Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smed63
Topic Author

Delta Hidden City Policy

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:20 am

I want to book a one-way on Delta PDX-JFK-BUF for early September, but there's a possibility I'd get off at JFK instead of going all the way through to Buffalo. The cost of PDX-JFK-BUF is the same or a few bucks less than PDX-JFK so this is obviously a smart thing for me to do if I intend to do the whole route (save the JFK-BUF ticket cost). What I want to know is if I do this will I be at risk of not getting my FF miles credited for PDX-JFK or some other sort of punishment from Delta? Thanks.

lincoln

RE: Delta Hidden City Policy

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:10 am

Im not certain about Delta, but the revenue protection departments at many airlines employ automated monitoring tools to detect and discourage hidden city and other illegal (according to airline policy, not law) ticketing practices.

It is very likely that if you don't complete the ticketed itinerary they will not credit FF miles; if you just do it once, that's all I'd really be worried about -- if you do it frequently they may come after your Elite status, etc.

From Delta's Domestic General Rules (Contract of Carriage), Rule 100 (G):

Quote:
1) Compliance with Terms and Conditions of Sale
Tickets are valid for travel only when used in accordance with all terms and conditions of sale. Terms and conditions of sale include but are not limited to:
2) Unless a ticket is reissued by Delta or its authorized agent upon payment of applicable charges, or an authorized representative of Delta waives applicable restrictions in writing, a ticket is invalid;
A) If used for travel to a destination other than that specified on the ticket.
B) If the passenger fails to comply with applicable stayover requirements,
C) If the passenger does not meet the purpose or status requirement associated with the fare category on the ticket,
D) If Delta determines that the ticket has been purchased or used in a manner designed to circumvent applicable fare rules.
3) Delta specifically prohibits the practices commonly known as:
A) Back to Back Ticketing - The issuance, purchase or usage of flight coupons from two or more tickets issued at round trip fares, or the combination of two or more round trip excursion fares end to end on the same ticket for the purpose of circumventing minimum stay requirements.
B) Throwaway Ticketing - The issuance, purchase or usage of round excursion fares for one way travel.
C) Hidden City/Point Beyond Ticketing - The issuance, purchase or usage of a fare from a point before the passenger's actual origin or to a point beyond the passenger's actual destination.
4) Where a ticket is invalidated as the result of the passenger's non-compliance with any term or condition of sale, Delta has the right in its sole discretion to:
A) Cancel any remaining portion of the passenger's itinerary,
B) Confiscate unused flight coupons,
C) Refuse to board the passenger or check the passenger's baggage, or
D) Assess the passenger for the reasonable remaining value of the ticket, which shall be no less than the difference between the fare actually paid and the lowest fare applicable to the passenger's actual itinerary.

Cactus742

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:06 am

Delta may not honor the return flight if you do not use all segments of the outbound. If you want to get back to Oregon, you may not want to do that. Check out rule 4(A) listed above.

smed63
Topic Author

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting Cactus742 (Reply 2):
Delta may not honor the return flight if you do not use all segments of the outbound. If you want to get back to Oregon, you may not want to do that. Check out rule 4(A) listed above.

In this case, it would just be a one-way ticket PDX-JFK-(BUF). I don't have a Delta FF account, would likely have the miles put on my CO account.

Another way to look at it: if I "missed" my connecting flight JFK-BUF, would I be under any obligation to tell Delta? Would I still get credit for the first leg when the second is "missed"?

Type-Rated

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:36 am

If you are only traveling one way, I would chance it. But make sure you don't check any baggage as it will definitely go to BUF.
As for your frequent flier miles on CO. I think they'll go through. But remember, there is always the chance......

luv2fly

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 4):
If you are only traveling one way, I would chance it. But make sure you don't check any baggage as it will definitely go to BUF.
As for your frequent flier miles on CO. I think they'll go through. But remember, there is always the chance......

I have to agree though pack light so they do not do a gate check of your luggage. Or get a seat in back so you board first.

Cubsrule

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:50 am

DL's not going to do anything if you do this once. If you make a habit of it, things might start to happen. You'll likely get your miles, though, and that will be that.

skibum9

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:00 am

I've done it in the past and had no penalties. I was going to Cincinnati, the most expensive airport in the nation, from FLL. I booked a one-way ticket from FLL to DAY, through CVG. The ticket was about $400 cheaper. I got off at CVG and didn't show up for the CVG-DAY leg. I got my miles and no penalties.

lincoln

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:02 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 4):

My understanding (possibly incorrect since it's never come from anyone or anything official) is that a large part of the delay in posting miles to an account is to allow time for ineligible flights to be dropped; also once your miles are in the account it doesn't mean that they're safe -- CO's OnePass terms and conditions are (were--it may have change) very clear about giving CO the ability to remove miles from an account if they shouldn't have been earned.

Lincoln

transair737

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:38 am

My understanding is that i standard that if you have a return booked they will not honour the return portion of the flight as you have not completed the outbound portion, and the return reservation may be cancelled. As for FF points they do have the right to remove them from your account as well.

gigneil

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:39 pm

One-way ticket? No problem. Do it.

NS

N31029

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Quoting Smed63 (Thread starter):
if I do this will I be at risk of not getting my FF miles credited for PDX-JFK or some other sort of punishment from Delta? Thanks.

Hi Smed63.

The advice you are receiving, from my experience, is largely accurate - however - most airlines also reserve the right to reprice your ticket and bill your credit card for the difference. It has happened.

Caveat Emptor!

N31029

jetjeanes

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:51 pm

ive gotten mine,, you wuld get the portion pdx to jfk,,,, not buffalo....

pr1268

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 pm

In November 1989 I flew AUS-STL on TW. R/T cost was $110, one-way was $129. I needed to catch a military charter at STL, so I wasn't needing the return trip ticket. I made the cheaper choice and never got any grief from TW over it.

Just my experiences....

Cactus742

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm

I did something similar back in 2002 on DL. Booked R/T JFK-PHX-JFK for $129. Only used the first half. Never had a problem with it.

$129 round trip across the country, on a 767 no less... ahhhh, those were the days!

jayspilot

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:26 pm

you are correct those were the days. The days the airlines revenue managment team was so disconnected from reality that it was more important to fill seats for a loss then actually make money on a flight. Delta burned through about 10 billion between 9/11 and when they went bankrupt.

VgnAtl747

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:52 pm

If it's one way then you should be fine. However if you were doing a return then the return portion of your trip would be cancelled automatically.

When I was a Comair agent, I saw this a couple times. On one occasion there was a couple that had flown in from an international city, and had booked through CVG, but for some reason they got off in CVG and didn't show up for their second leg. They then came to checkin for their return portion and their flight to CVG and onwards to their international destination was cancelled.

DL uses something called (at least when I was there), "NO SHOW MANAGER". When an agent pulled up a PNR for someone who hadn't showed up for the flight, all of the flight segments would be gone and there would be a remark that said "ITN XCLD BY NOSHOW MGR" (or something to that extent).

AIR757200

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting VgnAtl747 (Reply 16):
DL uses something called (at least when I was there), "NO SHOW MANAGER".

AA has a similar system, once the flight goes into post-departure control (when the flight is airborne), all HK segments turn into NS for no shows and then, in addition to that, the E-ticket will go into "NOGO" status after some period of time. The E-ticket is now void.

Flyboy14295

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:39 pm

I did this with a round-trip ticket. I got a deal on a RT AA CDG-JFK for $500 and never went back to CDG and got credited my 3000 miles.

retaf98

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:58 pm

Get sick...come down with something that really discourages flying...ear infection, sinus problem and tell them you can't continue. It works and Delta will not give you any static. Before everyone jumps me and tells me what a cheat I am, I realize that it is "cheating" and am willing to accept that. Have a nice day!!!

SuseJ772

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:00 am

I think we are missing the larger discussion point here: why in the world are airlines allowed to do this? As Lincoln expressed, it is not against the law, but against airline policy. Frankly, I think it should be part of the traveler's bill of rights that allows for this type of ticket purchasing. When I purchase a ticket, I am essentially purchasing a seat on each plane I fly on. Whose to say that I am not allowed to decide that I don't want to fly a segment of that itinerary?

B6FA4ever

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:20 am

even tho it could be a low risk...but wouldn't you be screwed if say you did purchase the PDX-JFK-BUF o/w trip (w/ you knowing JFK is ur final destination)...but when you check in, your PDX-JFK flight is cancelled and the airline re-routes you thru another hub to get you to "BUF". what do u do then? you're obviously not gonna be going thru JFK. like i said, its a pretty low risk. thought i'd share my thought.

~B6FA4ever

ghillier

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:43 am

If you do this once you'll probably be OK but let me tell you what AA did to me one time in the 1990's. At the time, DFW had some some the highest fares in the Country and a local TV station touted the "Hidden City" trick to get around the high fares. I was travelling to SEA for a weekend and the r/t DFW-SEA fare was $500+ but OKC-SEA via DFW was $178. I no-showed the OKC portion and had no problems of the outbound leg to SEA. When I arrived at SEA for my return flight, I checked in without incident only to be approached at the Gate by an overjealous Agent and a Security Guard who told me that my ticket was "fraudulent and invalid" and took my ticket away from me. I was a Gold AAdvantage Member (their highest Elite status at the time) and said it was a misunderstanding but they told me that if I wanted to fly that I had buy a full-fare replacement ticket at $474 one-way ! Cornered I had no choice but to do that - and then when I boarded the Agent was like "That's the one they busted!" Needless to say, I received a lot of stares on the flight back to DFW and I fired off a letter to AA and mentioned that, although I accepted responsibility for a "Hidden City" ticket, that I did'nt appreciate being treated like a criminal and embarassed in front of a crowd. Weeks went by and finally I got a response that bascially said "Too bad so sad." I then contacted the TV station that broadcast the story to begin with and they ran a follow-up story and I gave them an interview warning others about the "AA Ticket Nazis" and how I had given AA alot of business and should'nt have been verbally assaulted . In time I received a second letter from AA that was more contrite but still warned me that "if you don't travel as ticketed we can act accordingly."

TrvlnMan

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:21 am

I think you are correct - we ARE missing the discusson point. When you purchase an airline ticket, you are purchasing a product. In this case the product is PDX-BUF. If you buy a car with a sunroof but never use it, do you not make the last 2 payments on the car?  boggled 

The Passenger Bill of Rights (if it ever comes to fruition) is NOT intended to allow for passengers to scam and "steal" from the Airlines! What a bunch of crap. I don't understand why everyone thinks they should have every right to lie, cheat and steal, but God forbid the airlines try to make a buck to stay in business... unbelieveable. Take the bus.  banghead 

Go3Team

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:33 am

What would happen, if somehow the Gate Agent made a mistake, and didn't process someone's boarding card properly? Are there ways to prevent that from happening?

Cubsrule

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 23):
The Passenger Bill of Rights (if it ever comes to fruition) is NOT intended to allow for passengers to scam and "steal" from the Airlines!

The airline is essentially engaging in dumping. The passenger is responding to the dumping by (effectively) lowering the carrier's costs, perhaps to the point where no dumping is occurs. Who is really in the wrong?

In international trade, when dumping occurs, countries are permitted all sorts of recourse (duties, etc.). It's illegal there, so why should it be any different for air travel?

TrvlnMan

Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 24):
The airline is essentially engaging in dumping. The passenger is responding to the dumping by (effectively) lowering the carrier's costs, perhaps to the point where no dumping is occurs. Who is really in the wrong?

In international trade, when dumping occurs, countries are permitted all sorts of recourse (duties, etc.). It's illegal there, so why should it be any different for air travel?

I'm not familliar with International Trade laws, and I guess I don't understand the term "dumping". Can you explain a little further?

papatango

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:07 am

Well stated it seems everyone wants cheap fares and a superb product and then wants to cheat the airline out of their published point to point fares

Cubsrule

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 25):
I'm not familliar with International Trade laws, and I guess I don't understand the term "dumping". Can you explain a little further?

Not sure how much econ you know, but the basic/easy discrimination of dumping is international price discrimination, or selling below cost to some consumers (i.e. folks abroad) while charging higher prices to others (in the home country).

In this case, the carriers are dumping by selling below cost to those on connecting itineraries, who clearly cost the airline more money, while gouging O&D customers (the PDX-JFK flier in this example). I would argue that if we get upset when countries do it to us, we should be similarly upset when airlines do it to us and, if so, it's not clear that our friend Smed63 is really in the wrong here.

TrvlnMan

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 28):
Not sure how much econ you know, but the basic/easy discrimination of dumping is international price discrimination, or selling below cost to some consumers (i.e. folks abroad) while charging higher prices to others (in the home country).

In this case, the carriers are dumping by selling below cost to those on connecting itineraries, who clearly cost the airline more money, while gouging O&D customers (the PDX-JFK flier in this example). I would argue that if we get upset when countries do it to us, we should be similarly upset when airlines do it to us and, if so, it's not clear that our friend Smed63 is really in the wrong here.

Thanks for the explination. Then this is not dumping at all. I didn't read anything about discrimination in the original post.

The airlines determine the price, not the goverment or a goverment agency, and it's based on demand. Prices are not based on distance traveled, or number of flights required to get you from point A to point B.

lincoln

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 28):
In this case, the carriers are dumping by selling below cost to those on connecting itineraries.

How do you know that it is below cost? Anyway I subscribe to the school of thought that air transportation is a service (getting you from A to B) rather than a tangible good. With [almost] any service, the entity selling the service is free to price their service according to value rather than actual cost.

The value of transportation between A and C via B is, for whatever reason or reasons, lower than the value of transportation between A and B or B and C -- perhaps because of lower demand or the increased hassle of the connection or whatever.

Lincoln

TrvlnMan

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 29):
The value of transportation between A and C via B is, for whatever reason or reasons, lower than the value of transportation between A and B or B and C -- perhaps because of lower demand or the increased hassle of the connection or whatever.

Lincoln

Exactly!  bigthumbsup 

smed63
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:00 am

I actually don't want to cheat the airlines out of their intended revenue, just want to have the flexibility to not use all that I paid for if my plans change at the last minute. If I've purchased a product but decide not to use all of it, isn't that my perogative?

TrvlnMan

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:25 am

Quoting Smed63 (Reply 31):
I actually don't want to cheat the airlines out of their intended revenue, just want to have the flexibility to not use all that I paid for if my plans change at the last minute. If I've purchased a product but decide not to use all of it, isn't that my perogative?

Well, the point is you never intend to use what you have paid for (if infact, you do purchase PDX-BUF). When you purchase the ticket all the way to BUF, it removes a seat from DL's inventory. So in actuallity, you are cheating or stealing (however you want to think of it) from DL, because you are not allowing them to sell that seat to someone who is willing to pay to get from JFK-BUF. Not to mention, the reason for the tkt to BUF is only to save you money.

CO777DAL

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 am

I know there was talk of Frequent Filer miles on this. I wouldn’t try this on CO anytime soon. I just logged into my OnePass account there was a “OnePass Member Advisory.”

I was reading through the information and saw this:

“OnePass mileage may not be earned on certain Continental Airlines and other OnePass airline partner tickets, car rentals and hotel stays. These include, but are not limited to:
Tickets, products or services purchased and used in violation of the terms and conditions applicable to Continental's OnePass partners. Continental tickets purchased and used in violation of Continental's Contract of Carriage or fare tariffs, such as tickets with destinations before or beyond your intended departure or destination (Hidden-Cities Ticketing, Throwaway Ticketing, Back-to-Back Ticketing or Point-Beyond Ticketing) are also ineligible.
All free travel, including OnePass reward travel.
Unpublished charter flights.
Industry-free or industry-reduced rate tickets.
Promotional certificates.
Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire.
Continental Airlines, all participating airlines and other OnePass partners reserve the right to exclude certain fares, programs, routes, rentals and stays from earning mileage credit.”

Cubsrule

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 pm

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 29):

The airlines determine the price, not the goverment or a goverment agency, and it's based on demand. Prices are not based on distance traveled, or number of flights required to get you from point A to point B.

And in the dumping example, the firm avails itself of its monopoly power to determine the price. Here, the carrier is availing itself of the same on the PDX-JFK run. So if we get mad when foreign firms do it, why should airlines be any different?

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 30):

How do you know that it is below cost?

I don't know that it's below cost. However, I do know that PDX-JFK-BUF costs the airline more than PDX-JFK, and in some circles, we require firms to price accordingly. Why is air travel different?

TrvlnMan

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 35):
don't know that it's below cost. However, I do know that PDX-JFK-BUF costs the airline more than PDX-JFK, and in some circles, we require firms to price accordingly. Why is air travel different?

Okay, well I know that a 2 liter of 7-up costs more than a 20oz bottle, but the qwiki-mart sells the 20 oz fro $1.19 and the 2 liter for .99. Who wants to walk/drive around swigging out of a 2 lt. bottle? It's called paying convenience and demand, and perfectly leagal.

lincoln

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 35):
Why is air travel different

Because air travel is a service and not a tangible product. Most people buying a ticket from PHX-BUF just want to get from Phoenix to Buffalo and could care less about where they are making the connection-- The service the airline is providing is moving you from Phoenix to Buffalo. As I said in my previous reply, for whatever reason or reasons the value of PHX-BUF is less than PHX-JFK, and the airline is pricing fares accordingly.

The stop in JFK is incidental to the rendering of the service -- not an essential element. Most airlines contracts of carriage make it exceptionally clear that you aren't guaranteed any particular seat on any particular flight just that they will get you from your ticketed point of origin to your ticketed destination. If for whatever reason they send you PHX-ATL-BUF or whatever they've still rendered the service that they were contracted to provide.

It's the same thing when you pay more for rush shipping -- in the end you're getting the same service, but it has a higher value to you if you have it X days sooner. Does it actually cost the shipping company more to get it to you sooner? In many cases the answer is no.

Lincoln

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 37):
Because air travel is a service and not a tangible product.

In the international paradigm, dumping is illegal regardless of whether it's of a product or service. I don't see what the difference is.

(And, for the record, I'm not necessarily in favour of restrictions on dumping internationally, but it's just as harmful to consumers if it's domestic companies that are doing it, so I don't see why we should allow it in one instance but not in the other).

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 37):
As I said in my previous reply, for whatever reason or reasons the value of PHX-BUF is less than PHX-JFK, and the airline is pricing fares accordingly.

The difference is that DL is able to exercise monopoly power in the PDX-JFK market, for they are the only carrier to service it nonstop. We don't like monopoly power in this country. Why should we allow it here?

rwsea

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 38):
The difference is that DL is able to exercise monopoly power in the PDX-JFK market, for they are the only carrier to service it nonstop. We don't like monopoly power in this country. Why should we allow it here?

Last time I checked, B6 flew PDX-JFK nonstop. In fact, DL's PDX-JFK route only started less than two weeks ago, while B6 has had a monopoly for a couple years now.

TrvlnMan

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:23 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 39):
Last time I checked, B6 flew PDX-JFK nonstop. In fact, DL's PDX-JFK route only started less than two weeks ago, while B6 has had a monopoly for a couple years now.

The market is open to any airline that wants to fly it - there are many routes flown by only 1 airline, it's their choice. By definition, it is not a monolopy since the govt. is not preventing competition...

monopoly (n.) A right granted by a government giving exclusive control over a specified commercial activity to a single party.

Kevin777

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:54 am

Quoting SuseJ772 (Reply 19):
I think we are missing the larger discussion point here: why in the world are airlines allowed to do this? As Lincoln expressed, it is not against the law, but against airline policy.

Wrong.... hidden-city ticketing is indeed against the law, and not just against airline policy. Sounds weird, yes, but that is the fact nonetheless. It's a simple violation of law because it's a simple violation of an agreement upon which the traveller and the airline has agreed. You agree to buy a ticket PDX-JFK-BUF or whatever for X dollars. If you fly PDX-JFK and get off you violate that agreement - in particular, it is illegal becuase you intended to violate the agreement all along.

So, technically airlines could file claims against a hidden city customer - but what bad publicity would that be!..

I know from a former US pilot, that some airlines instead start blacklisting if they get too creative on the hidden-city thing.

In 1996, the US GAO made an investigation to see whether restrictions on airline tickets (roundtrip purchases etc.) should be made illegal, because they had so illogical consequences - including making hidden-city ticketing legal. However, they found that this was unlikely to help the consumers..

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 38):
In the international paradigm, dumping is illegal regardless of whether it's of a product or service. I don't see what the difference is.

Let's keep focus here...!  Smile Dumping has nothing to do with this

Kevin777

TrvlnMan

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:08 am

Hopefully that will put an end to the "dumping" issue. It's not applicable to US airfares.

I don't even think the original poster cares anymore. Now we're just trying to prove our points.  box 

Mine being that this is completely legal.  Wink

Jonathan L

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:40 am

f you buy a car with a sunroof but never use it, do you not make the last 2 payments on the car?

That analogy doesn't make sense. You've already paid for the ticket from one city to another, with a stop or two in the middle. The airlines are creating this problem by having some destinations with an artificially low (or high) price for service. It would be like the car companies offering the sunroof for ($500), and then being surprised that some people just chose the sunroof option to get $500 taken off the price of the car.

TrvlnMan

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:16 am

Jonathan, You're right. It seemed to make sense at the time - My 2nd analogy is brilliant though, don't you think?

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:19 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 39):

Nonetheless, DL is able to exercise monopoly power in the market due to the fact that there are only two players. There are at least 8 carriers flying one-stop PDX-BUF. Therefore, DL has increased market power on PDX-JFK nonstop.

Quoting TrvlnMan (Reply 40):
monopoly (n.) A right granted by a government giving exclusive control over a specified commercial activity to a single party.

Where'd you find that?

Monopoly: An industry in which there is only a single seller of the good in question (Source: Walter Nicholson, Microeconomics (Ninth Edition)

smed63
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 41):
If you fly PDX-JFK and get off you violate that agreement - in particular, it is illegal becuase you intended to violate the agreement all along.

Again, let me clarify - if I buy PDX-JFK-BUF, it's not because I intend to necessarily just fly PDX-JFK. I am not trying to violate the agreement at the outset. I really want to go to BUF. But it's possible that at the last minute I might not need to go to BUF. Guess if that situation arises I should let DL know that I will be forgetting to get on my last leg so they can charge me more.

Or I could just buy the whole itinerary on WN and know that if I cancel my plans even with a non-refundable ticket, I'd be able to use the credit within a year without charge!

toptravel

Tue May 01, 2007 12:36 am

What are they going to do arrest you, just shows how stupid airline pricing is. Carry you further for less money than the transit airport you flew thru. This doesn't make sense in my math book, but that's the way they got into the trouble they are in now. Tell them you got sick and were throwing up all over the place and you thought it was better to spare their passengers the sight.

chase

Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 am

Another risk you run is that DL may, sometime between now and September, decide to alter their schedule in a way that causes them to change your itinerary to PDX-CVG-BUF or PDX-SLC-BUF or PDX-ATL-BUF, figuring you couldn't care less where you connect as long as you leave and arrive at approx the same time.
Unlikely, but possible. But it sounds like in the unlikely case that that were to happen you'd be just fine with ending up in BUF. So yeah, go ahead and do it. And if you do end up in BUF, eat at the Empire Brewing Company for me if it's still around.

goaliemn

Tue May 01, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 45):
Nonetheless, DL is able to exercise monopoly power in the market due to the fact that there are only two players.

They can't be exercising monopoly power, based on the definition you posted.. I'm confused...  Confused

B9 had a monopoly on it until DL entered the market.. so if anything, B9 was using its monopoly power until DL came in and removed their monopoly..  Confused

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos