uses 19-seat turboprops.

The changes are part of Midwest's expansion plans. The Oak Creek-based company has been fighting a hostile takeover bid by AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI).

SkyexRamper

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Daus (Reply 23):
The changes are part of Midwest's expansion plans.

More like their plans to make all our pilot fly the short shit routes and give the longer routes to SkyWest....so now they can force our pilots to fly more trips per day. Tuesday was ugly for one jet crew......they just kept getting beat down by scheduling. At the end of the night the FO said F it and went home after crew scheduling was trying to push her to fly to MSN.

knope2001

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:34 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 24):
More like their plans to make all our pilot fly the short shit routes and give the longer routes to SkyWest....so now they can force our pilots to fly more trips per day.

More like no more fuel stops on BDL-MKE.

The FRJ's slowness and limited range really show up on those 600+ mile trips. I don't doubt that most crews probably prefer fewer, longer trips versus more short hops, but that's what these aircraft are designed for. The Beech on MKE-STL, MKE-SDF and MKE-BNA (are you there long enough to remember that miserable trip?) were nice long segments for crews, but not good fits for the aircraft or passenges.

You know, a lot of the complaints about routes gonig to CRJ, both from the 717 and the FRJ, miss an important fact. Midwest had a large hole between the FRJ and the 717. The FRJ is only 32 seats and becomes marginal once you get past about 500 miles (speed, range, payload). The 717 is 88 seats and needs a steady stream of higher-yielding local traffic to be economical. The gap between the two aircraft is comparably large, and 717's and FRJ's were put into more than a few markets where a 50-seat RJ would do better. Now that they have them, they SHOULD be replacing some 717 and FRJ flying. If they didn't, then they are not using them to their best advantage.

I certainly don't doubt that crews continue to be stretched thin as scheduling and/or dispatch beg them to cover trips and pick up extra flying because of current shortages. The sooner that Skyway is better staffed, the better.

[Edited 2007-04-12 19:36:51]

JBo

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 24):
More like their plans to make all our pilot fly the short shit routes and give the longer routes to SkyWest....so now they can force our pilots to fly more trips per day.

That's what happens when the aircraft you fly are designed for short routes rather than long routes.

knope2001

Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:11 am

With the July schedule Midwest will be down to four BE1 lines of flying:

MQT IWD MKE GRR MKE IMT MQT MKE ESC IMT MKE MSN MKE RHI IWD

IWD RHI MKE MQT MKE ESC MKE RHI MKE MKG MKE GRR MKE MKG MBL

MBL MKG MKE CWA MKE MBL MKE...............................................MKE ESC

ESC MKE GRR MKE.......MKE RHI IWD RHI MKE MQT MKE GRB MKE IMT MQT

The first long................section is scheduled downtime for the BE1 for daily scheduled maint rotation. No BE1 overnights in MIlwaukee, the mx base.

The second shorter ...... marks the place where an aircraft today does the morning MKE-MSN-MKE. That trip disappears from the schedule as of 5/31, and from that point the the aircraft just sits in MKE. Not sure what's up with that. It certainly wasn't an empty trip. And it's not like Madison is becoming all-jet either, as the 7:40pm MKE-MSN-MKE trip still is out there.

Of course we'll see what happens when Great Lakes comes in. They have been awarded IWD, IMT, ESC and MBL after 5/31. So things might change a bit as well.

JBo

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 27):
With the July schedule Midwest will be down to four BE1 lines of flying:

Which is exactly how many aircraft they need for the EAS cities since they all overnight.

I'm not sure what the timing is on on your smaller gap, but if it's late morning, maybe it's a space to reinstate the late morning flight we had in MKG (1404/1405) that was axed in October when the two Beeches were grounded for the wing spar inspection.

As much as I'd like to see an FRJ come in here, I'd also be happy getting that flight back...it was a strong performer for us.

knope2001

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 28):
I'm not sure what the timing is on on your smaller gap, but if it's late morning, maybe it's a space to reinstate the late morning flight we had in MKG (1404/1405) that was axed in October when the two Beeches were grounded for the wing spar inspection.

The aircraft arrives in MKE at 8:26 from Grand Rapids, and then sits until it departs for Rhinelander at 11:20. Plenty of time for a short trip over to Muskegon, Madison or Green Bay.

I'm hopeful that Great Lakes flies perhaps 5 BE1 at MIlwaukee so that an extra trip can be fit in to places like Muskegon, Wausau and Rhinelander, but time will tell.

JBo

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:46 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 29):
I'm hopeful that Great Lakes flies perhaps 5 BE1 at MIlwaukee so that an extra trip can be fit in to places like Muskegon, Wausau and Rhinelander, but time will tell.

Either that or they get their hands on another FRJ, or upgrade some more existing FRJ routes to the CRJ where possible, to upgrade some additional Beech routes to let those extra trips take place, or even open some new small cities with the Beech.

SkyexRamper

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 25):

You don't need to try to lecture me on what a 328 is....I'm way a head of you on that route. Don't assume I know nothing about airplanes that my company flies. My post was about our crews getting shafted even more...ever been in a place like that before? No one sticks up for pilots except for pilots, normal people just don't get it!

The Beech on MKE-STL, MKE-SDF and MKE-BNA (are you there long enough to remember that miserable trip?)

I've flown to SDF more than 6 times and to STL over a dozen. Length doesn't bother me on those, I'm an aviator, we don't get bored flying. Jets will always be better rides over 150nm but CRJ are that exception.

JBo

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 31):
You don't need to try to lecture me on what a 328 is....

I assume you meant to quote me rather than Knope, and I wasn't attempting to get lectured, I was simply stating an observation. That's what happens. Yeah, it sucks for the crews, but at the same time it's better than having no job at all. It'd be great if the 50-seat flying could have been done in-house, I think everyone would have wanted it that way, it just didn't work out. The Beech situation is a bit different, I think everyone would have prefferred to have the Beeches gone altogether, regardless whose flying them.

Even so, I know it sucks for the crews with everything changing around and a good number departing for greener pastures. It's a rough time we'll all get through with eventually.

mke717spotter

Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting Daus (Reply 23):
On June 1, Midwest will put 32-seat jets on two of its three daily flights between Milwaukee and Wausau/Stevens Point.

Yes!!! I'm especially pleased about this one. I'm not that big of a B1900 fan really so now whenever I go to Wassua for some skiing I'll be able to fly on the 328 into CWA instead of the B1900.

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 29):
I'm hopeful that Great Lakes flies perhaps 5 BE1 at MIlwaukee

Quoting JBo (Reply 30):
or even open some new small cities with the Beech.

On that note, if they were to get a couple extra B1900's, how about going back to La Crosse or Lansing? They used to fly there, but cut those routes not to long ago.

JBo

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 33):

On that note, if they were to get a couple extra B1900's, how about going back to La Crosse or Lansing? They used to fly there, but cut those routes not to long ago.

If they brought back LSE, it wouldn't be with the Beech. Part of the reason they left was because they couldn't compete with the other airlines (Airlink and Eagle, who else am I missing?) because they all had sizeable RJ operations and YX kept the Beech. Also, if I recall correctly, LSE was not a cheap airport to fly in to as far as landing fees, leasing, etc.

For LAN, YX only flew 2x a day when they were there ... if they were to make any significant penetration in the market, they'd probably fly it with the FRJ.

We're Nuts

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:22 am

No one sticks up for pilots except for pilots, normal people just don't get it!

I think pilots are the most fantastically unionized group in the country, and telling the internet's leading authority on aviation matters that they all "just don't get it" probably isn't helping your cause.

sideflare75

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:55 am

No one sticks up for pilots except for pilots, normal people just don't get it!

Are you serious? Are you implying that pilots are not normal?

n917me

Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:12 am

You don't need to try to lecture me on what a 328 is....I'm way a head of you on that route. Don't assume I know nothing about airplanes that my company flies. My post was about our crews getting shafted even more...ever been in a place like that before? No one sticks up for pilots except for pilots, normal people just don't get it!

Face it, most, if not all the pilots at Skyway and many other regional carriers are just use their positions as a stepping stone to move on to larger mainline jets. I am not sure many pilots would want to fly their entire career at a regional carrier. I have noticed that many of the regional carriers pilots that hitch a ride back to MKE are young. From what I have heard several SkyWay pilots are now flying with Midwest.

Bottom line is, they may have what you classify as "crap" short routes, but hell, at least they are flying.

JBo

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting N917ME (Reply 37):
Face it, most, if not all the pilots at Skyway and many other regional carriers are just use their positions as a stepping stone to move on to larger mainline jets. I am not sure many pilots would want to fly their entire career at a regional carrier. I have noticed that many of the regional carriers pilots that hitch a ride back to MKE are young. From what I have heard several SkyWay pilots are now flying with Midwest.

Amen to that. I've been here almost 2 1/2 years, and in that time I've seen alot of the pilots that were flying Beech when I started are either now flying the FRJ, flying for Midwest, or no longer with the company likely flying somewhere else. There are the select few that have been around a long time and must be happy doing so if they're still here.

knope2001

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 am

You don't need to try to lecture me on what a 328 is....I'm way a head of you on that route. Don't assume I know nothing about airplanes that my company flies.

Were we discussing in person, you'd have a point. However this is a message board and so many of the people who read this thread may not know about the performance of the 328 on long routes.

My post was about our crews getting shafted even more

Because MKE-BDL won't be FRJ anymore? The 328's never belonged in a market like that in the first place and only flew there based on Midwest's limited resources. The FRJ also was ill-suited to MKE-EWR, MKE-DCA, and MKE-PHL. When 717's replaced the 1x/day FRJ's to each of those cities it dropped the average FRJ stage length too.

Skyway pilots have legit things to complain about, including how thin they are streched these days, with pressue to pick up more flyng again and again. It's understandable that they feel frustrated, and that frustration probably leads some to gripe about the loss of those long BDL flights. But c'mon, what do they propose SHOULD fly trips to places like Grand Rapids, Wausau, Des Moines and Flint?

knope2001

Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:56 am

With today's additions, as of 7/1 Midwest hits 300 daily operations at MKE each weekday:

18.064 total seats (arr + dep)
300 total daily operations (arr + dep)

110 FRJ
78 717
40 CRJ
38 BE1
34 M80

For those of you old-timers with Midwest, for their first several years they flew only 60-seat DC9. The capacity is about egaul to 150 daily DC9 departures each weekday at MKE. Quite something to think about compared to the 14 daily departures they plateued at in the mid-late 80's before their first big growth spurt.

TedEx

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:50 am

Didn't realize there were so many FRJ ops. Thanks for the info, Knope.

SkyexRamper

Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Face it, most, if not all the pilots at Skyway and many other regional carriers are just use their positions as a stepping stone to move on to larger mainline jets.
We have had a ton of long term pilots at skyway for the purpose of a stable flying job in a good city. Only really recently have the long timers started bailing in hordes (aside from Midwest). The company has pushed them to their finally breaking point so now it's time for everyone to bail quick!

From what I have heard several SkyWay pilots are now flying with Midwest.
There have been tons of pilots that got hired on the 717 I'd say about 3 dozen in the last 2 years, all of whom were top time pilots.

Quoting Sideflare75 (Reply 36):
Are you serious? Are you implying that pilots are not normal?
Pilots share a common ground or bond if you will amongst each other. I can't count how much BS and bashing I hear from people about airline pilots. People think they should just roll over and play dead.

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 35):
and telling the internet's leading authority on aviation matters that they all "just don't get it" probably isn't helping your cause
What's your point? I can't stick up for my fellow pilots that are getting their jobs stolen out from under them after they stuck with the company through thick and thin. Tell me you're joking right. By your bio I'm guessing you're an FA for WN, thats excellent job security.

I would love to see new skyway cities, aside from DLH, added in this master expansion plan that should've happened long before 9/11 when ME was making much more money on fewer flights.

[Edited 2007-04-13 06:18:25]

We're Nuts

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting SkyexRamper (Reply 42):
By your bio I'm guessing you're an FA for WN, thats excellent job security.

Former Mesa, start Midwest training on the 8th.

brandonfs88

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:42 am

so i heard MQT is getting 2 more flights this summer, anyone know if there going to be FRJ, or all Beech?

burnsie28

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:10 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 34):
If they brought back LSE, it wouldn't be with the Beech. Part of the reason they left was because they couldn't compete with the other airlines (Airlink and Eagle, who else am I missing?) because they all had sizeable RJ operations and YX kept the Beech.

NW flies the DC-9 into LSE.

vivavegas

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:24 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 45):
NW flies the DC-9 into LSE.

Would love to see AL dip a toe in to RST, perhaps even FSD. NW has nice little D9S ops into both, surely could support a D328 2x daily.

Craig
UES

JBo

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:31 am

Quoting Brandonfs88 (Reply 44):
so i heard MQT is getting 2 more flights this summer, anyone know if there going to be FRJ, or all Beech?

Beech as of right now ... so far the only non-EAS Beech city to have any FRJ upgrades announced is CWA.

n917me

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 43):
Former Mesa, start Midwest training on the 8th

You will be starting with one of my "old" staff.

mke717spotter

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:48 am

How many B1900s are in the Skyway fleet right now? I thought there were around 5 or so, but yesterday when I was spotting at MKE I saw several take off and land. When Great Lakes takes over the EAS cities, do you think they will end up using the B1900's in the Skyway scheme? BTW - I also saw the new Midwest Connect CRJ in person for the first time yeserday. They sure look sharp in person!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos