MEACEDAR
Topic Author

EK Will Begin Dubai-Venice

Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:45 pm

EK will begin DXB-Venice on July 1st, 2007 on M, T, T, S, and S. In September 2007 it will be changed to a daily flight. The service between Venice and Dubai will be operated with an Airbus A330-200 offering 27 Business class seats, and 251 Economy.

http://www.skywards.com/News_Detail.aspx?ID=tcm:136-201622

detroitflyer

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:14 pm

i honestly do not see how this route will work......comon!! get real

i think EK is trying to expand to much too quickly and sooner or later they are doomed to fail, or loose reiculous amounts of money!!!
Boiler Up!!!

nickofatlanta

Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:39 pm

You'd be surprised at how many business travellers live in VCE's catchment area. DL makes flights to JFK and ATL work. With the power of the DXB hub, you never know ... I agree though that a smaller entrance may have been better.

LurveBus

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting Nickofatlanta (Reply 2):
a smaller entrance may have been better.

For EK, the A332 is a small entrance.  Smile I'm sure that the DXB hub is more than capable of filling those planes up.

EmiratesCPH

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 pm

I can not understand how they can postpone CPH twice and the starting up VCE???
Fly Emirates

TYCOON

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 pm

For those people who think Venice is only that Disneylandesque tourist city, I can see why you may think it can't work. On the other hand, those in the know know that the Venice area is one of the richest and most industrial areas in all of Italy, so the catchment area is highly attractive for any airline (hence the DL flights direct to NYC and a number of other flights). AF for instance has 6 daily flights between CDG and VCE year-round and that is not just for carrying tourists!

keno

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting TYCOON (Reply 5):
those in the know know that the Venice area is one of the richest and most industrial areas in all of Italy, so the catchment area is highly attractive for any airline

Some figures...

1,600,000 - total population of Venice-Padova metropolitan area
272,000 - total population of Comune di Venezia
211,000 - total population of Comune di Padova
62,000 - population of principal Venice island
31,000 - population of other islands in Venice lagoon

PavlovsDog

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Venice is only an hour or two driving to an area with over 10 million wealthy people and a lot of successful corporations. For much of Northern Italy Venice is more more easily accessible than Milano Malapensa.

HUYfan

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:53 pm

This news was out AGES ago, why don't people check first!

Regards

Mike

Qatara340

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting Detroitflyer (Reply 1):

i think EK is trying to expand to much too quickly and sooner or later they are doomed to fail, or loose reiculous amounts of money!!!

EK will NOT venture on a market it did not study beforehand its risks, advantages and disadvantages.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

Emirates029

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 pm

Has EK ever cancelled a route after launching it?

HUYfan

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:49 pm

Baku
Bandar Abbas
Ho Chi Minh City

Regards

Mike

BlueElephant

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 pm

This route will work, But you have to understand, that
A. Dubai is an incredible Hub due mostly because of its location in the world.

B. EK is not only targeting the Business Travelers who live and work in the area. But also are targeting the millions of tourists that travel from the far east, south asia and the Indian Subcontinent, not to mention Australia.

With not many current options into VCE, this will be a great route for EK.

easyas321

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:42 pm

If only EK would introduce a nonstop BNE/DXB !!! Still it'll be the best way from BNE to VCE even if have to stop in SIN & DXB.

VCE can be quite diffuclt to get to from Australia. Who wants to go via LHR or ROM & MXP is still a few hours thru Italian traffic & who wants to hire a car. You don't need one in Venice.

BBADXB

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:43 pm

EK also cancelled their service to the Comoros years ago. (It was combined with JNB).

BBADXB

rootsair

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting EmiratesCPH (Reply 4):
I can not understand how they can postpone CPH twice and the starting up VCE???

once again EK's excuse not to serve GVA because of shortage of a/c is more and more ridiculous!
If they can serve VCE then why not GVA : Nevertheless here we have EY which I undesrrtand is a better airline than EK :::

airplane   wave 
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

airblue

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm

The reason why EK will start VCE-DXB is very simple.

VCE catchment area offer a huge numbero of both business and leisure traffic. AZ will loose it because this traffic flies mainly through FRA, MUC, AMS e CDG.

LH has 6 daily VCE-FRA, some scheduled A321, but sometime you could see also the AB6. A large part of this traffic goes to Asia. In the past there was also a 2 weekly non stop VCE-PVG operated by Blue Panorama with B763.

So EK has a huge Asian network. It will be very easy for them to fill this flight.

Don't forget EK flies to Italy also to MXP and FCO, both daily, but FCO is 3 weekly to/from NCE and 4 weekly through MXP. MXP is only 3 weekly non stop and 4 weekly mixed with FCO as a triangle DXB-FCO-MXP-DXB.

Qatara340

RE: EK DUBAI-VENICE

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 11):
Baku
Bandar Abbas
Ho Chi Minh City

Ek never launched Ho Chi Minh, Bandar Abbas in the first place!

UAEflyer

RE: EK Will Begin Dubai-Venice

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 10):
Has EK ever cancelled a route after launching it?

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 17):
Ek never launched Ho Chi Minh, Bandar Abbas in the first place!

checkmark 

Canceling any route doesn't mean the airline is in trouble, the trouble is if you are losing from sector and continuing operating it, so canceling in such situation is a smart move. Look at Gulf Air i read in a local newspaper that they are losing $1 million every 24 hours.

behramjee

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:55 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 17):
Ek never launched Ho Chi Minh

EK did indeed fly to Ho Chi Minh City in the mid 1990s.

I think Bandar Abbas was flown to using a B 727 in the early 90s if Im not mistaken.

Quoting Airblue (Reply 16):
So EK has a huge Asian network. It will be very easy for them to fill this flight.

indeed  Smile ...EU carriers offering VCE-Asia flights via their hubs can expect stiff competition from EK.

jacobin777

RE: EK DUBAI-VENICE

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:05 am

that's what people were saying about JFK a few years ago..now its 3x/daily!
"Up the Irons!"

HUYfan

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:50 am

QatarA340

Maybe you should stick to the Qatari thread before you go making false statements.

Regards

Mike

Viscount724

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 15):
once again EK's excuse not to serve GVA because of shortage of a/c is more and more ridiculous! If they can serve VCE then why not GVA : Nevertheless here we have EY

With EY and KU in GVA, and soon QR, not sure whether the GVA market is big enough for EK also. GF also operated to GVA a few years ago but didn't stay long. Five other carriers from the Middle East region also serve GVA (IR, LY, ME, MS, RJ).

I've heard that KU would like to drop GVA since it's unprofitable but the Kuwait government apparently provides a special subsidy to KU to keep the route operating.

behramjee

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:20 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 22):
I've heard that KU would like to drop GVA since it's unprofitable but the Kuwait government apparently provides a special subsidy to KU to keep the route operating.

GVA performs poorly for KU overall but flights are full in all 3 cabin classes in the summer season only and in the summer an extra weekly flight is also added for GVA as demand is vvv high.

The KU Govt and Royal family have a lot of vested interests in GVA hence that route has been maintained for a while now.

Viscount724

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting Behramjee (Reply 23):
The KU Govt and Royal family have a lot of vested interests in GVA hence that route has been maintained for a while now.

Yes, the Kuwait government VIP fleet are also frequent visitors to GVA, in basic KU livery except for "State of Kuwait" instead of "Kuwait Airways" identification.

Qatara340

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting HUYfan (Reply 21):
QatarA340

Maybe you should stick to the Qatari thread before you go making false statements.

Regards

Mike

Mike, which Qatari thread are you talking about? What does my mistake in innocorectly mentioning previous EK destinations have to do with reviewing Qatari threads beforehand?

JoeCattoli

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:17 am

I just wonder how people can be that ridiculously sure this route won't work... as somebody already mentioned there is a huge catchment area around Venice business and economy, there are thousand of backpackers like me that are going to use it, I will most probably be one of them because I have to go to New Zealand by November and I have already miles with skywards, till now for big flights all the northeast part of Italy had to connect in Milan or Rome (as I did) and you'll see this route will be an incredible money-maker for our EK friends.
Time will tell

Ciao  wave 
Joe

nycfly75

Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:08 am

Qatar Airways is also supposed to start Venice-Doha in 2008 according to the italian general manager of the carrier.

USADreamliner

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Typical response. Some people think that only an american city may work.
Stop Venice and start flying to Detroit, Ha,ha!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos