jaysit
Topic Author

Jet Airways New F, J & Y Classes

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:17 am

www.jetairways.com

The First Class is very similar to Emirates A340-500 First Class but "classier" (for lack of a better word). The Jet product is stylish and understated without the tacky bling bling that Emirates provides with its white pleather, backstage dressing room lights and the like. The J Class is similar to the aisle access product that VS, AC and NZ provide. The Y also looks pretty good.

New uniforms evoke Lufthansa of the 1970s with the yellow, but with an Indian collarless Nehru jacket inspired touch for both male and female FAs.

Krug champagne in First.

[Edited 2007-04-16 17:34:20]
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AI120

RE: Jet Airways New F, J & Y Classes

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:20 am

You can take a look at the new products on their revamped website: www.jetairways.com

BigTom

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:59 am

Looks like a first class product in all classes. Way to go 9W!

Cheers

trvyyz

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 am

Excellent!
I hope they make it to YYZ soon.

Concorde001

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:22 am

Simply Wonderful!  Wink

kiramakora

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:26 am

It looks really really good. F class product is just incredible and not too "bling bling" like EK and EY.

bringiton

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:32 am

Great looking seats , love the seats in economy class...

sshank

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:40 am

F and J look very classy and comparable to the best out there currently. The slimline Y seats dont look too comfortable - I guess there is not much one can do here and yet maintain the seat density that Y demands. Presumably the hope is that the IFE will do the needful and keep people occupied.

Now if they would just go ahead and join an alliance - else they have no hope of getting any non India based business travelers.

Quoting Jaysit (Thread starter):
The First Class is very similar to Emirates A340-500 First Class but "classier" (for lack of a better word). The Jet product is stylish and understated without the tacky bling bling that Emirates provides with its white pleather, backstage dressing room lights and the like. The J Class is similar to the aisle access product that VS, AC and NZ provide. The Y also looks pretty good.

New uniforms evoke Lufthansa of the 1970s with the yellow, but with an Indian collarless Nehru jacket inspired touch for both male and female FAs.

Krug champagne in First.

kiramakora

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 7):
Now if they would just go ahead and join an alliance - else they have no hope of getting any non India based business travelers.

I disagree with this assessment. EK, QR, and EY successfully penetrated the premium markets without joining an alliance. 9W is following the same model. The only people who will not be using 9W (INMO) are mid-class and lower-mid level managers who are obsessed with their miles. I dont think 9W is going for this market.

Concorde001

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 7):

I disagree. Just look at EY, EK, VS and many others. Also don't forget 9W has a number of frequent flyer agreements in place already which allow miles to be earned by 9W members on the following airlines (except BA) and vice versa (BA included).

Air France
Austrian Airlines
British Airways
Gulf Air
KLM
Lufthansa
Northwest Airlines
Qantas
South African Airways
SWISS
THAI

Nimish

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:20 am

The economy seats and controls look similar, yet better, than the new SQ economy product (including the fully QWERTY keyboard on the hand held controller). Touch screen on the IFE is a great improvement and I think their "netted" leg rest is likely to be very comfortable as well. I hope they increase the pitch from 9W's miserly 28 or 30" (or at least that's what it seems like on their domestic flights).

I think 9W has the potential to beat SQ with this product and their normally superb service standards. Good luck to 9W!
Incredible India!

vtnyc

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:30 am

Is it just me on this thread that won't have the 10K for a round trip to India on their premium product!!!!!
Or are we all prompted by the familiar play ground refrain of having the millionaire uncle??

VT-NYC
First Flight, PA001 DEL-FRA-LHR-JFK; Dream- JFK-COK on a B6 787

1stfl94

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:51 am

Looks very nice, even the economy doesn't look too bad

9MMAR

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:53 am

Great news on MH's future 'partner'. Congratulation 9W!

Nimish

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting VTNYC (Reply 11):
Is it just me on this thread that won't have the 10K for a round trip to India on their premium product!!!!!
Or are we all prompted by the familiar play ground refrain of having the millionaire uncle??

Not just you - I've also looked only at the Y product  Smile

That being said, the best person to pay for an F/J ticket is one's employer - I hope my employer eventually approves at least J travel  Smile
Incredible India!

sshank

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:59 am

Not sure if you travel much - but while you may indeed be able to fill F seasonally with people who dont care about miles and FF program (and not constrained by corporate contracts and such), bulk of international business class is usually filled by the mid-level managers who do care about the program. Most business travelers do not care about the miles per se - they have a ton of these at any time, its about collecting Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) that helps you retain tier status for the next year. Here is where random partnerships with other airlines are of no use - these only give you redeemable miles (which is of limited/no value), only miles on alliance partner count for EQMs. While I am a big fan of 9W, it will take more than just a good product to crack the China - US market.

Quoting Kiramakora (Reply 8):
I disagree with this assessment. EK, QR, and EY successfully penetrated the premium markets without joining an alliance. 9W is following the same model. The only people who will not be using 9W (INMO) are mid-class and lower-mid level managers who are obsessed with their miles. I dont think 9W is going for this market.

kiramakora

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 15):
Not sure if you travel much - but while you may indeed be able to fill F seasonally with people who dont care about miles and FF program (and not constrained by corporate contracts and such), bulk of international business class is usually filled by the mid-level managers who do care about the program. Most business travelers do not care about the miles per se - they have a ton of these at any time, its about collecting Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) that helps you retain tier status for the next year. Here is where random partnerships with other airlines are of no use - these only give you redeemable miles (which is of limited/no value), only miles on alliance partner count for EQMs. While I am a big fan of 9W, it will take more than just a good product to crack the China - US market.

I travel so much that I actually have a hard time remembering that I do own a flat somewhere in India. I am well aware of the concept of EQMs or MQM (for DL flyers) or any other elite qualifying concept. 9W has its own such program as well. If premium passengers were so captivated by elite qualifying miles, why do they chose EK, EY, QR, etc.? The concept of elite benefits is most important in North America and for low to mid-level managers. You forget, the rest of us just fly J or F and get said benefits  Smile.

flybyguy

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:10 am

Speaking as a person unfamiliar with India, is Jet Airways generally more expensive than Air India on any given route? Considering the rather low rating Air India gets on Epinions.com and other sites, perhaps Jet Airways is an airline that India's middle and upper classes patronize?
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

kiramakora

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:14 am

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 17):
Speaking as a person unfamiliar with India, is Jet Airways generally more expensive than Air India on any given route? Considering the rather low rating Air India gets on Epinions.com and other sites, perhaps Jet Airways is an airline that India's middle and upper classes patronize?

Like any other airline, 9W competes based on the routing. On some heavily competitive sectors, I have seen 9W prices to be on par with their domestic rivals. 9W (thus far) only competes with AI on flights to LHR, and in limited ways to BKK, SIN, and KUL. I am pretty sure that given 9W's image, many would pay a premium to flying AI or any other airline. Of course, those who are entirely beholden to their FFP, will decide accordingly.

B742

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:07 am

Looks very nice indeed.

Will this be unique to the 9W 777s only, or will/have the newer A330's got this interior?

I wish someday 9W would join SkyTeam along with MH  cloudnine 

Rob!  wave 

sshank

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:47 am

Since you travel "so much", you will no doubt know that the US - China F/J market is heavily trafficked by US based "mid-level managers" and other business folk who will through corporate contracts and/or through FF loyalties be closely tied to the US carriers. And without their business 9W will gain no traction in this sector. To assume that 9W, with no name recognition in either markets, will walk away with premium traffic in this sector is fantasy.

Quoting Kiramakora (Reply 16):
I travel so much that I actually have a hard time remembering that I do own a flat somewhere in India. I am well aware of the concept of EQMs or MQM (for DL flyers) or any other elite qualifying concept. 9W has its own such program as well. If premium passengers were so captivated by elite qualifying miles, why do they chose EK, EY, QR, etc.? The concept of elite benefits is most important in North America and for low to mid-level managers. You forget, the rest of us just fly J or F and get said benefits .

kiramakora

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 20):
Since you travel "so much", you will no doubt know that the US - China F/J market is heavily trafficked by US based "mid-level managers" and other business folk who will through corporate contracts and/or through FF loyalties be closely tied to the US carriers. And without their business 9W will gain no traction in this sector. To assume that 9W, with no name recognition in either markets, will walk away with premium traffic in this sector is fantasy.

Again, EK-EY-VS-QR did just that - in fact they had the audacity to take away traffic from the Europe - Oceania sector. During those days, those airlines did not have the name recognition either.

jaysit
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 am

You're mostly right.

But the carriers operating on the Shanghai-US sector are either lousy Chinese carriers or even lousier US carriers. And many a time have I heard people travelling to China bemoan the fact that neither CX nor SQ fly directly to China from the US. So, there is a demand for better service, and we all know that neither NW nor Air China are going to provide it.

Jet may not capture a majority of the market, but through clever advertising locally in the Shanghai and SF market, it can gain traction. Its not going to happen overnight, and of course, it would happen much faster were Jet to be part of an alliance with a US carrier, but it may happen. Clearly, the road is an uphill one, but it was too for SQ and EK and VS and all the other service oriented carriers.

CaliAtenza

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:23 am

oh wow that first looks amazing...wood paneling and that wooden door looks very sweet.

LH459

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 am

This is an absolutely outstanding product! I can hardly wait for Jet to come to SFO!
I have some clients who fall into the mileage-obsessed middle management category. Their loyalty isn't as fanatical as you might think, and if the price is right, they (and their companies) will definitely jump! As Jaysit pointed out, this will be the best product bar-none in the US-PVG market. CA's upgraded premium products look good, but I doubt if they can match 9W's service level.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

AKLDELNonstop

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:43 am

I think its time to update the lousy 3 star ranking that 9W gets on skytrax. Definitely not indicative of its service and current offering.

BTW I am not able to access 9Ws link where the seats are shown for some reason. Have others been facing this problem. IE crashes when I click on the link and Firefox opens the template but doesnt show anything.

Cheers

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:44 am

Premiere looks like the seats VS/AC/DL/NZ have installed; are they the same vendor?
E pur si muove -Galileo

jaysit
Topic Author

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting LH459 (Reply 24):
CA's upgraded premium products look good, but I doubt if they can match 9W's service level.

Is that China Airlines you're referring to? If so, they operate the Taipei-SFO route.

I've flown several mainland China (PRC) carriers (Air China, China Eastern, Shenzhen Airlines) and they are universally ghastly. China Eastern was the best of the lot. On Air China, all the food in Business Class came wrapped in saran wrap. However, the crew on all Chinese carriers were friendly (if a bit giggly). And the Chinglish translations in the Inflight magazines is a joy to read. Provides for hours of fun.

Vasu

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:21 am

It probably a daft question, but where is this on the site? I can't find it...

AKLDELNonstop

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 28):

I was struggling as well. Well you need to goto the site and on the mainpage click on view our new first class etc etc and it opens up a template. Also use IE, it doesn't seem to work with Firefox.

Cheers

kaitak744

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:55 am

I bet the guys at Singapore Airlines are pissed. They can no longer boast that they have the largest LCD screens in first, business, and economy.

ardian

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 26):

Yes.

The First Class looks amazing! This is the F-class in terms of colors/fabrics/materials/design EK should've gone for when they were the first airline offering those suits with sliding doors. It looks very classy, sophisticated and elegant!

flyingdoctorwu

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:33 pm

Did you see the part under premiere class and dining..

Peruse our new menu whilst sipping Dom Perignon Champagne....

Seems that they are offering Dom and Krug in 1st class and Just Dom in business- any other airlines
offer Dom in business class?

chris

legacyins

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 27):
Is that China Airlines you're referring to? If so, they operate the Taipei-SFO route.

No, he is talking about Air China (CA). Yes, they have upgraded their business/First class product. I am a regular flier on CA 986/985 out of SFO.

CA will not really compete with 9W on the SFO-PVG rote. All CA flights from SFO go to PEK first. You then transfer to another aircraft for the flight down to PVG.

Nimish

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 30):
I bet the guys at Singapore Airlines are pissed. They can no longer boast that they have the largest LCD screens in first, business, and economy

More than pissed is my guess, especially with 9W launching SFO services. SQ's SIN-SFO services is so full of pax from India, a move like this will certainly have a major impact. However I'm sure the boffins at SQ will come up with some further innovations to match 9W. They still have time before the launch of the 380!
Incredible India!

sshank

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:06 pm

I initially thought you were joking when you brought up the EK Europe - Oceania example. I presume your worldwide travels have taken you to DXB, SIN and other hubs of the premium carriers you like to list, and I presume BOM is just as pleasurable for connecting passengers? Would any one with the means to buy a F/J ticket want to connect at BOM?

People dont mind taking EK doing Europe - Oz for example because the price is right, and EX runs an excellent hub at DXB. I do not see a parallel here. Like many here, I am a big fan of 9W, but lets not get carried away. 9W has the potential to be another SQ, but there is a long way to go.

Quoting Kiramakora (Reply 21):

Again, EK-EY-VS-QR did just that - in fact they had the audacity to take away traffic from the Europe - Oceania sector. During those days, those airlines did not have the name recognition either.

kiramakora

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting Sshank (Reply 35):
I initially thought you were joking when you brought up the EK Europe - Oceania example. I presume your worldwide travels have taken you to DXB, SIN and other hubs of the premium carriers you like to list, and I presume BOM is just as pleasurable for connecting passengers? Would any one with the means to buy a F/J ticket want to connect at BOM?

9W is not selling itself as a hub carrier and promoting hub Bombay so I do not understand your parallel. As I have mentioned, all I am saying is that FFP loyalty is not the defining reason for an airline to succeed. Look at those who have made it (again my examples), and more importantly look at premium traffic trend of 9W's own LHR service viz-a-viz the competition.

One other thing, I personally dont think DXB is that pleasant of a connection point.

Nimish

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:43 pm

While 9W will do well on these sectors - that's because of their premium product and brand loyalty within India. There are enough domestic gold/platinums who currently need to use other airlines to fly to SFO/ NYC/ YYZ - who can now stick to 9W.

That being said, there are also sufficient number of *A or Skyteam golds/platinums worldwide, who have plenty of options/upgrade vouchers/status to worry about - that 9W will be a second choice for them.

And I think in the global scale, the number of *A or Skyteam golds will far outnumber 9W's golds. When 9W needs to fill a single daily flight, they should have no problem. But by the time they're operating say 10 daily services to the US, this kind of stuff is going to make a difference - both to the loads and the yields.
Incredible India!

VTJAL

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 pm

It is quite nice to see all this change for the better...hope the airline does something for its employees too.........they are in a bad shape,highly demotivated, heavily overworked and grossly underpaid..

karan69

Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:50 pm

Quoting Kaitak744 (Reply 30):
I bet the guys at Singapore Airlines are pissed. They can no longer boast that they have the largest LCD screens in first, business, and economy.

Not quite---EY and if all goes well AI will also be offering 23 inch monitors in F class

Karan

snehnath

Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:03 pm

Now if only 9W would be more generous with their frequent flyer miles. I flew LHR-BOM on a discounted economy and earned only 868 miles. While their service is outstanding, miles are still reason enough for me to fly a *A airline out BOM to the USA.

Nimish

Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 pm

9W's Economy class press release:

From: http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/aviation/200704162570.htm

Quote:
As part of comprehensive plans to prepare for the airline’s major thrust into International markets Jet Airways today unveiled a revolutionary Economy class seat.
As the launch customer for Recaro, Jet Airways will be the first airline in the world to install this new economy seat with a seat pitch of 32”. It has been designed using the science of advanced ergonomics to create arguably the most comfortable economy seat in the sky.

Unlike conventional airline seats, as the backrest reclines, the Jet Airways seat moves forward to create a recline angle of 130 degrees, and an ergonomically correct seating position, reducing sinew, joint and muscle tensions. In addition, a hammock style head rest cradles and supports the head and neck, whilst a net suspended below the seat in front provides support for feet and ankles.

The new Jet Airways Ergonomic seat is constructed on a single cross beam, substantially increasing personal space for economy class passengers.

A personal reading light and on demand In-Flight Entertainment allow Jet Airways economy passengers to have complete control of their entertainment options including the ability to create more than 200 audio play lists from a Juke Box application. Every passenger will also have access to over 200 hours of Hollywood and Bollywood movies, Regional films, and Television and short programs.

Sounds like a great improvement from the current 9W economy seats used on the domestic routes.. But I'm skeptical about the 130 degree recline in Y...

From Recaro's website: http://www.recaro-as.com/ras/product...s/longrange/cl-3610/index.html?L=1

Quote:
The CL3610 is a premium economy class seat engineered for "super" long haul flights. One of the qualities which makes this seat so "unique" is it's single beam frame that enables passengers to enjoy more living space. This new single beam innovation, along wtih a new ergonomically designed kinematic, offers seat adjustment options that were previously unavailable in economy class. When a passenger changes the angle of the backrest (recline) the saet bottom kinematic automaticaly moves the saet into an ergonomically correct position. Other comfort features include a hammock headrest, new "foot net" which gives added support to people who like to sleep on their side, etc.
Incredible India!

yago

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:30 pm

Am I the only one having problems with their site?

It's impossible to see their route map and when I click to see their new classes I only see the top half of the flash illustration  Sad

CXfirst

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:42 pm

Quoting Yago (Reply 42):

It's impossible to see their route map and when I click to see their new classes I only see the top half of the flash illustration

the window never seems to stop loading for me. Think we overused the site, and now they are having problems!

-CXfirst

Nimish

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:01 pm

Quoting Yago (Reply 42):

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 43):
the window never seems to stop loading for me. Think we overused the site, and now they are having problems!

This this link (only in IE): http://www.jetairways.com/msib21/Fro...default/flash/jet_flash/flash.html

The site is definitely dog slow. But it did load after a couple of minutes of appearing blank. It did not load in Firefox.
Incredible India!

yago

Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:07 pm

The problem is that I haven't got IE.

And it doesn't show in Firefox, Opera and Safari  Sad

Nobody has pictures of their new First class or nobody can save the flash presentation?

Gr8Circle

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 17):
perhaps Jet Airways is an airline that India's middle and upper classes patronize?

Inspite of the recent boom in air travel and mushrooming of new airlines, flying in India is still a privilege of the upper middle class and the rich....so we can't distinguish that way....

But yes, the more discerning travellers definitely prefer to travel on 9W. Also, a lot of govt. officers, who frequently fly around on 'work', prefer to fly by 9W rather than on the govt. owned IC.... smile 

ag92

Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting B742 (Reply 19):
9W 777s only, or will/have the newer A330's got this interior?

The new business class will be on the Airbus 330-200, but there is no sign stating the new first class on the A330. I think I can assume the Airbus 330 will be a J/Y only, while the 777 will have F/J/Y

Quoting Yago (Reply 42):

It's impossible to see their route map and when I click to see their new classes I only see the top half of the flash illustration

Use IE. I also had troubles with firefox

The seats look amazing.

Regards
Ag92

yago

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:17 am

Problem is that I have a Mac and the site does not work with the IE version available for Mac  Sad

I want to see these new products too  hissyfit 

With KLM, Jet Airways is my favourite airline...

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Legacyins (Reply 33):
CA will not really compete with 9W on the SFO-PVG rote.

Is 9W really launching this flight? How will they get the rights for it? What about PVG/India? Isn't that a bilateral mess?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos