Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

RE: New Liveries - Could CO Be Next?

Wed May 02, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting TranStar (Reply 49):
My only recommendation to Continental would be to change the font of the titles from Times Roman-ish to an Arial-bold type font.

I would actually suggest using a font similar to Trebuchet MS, and maybe add some green to the globe logo while modernizing it. AT&T has modified their logo a few times, and now the logo looks much more modern. I think CO should modernize their logo as well.

PlanenutzTB

Wed May 02, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
The current one is beautiful. Timeless - like AAs. No need to spend money on rebranding either - CO hasn't tanked and has not a need to try to reintroduce themselves (ficticously) through a pain job in an attempt to continue to cover up lousy cabin service (please see US and DL). Why spend $$$ on something that doesn't need it.

Nope, no rebranding in COs future. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed, leave well enough alone! The current CO livery is one of my favorite, absolutly no need to change it.

ord

Wed May 02, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 48):
I thought the new livery came with Bethune in 1994, not 1991. CO must not have painted many planes prior to 1994 however as I remember seeing mostly red meatball up till that time

No problem. I'm glad I could help clarify when Continental's livery came out.

kangarooman

Wed May 02, 2007 2:40 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 25):
but I have always been lukewarm on their paint scheme. Looks very business-like. Not very... stylish.

You highlighted the exact reason they have kept the livery it's business like and the main core of there business is based on the folks sitting in J plus it goes perfectly with their slogan 'Work Hard Fly Right' and while it may not be stylish to you it is to plenty of other people

Quoting BN727 (Reply 37):
2. Boring/ bland: Continental, Northwest,

This I don't agree with for either of these as above I would class CO's business like/classically stylish and NW's striking/interesting

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 36):
CO's branding is simple, sleek and recognisable, and works perfectly for CO.

You hit the nail on the head

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 47):
CO, though not perfect, has about the best reputation of any of the big six U.S. legacy carriers.

I've got to say that your right, of the six I deal with CO, US and DL pax and crew's nearly every day and I have to say by far that CO's pax and crew are nicer. The US and DL crews always have an attitude! Especially the flight deck

Plus to enter the timeless US Transatlantic F/A's debate CO wins hands down they send in young friendly crews not the OAP attitude brigade that US and DL send in

Roo

jetdeltamsy

Wed May 02, 2007 3:23 am

I think this is a completely pointless topic.

Why would Continental change its livery? Their brand identity very well recognized. Their company's reputation is one of excellent quality.

Logo's and liveries are changed to disassociate a company from the past...to indicate a change of direction in a company's ownership, philosophy or image. One of Continental's strongest assets is the reputation it has earned over the last 10 years. They would be nuts to disassociate themselves from an image that has become one of quality, performance and good service.

rb211

Wed May 02, 2007 3:28 am

I really like this one...
Big version: Width: 1000 Height: 325 File size: 67kb

n844aa

Wed May 02, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting TranStar (Reply 49):
The font used in Continental's branding is out of style now. United Airlines used a simlar type of font and opted for a simply Arial-type font in its new livery.

I do agree that the font is dated, but a.) it's not as dated as the EA/UA-type tubular lettering, and b.) it's a distinctive part of the CO corporate identity. I think it's worth keeping. If someday it begins looking ridiculous, then of course it should be reevaluated, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

This is a false choice.

CO, though not perfect, has about the best reputation of any of the big six U.S. legacy carriers.

Well, sure, aircraft have to be repainted, but I don't think you can really characterize it as a false choice, especially in light of your concluding statement. We're all subject to allocation of scarce resources, and airliners moreso than most. It's a non-trivial expense to devise a new corporate identity and then implement it in short order. (This, remember, was one of Bethune's complaints when he came onboard -- that years later the new branding had only been applied to a subset of planes.) If implementing that identity is going to cost that guy in row 5 (or 9D  Wink) an extra fifty cents, then again I ask, what's the point? The current livery is classy, reasonably distinctive, reasonably modern, and an integral part of CO's branding efforts.

LTU932

Wed May 02, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 11):
AA's A300s were originally painted grey, due to the bonded primer on Airbus a/c. Eventually a deal was worked out in which either the primer was able to be removed, or the aircraft were given a different skin, thus being allowed to be polished.

AFAIK, the primer was not removed. The aircraft was reskinned, but there were some parts that couldn't be reskinned, hence why it has so many painted "patches" when compared to other aircraft that come from the factory with an aluminium skin in green or yellow primer. I believe that in fact, that primer could be removed (don't quote me on this though), the problem is the material of the skin, hence why the AA AB6s were painted grey and not in the traditional polished metal colours until getting their metal skin.

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
New Liveries - Could CO Be Next?

Absolutely not! CO's colourscheme should stay as it is. They don't need a rebranding right now.

Pronto

Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 am

No!! Please don't change, Continental!! I can't believe how "old" the current livery is - yet it still looks new and "refreshing". No need to change it, so don't!!

Gnomon

Wed May 02, 2007 5:06 am

If you look at all CO-branded material now, including the CO Web site, you'll see that the logo in use is an updated, slightly modernized, two-color version of the tail logo used since 1991. They've kept, of course, the serif font for "Continental," which works great alongside the modified logo.

If indeed a modification to the aircraft livery is, or one day will be, in the works, I wouldn't be surprised to see it incorporate that version of the logo.

I'd note that, in the two or so years leading up to Delta's 1997 rebranding, the typeface and color of "Delta Air Lines" on everything but DL aircraft changed from the traditional all-caps, slanted sans-serif font to the two-toned serif type used from 1997-2000. Those two-toned "Delta Air Lines" serif titles that would be used in the 1997 livery even appeared in 1995 on DL's 762 and MD-11 that saluted the 1996 Olympics in ATL, some two years before the Allen/Landor redesign was launched fleetwide. [Of course, the 2000 "Colors in Motion" and the new 2007 livery weren't "previewed" at all prior to announcement.]

Also, United dispensed with its Wolf-era logo and typeface as early as 1999-2000, using the typeface and logo of its current brand identity some years before the actual livery debuted on an aircraft. (The mysterious appearance of the new typeface on UA-branded materials and airport ticket counters sparked many a speculative discussion on this forum, IIRC).

Perhaps CO's modified logo is another iteration of that trend...? It certainly suggests something, IMO.

As for the merits of the argument with respect to whether CO actually needs a new livery, I'd say the font works great, but the globe with gold accents on the tail is a bit 1990s. That's just my opinion, though. I do agree that CO generally has an excellent brand image. And while it's true that there's no reason to change for the sake of change, corporate identities do tend to be freshened from time to time -- good brand images or reputations notwithstanding -- simply to keep up with changing and modernizing visual motifs and aesthetics.

dw9115

Wed May 02, 2007 5:25 am

They need to leave well enough alone it is a classy looking paint scheme everyone saw what Delta just did to there paint scheme with that new ugly one they just rolled out.

Slovacek747

Wed May 02, 2007 5:40 am

I do think CO livery is classy; however, I would like to see minor changes to the white fuselage. I do like the tail and think it should stay for brand recognition purposes.

Slovacek747

primetimeDC9

Wed May 02, 2007 5:53 am

how bout something not predominantly white, blue and gold, black and gold, maybe some white lettering, something to differentiate between every other plane out there would be nice.

beertrucker

Wed May 02, 2007 6:20 am

Here we go agian with how much money it costs to paint all the planes something new. All the major airlines repaint thier planes when they go in for thier B checks I think it is called. They all get striped and repainted. They all spend the same money on paint as before. They just have a diffrent paint job to do is all.

davidkunzVIE

Wed May 02, 2007 6:45 am

And how much do airlines pay the design companies and for the refurbishment of all counters, gate areas, uniforms, etc.?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2007 6:50 am

Here is what I would suggest for a new CO livery:
  • The CO globe should have a color scheme that stands out more. I like the idea of a globe in green and light blue.
  • Repaint the belly to a deep green color.
  • Use a new sans-serif font for the typeface, such as Trebuchet MS.
  • Use a red cheatline running through the windows.
  •  
    Arcano

Wed May 02, 2007 7:39 am

I don't know what will be next, but I can tell that as AI, UA, DL, NW ans some others iy will have a tail where the logo is so large that won't fit.

Logos larger than tales... the eurowhite of the 2000s! be original, people!

Lemurs

Wed May 02, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting Arcano (Reply 66):
    I don't know what will be next, but I can tell that as AI, UA, DL, NW ans some others iy will have a tail where the logo is so large that won't fit.

Logos larger than tales... the eurowhite of the 2000s! be original, people

It's very Web 2.0, which is the styling cues they're trying to cash in on. The colors, layouts, simple shapes...it screams Web 2.0. Of course, just like the .com boom, no one has proven that Web 2.0 isn't anything more than good PR for E-business as usual. Look for these newer designs to start feeling dated in the next 5 years. CO will still look simple, clean, and professional.

FL370

Wed May 02, 2007 9:20 am

I don't think CO needs to re-brand. their current scheme is nice and classic like AA. US repainted cuz they merged, DL made the dumbest move in aviation history(thats what i think). UA made a good choice, their old gray scheme was boring and old. CO is on a good path, no need to wonder off onto another path that leads to diaster.

fl370

nosedive

Wed May 02, 2007 10:49 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 65):
    The CO globe should have a color scheme that stands out more. I like the idea of a globe in green and light blue.
    Repaint the belly to a deep green color.
    Use a new sans-serif font for the typeface, such as Trebuchet MS.
    Use a red cheatline running through the windows.

Green (maybe 2 shades?), light blue, red cheatline.... so a Peter Maxification, of sorts, to the regular CO livery.... best stick to playing on airliners.net  Wink

Popski87

Wed May 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Actually I have heard that the polishing needed to be done to keep the fuselage of AA planes from corroding offset's most of the weight benefits gained by keeping the planes unpainted. And remember AA is expected to replace their mad dogs with 737RS which will also most likely be composite. So a new livery when/if they receive their 787s would not come to me as a surprise.

MP

Wed May 02, 2007 10:34 pm

A new CO livery would be likely on the new B787-8, B787-9.
    I absolutely agree with the fact that the CO font could need an update to keep it more fresh and modern. A new fuselage painting would also be nice, especially a curved belly to keep the whole livery more vital and make it fit with the B787 design.

Here are some quick attempts on what I would like to see as a new CO livery. Actually I like the current colours of gold and blue and this combination would look pretty good on a chrome fuselage. A chrome fuselage is quite an eye catcher and makes the whole aircraft even more shiny.
    A few days ago I saw a B747-400F of JAL Cargo landing at Narita, in the early morning hours and I must say, that the sun light reflections on a chrome fuselage are stunning.

Another guess for a new tail logo would be something like a golden or chrome world map. It's not very original, as TWA already had a world mad on their fuselage, but it would give the aircraft a nice effect. I was thinking in something like the chrome, that SAS uses on their fuselage font.

[Edited 2007-05-02 15:35:22]

rb211

Wed May 02, 2007 11:31 pm

I think airlines like to fix things that aren't broken and miss the bottom line. If you're losing millions, the problem isn't the paint job. The problem is management. American Airlines hasn't changed their look since God knows when, and people identify with them well because of it. I hear people say that it's just a paint job, it's still how you first identify an airline. If you've flown Delta since 1970 , the Widget & the L-1011 is what you more than likely still identify with as Delta. Continental had the Black Meatball & DC-10, Pan Am had the Blue Meatball and 747's, But then again that WAS the golden age of flying. Airlines had personality and an identity. Now it's all-white fuselages with a name and some paint on the tail. Aah to be young again!

antoniemey

Thu May 03, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 65):
    # The CO globe should have a color scheme that stands out more. I like the idea of a globe in green and light blue.
    # Repaint the belly to a deep green color.
    # Use a new sans-serif font for the typeface, such as Trebuchet MS.
    # Use a red cheatline running through the windows.

Umm... Eww?

[Edited 2007-05-02 22:18:53]

1337Delta764
    Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 73):
    Umm... Eww?

What exactly do you have against my CO livery idea?

deltal1011man

Thu May 03, 2007 7:50 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):
    Nope, no rebranding in COs future. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

i agree.....now can someone please tell DL this so they dont paint all there planes with that new crap

nosedive

Thu May 03, 2007 7:53 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 74):
    Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 73):Umm... Eww?
    What exactly do you have against my CO livery idea?

um, it's horrible?

ikramerica

Thu May 03, 2007 7:59 am

Quoting MP (Reply 71):

Great post. I agree that CO could introduce a modified livery for the 788 and all future planes.

Airline modify and existing livery when they don't want to re-invent themselves. QF, VS, etc. Just a minor change for freshness.

The 787 is a great time to do it.

And I like those mockups. Nice work. I would vote for the body globe of 5 with the rest of 1 or 2. Silver underside, body globe in ghosted silver on white, full blue on the tail with either the bigger or smaller gold globe. Also, I'd reinforce the latitude lines on the tail a little. They get a bit lost. You might also want to play with the cheat line, make a bit more swooping like the Dreamliner livery "wave."

Not sure about changing the font though. It would cost CO quite a bit to do that. But the new livery which keeps the globe and the colors would cost nothing to implement, as stationary and the like could remain the same, and planes would only be repainted on C checks. The old livery would "match" pretty well.

ksupilot

Thu May 03, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting MP (Reply 71):
    A new CO livery would be likely on the new B787-8, B787-9.
    I absolutely agree with the fact that the CO font could need an update to keep it more fresh and modern. A new fuselage painting would also be nice, especially a curved belly to keep the whole livery more vital and make it fit with the B787 design.

Here are some quick attempts on what I would like to see as a new CO livery. Actually I like the current colours of gold and blue and this combination would look pretty good on a chrome fuselage. A chrome fuselage is quite an eye catcher and makes the whole aircraft even more shiny.
    A few days ago I saw a B747-400F of JAL Cargo landing at Narita, in the early morning hours and I must say, that the sun light reflections on a chrome fuselage are stunning.

Another guess for a new tail logo would be something like a golden or chrome world map. It's not very original, as TWA already had a world mad on their fuselage, but it would give the aircraft a nice effect. I was thinking in something like the chrome, that SAS uses on their fuselage font.

I like the top on the best...keeps the current scheme and modernizes it a bit...unless CO pulls a DL and does something horrible to their livery, I think we will see something similar to this eventually.

MP

Thu May 03, 2007 9:08 am

Thank you for the feedback.

I must say, that I'm not likely to see CO in a completely new livery. Some minor changes on the line layou would be great, like you said, Ikramerica, a more wavier line.

These concepts were done before reading your replies, but as I told before, I like the idea of a chrome world map. I made some illustrations were I applied the map and another tail logo. It's just a try-out of an idea I got in my mind.

ikramerica

Thu May 03, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting MP (Reply 79):

No problem. You are doing great work!

Okay, those are some good changes.

If you have it in you, would you try your (new) #1 with the #2 tail and the #3 blue cheat line addition? I think that might be the answer...

Though I do wonder if the world on the fuselage looks too much like TWA's newest livery? The silver globe might work.

The things to consider are that:
    -CO will keep the same colors they use now.
    -Silver on top looks cool, but silver on the bottom w/ white on top matches their current livery better
    -787s will have monochrome engines, so silver or white is likely. The engine maker logo is distracting anyway.

But it would be cool to see an entirely silver version of what I described above, too. Various shades of white and silver only. Kind of a "logo jet" that they could do.

If you get this perfected, I'd suggest sending it to CO and saying you want no compensation other than a free trip to the launch of the livery if they use it (or one very close). These mockups are so much better than what some people come up with for new livery ideas, even better than a lot of these "professional" companies that get linked some times.

Bravo.

BN727

Thu May 03, 2007 12:31 pm

Quoting MP (Reply 79):
    These concepts were done before reading your replies, but as I told before, I like the idea of a chrome world map. I made some illustrations were I applied the map and another tail logo. It's just a try-out of an idea I got in my mind.

Every single one of these concept designs are a 100 percent improvement over Continentals current scheme.

ksupilot

Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 pm

Quoting BN727 (Reply 81):
    Quoting MP (Reply 79):

Every single one of these concept designs are a 100 percent improvement over Continentals current scheme.

That top one is amazing. Jeez let's hope CO hires you to improve the current livery.

VC10DC10

Thu May 03, 2007 2:08 pm

1. "Bland as the Food We Serve" Livery Club: Continental, USAir, Delta (all the liveries, including Widget)
    2. "Dated as Hell" Livery Club: American (apart from the bare skin, it's not classic at all: just look at the terrible font), Southwest (garishness went out in the 1980s).
    3. "We're contemporary, but we know what we're doing, because we've been in the airline business since your granddad was in short pants" Livery Club: United, Northwest (I especially like the fact that Northwest has been using the same basic colors since the 1940s: silver/grey; red (especially on the tail); and navy blue.
    4. "Dorkier than your roommate freshman year" Livery Club: Alaska, AirTran

Just my opinions  Smile.

Quoting Rj777 (Reply 44):

I think NW will do new one when they emerge next month. I know, they just got rid of the bowling shoe scheme and went to the silver compass scheme, but I think they will go with something new.

What makes you think that? Northwest doesn't change its livery very much:

1948-1958: First "Red Tail" livery
    1958-1962: Slight variation of same
    1962-1970: "White top" livery with "Northwest" above the windowline in elongated dark-blue lettering
    1970-1989: Classic livery with broad white and navy cheatlines and red "Northwest Orient" titling in a rather square sans-serif font -- lots of bare skin
    1989-2003: "Bowling shoe" livery
    2003-present: "Compass" livery

Note that in all of these liveries, the basic colors have been bright red, silver or grey, and navy blue (with occasional white accents). Now that's brand continuity -- plus the little fact that NW has been with us since Nineteen-hundred and Twenty-Six (long time ago, eh?).

That said, even though I think that Northwest's esteemed partner Continental's livery is a bit dry, I think it should stay: if nothing else, it offends no one. Oh, and serif fonts (the Times New Roman family) are coming back, I swear.

LTU932

Thu May 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Quoting MP (Reply 79):
    It's just a try-out of an idea I got in my mind.

Combine the tail of the first one with the last one, and it would be perfect.  Wink

LAXdude1023

Thu May 03, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting MP (Reply 79):

I dig, I really do!!! Good job MP!!! If they change, I hope they go with a paint job similar to what you have suggested!!!

However I must say, of all the airlines and their liveries, (in my opinion) CO is the least in need of a new livery. I like CO's current livery, I think its classy.

ikramerica

Thu May 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 85):
    However I must say, of all the airlines and their liveries, (in my opinion) CO is the least in need of a new livery. I like CO's current livery, I think its classy.

I thought that too. Then I looked at his livery modifications, and at the 777 model I have, and the 777 looks less interesting. I like the blue extending into the body of the proposed designs, though it's obviously more expensive.

MP

Thu May 03, 2007 11:59 pm

Thanks everybody for the good feedback.

Well, I wish that the airlines let their customers and passengers also decide about their new liveries. The opinions about a good paint job are so different and would likely take part in that decision process. I remember when JAL changed their logo and livery a few years ago. The new logo was done by one of the world's best branding agencies, Landor, but unfortunately they took away the old, and definetely largely recognizable, Tsuro bird on the tail.
    A lot of people at the airport always say, that the Pavian butt is landing, when JAL arrives. Well, that's true somehow.

In my opinion, a new livery should always combine something traditional with the known airline identity. New colour schemes are always welcome, as well as new and fresh design elements, but the company should never take away their logo or change it in a way, that nobody would recognize it anymore. Most airines have done that.

Actually people and passengers too, always identify an airline by their logo and livery. A total and radical change makes it difficult for the people to remember and also identify themselves with the airline they like or identify with.

Times always change and airlines as well. It's always good to see an airlines refreshing their livery and brand, but not completely changing it. A complete brand change also changes their whole identity. That's shouldn't be their intention nor their customers.

But there are definetely airlines out there who got a great design and brand, but could need a small update and refresher. Nothing radical nor challenging, but sometging to make them fit to the 21st century and remind them of their historic role in aviation. LH would be a nice candidate for me. They could give a try on a new livery that combines their actual livery with the past liveries, from the 50th or 70th for example. Nothing extreme new, more conversative, but bringing back their old oval tail design.

Ok, so here are now the latest updates on the concept. I added a blue cheatline and made some variations with a chrome-style fuselage.

Somehow, no 3 and no6 are my favourites.

NASCARAirforce

Fri May 04, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting MCIGuy (Reply 1):
    I don't know, but I've never liked the current one. Then again, I was a fan of the orange and gold "meatball" livery of the 70s

Wasn't the 70's livery called the "burnt meatball" since it was black? I thought the meatball itself came out in the 80s?

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 4):
    People see that livery and associate it with great customer service, and an airline that has been doing quite well. They are in no need of a re-branding.

What about Northwest's bowling shoe in the late 1980s? Wasn't Northwest doing well still at that point? They had their early financial problems around 1992-93 right? Also Delta when they did their first rebranding in 1997, weren't they doing quite well at that point? So why did they rebrand?

CO777DAL

Fri May 04, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting MP (Reply 87):

Wow, you do a really good job! I like that you put back the current CO font.

antoniemey

Fri May 04, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting MP (Reply 87):
    Ok, so here are now the latest updates on the concept.

See... I like the concepts, the colors, etc...

My issue with it is that it continues the current fad of making the emblem too big to fit on the tail. Granted, CO's current globe goes off the tail, but that's because of the slope of the forward edge, not because they intentionally made it too big to fit.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 88):
    So why did they rebrand?

CEO Hubris.

MP

Fri May 04, 2007 4:21 am

Well, you're right. Most airlines use an overlarge tail logo, like Qatar Airways for example. I think it depends on the kind of logo. I don't know if a large Continental logo would fit well on the aircraft regarding the slope. It may turn out well, but therefore we need to see it in 3D.

In my view, a logo, like I showed on the 2nd concept, that is faded downwards. It would prevent the logo looking distorted.

philhyde

Fri May 04, 2007 4:30 am

Nice job. I do like #6.  thumbsup 

Quoting MP (Reply 87):
    Somehow, no 3 and no6 are my favourites.

at777

Fri May 04, 2007 11:49 am

Quoting PanAm747LHR (Reply 40):
    And along with our new corporate image, which I'd love to see, give us new uniforms!!!

I'd love to see something like this roll out of the paint hanger...

Modified Airliner Photos:

Design © R P Abraham
    Template © R P Abraham

Happy Flying,
    Nick

Personally I really like this one. It just looks elegant and smooth. Nice flowing lines.
    Anyone else?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos