Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tornado82

RE: Whats Going On At PIT?

Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 149):
A D95 is a DC9-50 I am assuming, right

Correct

I do find that rather funny that the air and grounds operations would be in two different parts of the country...

Don't complain... that's the only way those jobs stayed in the 'burgh, if not they'd be in MEM. They're logistically two different operations though, and if the people were already here it wouldn't make too much sense to move it.

atlaaron

Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 pm

I do find that rather funny that the air and grounds operations would be in two different parts of the country...

Used to be two different companies right? Then FedEx brought them together?

Tornado82

Wed May 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting ATLAaron (Reply 151):

Used to be two different companies right? Then FedEx brought them together?

Correct, sir.

luketenley

Wed May 02, 2007 8:50 pm

Would be nice if they (FedEx) would expand their air ops here.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

steeler83

Thu May 03, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 153):
Would be nice if they (FedEx) would expand their air ops here.

It would be, but they have a bit operation at EWR as well... I have pretty much argued caro facilities (Moon TWP, etc) and what have you to the point of exhaustion really. Unfortunately, our opinions are not enough to pursuade anyone to think a certain way anymore. Everyone and everything... there's politics in all of that stuff, and people wonder why things are in the constant state of turbulence

But... maybe something will change... and for the better  crossfingers 
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

KPWMSpotter

Thu May 03, 2007 4:02 am

Quoting Pgh234 (Reply 148):
Thanks for the info! (or lack there of. ha) I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for PWM.

It doesn't look like PWM or MHT will be getting the non-stop to PIT this year at least. There's nothing left in the schedules regarding the flights, and when I E-Mailed US Airways, I got this response:

"At this time we do not see that a non-stop from PWM or MHT to PIT will
be operating during the summer. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Doesn't look good...oh well. I was kind of hoping for that service coming back, simply as a symbolistic return to the pre-9/11 services that were lost...
I reject your reality and substitute my own...

Flaps

Thu May 03, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 147):
Excellent. FedEx is based in MEM, but Fed Ex Ground (the old RPS) is in Moon Twp/PIT. Probably alot of O&D flyers shuttling between the 2 Fed Ex big offices helped this happen.

I worked for FedEx for 16 years. Express and Ground are two completely separate companies with very different missions. They are complementary in terms of their roles as units of the parent company, FDX. Right now there are more seats being flown PIT-MEM on NW than there were when US had the PIT hub. The two FDX subsidiaries account for the vast majority of PAX on this route. When I used to commute the options were to jumpseat or a connection via, ATL,.CVG, DTW, STL, ORD or CLT.

Tornado82

Thu May 03, 2007 9:46 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 154):
It would be, but they have a bit operation at EWR as well

Along with LCK, CLE, and the major hub in IND. They get around all over. PIT's FedEx air presence is nothing major at all. Try being at IND after about 9 or 10pm. it's a constant barrage of tri jets with purple and orange on them. When my girlfriend was ever late to pick me up (or the CLE-IND hop was 20 minutes early as most ExpressJet flights via CLE are) when I'd fly out to IND I'd be entertained watching the old girls fly.

luketenley

Mon May 14, 2007 12:15 am

Bringing this topic back to life.....

I was walking around the airport the Friday night and noticed that DL had a 737 and 757 overnighting at gates 76 and 78 respectively. Have they started the expanded service already?

N670UW

Mon May 14, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 158):
was walking around the airport the Friday night and noticed that DL had a 737 and 757 overnighting at gates 76 and 78 respectively. Have they started the expanded service already?

The 737-800 goes to CVG in the morning and the 757 arrives from ATL in the evening and returns the next morning.

However, the 738 will be downgraded to a CRJ-700 + CRJ-200 soon and the 757 is will only be in PIT for the next few weeks.

PITSpeedbird

Mon May 14, 2007 7:22 am

I had heard rumors in the past of a middle eastern airline - perhaps emirates?? opening up a "US" hub
at PIT.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

vega

Mon May 14, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 160):
I had heard rumors in the past of a middle eastern airline - perhaps emirates?? opening up a "US" hub
at PIT.

Right, immediately after Qantas starts PIT-SYD non-stop.  sarcastic 
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

luketenley

Mon May 14, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 160):
at PIT.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

PITSpeedbird

I haven't heard any rumors about this yet. I seriously doubt this will happen. We need some international flights but no need for a international hub at PIT unless some carrier starts adding TONS of flights to feed them.