Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

georgebush

RE: 60+ Year UAL F/A Retires

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:37 pm

Quoting Tbear815 (Reply 47):
I'm glad to know she's still flying and (hopefully) well.

Hell Donna is doing better than ever! I have heard from other flight attendants (many senior UA f/a's live in FW) and they told me that on many of Donna's flights she is more of a passenger than an active flight attendant, that they sometimes have an extra one scheduled. Donna is the true definition of someone who loves what they do!
Al Gore invented global warming.

VHXLR8

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 46):
Of course, I don't actually believe F/As are there for PRIMARILY for my safety. At least not ALL of them at once...
They are there, primarily, to get the planes in and out on time and make sure passengers follow as many rules as they can. And on longer flights to serve food and talk about their weekends.

And there are other F/A's who have a primary role other than safety.

For example, on QF 744s, there seems to be one F/A who is there "primarily because he knows how to reset the troublesome AVOD system and does so on a continual basis throughout the flight."

Oh Please!!! Primarily means firstly. F/A's are firstly (primarily) onboard an aircraft to ensure the safety of the pax. This is both in general day-to-day operations, as well as in case the sh*# hits the fan.
Yes, food and beverage service is a big part of an F/A's job, but this doesn't mean it's their primary function (it's just what you see most of).

As for you 'example'; I think not. Yes, F/A's all have specific responsibilites (on top of ALL crew being safety operators), but they are only determined by the position in which they are working on a particular flight, and change for every flight.
By the way, there is no one position at QF in charge of reseting IFE, we can all do it.

uaord2000

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:44 pm

I've never seen a human being eat as much as Donna!!!!!! For the record, she turned 80 in Jan. Now the top 3 are Ron Akana #1, Jean Cassidy-Smith #2, and Madonna Breckler #3.

-J

FLY777UAL

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 32):
Anyway I guess that means the Old Number Two F/A finally retired.

The story I heard was that the Number 1 wasn't going to retire until after the Number 2 did. Because sometime back in the 50s the Number 2 stole Number 1's Boyfriend and she swore Number 2 would never be the number 1. Guess she knows how to hold a grudge.

HAHA! Never head about the boyfriend story, but always figured that Iris would wait it out so that Jo (woman) would never become #1 seniority. Jo retired probably around 2000 if I remember correctly. I believe that a very large contributing factor was that her mother (yes, still living) was taking a turn for the worse...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

airnewzealand

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 46):
For example, on QF 744s, there seems to be one F/A who is there "primarily because he knows how to reset the troublesome AVOD system and does so on a continual basis throughout the flight."

LMAO...Thats usually me! But in all seriousness (and im sure you know this) but all crew can reset the IFE...its just that on the 747 at certain rows the button ius situated in a different place!

All the best

OH, and congrats Iris!! Im sure she had alot of stories to tell!!!

Just met a few old "birds" in NRT from United...SEA base and NWA...they must of been in their upper 50's and 60's. They couldnt believe how young the QF crews were...muhahaha!

UALPHLCS

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Seriously though, how much you want to bet Iris doesn't last too long after she retires?

In my experience when someone loves their work that much, those types of people tend to go downhill very quickly after retirement. Of course if she continues to use her passes to travel, and with her senority she'd probably still be able to get on, or if she finds something else to do, she could avoid that pitfall.

It makes you wonder...
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

VHXLR8

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:41 pm

Quoting UALPHLCS (Reply 55):
Seriously though, how much you want to bet Iris doesn't last too long after she retires?

In my experience when someone loves their work that much, those types of people tend to go downhill very quickly after retirement.

Sadly this is true; particularly for quite a few of those older crew who started flying right out of high school, and have essentially known nothing else in their adult lives.

WDBRR

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting UAORD2000 (Reply 6):
Iris started her career in 1946 as a stewardess and continued as such until 2006 when she was placed on leave. She recently was unsuccessful in completing RET to return to work and was 'forced' to retire.

When they go for RET, don't they have to evacuate a plane going down an
emergency chute? I can just see an 80 something year old woman doing that.
her wig would probably fly off and would probably break a hip at the bottom...LOL

would seem a little challenging for an older person.

christao17

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting CALMSP (Reply 15):
......I'm with you, having an age limit for FA's is my preference as well. Would I trust this 60 year old employee's abilty to open that door and throw it out?? No way......

What does the person's age have to do with their ability? The day and age where someone is ready to be turned out to pasture at age 60 is long since gone. My 83-year old grandmother swims a mile at the local pool, five days a week. If she wanted to be a flight attendant I'd suspect she'd be more physically capable than a large number of the young, obese, out-of-breath folks you see down at the local McDonald's!

Now what I do wish US based airlines would start doing is getting rid of flight attendants regardless of age who provide lousy or indifferent service.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

pilotaydin

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:52 am

if a pilot can fly at 60, then an F/A can fly at 60, evacuating with a healthy 60 year old shouldn;t be an issue, i fly with 60 year old capts all the time, most of them have trouble reading charts and hearing and understanding english....but we still get the job done lol
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

MCOflyer

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:04 am

Whenever I fly on US, I see older f/a's that do the job just fine. Congrats to Donna and Iris. Not off topic, but whos the youngest out of the senior f/a's?

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:52 am

Our number one celebrates her 50th this month. She runs rings around the junior ones. She is more than capable of getting anyone's butt out of a burning aircraft in a corn field.

Age has nothing to do with ability. Look at the dinosaurs that keep getting elected as officials in the Senate and the House (and everywhere else for that matter).

I can assure you that airlines take into consideration physical ability and do pull f/a off the line (airline term for working) when they receive reports (internally or from customers) that they cannot perform their job. It happens here.
You can't cure stupid

skytony

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:39 am

Quoting Tu154m (Reply 21):

The first diamond on the United Airlines FA wings are for 10 years of service. Then you receive a diamond every five years after.
Lower your expectations! You will always be pleasantly surprised!

fetheroleather

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:15 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 45):

fetheroleather

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:17 am

Quoting Fetheroleather (Reply 63):

Oops!.This is her picture.(She's the one on the right)

aa757first

Tue May 01, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting Christao17 (Reply 58):

What does the person's age have to do with their ability? The day and age where someone is ready to be turned out to pasture at age 60 is long since gone. My 83-year old grandmother swims a mile at the local pool, five days a week. If she wanted to be a flight attendant I'd suspect she'd be more physically capable than a large number of the young, obese, out-of-breath folks you see down at the local McDonald's!

There's a lot of people, like your grandmother, that could probably beat out a 25-year old during recurrent training. But think of your average 83-year old woman. It is accurate to say that the majority of people at age 83 would have a lot of trouble swinging a huge exit door out, bending down and inflating the slide and then start screaming commands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos