yycramprat
Topic Author

Question About BA's New Club World

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:03 am

So I was checking out the following picture and something occured to me:

https://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1201503&size=L

If you're sitting in one of the inside seats (Middle 2) and the person in the aisle seat decides to fully recline their seat and go to sleep. How do you get out of your seat if you need to without:

A. Waking them up and asking them to move, or

B. Climbing over them.

Or is everyone expected to follow the same sort of schedule when it comes to needing to get up and stretch or go to the lav?

DavidT

RE: Question About BA's New Club World

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:23 am

As with the old CW layout, if you are in a middle/window seat and the person who is sitting in the seat which provides yoru exit has fully reclined and put the foot stool up, you need to climb over their feet.

Knightsofmalta

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:31 am

What I was wondering about were the colours. It's horrible with the boring pale gray plastic. One would have thought BA could have come up with something better.

8herveg

Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 2):
What I was wondering about were the colours. It's horrible with the boring pale gray plastic. One would have thought BA could have come up with something better.

I was thinking exactly the same. Although the actual seat is wider etc.. and the service will be better than previous, I really wish they would have stuck with more of the navy blue colour as before. Looks very boring. The blue was so smart, especially contrasting against the grey overhead bins and windows!

yycramprat
Topic Author

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting DavidT (Reply 1):
As with the old CW layout, if you are in a middle/window seat and the person who is sitting in the seat which provides yoru exit has fully reclined and put the foot stool up, you need to climb over their feet.

Thanks for the answer. Not actually seeing one in person I was a little confused there for a bit.

I can understand the logic behind the economics of it (more seats than a herringbone design) but from a customer comfort (ease of mobility) and a safety issue (evacuation if the seat is reclined) it really dosn't make much sense.

LHR777

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting YYCRampRat (Reply 4):
I can understand the logic behind the economics of it (more seats than a herringbone design) but from a customer comfort (ease of mobility) and a safety issue (evacuation if the seat is reclined) it really dosn't make much sense.

In the event of an evacuation, the aircraft would be on the ground, so the seats would be in the take-off/landing position and the footrests would be stowed. Additionally, in the event of an evacuation, surely the aisle-seat passengers would also evacuate?

Knightsofmalta

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:24 am

I don't know what it is with airlines and the colour grey. Perhaps you don't see the dirt som much with grey. Lufthansa's European aircraft have an even darker, more revolting shade of grey.

flyswim

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:26 am

and is the seating in a tete a tete formation? (facing each other?) or do the seats rotate or something?

COEI2007

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:28 am

I'm sure its annoying if you get stuck in a window seat, and the guy next to you reclines, and sleeps, then you suddenly get the urge to pee!!!! The only thing is, a lot of people will request windows, and just sleep for most of the flight! I for one, need an aisle so I can wander around! Its my inate curiosity, born from being an airline geek!

BA380

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:27 am

I have never understood the complaint about the exiting from the seat....

virtually every other airline's business class (apart from Etihad, VS and the airlines that have licenced VS's product) have the same issue. If on a 'normal' airline's business class, you want to get out from the window seat, you still have to climb over the aisle passenger's legs. What's more, you have to contend with the reclined seat-backs of the person in front of you and the aisle pax. This is at least as complex as BA, if not more.

Storm in a tea-cup.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

Rivet42

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting Flyswim (Reply 7):
and is the seating in a tete a tete formation? (facing each other?) or do the seats rotate or something?

Here is a link to the BA Club World seating plans...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/seatcwfb/public/en_gb

The window seats are all backward facing.

PhiL P
I travel, therefore I am.

highpeaklad

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting Rivet42 (Reply 10):
The window seats are all backward facing

Except the A seats on the 767 which face forward.
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

scbriml

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 11):
Except the A seats on the 767 which face forward.

Are the 767s getting the new CW seats? They don't have the old ones.

Stepping over someone's feet when fully reclined is not that big of a deal. As others have pointed out, it's actually easier than with business seats that recline, but are not flat.

IMHO, facing backwards is not an issue either. In fact, if you're travelling with someone, the alternating seats make conversation much easier. Of course, it's not quite as nice as the "buddy dining" in First. wink 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

8herveg

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 12):
Are the 767s getting the new CW seats? They don't have the old ones.

Nope they are sticking with what they have at the moment as the aircraft will be replaced in the next 5 - 10 years I would imagine.

LXA340

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:53 pm

I just have the impression that by promoting the "flat bed" experience BA wants to draw away attention that you actually sit in those seats like in a sardine can. Most people who I know that flew with the BA C class said they rather have a lie flat seat where they have space to turn and move before sleeping in some kind of sardine can. Also on al the pictures the cabin really looks crowded it doesn't even look to comfortable.

lovinitflyboy

Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting Knightsofmalta (Reply 2):

I have to say that this picture does not do the cabin any Justis! The cabin has been done is soft browns and a mocha colour, there are wall and ceiling mounted lights and even some wooden wall hangings, which give the cabin a really relaxed and cosy feel, More like the lounge that the aircraft cabin and with the new pillows and blankets the whole cabin looks great. The only thing i will say that it looks great now but after a few years of been bashed with trolleys and bags, I think it will start to show it's age quite quick!

Quoting BA380 (Reply 9):
Storm in a tea-cup.

Couldn't agree more!!

B707Stu

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 13):
Nope they are sticking with what they have at the moment as the aircraft will be replaced in the next 5 - 10 years I would imagine

You can bet that BA1502/BA1503, the MAN-JFK-MAN will never be changed, especially since they finall upgraded them last year after the original "cradle" seat became so old they had to.

Quoting LXA340 (Reply 14):
I just have the impression that by promoting the "flat bed" experience BA wants to draw away attention that you actually sit in those seats like in a sardine can. Most people who I know that flew with the BA C class said they rather have a lie flat seat where they have space to turn and move before sleeping in some kind of sardine can. Also on al the pictures the cabin really looks crowded it doesn't even look to comfortable

That's how I experienced the middle seat on a 744 in Club, felt like a trapped sardine, swimming downstream against an upstream movement. Whatever goodness was available for being 'flat' was lost in the narrowness of the seat, the uncomfortability of moving it around and the hassle to other passengers when needing the looe.

I don't know why they didn't adapt something closer to the VS/NZ models which are very popular and have none of these issues.

Speedbird2155

Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:55 am

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 16):
especially since they finall upgraded them last year after the original "cradle" seat became so old they had to.

The 767 fleet was done at that time as they were the last fleet planned for the cabin refits. It wasn't because BA 'had to' and it certainly wasn't a case of the MAN-JFK route being intentionally last. Further, the MAN-JFK won't get the new cabin simply because none of the 767 fleet are getting it. So again not route specific, but down to the fleet used.

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 16):
That's how I experienced the middle seat on a 744 in Club, felt like a trapped sardine, swimming downstream against an upstream movement. Whatever goodness was available for being 'flat' was lost in the narrowness of the seat, the uncomfortability of moving it around and the hassle to other passengers when needing the looe.

I guess you never fly on American carriers and never in a window or middle seat if BA Club World is the only airline that you had a 'hassle' with. As has been mentioned before, there is very little to getting out if in a middle or window seat. It becomes an issue only if you want it to. Those airlines that have lie-flat seats or the older style business class seats will also require that you have to step over someone or be a 'hassle to other passengers' should you need to get from a window or aisle seat during the flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos