Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PITSpeedbird
Topic Author

WN Boarding Etiquette

Tue May 01, 2007 1:21 am

Morning All,

Today I took a WN flight from STL - MDW - PIT.
I have noticed recently that WN boarding practices are getting a little ridiculous.

For example last Friday I was flying PIT - MDW on a 9:35am flight. I decided to check in on Thursday afternoon
at Noon - which I did online, only to find out that I was number 51 for check-in an ALREADY in the "B" boarding group.
Does anyone else think this is a little ridiculous??

This am my flight was scheduled to leave STL at 635 am. People were putting their bags at the line in all lines A, B, C - starting at 530 am!.

My questions are these:
1 - I heard SWA is going to move away from open seating - is this true
2- What do people think about putting your bag in the line? Is this a legitimate way of reserving a place in line? Or is it considered rude? That is - should people have to "suffer" and stand up in line the entire time in order to have the "privilege" of boarding first??
3 - Does anyone else think that the WN open seating policy encourages eccentric behavior? That is - checking in at the stroke of 24 h before departure, or lining up really early??

My two cents - i think the whole thing is ridiculous. Other than that I love WN!

Thank you for your thoughts -

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

ATCGOD

RE: WN Boarding Etiquette

Tue May 01, 2007 1:26 am

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Thread starter):

They did this last year with some SAN routes...I didn't care enough to see how it worked.

What do people think about putting your bag in the line? Is this a legitimate way of reserving a place in line? Or is it considered rude? That is - should people have to "suffer" and stand up in line the entire time in order to have the "privilege" of boarding first??

I actually do think if you want to reserve your place in line you should be physically present. Isn' leaving your bag unattended grounds for having it blown up by the airport police?

Does anyone else think that the WN open seating policy encourages eccentric behavior? That is - checking in at the stroke of 24 h before departure, or lining up really early??

Yes, but if you want better, pay a little more for it and travel another airline.

Tbird

Tue May 01, 2007 1:33 am

2- What do people think about putting your bag in the line? Is this a legitimate way of reserving a place in line? Or is it considered rude? That is - should people have to "suffer" and stand up in line the entire time in order to have the "privilege" of boarding first??

First off this isn't allowed as it’s considered an unattended bag. Second it’s totally rude and BS, if you want a good seat then wait on line. Anytime I see this on my flight I'll either just stand at the head of the line ignoring the unattended bags or I'll tell the gate agent the bags are unattended and they make people either stand with them or take them off the line. I don't make many friends this way but I could careless, if you want a good seat stand there like most people.

crjflyer35

Tue May 01, 2007 1:47 am

The 24 hr check in rule is just widely known enough, I kind of enjoy the challenge of getting an A pass for my wife and I. As for the line, I agree with everyone else on the post, either you're up there in line, or you're at the back...heck, it's playing on the loudspeaker in that darn Microsoft Sam voice. "Please report unattended baggage to airport police or airline officials." There ya go.
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

rwsea

Tue May 01, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 1):
Yes, but if you want better, pay a little more for it and travel another airline.

Or in most cases, pay a little less ... ...

drerx7

Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 am

For me its not really about "paying more to fly another airline" -- I like Southwest customer service, airplanes, and punctuality -- the ludicrousness of the lining up hours before time is the one thing I despise about WN - so what do I do, I just click at the stroke of 24 hours and get at the end of the A line. I like to sit with a view of the trailing edge of the wing so if I'm in the A group I'm almost guaranteed that spot because most of those impatient folks want to sit at the front of the plane anyway or aisle seats. Now if I'm in B...its stand in line time or catch that middle seat. My airline of choice is CO...then WN.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

PanAm747

Tue May 01, 2007 2:01 am

There was a thead not too long ago about how Southwest had to take some places to court that would set up their computer to check you in EXACTLY 24 hours ahead of time to make the oh-so-sought-after "A" group.

Quote:
I actually do think if you want to reserve your place in line you should be physically present.

checkmark  I totally agree. An unattended bag is cause for it to be taken out by the bomb squad and the owner arrested. If you're in a group and you take turns going to the restroom, fine. But someone has to be physically present.

You want etiquette? Try Miss Manners. You want a window seat? Throw out everything your mother taught you about "do-unto-others" and push and shove your way to the front of the line.

I dislike Southwest ONLY for the reason of unassigned seating. It has become a free-for-all. With assigned seating, I know what I'm getting.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

PITSpeedbird
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 8):
An unattended bag is cause for it to be taken out by the bomb squad and the owner arrested.

I agree unattended bags are grounds for action -
However -- alot of the times - people leave their bags in line and then sit in the seats about 2 feet from them!
What are your views on this?

thank you for the thoughts -

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

deltagator

Tue May 01, 2007 3:19 am

An unattended bag is cause for it to be taken out by the bomb squad and the owner arrested.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here but if our illustrious and heroic TSA agents are doing their job as they claim they are doing then every bag being carried on should be free and clear of any dangerous items (oh the horror of an old lady with knitting needles!) so therefore the bomb squad wouldn't need to be called.

The only issue with unattended baggage in the secure zone would be thievery by the rifraff in wife beaters and drunks that seem to populate the WN skies (or so I was led to believe by watching their TV show.)  duck 

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 9):
However -- alot of the times - people leave their bags in line and then sit in the seats about 2 feet from them!

If the seats allow such then I'm fine with that though most gatehouses aren't set up this way.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

reality

Tue May 01, 2007 3:22 am

If you are in Boarding Group A or B there is no reason to wait in line (or put your luggage in line) in order to get a window or aisle seat. If you are in A just wait until almost all the other A passengers have boarded and then go to the end of the A line and get on the plane. No hassle. The same goes for B. Even if you are the last one on in the B line, there will be aisle and window seats available near the rear of the plane. Now, if you are in Boarding Group C.....that is a problem.

[Edited 2007-04-30 20:24:46]

WNCrew

Tue May 01, 2007 3:34 am

I am tired of hearing people make fun of WN's lack of "etiquette". I enjoy my job and I love my passengers. Having worked for other carriers and flown MANY airlines we're just as good if not better than any given airlines' Coach product, only I think we do it with a smile most of the time and I think we have admirable customer service standards.

We don't fly people who are any less couth than those who you might find on the likes of AA, CO, B6, F9, NW..you name it. Passengers are all the same and I've seen the same people on ALL airlines...even in First Class. I have my share of first time flyers, as well as regular business travelers in suits/ties etc.

As for our boarding process...I simply wish we had seats in the lines or something so people didn't have to stand so long. It sucks for passengers that have to stand there forever, and then when they get on they're thirsty or hungry or they have to use the bathroom...since they didn't want to loose their place in line to take care of anything.

In the end...a 737 is a 737 is a 737...and as I see it we actually have good legroom compared to others! The same crappy seats are going to be the same crappy seats no matter WHO you're flying. WN's seat 20D sucks JUST as much as UA's 20D...the benefit of WN is that if you don't want to sit there you can choose another seat. You can walk RIGHT past most of the crying babies and head to the back if you like...or choose to sit over the wing. If you're in "C" you're in "C"....take all the crappy seats on AA's 737....there's your "C" group...I'll bet if you asked them why they all ended up with center seats sitting next to crying babies or wide-shouldered guys they'd say there was no other choice....no more seats to choose from. It's all the same....save for the fact that you don't have to CAMP OUT for your middle seats at other carriers.

[Steps down from soapbox].....thanks for letting me rant. I'm proud of my carrier, I love my job and I DO understand how people feel. But always look at the reality, the bigger picture...in the end it's really all the same stuff just with a twist. If Open Seating keeps out turns short then I hope it stays...if we can get away with assigned seating and still turn 'em quick then good. We offer a simple product, small snacks, snack packs, pillows/blankets, sodas, juice coffee (and liquor for $4), comfy leather seats at 33" pitch, and generally have fairly priced tickets. If we don't meet your needs then that's is fine, there are many other great carriers out there to choose from but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Southwest Airlines.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

TVNWZ

Tue May 01, 2007 3:35 am

I ignore the bags. One guy saw that I ignored the bag and tried to get me to move back by saying his bag was there. I replyed that I asked the bag if I could move ahead and it didn't say no. I stayed. He fumed.

unattendedbag

Tue May 01, 2007 3:39 am

Isn' leaving your bag unattended grounds for having it blown up by the airport police?

An unattended bag alone has never been grounds for having it blown up by airport police. There needs to be reasonable evidence that something is potentially dangerous in the bag.

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 9):
alot of the times - people leave their bags in line and then sit in the seats about 2 feet from them!

If you are fortunate to have a seat along side the line, I see no reason why you can't sit and be in line at the same time.
Slower traffic, keep right

legion242

Tue May 01, 2007 3:41 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 14):
I ignore the bags. One guy saw that I ignored the bag and tried to get me to move back by saying his bag was there. I replyed that I asked the bag if I could move ahead and it didn't say no. I stayed. He fumed.

That is classic!!  bigthumbsup 
Don't make me release the monkeys!!

ATCGOD

Tue May 01, 2007 3:44 am

Quoting UnattendedBag (Reply 15):

An unattended bag alone has never been grounds for having it blown up by airport police. There needs to be reasonable evidence that something is potentially dangerous in the bag.

Come on now...joke was intended.

stlgph

Tue May 01, 2007 3:49 am

What do people think about putting your bag in the line? Is this a legitimate way of reserving a place in line?

i say grow some balls and kick it out of the way.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

PITSpeedbird
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 18):
i say grow some balls and kick it out of the way.

I personally dont see any problems with leaving the bag in line if there is a seat 2 feet away. At many stations including PIT, STL and MDW this is the case.

If there is a seat why wouldnt you sit down??

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

FLY2LIM

Tue May 01, 2007 3:57 am

Morning All,

Today I took a WN flight from STL - MDW - PIT.
I have noticed recently that WN boarding practices are getting a little ridiculous.

For example last Friday I was flying PIT - MDW on a 9:35am flight. I decided to check in on Thursday afternoon
at Noon - which I did online, only to find out that I was number 51 for check-in an ALREADY in the "B" boarding group.
Does anyone else think this is a little ridiculous??

This am my flight was scheduled to leave STL at 635 am. People were putting their bags at the line in all lines A, B, C - starting at 530 am!.

My questions are these:
3 - Does anyone else think that the WN open seating policy encourages eccentric behavior? That is - checking in at the stroke of 24 h before departure, or lining up really early??

My two cents - i think the whole thing is ridiculous. Other than that I love WN!

Borrowing your use of the word "ridiculous" to describe your experience, I think the only ridiculous thing I've witnessed is the entire premise for this thread. WN customers are not the only ones who put their bags in line, for example. When you go to church, people put a hat or a scarf or a sweater on a pew to save a spot. At wedding receptions, people put their coats on a chair at the best tables and then go get a drink. Why should putting a bag in line (to state that you arrived "first" at that spot) be any different? I don't do it, but I don't get worked up over people who do.
In fact, and maintaining the airport theme, how many times have I tried to sit at a boarding area and some idiot has placed his/her luggage in the two or three seats next to the one they are occupying? This is not a WN problem.
As for "eccentric behavior," I think you are preaching to the choir. I believe it's probably many a.nutters who sit by their computer waiting until it's exactly 24 hours before their flight so they can choose a boarding pass, or get an upgrade, or anything related to their travels. So, you are addressing quite an eccentric bunch, myself included.
If I was a loyal WN flyer, I'd take exception to your presumption that only WN carries wife beaters and drunks (as someone stated). I've seen plenty on AA, and that's my favorite company. I will, however, fly WN to any route that is not served by AA.

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

bond007

Tue May 01, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 7):
For me its not really about "paying more to fly another airline" -- I like Southwest customer service, airplanes, and punctuality -- the ludicrousness of the lining up hours before time is the one thing I despise about WN

Yep, I really admire the airline as a whole, but I choose not to travel with them purely for their boarding procedures. I know we hear "it's the same everywhere, with assigned seating...", well from somebody who flies every week, often multiple legs, I can tell you it isn't the same, and everytime I walk past a WN gate, I'm glad I chose somebody else. Hey, they get the customers, just I'm not one of 'em.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

highflier92660

Tue May 01, 2007 4:12 am

I would love some professional psychologists or deep thinkers to analyse how it is possible that frequent flying business passengers can be boarded using the Fall-Of-Saigon loading process, not have the luxury of interline baggage, suffer the same lack of service, delays, humiliation and punishment they get on other comparable airlines and yet emerge thinking it is a hoot to travel Southwest? Is it the expectation level that is lower? Is it some secret Southwest corporate mentality that is passed down through the ranks to the passenger that travel aboard Southwest is a fun experience in the same way that eating hot wings at Hooters is a fun dining experience?

Tell me: reading Herb's book yielded no answers.

Boston92

Tue May 01, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 6):
Or in most cases, pay a little less ... ...

Very true... I mostly fly coast to coast and the 139 each way fares (cheapest) times 2 plus fees is always somewhere around 300 bucks. There is always one airline that has a very low fare to an airport like PVD or MHT for somewhere in the low $200's (cheapest I have seen was $124.00 round trip incl taxes LAX-PVD).

But I always pay the $400-$500 needed for UA.

WN, B6, and F9 are good for me when I want to come home from a trip early, and instead of paying the change fees, I just fork out the one way on a LCC.

TVNWZ

Tue May 01, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 22):
I would love some professional psychologists or deep thinkers to analyse how it is possible that frequent flying business passengers can be boarded using the Fall-Of-Saigon loading process, not have the luxury of interline baggage, suffer the same lack of service, delays, humiliation and punishment they get on other comparable airlines and yet emerge thinking it is a hoot to travel Southwest?

Not a psychologist, but am a very frequent flyer and don't mind Southwest. I just make sure I get an A boarding pass. Then I sit and wait until the end of the A line. No hassles. I always get a good seat. You can make it a big hassle, but you don't have to. I even wait until the end of the B line if I have a B pass. I still get a pretty good seat.

Tip for B & C holders: Look for a couple traveling together who are in a window and aisle seat. Ask to sit in the middle. Every time one will scoot over to be by their companion giving me an aisle or window up front.

Boston92

Tue May 01, 2007 4:31 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 24):
Tip for B & C holders: Look for a couple traveling together who are in a window and aisle seat. Ask to sit in the middle. Every time one will scoot over to be by their companion giving me an aisle or window up front.

I just can't get used to this open seating. Every time I fly WN, I have flown UA about 1000 times before and it always get to me even though I have flown WN a very good number of times.

Revelation

Tue May 01, 2007 5:09 am

I think the ability to choose your own seat is a big plus. Being one of the broad-shouldered, long-legged types, I just walk down the aisle till I see a smaller person sitting in the middle seat and then I sit in the aisle seat. That way I'll know there is enough room for my shoulders and legs. Can't do this with other airlines: if I end up to another broad-shouldered person, it's usually a bad flight for both of us. And no one is mentioning that WN tends to give 1-2" more seat pitch than the "legacies".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

SJCRRPAX

Tue May 01, 2007 5:47 am

It's about time we had another "Let's bash WN" thread. This is like a regular feature on A-Net. OK, let me review again why the SJC-Rapid Rewards-PAX flys WN so often.

1. They do charge more for last minute flights, but I have never been gouged.

2. I have never been charged for cancelling or changing a flight, even on the day of the flight!

3. If I pay more for a seat as a last minute business traveler, I normally have equal access to window/Isle seats as those people that book a month or more in advance and pay 1/2 what I do.

4. The RR trips pile up faster than I can use them. (One bitch here, I'd like 1RR credit to be good for 1 RT to Hawaii, not two)

5. The people who work for WN seem to enjoy their jobs, and are always nice to me.

6. Most places I go, I got about 10 different return flights to choose from so if I finish the BIZ early I can go home early!

[Edited 2007-04-30 22:51:05]

bond007

Tue May 01, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Reply 27):
's about time we had another "Let's bash WN" thread. This is like a regular feature on A-Net. OK, let me review again why the SJC-Rapid Rewards-PAX flys WN so often.

OK, but that wasn't the question, and there's no WN 'bashing'.

In fact at least 3 of the posters that dislike their boarding policy, all say how much they like and admire the airline (myself included) ... in fact you cannot dispute their success.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

lotsamiles

Tue May 01, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 26):
I think the ability to choose your own seat is a big plus. Being one of the broad-shouldered, long-legged types, I just walk down the aisle till I see a smaller person sitting in the middle seat and then I sit in the aisle seat. That way I'll know there is enough room for my shoulders and legs. Can't do this with other airlines: if I end up to another broad-shouldered person, it's usually a bad flight for both of us.

That's a valid point. Sitting in my pre-assigned aisle seat on UA I often find myself looking at the last minute boarding pax and wondering if I am going to get the small or very larger person next to me. At least on WN you may be able to control this.

However, any thoughts of flying WN out of LAX (my base) are dashed each time I pass terminal 1 and see the line for check in half way down to terminal 2. If I choose to carry on my bag in the WN model you have to get there early to ensure you have overhead space (besides a good seat). I prefer to pre-board as a UA FF and know I will have the seat and overhead space for sure.

To each his own; obviously there are plenty of customers for both models.

WNCrew

Tue May 01, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting Lotsamiles (Reply 29):
If I choose to carry on my bag in the WN model you have to get there early to ensure you have overhead space (besides a good seat). I prefer to pre-board as a UA FF and know I will have the seat and overhead space for sure.

I know....but if people didn't bring more stuff than they're allowed we wouldn't have this problem. I'm guessing the rules ar enot enforced but someone shouldn't have to be told, people should be adult enough to follow the rules...but THAT won't happen either...I can't even get intelligent business travelers to turns off their PED's...so what was my point again?,,......
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bond007

Tue May 01, 2007 8:33 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 30):
I know....but if people didn't bring more stuff than they're allowed we wouldn't have this problem.

Well, they do because they know they'll probably get away with it. With just a little enforcement from the airlines, a lot more people would be happy (and a few deservedly unhappy!).

...not specific to WN of course, but all airlines.

Jimbo

71Zulu

Tue May 01, 2007 8:44 am

Whatever happened to the WN lawsuit against that travel agency who refused to stop issuing boarding passes for a $5 fee? I know there were several companies doing it, but thought they all stopped when asked to by WN except for one.

WildcatYXU

Tue May 01, 2007 9:36 am

Wow! So many German tourists flying WN? Unbelievable.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

JGPH1A

Tue May 01, 2007 7:06 pm

I flew for the first time with WN the other week (RDU-BWI) and was amazed by the politeness and order in the boarding process. Having frequently experienced the total scrum that is boarding on a Easyjet flight at NCE, where they try to use boarding groups but absolutely nobody gives a damn and everyone just crowds the gate and the gate agents usually just give up, I was very pleasantly surprised at RDU when everyone formed in their correct queue. Admittedly the C group started to form quite early, and as I was in group C (my brother's internet connection was down otherwise I too would have checked in 23 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds before departure), I joined the C queue in position 3. But everyone was in the right line, everyone boarded quietly and without fuss, everyone sat down - I got a window seat, so I was happy. Compared to European LCC boarding, it was pure Emily Post.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

cgnnrw

Tue May 01, 2007 7:47 pm

I've never flown WN so I can't comment on their boading procedures.

However, I have flown 4U many times and have experienced their boarding procedures. It can literally be a free for all. I'm always amazed how rude people suddenly become just so they can get a "good" seat. I've seen grown men AND women push and shove small kids and older people out of their way when boarding started. I once witnessed a guy block another pax using crutches so his girlfriend could get on board first.

Also, something I think Germans are infamous for....one person stands in line and then calls his/her friends and relatives to join them when boarding starts. Suddenly there's 15 people butting in front of you.

I like Germanwings very much and fly them 3-4 times a year. I'm just one of those who belong to the assigned seating crowd.
A330 man.

HBJZA

Tue May 01, 2007 8:22 pm

dislike Southwest ONLY for the reason of unassigned seating. It has become a free-for-all. With assigned seating, I know what I'm getting.

I don't get all the fuss about assigned seating. When flying free seating, you still get a chance to choose you seat even when on group B or C. I for my part hate the assigned seating because when travelling alone, you can be sure that the lady at check in always sits me in the middle seat of the 3 or of the 5. When asking for a particular seat even when checking ways in advance, the reply is always the same : sorry, not available, blah blah blah. At least on free seating flights I had the chance to have an emergency exit seat once, many times window seats and when not available aisle seats but never middle seats as these are for the very last passengers to show up.
Give a break to the airline that practice free seating because don't forget that some people like it.

bond007

Tue May 01, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting HBJZA (Reply 36):
I for my part hate the assigned seating because when travelling alone, you can be sure that the lady at check in always sits me in the middle seat of the 3 or of the 5.

Well, in the US at least, this rarely happens unless the aircraft is full, and you've have the same problem with WN if you boarded last and it was full. With almost all US legacies, you can assign a seat in advance, and worse case during online check-in

Quoting HBJZA (Reply 36):
least on free seating flights I had the chance to have an emergency exit seat once,

Well, I fly every week and have an assigned exit row on every flight. I don't need to leave it to chance.

Jimbo

EPCOT

Tue May 01, 2007 9:17 pm

How about the preboard line? I have never seen as many preboards on other airlines as I have on Southwest. We were leaving Las Vegas last Tuesday and there seemed to be about 30+ preboards on the flights. They ought to rename the lines with A being the preboards and then B, C, and D.  Wink

Seriously, there was one "senior" citizen that had been playing the slots near the gate. When the boarding announcement came, she bounded and ran her way to the gate. I thought I was watching one of those old Hertz commercials with OJ Simpson leaping over chairs and fending off interceptors on his way to the rental car facility.

There were a number of those kids that were pushing the 5 year old rule as well. These must be the same parents that would try to pass off their 12 yo to get the under 10 rate at theme parks and movie theaters.

BTW, I did check in online almost 24 hours in advance, and had to sit there with my two girls (over 5 but under 10) for just over an hour before departure time. No bathroom nearby, no water fountain, etc.

chrisnh

Tue May 01, 2007 9:58 pm

I actually do think if you want to reserve your place in line you should be physically present. Isn' leaving your bag unattended grounds for having it blown up by the airport police?

Excellent point. Your 'bag' is not 'You.' If you want to leave your bag in line as a surrogate for 'you,' then you should be forced to sit in the overhead bin. I'm sure other passengers would make sure you fit.

Chris in NH

tockeyhockey

Tue May 01, 2007 10:01 pm

I have checked in at 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 57 seconds before my flight and gotten a B group ticket. The "board first" website is killing normal boarders.

Anyway, I have done what defenders of WN have been asking me to do for years since I started complaining about the cattle call boarding system -- I have stopped flying WN. I took my last flight a couple of weeks ago (and the only reason I took that was because I had to use up a free ticket). As I walked off a WN jet for the last time, I was as happy as I've ever been in my life!

Obnoxious people, a stressful boarding system, and tickets that aren't even price leading any more. I don't understand why anyone would fly them. But then again, I don't understand why anyone would ever shop at Wal-Mart.

ClearedDirect

Tue May 01, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting EPCOT (Reply 38):
How about the preboard line? I have never seen as many preboards on other airlines as I have on Southwest. We were leaving Las Vegas last Tuesday and there seemed to be about 30+ preboards on the flights

This is so true! On one of my last WN flights I was amazed by this. On one particular flight we all felt sorry for this elderly lady who hobbled up to the gate with the use of a cane for preboarding. Upon our arrival at MCI, while walking through the terminal towards baggage claim - she actually PASSED me carrying her cane - not using it, but carrying it like a pool cue. Myself and two other passengers took notice and laughed, there must have been a miracle performed on that flight!

tockeyhockey

Tue May 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 13):
I am tired of hearing people make fun of WN's lack of "etiquette". I enjoy my job and I love my passengers. Having worked for other carriers and flown MANY airlines we're just as good if not better than any given airlines' Coach product, only I think we do it with a smile most of the time and I think we have admirable customer service standards.

Customer service is great, but do you honestly think we care if you are smiling while you give us our "snack pack" or a 4 oz. glass of pepsi? I can smile all day while serving you crap sandwiches, but that won't make them taste any better.

We don't fly people who are any less couth than those who you might find on the likes of AA, CO, B6, F9, NW..you name it. Passengers are all the same and I've seen the same people on ALL airlines...even in First Class. I have my share of first time flyers, as well as regular business travelers in suits/ties etc.

You obviously haven't been on my last few WN flights!

In the end...a 737 is a 737 is a 737...and as I see it we actually have good legroom compared to others! The same crappy seats are going to be the same crappy seats no matter WHO you're flying. WN's seat 20D sucks JUST as much as UA's 20D...the benefit of WN is that if you don't want to sit there you can choose another seat. You can walk RIGHT past most of the crying babies and head to the back if you like...or choose to sit over the wing. If you're in "C" you're in "C"....take all the crappy seats on AA's 737....there's your "C" group...I'll bet if you asked them why they all ended up with center seats sitting next to crying babies or wide-shouldered guys they'd say there was no other choice....no more seats to choose from. It's all the same....save for the fact that you don't have to CAMP OUT for your middle seats at other carriers.

Wrong. WN's coach is not better than economy plus. And all airlines except WN reward their frequent travelers with upgrades. I flew 5 west coast flights this year and for the next 20 months I am guaranteed economy plus. Can't say the same for WN. And frankly, UA from BWI to SFO is more affordable now than WN from BWI to OAK.

JoeCanuck

Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 pm

I've never flown Southwest, but I've flown with rush seating and I have to say I much prefer assigned seating. Maybe I've just been lucky or it's because most of my flying is done overseas but I almost always get a seat I want, either a window or an aisle.

I don't like standing in line. With an assigned seat, I can lounge around as long as I like before joining the rest of the folks in goat class. I can fart around the airport looking as overpriced crap or calmly finish a beer without worrying about what seat I'll get. I also don't have to worry about the 24 hour thing.
What the...?

777fan

Tue May 01, 2007 10:15 pm

Does anyone else think that the WN open seating policy encourages eccentric behavior? That is - checking in at the stroke of 24 h before departure, or lining up really early??

Ironic thing is, WN has priced out to cost as much or more than UA or AA on flights between BWI and ORD. WN's boarding craziness is one of the things that sent me back to the legacies.

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

OOer

Tue May 01, 2007 10:57 pm

WN's seat 20D sucks JUST as much as UA's 20D

Or you can fly UA and get up to 5 inches more legroom and get E+...

I have noticed that on about 2/3 of flights WN is no longer the cheapest airline. Also most other airlines have a much better FF program that usually includes free upgrades to first. So if you fly so much...you should probably look into other airlines as WN is not a very good product when you are flying over 2 hours, especially when you can fly DL/CO/AA/UA and get some type of IFE, and usually pay less!

ATCGOD

Tue May 01, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 44):

Ironic thing is, WN has priced out to cost as much or more than UA or AA on flights between BWI and ORD. WN's boarding craziness is one of the things that sent me back to the legacies.

That's true in other markets as well...I personally don't fly unless I get their "Ding" fares. Most of the time you can't beat them, but you still can sometimes.

BigOrange

Tue May 01, 2007 11:36 pm

I am tired of hearing people make fun of WN's lack of "etiquette". I enjoy my job and I love my passengers. Having worked for other carriers and flown MANY airlines we're just as good if not better than any given airlines' Coach product, only I think we do it with a smile most of the time and I think we have admirable customer service standards

checkmark 

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 33):
Wow! So many German tourists flying WN? Unbelievable.

rotfl 

I fly whoever comes up with the cheapest fare, and many times I have the luxury of waiting for a DING fare on WN. I don't care about assigned seating, if I can get an 'A' boarding pass then I can sit in a bulkhead or exit row for a little extra leg room.

PITSpeedbird
Topic Author

Tue May 01, 2007 11:51 pm

thanks for the replies -

i still dont see the problem though - if there is a seat 2 feet away from the bag if you leave the bag in line.
it looks a whole lot more sensible than some of the grown adults you see moping around on the floor!

thanks

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

SkyyMaster

Wed May 02, 2007 12:06 am

This type of thing has been going on with WN from ever since I started flying them in the 80's. I used to do a weekly DAL-TUL-DAL trip, and in TUL, people started getting in line the minute they saw ANY WN plane touch the ground, even if it was not for our flight. I think anyone that flies WN regularly enough should know to check in online (now that it's available), get the the airport early, and be prepared to stand in line. I have seen folks put bags in line and walk off. The gate agents promptly removed the bags to behind the counter. I don't know what those folks had to do to get rechecked, but I fly WN 20+ times a year, and for the most part, their people are good in keeping order. There's always going to be someone who absolutely has to be first in line for their boarding group, no matter what. I usually keep an eye on the line, and when I see 5 or more people start making their move, I make mine as well. That's usually when the stampede starts. Yeah, it's a pain, but an acceptable one. Last I heard, the experiment in SAN did not go over well and at least for the immediate future, WN has no plans for totally preassigned seating.

Arcrftlvr

Wed May 02, 2007 12:12 am

Actually, the people that really bother me are the ones that line up in the A group. If you have an "A" boarding pass, then you will get (for the most part) whichever seat you want! The front gets there the same time as the back. So if you want a window or aisle seat, there are many more rows to choose from. Besides, if you checked your luggage, then it doesn't matter if you are first or last off the plane...

In the end...a 737 is a 737 is a 737...and as I see it we actually have good legroom compared to others!

100% AGREE!!! It is comparable to UA's Economy Plus....I challenge anyone to disagree. I would say the worst is either CO or AA (esp. on the MD-80s).

but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Southwest Airlines.

Again, 100% agree....

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 22):
I would love some professional psychologists or deep thinkers to analyse how it is possible that frequent flying business passengers can be boarded using the Fall-Of-Saigon loading process, not have the luxury of interline baggage, suffer the same lack of service, delays, humiliation and punishment they get on other comparable airlines and yet emerge thinking it is a hoot to travel Southwest?

????? I love the fact that WN treats me like a human being and it seems like they legitimately appreciate my business. In addition, if a meeting runs late, or I need to change my flight, nothing beats their change policy. There is no $100 bullshit change fee. In addition, their FF program is the best!

ATCGOD

Wed May 02, 2007 12:22 am

Quoting ArcrftLvr (Reply 50):

100% AGREE!!! It is comparable to UA's Economy Plus....I challenge anyone to disagree.

Challenge accepted...

United Economy PlusSM offers customers more room to sit back and relax, with up to five extra inches of legroom—that's more than any other U.S. airline.

From: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1314,00.html

bond007

Wed May 02, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 51):
Challenge accepted...

..and again!

WN seat pitch 32-33 in
UA Economy Plus 34-36in

Jimbo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos