Markhkg
Topic Author

New A380 Evacuation Video

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:55 am

New video from Youtube showing, from the inside as well as the outside, the passenger evacuation of the A380 for certification purposes. For the record, that was 853 passengers and 20 crew in 78 seconds. (The requirement is under 90 seconds.) Kudos to the LH crew for their assertive directions...I love it when they shout "Schnell, schnell!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weOcrP7u7Y8

[Edited 2007-04-28 04:55:47]
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

ZBBYLW

RE: New A380 Evacuation Video

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:57 am

Its a good video, good catch.
Keep the shinny side up!

propilotjw

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:12 pm

Great video! thanks for posting. Amazing seeing all of those people sliding down the various slides at the same time... That's a lot of people!

dairbus

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:16 pm

Very cool video! I love the shot 45-48 seconds into the test when it shows people streaming down five slides at once.  eyepopping 
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

Tugger

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting PropilotJW (Reply 2):
Amazing seeing all of those people sliding down the various slides at the same time... That's a lot of people!

Quoting DAirbus (Reply 3):
I love the shot 45-48 seconds into the test when it shows people streaming down five slides at once. eyepopping

I agree, that was the money shot! It's a big plane and that was an awful lot of people pouring out all at once. I know its ideal conditions but it is still a good job of design to be able to do that, empty the plane, that fast.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

renfnl

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:51 pm

That was really great, thanks!

DfwRevolution

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:07 pm

Any angle of the guy who broke his femur?? Truly a massive volume of people, they just keep coming!
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Francoflier

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Really impressive indeed.

Even though everyone inside knew exactly what was going to happen and there was no panic, as they would surely be in a real situation, I must admit that getting 853 people out of that thing in 78 sec is impressive.

It gives a comfortable margin to account for the panic and chaos that would occur in a real case scenario.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

agill

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

Damn that slmost looked unrealistic. Cool video.

walter747

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:21 pm

Wow thats pretty amazing! So many people.
Hussel, Hussel, Husel, Grind, Grind, Grind

PC12Fan

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:34 pm

Very impressive. The A380 has had a rough go of it to date, but Airbus sure has a feather in their cap in this case.

Congrats from a life time Boeing fan.
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

motopolitico

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:09 am

Funny, those didn't look pre-inflated to me...

Weren't there people giving flak about the slides being pre-inflated?
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

Jj

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 am

At 1:29 remaining you can clearly see a pre-inflated slide. However, later on you can see that some were actually inflated DURING the test and not before... weird.

mjgallacher

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:37 am

Trully amazing, though I shudder to think if/when the situation will arise when the evacuation on the A380 won't be a drill.

Only one comment, the doors appear to open pneumatically or electrically; it looks kind of slow, like you couldn't just throw them open... Maybe this is common place but it just looks a little like it impedes the escape???

WingedMigrator

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting Motopolitico (Reply 11):
Funny, those didn't look pre-inflated to me...

Weren't there people giving flak about the slides being pre-inflated?

The upper deck slides were pre-inflated for safety, but this gave no timing advantage. The slides are not built into the doors, but reside in a compartment located in the side of the fuselage, below each door. You can see this if you look for it in photos of the A380. In a real evacuation, the upper deck slides would inflate before the electrically actuated doors could open fully. Therefore, there was no timing advantage conferred by the pre-inflation of the upper deck slides.

The lower deck slides were not pre-inflated, as you saw in the video. You can also see in the video that the lighting system on one of the slides failed during deployment.

jetstar

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:12 am

I think this was a staged test for video purposes or to set some sort of record. If you look at the people they are all young and healthy, not the typical load of passengers on an airliner. Also all the cabin lights are on bright which is not typical of a real evacuation.

For actual certification, the airplane is in a dark hangar. The main cabin lights are then shut off leaving only the cabin emergency lights on, then smoke is pumped into the airplane and only one half the emergency exits are used and these exits to be used are not known to the cabin crew. Under these conditions the airplane must be evacuated in 90 seconds or less. Also the volunteers have to representative of the typical passenger load and include older people.

For safety reasons during testing is women do not wear skirts because the friction from sliding down the inflated ramp would burn off the skin on exposed skin surfaces. In this video not one woman was wearing a skirt. I have also read that even polyester pants will burn onto the skin from the friction generated by sliding down these long slides so the volunteers wear cotton clothing which will not burn the skin.

In testing for the MD-11, McDonnell Douglas used volunteers including older people and one older woman tripped and slid down headfirst and broke her neck and died from the injuries, and there were numerous other injuries among the volunteers.

The purpose is to try and duplicate as close as possible the conditions that would exist in a real accident where fire and smoke is present. I think this video is entertaining but that is all this evacuation was good for.

madairdrie

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 15):
think this was a staged test for video purposes or to set some sort of record. If you look at the people they are all young and healthy, not the typical load of passengers on an airliner. Also all the cabin lights are on bright which is not typical of a real evacuation.

For actual certification, the airplane is in a dark hangar. The main cabin lights are then shut off leaving only the cabin emergency lights on

I think you will find this is the real evacuation test. If you look hard enough there is a variety of ages in the group, you will also realise it is a night vision camera, the whole aircraft and hanger is in darkness, the brightish lights you see are the emergency lights which appear very bright through night vision. This is why it is in black and white until the very end when the hanger lights are turned on.

I am unsure about smoke if it is required for test, but what I do know is that this was the real test required by the JAA and the FAA. The same test that any aircraft would have to go through and as proved with the Air France A340 in Toronto it seems to be able to reflect real life fairly well. So this is more than an entertaining video of an evaluation it is the proper test.

Kenneth

jimbobjoe

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:49 am

I think this was a staged test for video purposes or to set some sort of record.

This appears to be the real thing...

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...poised-for-crucial-exit-trial.html

"Airbus is to undertake the full-scale evacuation test of the A380 on 26 March"
"the test will take place in the dark, with only minimal safety lighting outside;"
"35% must be aged over 50, a minimum 40% must be female and 15% female and over 50;"
"Regulators will dump soft obstacles such as baggage into the aisles and elsewhere before the test."

Markhkg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:06 am

Quoting WingedMigrator (Reply 14):
The upper deck slides were pre-inflated for safety, but this gave no timing advantage.

checkmark  The FAA specifically made a special rule to allow the A380 to have pre-inflated slides for the upper deck for safety reasons. As noted, the doors on the upper deck in real life do not open fully until the slides fully inflates for safety purposes, so there is no advantage given.

McDonnell Douglas used volunteers including older people and one older woman tripped and slid down headfirst and broke her neck and died from the injuries

She was paralyzed, but did not die.

Also all the cabin lights are on bright which is not typical of a real evacuation.

Only cabin emergency lights are utilized during the evacuation; it is not bright at all.

Quoting Madairdrie (Reply 16):
I am unsure about smoke if it is required for test

Smoke is not required for the test, but "debris" (like pillows) and plastic children are required for the evacuation certification.

teva

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 am

When you read it in the news, you just think "good job". But after all, it is the expected result. Nothing special.

Now, when you see the video, you have to say WOW !!!!  bigthumbsup 

Really impressive !!!

teva  spin 
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

ardian

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:27 am

Hahaha and the music they used on the background!
But yes: a very impressive video!

birdbrainz

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:56 am

It's very impressive that they achieved what they did, but I still shudder if anyone thinks this is realistic.

(This is not an A vs B thing. Shame on the FAA for allowing this to be representative of a real evacuation. I'm sure Boeing's are just as staged.)
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

Markhkg
Topic Author

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting Birdbrainz (Reply 21):

(This is not an A vs B thing. Shame on the FAA for allowing this to be representative of a real evacuation. I'm sure Boeing's are just as staged.)

What matters is that all aircrafts undergoing FAA/JAA certification all get the same treatment.

The evacuation certification does not intend to be representative of a real evacuation, it is merely a benchmark that all aircrafts must live up to.

Having said that, flow rates through doors, partitions, unexpected pax behavior (like hesitation at the top of the slides, which was a concern for the A380 upper deck), inadequate numbers of cabin crew can be studied with a trial like this.

Max Q

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:48 am

Impressive, but looked like a lot of fit, healthy people.

I don't see a full load of people like that on my aircraft....ever.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

kalakaua

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:59 pm

One of last two passengers, near the last ten seconds of the video, slid down the slide really awkward. Hopefully he wasn't hurt.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

hamster

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:39 pm

This was a very impressive video. Will the flight attendants stay till the end? Is it understood that they may have to make the ultimate sacrafice?

Oroka

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:06 pm

wow, that was quite impressive, especially the shot with 5 slides together dumping in one area. Expected yes, but seems to be something Airbus pulled off well!

eclipz

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:22 pm

If you look at the people they are all young and healthy

In fact no.
This extract comes from a serie of 5 videos (30min each) about A380 trials diffused on TV last week (1/day by Arte, german/french channel). The last video was about the evacuation... in this vid you can of course see the test itself but also the preparations... among volunteers you can see young people (20/30 years old), middle aged people (about 40/50yo) and "old" people (probably 60yo and more)

Go3Team

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:24 am

I find this 380 evac video a little more entertaining...

Yay Pudding!

Markhkg
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting Hamster (Reply 25):
Will the flight attendants stay till the end? Is it understood that they may have to make the ultimate sacrafice?

Although it has been known to happen, flight attendants are not required to stay "until the end".

Generally, most carriers tell their flight attendants to ascribe to the adage, "if the fire is too hot, the smoke too thick or the water too deep...evacuate" (or something along those lines).

raventom

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:00 am

The last guy out was funny!
I love the smell of burnt kerosene!!!!!!!!!!!!

PPVRA

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 am

Wow! That's of biblical proportions! Big grin
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

aloha73g

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Hamster (Reply 25):
This was a very impressive video. Will the flight attendants stay till the end? Is it understood that they may have to make the ultimate sacrafice?

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 29):
Although it has been known to happen, flight attendants are not required to stay "until the end".

Generally, most carriers tell their flight attendants to ascribe to the adage, "if the fire is too hot, the smoke too thick or the water too deep...evacuate" (or something along those lines).

You got it, "Smoke too thick, Fire too hot, Water too deep....GET OUT!!"

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

khobar

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:00 am

At around 4 second mark, is that FA by a door?

PPVRA

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:42 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 33):

I think it's a shareholder. . .  Wink
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Markhkg
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:06 am

Yes, it is. But I'm not sure she's by a door, but rather in the forward cabin on the upper deck. Her position requires her to redirect passengers backwards to the closest exit.

madairdrie

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:56 am

She could very well be at a door, I think I am correct in saying that the evacuation must happen using only half the doors. So she might be at a non functioning door and redirecting passengers to another exit. Maybe someone can explain how they decide which exits to use and how the other exits are blocked from being used, and if those on board would know which doors before hand.

Kenneth

777236ER

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:07 am

Regarding the reason for this test, I agree that the EASA/FAA certification tests are pretty lousy. The availability of doors should be random, and a few tests should be carried out with critical door scenarios. Accidents have shown that there is significantly increased evacuation times when all doors at the front or back (not left or right) are out of action.
Your bone's got a little machine

Markhkg
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:38 am

Quoting Madairdrie (Reply 36):
Maybe someone can explain how they decide which exits to use and how the other exits are blocked from being used, and if those on board would know which doors before hand.

One side of the aircraft is typically blocked off, but this can be subject to change. The FAA's official guidance is:

"In airplanes having an even number of exits, not more than 50 percent of the total number of exits and slides may be opened and deployed. When an airplane has an odd number of emergency exits, subtract one. Fifty percent of that number of exits shall be opened and the associated slides (if applicable) deployed.The remaining exits must be blocked."

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...rs/8700/volume2/media/2_074_00.pdf

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 37):
Accidents have shown that there is significantly increased evacuation times when all doors at the front or back (not left or right) are out of action.

It is generally agreed upon that, if for some reason, the upper deck slides cannot be used, the A380 will fail its evacuation certification as the only resort is the two stair cases. Now consider SQ 006 which had both upper deck slides burned before it could be used for evacuation.

robffm2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:55 am

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 38):

It is generally agreed upon that, if for some reason, the upper deck slides cannot be used, the A380 will fail its evacuation certification as the only resort is the two stair cases. Now consider SQ 006 which had both upper deck slides burned before it could be used for evacuation.

But will not all planes fail the test if the slides (on the lower deck/single deck) cannot be deployed?
I don't think that this is a valid argument.

Rob

andaman

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:24 am

It sounded like German is a perfect command language in evacuation, you really got the message..  Wink
Thanks for the video, great stuff.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

birdbrainz

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:34 am

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 38):
Now consider SQ 006 which had both upper deck slides burned before it could be used for evacuation.

A former co-worker was on the upper deck of that flight and survived. He said that wes only possible by how the plane broke apart and he ended up outside. Apparently, the front part somehow split (more or less) down the middle.

Now before I get pounced upon, this is how it was told to me. I have not read the accident report.

Anyhow, maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I doubt the certification for other planes is much better. I just think the tests are rigged so that you have the best case scenario.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

Markhkg
Topic Author

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting Robffm2 (Reply 39):
But will not all planes fail the test if the slides (on the lower deck/single deck) cannot be deployed?

Remember that during evacuation certification, 50% of the exits are blocked. There are 16 exits on the A380.
Consider a evacuation trial which for some reason, the FAA decided to block all the top exits (which is 6 exits), and decided the block another two on the lower deck for a total of 8.
Having to use the staircase because the top exits were blocked-- even though 50% of the doors were still operational-- would prevent the A380 from being evacuated from the aircraft in 90 seconds because of the bottlenecks associated with the staircases.

Having said that, all the upper deck slides can be utilized as a slide/raft in a ditching, so even in that situation passengers would not need to descend to the lower deck.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos