Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

rafflesking
Topic Author

PHL International Routes Of The Past

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:02 am

All,

I'm curious as to international routes various carriers once flew to PHL. Offhand, I can remember the following:

Swissair - ZRH
PA: LHR (discontinued before 1980 I think when TWA picked it up)
TWA: LHR
Air Jamaica - MBJ
Mexicana - MEX

Hope you guys can fill in the blanks! Thanks!

vega

RE: PHL International Routes Of The Past

Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:26 am

Alitalia - Rome
KLM/NW - Amsterdam
American - LHR

[Edited 2007-04-23 23:28:44]
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

SJUSXM

Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:54 am

Air Aruba- AUA

doesnt Air Jamaica still go to MBJ or is it just KIN?
AT7, ER3, ER4, ER5, CR7, E70, E75, F100, M82, M83, 722, 732, 738, 752, 762, 763, AB6, 320, 321, 772, 77W

steeler83

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting SJUSXM (Reply 2):
doesnt Air Jamaica still go to MBJ

Oh, come to think of it, I think they only go to Kingston now... I think US now does MBJ. Punta Cana is served by USA3000.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

MAH4546

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 3):

Oh, come to think of it, I think they only go to Kingston now... I think US now does MBJ. Punta Cana is served by USA3000.

No, they don't. Kingston service is only from New York City and South Florida. Everything else is Montego Bay.
a.

AirAmericaC46

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:56 am

Tower Air 747 used to fly PHL-Lajes-Aviano-Sigonella-Bahrain

cha747

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Quoting RafflesKing (Thread starter):
TWA: LHR

Wasn't this actually PHL-LGW on an L1011? Or was it in fact LHR? Only reason I think LGW is because I think later US took this route as BA have 2 daily LHR flights. That and my aunt took this flight in 1993 and I'm pretty sure it was to Gatwick.
Piedmontgirl was always right

md90fan

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Bahamasair-Nassau.

Although this route is served by a codeshare with US Airways.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

iadguy73

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 4):
No, they don't. Kingston service is only from New York City and South Florida. Everything else is Montego Bay.

Correct. Both AMJ and US flies to/from MBJ.

So why have those routes/airlines disappeared from PHL? This airport is cursed as a hub of the most mediocre legacy carrier. We are stuck with US and there are no direct service to Asia, South America, Middle East or Africa! IAD, EWR, and JFK have all the airlines to all over the world. If PHL is the second largest metropolitan area on the east coast why do we only have 3 foreign airlines (LH, BA, AF, ok not counting AJ and AC) serving the airport? It's really pathetic! I really hope that the new EU-US open sky agreement will bring more airlines to PHL. I can see why US isn't scrambling to improve the quality of their service...I mean why should they when there isn't a true competition on international routes.  hissyfit 

isp

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:36 pm

Brussels (resuming this year), Ottawa - US Airways

BigGSFO

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Quoting Cha747 (Reply 6):
Wasn't this actually PHL-LGW on an L1011? Or was it in fact LHR? Only reason I think LGW is because I think later US took this route as BA have 2 daily LHR flights. That and my aunt took this flight in 1993 and I'm pretty sure it was to Gatwick.

Yes and no. TWA operated PHL-LHR for a number of years. After they sold their rights to Heathrow to AA, PHL-London switched to Gatwick. Eventually the route went to US.

Flighty

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Quoting IADguy73 (Reply 8):
I can see why US isn't scrambling to improve the quality of their service...I mean why should they when there isn't a true competition on international routes.   

US _is_ scrambling to improve their international service. Their 757 Europe is redone for this year - LCD screens, hot food, business class at 60" pitch. The A330 is good. Meanwhile on 767 you have ZRH and ATH as new destinations this summer.

US knows their quality is not up to snuff, and they are "mediocre" in the ranks. They are still improving with time.

If you are saying PHL is in cahoots with US Airways to repel international airlines like the new Varig or Alitalia or JAL or ANA, I really doubt that.

floridaflyboy

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:12 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 11):
If you are saying PHL is in cahoots with US Airways to repel international airlines like the new Varig or Alitalia or JAL or ANA, I really doubt that.

Yeah, that would truly not be in the best interest of the airport.
Good goes around!

stirling

Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting IADguy73 (Reply 8):
If PHL is the second largest metropolitan area on the east coast why do we only have 3 foreign airlines (LH, BA, AF, ok not counting AJ and AC) serving the airport?

Doesn't matter how big you are, when you have the world's largest financial capital on one side, and the world's biggest democratic national capital on the other, you're caught in a textbook example of a squeeze-play, yee nutz are in a vice.

And to add insult to injury, who does PHL choose to focus their competitive adrenaline on? Its 6 against 1 for crying out loud, and at least 4 have of these have Intercontinental/International service, or all, if you count Canada.
Even the bald-headed step-child in the region has int'l service; To Greenland, which still counts.

Take out of the system one airport from both NYC and WAS, and you might see some growth at PHL..Maybe...take out say LGA and DCA....two antiquated museum pieces that just add congestion to a system on the verge of self-destructing.
Granted infrastructure improvements would need to made at the surviving airports to handle increased use. For Example, real-estate acquisition, imminent domain, however and whatever you call it, Newark needs more runway capacity. As for JFK, the airport needs to be included in the transportation network. And it's terminal situation needs to be rationalized, along the lines of Atlanta or Denver, anything but what they have now.

(FYI, closing DCA and LGA WILL NEVER HAPPEN, unless global warming causes severe flooding that puts them permanently under-water. Otherwise, beyond my whimsical "What-If?"....everything else I have said here still stands.)
Delete this User

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos