SkyvanMan
Topic Author

DUS Transfer Info

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:15 pm

I'll be flying LAX-DUS on LTU next month and will be connecting to DUS-CDG on AF and am wondering how the airport is set up. Will I have to go and claim my bag and then check in for Air France? Wwill I have to go in and out of security? What is there to do at the airport? Anyways I'd appreciate answers to all these questions and if anyone is wondering I booked both flights through LTU so they are on the same reference number (for Amadeus).
Thanks
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

Someone83

RE: DUS Transfer Info

Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:32 pm

As you should be able to check your luggage all the way through to CDG would you not have to go and claim your bagage. Don't think you would need to go through security either. But, you would anyway have to go through passport control in DUS, but not in CDG as you enter the EU in DUS.

ACDC8

Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 pm

I don't believe that DUS has connecting facilities, so ...

You'll most likely be arriving at Pier C in DUS, once you deplane, you'll go through passport control, once through, continue down the hall to the baggage claim area. If your bags are not checked through (I don't know if LT and AF interline), pick them up here and continue out the doors. There are customs agents at the doors that do random checks. Even if your bags are checked through, you have to exit through the same doors. Also, if you do not have a boarding pass for your AF flight (again, I'm not sure with LT and AF), take the elevator to the departures level, the AF check-in area is located in the central area by the big escalators. Your AF flight will most likely leave from Pier B, where you have to go through another security check.

How much time do you have in DUS? If you have the time, the airport offers you 2 observation decks. The closest one is on the roof of the main terminal, just take the big escalators in the central terminal up to the top, you can't miss it. There is also a small aviation shop there. The other observation (and my favourite) is located at the train station. Just follow the signs to the SkyTrain (located towards the exits between sections C-B and B-A of the terminal). The monorail is free of charge and will take you directly to the airport train station. The cost is 2€ for both observation decks and are good all day.

There are also various restaurants and shops in the terminal. DUS is a great airport, it's really changed since it was rebuilt after the fire in 1996. Enjoy your trip!

Quoting SkyvanMan (Thread starter):
booked both flights through LTU so they are on the same reference number (for Amadeus).

Just out of curiosity, how did you get an AF flight with LT? Most of their cnx flights (at least in the past) were through LH.

EDIT: Just a note on the SkyTrain, sometimes it's not working, so you have to take a shuttle bus to the train station. Just go back down to the arrivals area, go outside and it'll be signed out.

More info:
http://www.duesseldorf-international...x&path=04_infos_service/lageplaene

[Edited 2007-04-20 09:49:24]

[Edited 2007-04-20 09:52:46]
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

cgnnrw

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:38 pm

I agree with ACDC8 - DUS is quite easy to navigate. Its a nice airport. Both obrservation decks offer great views. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather.The €2,-- entrance fee also covers the ride on the Skytrain. I never seen anyone controlling tickets on it but one never knows. As far as shopping goes, don't expect too much. The usual offerings of book/newspaper shops, a few clothing stores, an electronic store, pharmacy and of course the inevitable Starbucks  yuck , you'll pass it on your way to the oberservation deck in the main terminal. Enjoy your trip!
A330 man.

jog

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
The monorail is free of charge

Although I have not yet seen someone checking it, it is not free of charge. However, a ticket for the observation deck is accepted as a valid ticket. For more details see the mentioned website at http://www.duesseldorf-international...ckpath=04_infos_service/lageplaene

EDIT: Cgnnrw, you were a bit faster but its nice to see that our experiences and information match each other...

[Edited 2007-04-20 13:46:50]

ushermittwoch

Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Well, I think that LTU kinda works together with SkyTeam at the moment since they offer some interline with Delta in the US.

Anyway, DUS is easy to get around. And it also used to be the case that a valid ticket entitles you to a free ride in the SkyTrain, if it is operational.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Someone83

Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
I don't believe that DUS has connecting facilities, so ...

Yes they do, I've flown via DUS a couple times, either LHR-DUS-OSL or CPH-DUS-VIE and have never had to collect bagage or pass through security (except arriving from CPH, but that was because CPH for 6mth was classified as a "dirty" airport after they failed a security inspection)

ACDC8

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting Jog (Reply 4):
Although I have not yet seen someone checking it, it is not free of charge. However, a ticket for the observation deck is accepted as a valid ticket.

Airline tickets, DB tickets, bus tickets and parking garage tickets are also valid, so more or less, it is free ...  Wink

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 6):
Yes they do, I've flown via DUS a couple times, either LHR-DUS-OSL or CPH-DUS-VIE and have never had to collect bagage or pass through security (except arriving from CPH, but that was because CPH for 6mth was classified as a "dirty" airport after they failed a security inspection)

Did you switch piers? If you are flying, as an example with LH all the way through you do not have to do anything, just go straight to the gate as it would be in the same pier, your itineraries also did not require passport control (with the exception of LHR). As far as I know, DUS doesn't have anyway for you to switch piers without going landside.

Just a couple of shots from the observation decks ....

Terminal ....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tommy Desmet
View Large View Medium

Photo © Danny Gans

Train station ....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Markus Willmann
View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Jeandy

Also, if the aircraft are arriving/departing from the west (RWY 05L/R), I wouldn't even bother with the observation deck at the train station. Most arriving aircraft turn off the runway before and most departing aircraft are already climbing.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

Rivet42

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:48 pm

Did you buy the flights as one ticket, or as two completely separate tickets? If the former, then you'll likely be able to check in at LAX all the way through to CDG. You will still need to go through immigration control, as DUS will be your entry point to the Schengen group of European countries, and your flight to CDG will then be treated as a domestic service (France & Germany are both in 'Schengen', which basically means no border controls between signatory countries).

Whether or not you are checked all the way through to CDG, it's still worth going out beyond customs, so that you can make the most of the roof terrace (assuming you have time). Welcome to a very spotter-friendly airport (as indeed they all are in Germany).

PhiL P
I travel, therefore I am.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos