Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplanenut
Topic Author

Are Scholarships Available For Flight Training?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:27 pm

I've wanted to fly for years, and one of my summer goals this years is to earn my PPL. Unfortunately, in the Boston area, aircraft rentals are very expensive--the only airport I can access without a car has available a Piper Tomahawk for $85/hr or a Warrior or C172 for $109/hr, not including $45/hr for an instructor.

I believe I can probably scrape together the money, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships that may be available to help cover lessons. The last thing I want to do is go into any sort of debt for something that's not necessary. If it helps, I'm a 20-year-old college student (MIT) studying aeronautical engineering.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Why yes, in fact, I am a rocket scientist...

wdleiser

RE: Are Scholarships Available For Flight Training?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:23 pm

I don't really think so. I am flying at Embry Riddle and I am paying even more than you are. All you can really do is take out loans and hope your MIT AE degree brings in the big bucks so you can buy your own plane... which of course I will be happy to fly for you

CaptainTim

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:08 pm

MIT AE?

screw flying... you'll be on test flights being the flight engineer  Wink hopefully the Boeing 797 in a few years time eh  Wink

some universities have flying scholarships and some aviation clubs on a regular basis give out free flights here and there but a scholarship program all the way up to PPL? unheard of other than the cadet programmes from airlines overseas like Cathay Pacific, SQ, BA had one, QAntas...

but seriously MIT AE... i hope you'll find yourself blasting off in Florida and living in Houston hint hint?

go be an astronaut =)
Gulfstream Planeview Cockpit: "why have hundreds of buttons when a CCD does the same thing and more?"

jpdflymhtmlb

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:03 am

Yes, there are, there are places I have looked around and seen, I believe one was in the New York area a few years back...only thing that sucked about it was you had to do the training in that area...which made it not worth it. There are programs, it's a matter of looking, but don't expect to find them readily available.

Fly
Landings are just controlled crashes.

YWG

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:15 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Thread starter):
C172 for $109/hr

That's small sauce compared to. We pay something like $135/hr for a 172 that was made nearly two decades before I was born.

But in all seriousness, the major scholarships are through the military. In Canada it's the Regular Officer Training Program (ROTP). You get your university paid for, paid a salary to go to school (only about $1200/month), and during the summers your are progressively worked into the pilot stream of the forces. I know for a fact the States has the same deal, something like ROTC?
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:59 am

Sorry to say this but as a dishartened and indebt instrument student i can tell you there arent that many, their very specific, they are not much interms of money and they often are specific to one school or FBO, in other words unless your the next chuck yeager dont count on much . The few that my own school has been able to ssend me info about are usually for commercial students only. Your best bet is loans. However if you can land a good job after two or three years eeking out a barly sustainable existance working for regionals, you can start making good money at lecacy and major carriers.
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:02 am

By the way i pay 165/hr for flying piper archer III gps equiped aircraft and more for the Piper arrow, its not cheap and not easy even if you love flying like me. My PPL cost 10,000 dollars. The quoted price at schools are often FAA minimums and rarely do stundents pay the minimum. Good luck though, hope things work out for you.

airplanenut
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting CaptainTim (Reply 2):
but seriously MIT AE... i hope you'll find yourself blasting off in Florida and living in Houston hint hint?

Nah... I like commercial aviations, not rockets.

Quoting YWG (Reply 4):
You get your university paid for, paid a salary to go to school (only about $1200/month), and during the summers your are progressively worked into the pilot stream of the forces. I know for a fact the States has the same deal, something like ROTC?

The US has the Reserve Officers Training Corps, but that requires 4 years of military service minimum at the end.

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 5):
However if you can land a good job after two or three years eeking out a barly sustainable existance working for regionals, you can start making good money at lecacy and major carriers.

I just want the PPL for fun, no desire to fly commercially. I plan to go into industry.

I think I'll ask around and maybe get in touch with one of the CFIs who is tied to MIT. Perhaps they have something I can do as part time work when I'm not doing any other summer work.

SRT75

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:27 am

As a 20 year old college student studying AE, there IS one way to get a ton of free flight training:

USAF
USMC
USN

Smile

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 7):
just want the PPL for fun, no desire to fly commercially. I plan to go into industry

Oh then thats different, you should be able to work something out, a part 61 FBO is probably your best bet, im not so sure if non-career scholarships are available though, you raise some good questions, i now there are some national scholarships out there, even for non career aviation, you also might be able to work financing out with an FBO or local bank. its still expensive to get a PPL but probably not as much as what i paid. Good luck, you should be able to work some thing out. oh and one tip : fly often it might cost a lot but in the long run it will save you money because the more proficient you get the less lkely youll have to repeat a lesson, and youll likely finish quicker and pay less. Good luck!  Smile

airplanenut
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 9):
fly often it might cost a lot but in the long run it will save you money because the more proficient you get the less lkely youll have to repeat a lesson, and youll likely finish quicker and pay less. Good luck! Smile

My goal was to do the PPL in just the summer... flying 3-4 times a week if possible.

Aeroflot777

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:19 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 6):
By the way i pay 165/hr for flying piper archer III gps equiped aircraft and more for the Piper arrow, its not cheap and not easy even if you love flying like me.

I pay the same. Are you at Westminster? When you said Archer III and Arrow, I saw a striking resemblance Big grin

Piper Tomahawk for $85/hr or a Warrior or C172 for $109/hr, not including $45/hr for an instructor.

Those prices are quite cheap, compared to other places.

Aeroflot777

AA54Heavy

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:41 am

I've wanted to fly for years, and one of my summer goals this years is to earn my PPL. Unfortunately, in the Boston area, aircraft rentals are very expensive--the only airport I can access without a car has available a Piper Tomahawk for $85/hr or a Warrior or C172 for $109/hr, not including $45/hr for an instructor.

If you can hold out until you make it into the workforce and go and work for Boeing, they pay you $500 after your discovery flight and $1000 the day you get your license (and you owe them nothing). They also pay for all the ground school and gives you the opportunity to buy into the Boeing Flying Club which is ~$500 buy in, and then you have access to ~$69/hr flight time (in Seattle area) plus $90/mo (including insurance) member fee....thus, it can be a great value to you if you fly alot per month......just FYI. No benefits for instrument ratings and higher, sadly....but wonderful nonetheless....

But that's the best I can come up with that's not military related (and since you're doing MIT AE and Boeing LOVES MIT and obviously AE)
Roger that, turning to our "other" left

brettbrett21

Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:52 am

Places like Orland Flight Training and Ormond Beach offer intensive courses, PPL in 3 weeks (well JAA PPL anyway) for a lot less then what it would cost to do it ad-hoc. I'm not sure of the rates but check out their websites.

http://www.flyoft.com
http://www.flyoba.com

You obviously have to pay yourself, but still cheaper.

And oh yea.......MIT Aeronautical Engineering!?!? Well done!!
i'm so excited i wish i could wet my pants!

Acey559

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:11 am

I joined a club at my local airport and did all my primary training on a 152 for $33/hr. After that I moved up to a 172 for $55/hr and a Beech Sundowner for $58/hr. This summer I'll be learning to fly the 210 for $103/hr. All of these prices are wet, by the way. The entrance fee for the club was kind of steep, but for prices like that I told my parents that they wouldn't be able to find a plane cheaper anywhere in the area. You might want to look into a club that might have a variety of airplanes for a reasonable price.

flybyguy

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:54 am

I believe I can probably scrape together the money, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any scholarships that may be available to help cover lessons. The last thing I want to do is go into any sort of debt for something that's not necessary. If it helps, I'm a 20-year-old college student (MIT) studying aeronautical engineering.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I feel your pain bro... I spent nearly $9,000 to get my private (mostly my own money). I've always wondered about scholarships though. Many FBO's and flight schools complain about lack of interest and try to get people hooked on flying through "discovery flights". However, the primary reason why there are so few pilots in America is the inhibitive cost of training... I mean flight training is almost as expensive as having a part-time lawyer siphoning your savings. Who in their right mind is going to spend $80,000 plus on training to start out at $25,000 a year? Even worse yet, the looming threat of failing your medical every 6 months.

I'm an aero/mech engineer guy too who wanted to be an airline pilot, but I figure you are better off just trying to do well in engineering school, get a graduate degree, then go get an MBA. In about 6-8 years you could be making upwards of $100K a year and be able to afford to buy your own plane.

My instructor told me a story about a 23 year old Lear Captain so I figure at 25 I'm a bit too late in starting a career in a highly volatile, underpaid yet expensive to enter field. There are probably 1,000 guys out there who are 19 and have more flying time than I can ever wish to get.

I suppose if anyone on this board ends up being a mega millionaire, maybe scholarships for flying should be at the top of your to-do list. I think flying is a one of a kind experience that every person should experience... to bad at the moment that experience is only for the select few who can afford it.

So, Jeremy, I guess my advice to you is to do what you can with the flying it's expensive, but it's worth it if you don't have too many high aspirations for it. Try to fly at least once a week (otherwise it won't be worth it because you'll get rusty). At my high point in private I was flying 3-4 times a week.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

airplanenut
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:16 am

Quoting AA54Heavy (Reply 12):
If you can hold out until you make it into the workforce and go and work for Boeing, they pay you $500 after your discovery flight and $1000 the day you get your license (and you owe them nothing).

It sounds really nice, but then I have to wait  Wink I've wanted to fly for too long now. That said, the MIT Flying Club is looking at raising money to reimburse partially for flight training (since we've run into problems getting our own plane). I also just got on the exec. board, so we'll see if this summer's costs can't be helped, even if the fund isn't yet set up fully  Wink

Quoting Brettbrett21 (Reply 13):
And oh yea.......MIT Aeronautical Engineering!?!? Well done!!

Thanks... just spent the last 4 hours doing 2 homework problems Sad

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 14):
You might want to look into a club that might have a variety of airplanes for a reasonable price.

There's one club with much lower rates, but I can't get there without a car, so I'm out of luck. There's only one airport accessible by public transportation, so that's the one I have to use out here.

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 11):
I pay the same. Are you at Westminster? When you said Archer III and Arrow, I saw a striking resemblance

Yeah how did you know, i go to westminster?

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting Airplanenut (Reply 10):
My goal was to do the PPL in just the summer... flying 3-4 times a week if possible.

Thats a good amount of time, at least 3 times a week, anything lower, and you start to forget things, or start sliping up on procedures.

Aeroflot777

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 am

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 17):
Yeah how did you know, i go to westminster?

Because you said Archer III and Arrow, and since I go to Westminster as well, I know that those are the exact planes we have in the Skaggs hangar and the shaded hangars.  Wink

Aeroflot777

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 19):
Because you said Archer III and Arrow, and since I go to Westminster as well, I know that those are the exact planes we have in the Skaggs hangar and the shaded hangars

Cool, ill probably see you some time this week. Never knew such a well respected Anet member went to Westminster!

Aeroflot777

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 20):

Cool, ill probably see you some time this week. Never knew such a well respected Anet member went to Westminster!

Eh, I've been here for long enough, and Russian aviation falls under extreme criticism here, so me and a few others need to be here to set everyone straight!  Smile Are you on your instrument?

JRDC930

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:58 pm

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 21):
Are you on your instrument?

Yeah, I will be , i just fineshed up my PPL this semester  Smile, what about you? (I hope this doesnt get deleted for being off topic though). Russian Aviation is an interesting field of its own, and i have noticed on Anet it gets quite a beating.

Aeroflot777

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Quoting JRDC930 (Reply 22):
Yeah, I will be , i just fineshed up my PPL this semester Smile, what about you? (I hope this doesnt get deleted for being off topic though). Russian Aviation is an interesting field of its own, and i have noticed on Anet it gets quite a beating.

I just did my Stage 1 check with Lance and Adam, I'm supposed to solo tomorrow. Depending on weather out in TVY. I'm leaving for the summer, so I'll have to continue when I get back in August.

bahadir

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 am

As a flight school owner who was a poor young ppl candidate let me give you my $0.02.
- Flying is not cheap and it's not getting cheaper.
- I am so glad that i got done paying for flying because i wouldn't be able to afford it even with my six figure income.
- There are no scholarships unless you are a woman, some minority (some of them) and even those are not high enough to cover something.
- If you want to become an airline pilot, don't go to places that offer latest and greates equipment: they are expensive. Airlines don't care if you had G430 or KX170 as nav/comm.
- Financing is the only way to go.
- If you don't have the money borrow it. If you plan for $6000 and you have only $6000 then you will not be done with the training and it will cause a lot of frustration.
Earthbound misfit I

isuA380B777

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:06 am

Piper Tomahawk for $85/hr or a Warrior or C172 for $109/hr

I wish If our New Zealand rates are the same !!! we pay US$160 (NZ$220) for a C172 + landing fees per hour Solo and US$193 (NZ$260) for a C172 + landing fees per hour with an instructor.

Going to the topic of Scholerships, NZ governmet do offer a student loan for pilot training. But it is student's responsibility to find a job and pay it back. How ever loans are interest free as long as you live in NZ. So many students I know go for that loan option. Even foreighners qualify for this scheme as long as they have NZ Permanant Residence Visa.

Kind Regards