Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ikramerica

RE: Kenya Airways 737-800 Lost

Sun May 06, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Cloudyapple (Reply 132):
Reverse thrust failed to deploy on landing. SWA1248 overran the runway onto a road.

That's like saying: "An SUV ran over a child." No, it was the driver.

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 136):
Not criticizing, just making the facts clear that the thrust reversers did not "fail" to deploy...they were just deployed very late.

Yep. Cloudyapple removed any pilot error from those reports for whatever reason.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

omoo

Sun May 06, 2007 8:09 am

Serial number 35069 LN:2079
Type 737-8AL
First flight date 09/10/2006

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stuart Haigh - topjetpix

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © A J Best

Fly Air Popobawa

malaysia

Sun May 06, 2007 8:16 am

Do I need a medical to be an African Bush Merc Pilot?

Things look grim for the outcome, but sure hope survivors are found.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

BMIFlyer

Sun May 06, 2007 8:19 am

God  Sad

tombstone  to all on board  Sad

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

B747-437B

Sun May 06, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting Ryanair737 (Reply 143):
This crash really emphasises on the real danger of operating in West Africa at night with these conditions and with very little weather information from the tower.

Weather in West Africa is highly unpredictable and systems can demonstrate behaviour that leaves everybody scratching their heads, including the tower. I've always maintained that operating in this region is one of the most challenging things a pilot will experience in their career and you can tell a truly exceptional airman apart from a merely good one judging by how they handle themselves. That said, I know more than a few of the KQ 737 pilots and while some of the commanders tend to be on the younger side in age than the industry average, they are consumate professionals who have cut their teeth in these kind of conditions and know how to deal with things.

Any word if the passenger/crew list has been released yet?

shanderawx

Sun May 06, 2007 8:36 am

My condolences to all the families and to the staff of Kenya Ailways for this tragic loss.

iclcy

Sun May 06, 2007 8:52 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 147):
CNN has the tornado's in USA and Skynews has the missing child in Portugal.

Damn those tornado's & shame on that child for being abducted

For the benefit of those who are geographically challenged Cameroon is in Central Africa - West Africa stops at Nigeria.

Instead of posting random facts about this that & the other & pointless posts of prayers/hope all is well nonsense.

Remember that 1,000's of people in this area die everyday from starvation, illness, conflict etc

EMA747

Sun May 06, 2007 10:53 am

Just read this from Fox.

Quote:

Quote:
'He said residents in the area, which has few roads and is dotted by small villages, reported hearing a "large boom" during the night, and some said they saw a flash of fire that looked markedly different from lightning.'

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/N...EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1

Obviously unconfermed but adds to the fact that this doesn't look good at all.  Sad
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

GARUDAROD

Sun May 06, 2007 11:58 am

Quoting 6YJJK (Reply 110):
Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 93):
Please dont pass on information as fact unless you know it to be true.

Do any of us know anything to be true here? We can't even trust what we read in the newspaper, especially when it comes to aviation!

6YJJK
I was refering specifically to the quote that the person said this particular flight had to make 3 missed approaches.
What actually happened is a passenger on a similiar flight experienced 3 missed approaches and somehow
that was taken to be fact that that occurred before the plane crashed in this instance. That is spreading
mis-information!
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

Aleksandar

Sun May 06, 2007 12:03 pm

Another horrible tragedy. My God bless the souls of all the victims  tombstone 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

warren747sp

Sun May 06, 2007 12:29 pm

It is always rough weather around the tropics in the middle of the night onthe African continent. My experience is that even a jumbo at FL39000 gets shaken a lot. I hope they get to the bottom of this quickly as I do fly KQ quite a bit and consider it the second best carrier in Africa after SAA.
May God bless all the souls on board.
747SP

wjcandee

Sun May 06, 2007 1:41 pm

Well...it's after dawn in Cameroon; maybe there will be some word soon... I'm eager for them to recover the CVR so the mindless media speculation can end already.

wukka

Sun May 06, 2007 1:45 pm

Quoting Warren747sp (Reply 160):
My experience is that even a jumbo at FL39000 gets shaken a lot.

Yeah, I would expect that a jumbo leaving the atmosphere and entering orbit would be a rather bumpy ride.

That said, best to all of the souls on board, and may the recovery be speedy so that this scenario doesn't have to repeat itself.
We can agree to disagree.

Motorhussy

Sun May 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Makiwani! Makiwani! Makiwani!

Oh those poor families and those souls lost on board. Another tragedy for the continent.

MH
come visit the south pacific

sxmarbury33

Sun May 06, 2007 3:21 pm

I'm sorry but why in this day and age can we not find a brand new 738? Peoples lives are at stake and they cant find it? This seems unacceptable. I could understand if they knew where the crash was but couldnt get to it logistically, but to flat out have no idea 12+ hours later is not right. And by "they" I mean Boeing/Airbus, every airline on this planet, and governments around the world.

1 GPS Tramsmitter on board brand new 738 + Crisis management team at Boeing with appropriate software= Found Plane
Now if you add +1 phone call to Kenya Airlines+ 1 phone call to the local government= Drastically reduced search time

I cant remember specifically but wasnt this a problem with the aformentioned GOL crash. Why arent these locators done via satelite as well as radio. I understand if the plane is hundreds of feet underwater its a moot point, but this seems like a cheap "addition" that should have been added by now. I have no idea how much these locators cost but I cant imagine a satelite locator would be more than $250,000 which would easily pay for itself in possible insurance premium reductions or government tax credits. And for airlines such as Kenya who fly over very remote areas, have I would assume strong balance sheets, and are striving to become a world class airline this should be a no brainer.

andz

Sun May 06, 2007 3:39 pm

I heard about this incident yesterday when I was in Barcelona. I flew down over Africa last night and was wondering if they had found it as I heard no more reports other than the initial one, until reading this thread.

Quoting Warren747sp (Reply 160):
It is always rough weather around the tropics in the middle of the night onthe African continent. My experience is that even a jumbo at FL39000 gets shaken a lot.

I flew north on Monday night and arrived back this morning, both flights remarkably smooth, not even a seatbelt sign switched on during the night.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

JoeCanuck

Sun May 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Quoting Sxmarbury33 (Reply 164):

Excellent point. Black boxes and elt's have been around for decades. Why they are still so vulnerable is beyond me, and apparently, beyond current technology too. You can make a phone call from anywhere on the planet but locating a plane filled with people is impossible.

Of course, this crazy talk will be forgotten again in a few days. Imagine the outrage if this happened in Europe or America...
What the...?

Thorben

Sun May 06, 2007 4:20 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 150):
That's like saying: "An SUV ran over a child." No, it was the driver.

A driver without the SUV would have

a) probably seen the child and been able to stop

b) not been so harmful to the child
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

Pu752

Sun May 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Let'em all rest in peace if this was an after T/O accident

Beaucaire

Sun May 06, 2007 4:38 pm

From a technology point of view it is quite easy to build a software that monitors transponder-activity and matches this with GPS localiser.
Once one of the signals stop,you flag a GPS mark with the precise location where the event occurred.This is the place you want to search.
Currently many trucks have a GPL localizer monitored by the truck-company,allowing them at each moment to know where a truck is.This should be possible with not much effort on commercial planes.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Stealthz

Sun May 06, 2007 4:40 pm

I'm sorry but why in this day and age can we not find a brand new 738?

Knowing where the aircraft is and actually getting to it in an Equatorial rain forest in driving rain are 2 very different things. A relatively early report spoke of an ELT transmission and later reports from local villages mention explosions and flashes of light. Getting to those sites could take some time.
This is not like finding a crash site in the Hollywood hills. Camaroon is a country approx the same area of California and a total of 5000km of paved roads, an airforce that has 6 less helicopters than the LAPD.

Give the somewhat stretched local authorities a break.

Quoting Thorben (Reply 167):
A driver without the SUV would have

a) probably seen the child and been able to stop

b) not been so harmful to the child

Perhaps but the SUV cannot hit the child on it's own, nor could the Southwest 737 incorrectly operate itself.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

sxmarbury33

Sun May 06, 2007 5:13 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 170):
Knowing where the aircraft is and actually getting to it in an Equatorial rain forest in driving rain are 2 very different things.

As I said in my post I understand the logistical challanges involved. What im saying is that as far as I know they still cant find the wreckage. Even if you can only see the location from thousands of miles away on a computer screen you can still give valuable information to rescuers so that they can begin planning the logisitcs of the operation. Some universal cordinates would probably be very helpful at this point.

Stealthz

Sun May 06, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting Sxmarbury33 (Reply 171):
you can still give valuable information to rescuers so that they can begin planning the logisitcs of the operation.

And from your priveliged and comfortable position thousands of km away, you have knowledge that they have not done this.

Much of what you read here and in the media is speculation based on what little information is (IMHO rightly so) released.
You have no idea what information the local authorities (or not so local) are working with or may have supplied to anyone capable of assisting with the search/rescue effort.

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

saleya22r

Sun May 06, 2007 5:44 pm

According to several sources this morning, the plane went down near Lolodorf 145 kms south of Douala. This does not quite fit with the information that the contact was lost and the distress call was received 12 minutes after departure, does it? However if this location is roughly correct one might assume that the flight had almost reached its cruising altitude, right?
What factors apart from a mid air collision or an explosion can cause a disaster at this stage when we are talking about a brand new 738? Extreme turbulence/thunderstorms/rain resulting in engine flameout and/or high altitude stall?

overlander

Sun May 06, 2007 5:45 pm

I hope for the best for all souls.

Unfortunately, in my experience the roads after leaving the main conurbations in West and Central Africa tend to be 'graded' rather than metalled surfaces. And, yes they will deteriorate if there is rain.

Cameroon and forward of that is the Central African Republic and the Democratic Republic of Congo and once you are out of the main conurbations you are really on your own. Communications can be quite difficult in these areas so they might find it hard to notify the authorities.

But, one thing I am sure of is if the local people have heard the plane go down and realise there are people in trouble they will definately try and help to the best of their ability.
It is better to travel hopefully.............but, always be prepared for the worst!

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Quoting StealthZ (Reply 170):
Knowing where the aircraft is and actually getting to it in an Equatorial rain forest in driving rain are 2 very different things.

The rain has now been replaced by fog. The area is apparently mountainous, with dense forest, rudimentary roads, and basic infrastructure. The helicopters are very restricted in their use, and planes of very little use at all. To see the wreckage if it has penetrated forest cover without leaving a scar might need a sighting from the ground.

There is a good Washington Post report of the local conditions facing searchers at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...e/2007/05/06/AR2007050600134.html.
(needs subscription).

The pain for the friends and relatives, and the fellow staff of KQ must be extreme. A terrible time. One can only imagine it.

Hopefully there will be a miracle, and there will be survivors...Now that would be something. One should not count it out until the evidence is there. We should not assume the worst if we can't see it. Though the plane was full of fuel, at the start of its flight, the rain and the saturated forest could help as well as impeed...I am not wishing false hope - just that the searchers do not yet know if they are rescuers or not. Not yet.

CV990

Sun May 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Hi!

Surely the search of KQ 738 will be extreme difficult, and I was just thinking about the GOL 738 that crashed in the Amazonia jungle, it was extremely hard to get the first sights of the crashed plane, and then to reach the area was also very difficult, and we are talking about different types of terrain and meteo conditions, in Brazil the place was a jungle but quite flat, and the weather conditions were not bad at that time, we could see the helicopters getting there quite easely, and Brazilian Air Force had a lot of resouces to get there, am airport 100 kms close to the crash area, etc. etc. Here looks that we have mountain terrain, rain, fog, and the resources are not that big, of course Cameroon Air Force is doing the best they can and let's hope that first of all the can locate the crash site......that would be wonderfull!
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

VC10DC10

Sun May 06, 2007 6:01 pm

I wonder if there are any important naval vessels in the South Atlantic at the moment... if the orders came down from on high in Washington, London, Paris, or Moscow, ships could use their helicopters to the search and rescue effort, and provide supplies, etc., for the survivors (because I'm still hoping). Of course, a single frigate or destroyer wouldn't be worth much for this, but an aircraft carrier or amphibious warfare ship would be -- if it can get in place in time. I have no idea if anything is in the area, but I'm sure that if there is, its owners are considering helping with this tragedy.

philb

Sun May 06, 2007 6:06 pm

I'm sorry but why in this day and age can we not find a brand new 738?

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 169):
From a technology point of view it is quite easy to build a software that monitors transponder-activity and matches this with GPS localiser.

You are both basically correct but you have to accept that govrnments have to provide the on the ground infrastructure and, in the less developed parts of the world not only are they broke but a great deal of money that is donated for projects is syphoned off by individuals or into private armies.

In another post someone mentioned the fleet of the Cameroon Air Force. Looks good on paper but how many of those aircraft have trained pilots, how many are airworthy and how many can be usefully flown on an SAR mission?

Back to keeping track of aircraft. Have a look at ADS-B.htm" target=_blank>http://adsb.tc.faa.gov/ADS-B.htm
ADS-B is already tracking thousands of aircraft, vehicles and ships cheaply and accurately. All computer download programmes record precisely the last position. The receiving station is a simple aerial (half or one metre) feeding a signal into a decoder, thence to a computer which displays a radar like picture. In underpopulated areas the signal can be relayed from the receiving decoder on another frequency to a central computer. Over oceans it can be sent from the aircraft via satellite, again to a simple aerial and decoder linked to a computer.

My own aerial/decoder/computer set up cost precisely €1300 (around $1766) and, from a base height of 5 ft AMSL on top of a 27 foot pole, pulls in signals without any booster, from up to 250 miles away over the ocean and up to 200 miles away over land from aircraft at heights down to FL130 or there abouts depending on mountains etc.

A series of aerials/decoders around any country would be cheap to install, could cover all areas and flight levels, have low maintenance and would have none of the cost/maintenance problems of radar.

Back to the KQ crash. Last night's teatime (UK) BBC news had the crash site back at Niete - haven't heard anything different since. ITN talked of the 737-800 "shown here" as the camera panned along a KQ 777 - good old media, anything will do so long as we can fill the bulletin with pictures (any pictures).

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 6:26 pm

The East African Standard has released the names of the 9 crew members and 44 of the passengers at http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143968249.

BigTom

Sun May 06, 2007 6:35 pm

You can access the list off the Kenya Airways website too ...

http://www.kenya-airways.com/Nationalities%20List.htm

May God provide comfort to the grieving.

Alessandro

Sun May 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Quoting BigTom (Reply 180):
You can access the list off the Kenya Airways website too ...

http://www.kenya-airways.com/Nationalities%20List.htm

May God provide comfort to the grieving.

Link is dead for me, are you sure it´s right?

Quoting Antskip (Reply 179):
The East African Standard has released the names of the 9 crew members and 44 of the passengers at http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/ne...8249.

I can´t find any additional information but that one of the unknown passenger are Mauritian and the names of
the crew.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 181):
I can´t find any additional information but that one of the unknown passenger are Mauritian and the names of
the crew

Quote:
at least 23 different nationalities were on board, including nine Kenyans, all crew 34 cameroonians,15 Chinese, six Ivory Coast nationals, 6 from Niger, five Britons, 3 Nigerians, 2 from central African republic, 2 from DRC, 1 swiss, 1 Malian, 1 Togolese,1 Swede, and a Ghanaian.

http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=42414.

philb

Sun May 06, 2007 7:01 pm

When I try ro access I'm told my ISP address has been barred. Interesting as I've never tried to access the site previously and my ISP is a relatively new Irish provider having been in business less than a couple of years.

Is this just a generic blocking message due to overload on the site?

mauriceb

Sun May 06, 2007 7:03 pm

You can also see the list of names in the KLM system, but won't do that...

Alessandro

Sun May 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Antskip, that´s already posted in this thread. But it was 15 Indian before, I think they typed Chinese wrongly.
WARNING FOR THOSE WHO DON´T WANT TO KNOW THE NAMES OF THE MISSING PERSONS COMPLETE
LIST BELOW.

[Edited 2007-05-06 12:27:19]

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 185):
Antskip, that´s already posted in this thread.

Sorry, Alessandro, I mis-interpreted your post to mean wishing for a list....

The EastAfrican Standard has now posted the complete list of names of passngers as well as crew http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143968249.
(you may need a subscription. there is no way I am going to copy the names for posting here).

BigTom

Sun May 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting Philb (Reply 183):
When I try ro access I'm told my ISP address has been barred. Interesting as I've never tried to access the site previously and my ISP is a relatively new Irish provider having been in business less than a couple of years.

Is this just a generic blocking message due to overload on the site?

Happened to me too initially. Try cutting and pasting in your browser window.

It was working both the times that I tried. Maybe it's too busy at the moment. I'll try and paste the names.

Cheers

Alessandro

Sun May 06, 2007 7:29 pm

The eaststandard link works now thanks, BigTom always warn before you post names of dead/injured/missing people,
thanks for you effort.
Latest news is that Cameroon state radio seem to have reported that the wreckage is found, no news on those onboard.

[Edited 2007-05-06 12:56:56]

OA260

Sun May 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Quoting IcLCY (Reply 156):
Damn those tornado's & shame on that child for being abducted

Hmmm 114 people die in a plane crash and its the 4th or 5th item on the news!!! Go figure  Yeah sure

Is there any news on if they have managed to reach the crash site yet???

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 189):
Is there any news on if they have managed to reach the crash site yet???

Kenya News has reported that Cameroon State Radio has announced that the plane has been found.

Quote:
The Kenya Airways plane reported missing in Cameroon on Saturday has been found. Reuters news agency says Cameroon state radio interrupted its programming to report the find, but made no mention of casualties or the state of the aircraft.

http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143968250

[Edited 2007-05-06 13:25:08]

[Edited 2007-05-06 13:26:50]

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Reuters reports Cameroon State Radio, in the same announcement, that ...

Quote:
The plane was found near the village of Awanda, near the town of Mvengue, southwest of the capital Yaounde

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L06687208.htm.

antskip

Sun May 06, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Antskip (Reply 191):
Reuters reports Cameroon State Radio, in the same announcement, that ...

Now Kenya news has reported that Cameroon State Radio has cast some doubt upon its earlier report:

Quote:
Reports from Lolodorf, Cameroon, indicate that only signs of the Kenya Airways plane have been found. An aviation official, Mr Thomas Sobakam, said the state radio report that the crash site had been located was premature. According to the Associated Press, Sobakam did not describe the signs, but said they were not pieces of wreckage. He declined to comment further, stressing the search for the plane's wreckage was still on. Sobakam is the chief of meteorology for the Douala airport, from where the flight took off. Cameroon state radio had reportedly interrupted its programming to report the find, but made no mention of casualties or the state of the aircraft. The state radio now says that it did not have sufficient evidence to confirm its earlier report. "Earlier we broadcast a report that the plane had been found at Awanda, but for the time being we do not have sufficient evidence to confirm, to be completely sure, that the plane has been found," the radio station was quoted as saying.

http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php?articleid=1143968250.

EMA747

Sun May 06, 2007 10:55 pm

The Financial Times is saying the French military helicopters based in Gabon are now taking part in the search.

More worrying is this:

Quote:
Kenya Airways Group Managing Director Titus Naikuni told a news conference in Nairobi that helicopters were sweeping the remote area, but a signal from the Boeing 737-800's emergency beacon had been lost.

"Why the signal is not being heard right now, we're not quite sure," he told a news conference in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.

I don't want to speculate at all on this as I don' t know much about these emergency beacons but is it possilbe that there could have been a faul with it that is slowing up the finding of the plane?

Source: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/8b4f309a-fbcc-11db-93a4-000b5df10621.html
Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Giving up and refusing to try again does!

flybyguy

Sun May 06, 2007 11:58 pm

It's such a shame that Kenya Airways had this accident in the first place. They had a nearly spotless record for safety and service that would have given the entire continent a sense of pride. Hopefully, recovery efforts are swift and respectful so that families can have some closure with the highest sense of dignity.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

omoo

Mon May 07, 2007 12:34 am

A lot of the folks abord this flight are traders going to DXB or China. Recalling the last time i flew from West Africa heading East, there were a lot of Traders who buy stuff in DXB and China or Hong Kong to sell in West Africa.
Fly Air Popobawa

Mon May 07, 2007 1:02 am

This is so hard to believe.

I don't want to be materialist, of course all those persons that died cause a lot of feelings, but it's quite incredible that a brand-new jet crashed in such a misterious way.

In the last 6 months, two brand-new 738s have had accidents where all passengers have been deceased. This is hard to digest.

Let's wait for the results and see what is it that actually happened.

May all those pax rest in peace.
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

richm

Mon May 07, 2007 1:05 am

Boeing's website *implies* that they have found the aircraft. However, they may have meant that they will assist once they have found the wreckage, despite the fact that they did not imply that.

"Boeing Statement on the May 5 crash of Kenya Airways Flight 507

SEATTLE, May 05, 2007 -- Boeing extends its profound concern for those on board Kenya Airways Flight 507, which crashed near Douala, Cameroon May 5. At the invitation of Cameroonian authorities, a US team that includes the National Transportation Safety Board, Federal Aviation Administration, and Boeing personnel is traveling to the site to assist in the investigation."

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2007/q2/070505a_nr.html

philb

Mon May 07, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 196):
I don't want to be materialist, of course all those persons that died cause a lot of feelings, but it's quite incredible that a brand-new jet crashed in such a misterious way.

What is mysterious about it? As the aircraft hasn't yet been found there is no mystery - just the knowledge that it is down. Once found the causual evidence will appear.

As to the beacon failing, given the met conditions, if the beacon was damaged it may well have been swamped by rain - alternatively, if it is in deep forest, with the weather affecting transmission, the signal could be lost as the power available reduceced beyon a given level. Whilst such equipment is always manufactured to survive and operate, it wouldn't be the first time that either the accident or post accident conditions have stopped a piece of emergency equipment functioning.

CraigW

Mon May 07, 2007 1:26 am

South African cellular phone company MTN announced the loss of 4 staff members plus the husband of one of the staff. They will assist the oraganisers of the rescue operation by providing communication equipment and transport facilities, and through one of their partners, an air ambulance.

Details of bulletin at: www.news24.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos