Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

OA260

RE: Aer Lingus Want To Open More New US Routes In 2008

Wed May 09, 2007 6:11 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 49):
They absolutely do advertise in the US, generally in the catchment area's of the airports they fly daily flights (BOS, JFK. ORD)

Yeah I have seen them in various US Newspapers, just like the Ads in the Irish papers but in USD

COEI2007

Wed May 09, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 48):
would love to see 777s but in a fleet of A330s adding a large 777 just to start a new route might be a mistake, it would raise operating costs, complicate training and DUB doesn't see many 777s which could cause problems.
Maybe if EI could do a deal with EK so passengers could book on aerlingus.com to BKK via DXB. After all EI/EK relations must be quite good with DM working at EK for years. It would be a little test to see how much of a demand there really is and it may boost the DXB route.

777 could be used on US routes aswell!

shamrock350

Wed May 09, 2007 6:24 am

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 51):
777 could be used on US routes aswell!

Sure they could but unless EI order 787s I cant see why EI would want 777s, they would raise costs that are currently one of the lowest across the Atlantic and may not always be full especially recently with falling passenger numbers. EI need to fill the A330s this summer before they look at 777s.

If they get a deal with EK not only would it combat EY but also provide a good link to the far east which would be fine until they get 787/A350 or if they do decide to get A340/777s. It would also bring passenger number up on DXB and they need it now that EY are heading for DUB.

af773atmsp

Wed May 09, 2007 6:26 am

MSP-DUB
Reasons: Like some one else said, Saint Paul has a big Irish population.
Now there is an incentives for international carriers that serve MSP, which gives MSP a little hope that EI will consider serving MSP.  pray  Is EI still doing the reg. for an example EI-LAX? If they are then I would also like to see an EI A330 with the reg. EI-MSP.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

MAH4546

Wed May 09, 2007 6:30 am

Quoting Af773atmsp (Reply 53):
Saint Paul has a big Irish population.

That is not a reason to serve MSP. Just about every US city has a "big" Irish population, most of which have never been to Ireland.

Now there is an incentives for international carriers that serve MSP, which gives MSP a little hope that EI will consider serving MSP

Dozens of airports offer incentives for international carriers. Miami, Raleigh, Ft. Laduerdale, Dallas. MSP isn't in a special group because of it.
a.

jacobin777

Wed May 09, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 46):
Yes but from what the likely market is. EI don't need to have a connecting service to every little regional airport in the US. They have a lot of connecting possibilities with AA, and possibly American Eagle(?), which really covers everything that they need in the North. They also have to ability to work with many other airlines, like UA, B6, and so forth. So the US is failry well covered, and EI is working on the destinations that want/need a direct service, and hands the very few pax who need to, to connect to somewhere else in the North. MIA then provides EI with many connecting possibilities in the South, and the Carribean. Thus EI will have the Americas sussed out in my mind, perfectly. They don't have a market for direct flights to South America, or the Carribean. They have access directly to the airports that need them, and any possibly ones that may warrent access in the future, like LAS, DEN, or maybe SEA. Things are quite good in my opinion.

...I think you are contradicting yourself there mate.....I'm stating there is a reason as to why EI needs (or wants) to fly to these cities.....there is demand for it....if there wasn't a large demand, then EI would need to fly only to JFK, ORD, and LAX and hand those pax off to AA (or some other carrier)...but since it seems more and more that there is demand from Ireland to other cities and EI will fulfill those demands....

Like nervous flyers, or those with deep vein thrombosis.

....what does the size of a plane have to do with "deep vein thrombosis"?  confused ....like I said, most pax couldn't distinguish an A380 from a B737....certainly not a B777 from a B737....

EI have comfortable enough seats, with flexible headrests, and excellent legroom (I'm 5'11" and was able to fully stretch out, even with the seat in front fully reclined).

....that's why I stated....

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 44):
as long as comfort

.....which of course would include but not limited to legroom, comfortable seats, ect... Wink

cheers...
"Up the Irons!"

shamrock350

Wed May 09, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 55):
....what does the size of a plane have to do with "deep vein thrombosis"?

Probably space for walking and moving around. Much more space to walk on an A330 than a 757.

kaitak

Wed May 09, 2007 11:49 am

Ultimately I think that whether EI gets 777s or not will be determined by performance rather than comfort - and how much EI wants to extend its long haul reach. There's really not a huge difference in capacity between the 772 and the A333, depending on how its configured. Look and TG and CX - probably 10% in the difference.

However, the big problem is whether EI wants to fly directly to Asia. If it doesn't, yet, then the 777 is less important. YYZ could easily be served by a 332 or 333, so that's not going to be a game changer. The basic question for EI is, how do we shift 250-300 pax and a decent payload from DUB to BKK, and back again. Unfortunately, the 332 is not the aircraft for this, even a high gross weight 332. The problem for the 332 would be on the return leg.

So, into that particular slot comes the 777-200ER. I'm sure that this point has been made clear to EI by Boeing. I'm sure EI would prefer the A340-300, as it would be easier to integrate into the current EI fleet - same pilot corps, interchangeability with A330 on US routes, but of course, runway considerations rule it out.

777s, to my knowledge, aren't available until 2009, so if EI really wanted to start to Asia, they could start with a 330 via somewhere in the ME. So, in conclusion, whether the 777 figures at all depends on EI's route plans. I really don't think it wants to wait until 2012 to be able to operate nonstop to Asia. Frankly, I would be very surprised also if EI were not getting "encouragement" from the govt to fly directly to Asia, either, since the govt has also produced an Asia strategy report, highlighting the importance of trade with Asia - and that begs the question too: why aren't they leaning on the DAA, because in all of this, THAT'S where the big obstacle lies.

steeler83

Wed May 09, 2007 12:34 pm

I could definitely see PHL working. It would be nice to see other European airlines enter PHL...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

jacobin777

Wed May 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 56):

Probably space for walking and moving around. Much more space to walk on an A330 than a 757.

....how much "walking around" does one do on a 8-10 hour flight? I fly long haul quite a bit every few months....usually 1-2 back-to-back 8-10 hour flights.....I don't see too many people "walking around"....only when one needs to go to the restroom does one get up....
"Up the Irons!"

SJCRRPAX

Wed May 09, 2007 1:52 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 54):
That is not a reason to serve MSP. Just about every US city has a "big" Irish population, most of which have never been to Ireland.

Ireland has a population of only about 4 million, but come Saint Patrick's Day 300 Million Americans are Irish. I wonder if EI bought into the mayor of San Francisco's story about the bay area being 10% Irish --- or around 600,000. I run into all kinds of people from China, India, Mexico, and Vietnam around here, but I never hear anyone speak with an Irish accent. Strange they are starting service to SFO when Winter starts. Irish people I don't think want to visit San Francisco in Winter, and people around here don't want to go to Ireland for winter!! I think they should have started service in time for summer. Of course I'm biased, I think EI should have presented themselves as the gateway to Europe for the San Jose people and teamed up with FR. Well good luck to them, but for some carriers such as Icelandair SFO works better as a summer destination.

ThrottleHold

Wed May 09, 2007 8:14 pm

Is EI still doing the reg. for an example EI-LAX? If they are then I would also like to see an EI A330 with the reg. EI-MSP.

No, the reg thing has been discontinued. It caused problems in ops.....EI-LAX is in ORD, JFK is in DUB, ORD is in JFK, EWR is in LAX etc etc.

Rumours have suggested Montreal may be favoured over Toronto as a Canadian destination.

EI321
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 30):
Aer Lingus should not on;y look to America but to South Africa and Asia. Dublin to Tokyo, Hong Kong, and J'Berg should be part of teh grand plan with planes to do it, sorry A330 Asia is too far. New 787 and/or 777 anyone ?

Thats where it gets complicated. The A330 is limited in range, so the likes lo Toyko are out, and Dublin is limited by its short runway (8650ft) so even though the 777 has the legs, Dublins runway is not long anough to take advantage of the 777s range. The 787 would be a goplane, but its almost certain taht more A330s will be needed in the meantime.

Quoting ThrottleHold (Reply 61):
Rumours have suggested Montreal may be favoured over Toronto as a Canadian destination.

Interesting, but why? (As we know they did fly there in the 70s)

Quoting N272WA (Reply 43):
mate at EI informed me earlier that YYZ, CPT and BKK are circulating in the rumour mill inhouse at EI at present and there has been no mention of any further additional US routes..

I think I would prefere this over more US routes for the moment.

EI321
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Looks like the newest EI A330-200 is ready to roll over in Toulouse.

Big version: Width: 648 Height: 461 File size: 59kb

tsnamm

Wed May 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 29):
Yes, but one routes via SNN. From Sept, theres two direct EWR.

CO126 is non stop EWR/DUB...it then goes DUB/SNN/EWR on the return...rather than having to stop in SNN 1st and proceeding to DUB...

EI321
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2007 10:45 pm

Its also worth keeping in mind that the inevitable scaling back (or complete cessation) of the DUN-SNN flights next year will have a comparable effect to having an extra aircraft in the fleet.

Poitin

Wed May 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 42):
Personally, I've been to Tampa a few times (or specifically, the islands off the coast, around 30-40 miles south) ... a beautiful part of the world. Many of these places are served via hubs like ATL, PHL, EWR (my entry point) etc. I do agree that MCO has to be the winner between the two, however.

You understand the attraction Tampa has for all the Irish who would otherwise be spending the winter in places like Donegal. I have a friend up there who spends a couple months every winter going to Florida to install security systems in houses owned by his business customers in Donegal. He is, as you might guess, in the security system business. There are a surprising number of "wild geese" who flock to Florida every winter and spend it in the Tampa and St Augustine areas. And given that the Euro is at $1.35, houses are cheap.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

scorp

Thu May 10, 2007 3:05 am

The only one I could see short term is PHL. I think EI has the potential with its fares to certainly take a lot of traffic from US. I can't see US leaving altogether, but if EI does end up doing PHL, a reduction in service from US would certainly be on the cards.

smokeyrosco

Thu May 10, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 65):
scaling back (or complete cessation) of the DUN-SNN

Nice route for a 320 2 or 3 times a day if the stop over stopped my thinks.
John Hancock

COEI2007

Thu May 10, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 57):
777s, to my knowledge, aren't available until 2009, so if EI really wanted to start to Asia, they could start with a 330 via somewhere in the ME. So, in conclusion, whether the 777 figures at all depends on EI's route plans. I really don't think it wants to wait until 2012 to be able to operate nonstop to Asia. Frankly, I would be very surprised also if EI were not getting "encouragement" from the govt to fly directly to Asia, either, since the govt has also produced an Asia strategy report, highlighting the importance of trade with Asia - and that begs the question too: why aren't they leaning on the DAA, because in all of this, THAT'S where the big obstacle lies.

If EI wanted 777's, i'm sure they could find some somewhere!!!!

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 64):
CO126 is non stop EWR/DUB...it then goes DUB/SNN/EWR on the return...rather than having to stop in SNN 1st and proceeding to DUB...

I know! I work for CO in DUB!

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 68):

More like a nice ATR route, say early morning, and evening flight.......Aer Arann???? Ryanair?????

EISHN

Thu May 10, 2007 4:15 am

...I think you are contradicting yourself there mate.....I'm stating there is a reason as to why EI needs (or wants) to fly to these cities.....there is demand for it....if there wasn't a large demand, then EI would need to fly only to JFK, ORD, and LAX and hand those pax off to AA (or some other carrier)...but since it seems more and more that there is demand from Ireland to other cities and EI will fulfill those demands....

There are a few select destinations that do need a direct service, in addition to the cities that are already served. There won't be enough pax that will be flying to Seattle, or St. Louis, or Alalbama, and... well you get the idea. You will get a few thousand connecting pax a year, clearly not enoguh to warrant a direct flight.

....what does the size of a plane have to do with "deep vein thrombosis"? ....like I said, most pax couldn't distinguish an A380 from a B737....certainly not a B777 from a B737....

Space to walk around on the flight, which you won't have that much of on a 757, compared to an A380. Members of my family have the condition, so it is important to be able to move around during your flight.
BTW there is absolutley no way you can compare flying on a 737 to a A380. 2 inches difference in seat width, more leg room, head room, personal space, overhead space, and a quieter all around experience.
If you are fine flying on a 737 for 7 hrs plus, that fine. Not me though. I need to the extra space to move around.
No hard feelings though  Smile

jacobin777

RE: Aer Lingus Want To Open More New US Routes In

Thu May 10, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 70):
There are a few select destinations that do need a direct service, in addition to the cities that are already served. There won't be enough pax that will be flying to Seattle, or St. Louis, or Alalbama, and... well you get the idea. You will get a few thousand connecting pax a year, clearly not enoguh to warrant a direct flight.

I certainly agree with you there, and that is why they aren't flying (or intending to fly) to those aforementioned cities/airports but to possible cities/airports such as MIA, SFO, etc.... Smile

Quoting EISHN (Reply 70):

Space to walk around on the flight, which you won't have that much of on a 757, compared to an A380. Members of my family have the condition, so it is important to be able to move around during your flight.
BTW there is absolutley no way you can compare flying on a 737 to a A380. 2 inches difference in seat width, more leg room, head room, personal space, overhead space, and a quieter all around experience.
If you are fine flying on a 737 for 7 hrs plus, that fine. Not me though. I need to the extra space to move around.
No hard feelings though  Smile

If you fly from PHL-SFO on a UA A321 and I fly PHL-LHR on a BA B777, you will arrive SFO only 45-minutes to an hour before I get to LHR....not to big of a difference, now is there mate... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

EISHN

Thu May 10, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 71):
If you fly from PHL-SFO on a UA A321 and I fly PHL-LHR on a BA B777, you will arrive SFO only 45-minutes to an hour before I get to LHR....not to big of a difference, now is there mate...

laughing   laughing 
You got me there. Still, theres just something about flying from one continent to another, and wanting a bigger plane. I haven't flown on a domestic US flight in 15 years (JFK-SEA/SEA-JFK), and was only two at the time, but on such a long flight I would still want a wide body. I haven't flown on such a long narrow body flight in memory, so I can't really say, but am just saying that I would want a bigger plane.
Would you not prefer to fly on an A330 from SNN to ORD, as opposed to a 757? Don't forget, that a wide body on an intercontinental flight, will be more suitably fitted out for long haul flights, than a 757, usually used on a domestic route.

vega

Thu May 10, 2007 5:32 am

Quoting Scorp (Reply 67):
The only one I could see short term is PHL. I think EI has the potential with its fares to certainly take a lot of traffic from US. I can't see US leaving altogether, but if EI does end up doing PHL, a reduction in service from US would certainly be on the cards.

Well a big difference would be that US has it's entire Domestic feed into the Ireland flights, whereby EI would need to depend largely on O&D. Although (logistically) AA is right next to the main international terminal, I don't see them code sharing through a non-hub/relatively low AA traffic airport - although AA does serve the Caribbean non-stop from PHL. Since EI is now non-alliance, it might be interesting if they could work a relationship with US for feed. During peak travel time (e.g., July), historically about 12000 total passengers/month have arrived and departed PHL from/to DUB on US - this includes connecting passengers. The big unknown is how many Philadelphia MSA passengers typically drive to EWR or JFK specifically to fly EI, who would likely now take an EI PHL flight AND how many previous US local passengers would switch to EI for the larger aircraft and better service. I do believe, however, that US's recently refurbished international 757s and advertised improved service could give EI a run for their money.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

OA260

Thu May 10, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 72):
You got me there. Still, theres just something about flying from one continent to another, and wanting a bigger plane

Im with you EISHN and 45 mins is 45 mins LOL....I feel too confined space wise for such a long flight. It has to be widebody for me for long haul.

LAXdude1023

Thu May 10, 2007 6:48 am

Reasons: Like some one else said, Saint Paul has a big Irish population.
Now there is an incentives for international carriers that serve MSP, which gives MSP a little hope that EI will consider serving MSP. Is EI still doing the reg. for an example EI-LAX? If they are then I would also like to see an EI A330 with the reg. EI-MSP.

I have always said that MSP needs more international service, but it needs to come from a Skyteam member like AF. I dont think that EI would be a good fit at MSP. I dont think they could fill a plane off O&D alone.

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 33):
I'm not sure about DFW,

DFW has the potential to do one of two things: Be an enourmous success or be a catasrophic failure. In my opinion this will depend on codesharing and thereby allowing EI passengers access to AA's connecting opprotunities. If they can tap into DFW connection bank, I think EI can do very well. If they are going on O&D alone, DFW has very little to offer. Therefore, I think the flight would be a failure. It all depends.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

EI321
Topic Author

Thu May 10, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 68):
Quoting EI321 (Reply 65):
scaling back (or complete cessation) of the DUN-SNN

I dont see much point in that to be honest. If they dont fly A320s from ORK to DUB they probably wont do them from SNN to DUB. There would be little case to provide a service to connect SNN long haul passengers into DUBs short haul network, as all of the SNN long haul routes will be operated from DUB anyway. Its likely that only JFK and maybe BOS will remain as long haul destinations from SNN and I think the most sensible strategy for EI would be to pull all SNN destinations, and base an A330 in ORK as soon as (if ever) Corks A330 turning circle issue is sorted out.

jacobin777

Fri May 11, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting EISHN (Reply 72):
You got me there. Still, theres just something about flying from one continent to another, and wanting a bigger plane. I haven't flown on a domestic US flight in 15 years (JFK-SEA/SEA-JFK), and was only two at the time, but on such a long flight I would still want a wide body. I haven't flown on such a long narrow body flight in memory, so I can't really say, but am just saying that I would want a bigger plane.
Would you not prefer to fly on an A330 from SNN to ORD, as opposed to a 757? Don't forget, that a wide body on an intercontinental flight, will be more suitably fitted out for long haul flights, than a 757, usually used on a domestic route.

1)

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 71):
not to big of a difference

...of course, it should be "too"... Wink

2)
getting back to what I was stating....U.A's. "P.S. Plus" service from JFK to SFO/LAX on their B757 is much better than most other economy class service....it's even better than AA's B767 services (and I fly only AA domestically and over the ponds)...

As long as prices comparable, services and most important, seat pitch are comparable, I really don't care if its a single-isle plane or twin -isle plane...

Many of the B757's which carriers are flying over the pond (i.e. such as CO) are configuring their B757's to fly transatlantic, thus have the proper seating, amenities, etc.
"Up the Irons!"

smokeyrosco

Fri May 11, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting EI321 (Reply 76):
Its likely that only JFK and maybe BOS will remain as long haul destinations from SNN

Exactly, BOS will probably remain primarily out of SNN most likely with JFK being mixed between SNN and DUB, for these reasons alone I can see a service between DUB and SNN, maybe it will stay a 330 or two but I think EI will want to eliminate that as much as possible, possibly RE will look to having an agreement with EI for this.
John Hancock

iadguy73

Fri May 11, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 58):
could definitely see PHL working. It would be nice to see other European airlines enter PHL...

checkmark 

I think US sees the writing on the wall and just trying to protect its turf. It is true tho that US has the only direct route but I personally rather fly BA even if it's thru LHR.

B752OS

Fri May 11, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting Smokeyrosco (Reply 78):
Exactly, BOS will probably remain primarily out of SNN most likely with JFK being mixed between SNN and DUB, for these reasons alone I can see a service between DUB and SNN, maybe it will stay a 330 or two but I think EI will want to eliminate that as much as possible, possibly RE will look to having an agreement with EI for this.

I believe BOS will have 2 daily EI flights, 1 x SNN and 1 x DUB.

kaitak

Fri May 11, 2007 2:51 am

Unfortunately, BOS has a single one stop (from DUB) this Winter, which is a bit disappointing. I know there's a good sized Irish community in Boston, but it's also a good business centre, so one would think there would be demand for a nonstop from DUB.

As for US Airways, they only have seven A330s and not many more 767s (which, from some accounts, aren't in great condition), so they just have to use what they can. Even though EI could take them on "point to point", they have a pretty sizeable hub at PHL, so they could sustain a year round service, even with 757s. Don't forget also, that many of their pax in the PHL area would be members of the airline's FFP, so that will also influence their choices.

I think the one thing that irritates me, more about DUB than EI, is the connection situation; DM said in his early days at EI that this was a priority, yet DUB still hasn't got (?) an airside connection facility. I know that's mostly the DAA's fault, but it really should have been prioritised. EI also needs to make it work by ensuring that as many connections as possible can be facilitated through DUB, in both directions.

B752OS

Fri May 11, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 81):
Unfortunately, BOS has a single one stop (from DUB) this Winter, which is a bit disappointing. I know there's a good sized Irish community in Boston, but it's also a good business centre, so one would think there would be demand for a nonstop from DUB.

Boston and the Metro area has the largest Irish population I believe outside of Europe. That's too bad EI will only do 1 x daily flight out of BOS this winter. I think there is enough demand on BOS-Ireland to support another daily flight.

MAH4546

Fri May 11, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting B752OS (Reply 82):
Boston and the Metro area has the largest Irish population I believe outside of Europe. That's too bad EI will only do 1 x daily flight out of BOS this winter. I think there is enough demand on BOS-Ireland to support another daily flight.

Boston does have a huge Irish community, but the yield is not that great on Boston-Ireland during the winter, and the market is heavily seasonal, leaning towards the summer.

[Edited 2007-05-10 22:22:29]
a.

steeler83

Fri May 11, 2007 6:46 am

I am just curious to see what the biggest US cities are as far as Irish population is concerned... Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia are definitely up there...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

LAXdude1023

Fri May 11, 2007 7:20 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 84):
I am just curious to see what the biggest US cities are as far as Irish population is concerned... Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia are definitely up there...

NYC has to be up there as well. I believe that Boston might have the largest per capita Irish population. I know we have a few here in Los Angeles as well, but nothing like the east coast and Chicago.

EISHN

Fri May 11, 2007 7:23 am

Apparently theres some old mining town in Colorado, that has the largest population of Irish, and Irish descent in the country. This is because (allegedly) thousands of Irishmen moved there for work at times of recession in Ireland. Interesting I thought.

vega

Fri May 11, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 84):

Here's the States:
1. California- 2,611,449
2. New York- 2,451,042
3. Pennsylvania- 1,981,106
4. Florida- 1,645,585
5. Illinois- 1,511,569

and some cities (by Airport Designator):

LAX 436K
NYC 421K
PHL 206K
ORD 192K
DFW 140K
BWI 110K
BOS 93K
PVD 92K
SFO 68K
JAX 66K
PDX 64K
SJC 54K
PIT 53K
MIA 51K
CLT 43K
DTW 14K

I may have missed a few big ones (cities) because of time constraints. Since a lot of the Irish-American population is widely distributed around certain States, rather than in a single city, it's probably more meaningful to evaluate air service potential by State in many, but surely not all cases.

[Edited 2007-05-11 01:07:02]
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

smokeyrosco

Fri May 11, 2007 8:24 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 85):
NYC has to be up there as well.

Absolutely, Hells Kitchen was in NYC. Anyone know where the first and second St Patrick's Day Parade was? and where was the first place the Irish had a "mafia"?
John Hancock

EI564

Fri May 11, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 81):
Unfortunately, BOS has a single one stop (from DUB) this Winter, which is a bit disappointing.

EI seems to have updated their schedule recently to show that it will operate 11 services a week to Boston from Dublin, 7 via Shannon but 4 direct.

kaitak

Fri May 11, 2007 1:17 pm

Quoting EI564 (Reply 89):
EI seems to have updated their schedule recently to show that it will operate 11 services a week to Boston from Dublin, 7 via Shannon but 4 direct.

Thanks EI564 - and welcome to A.net; it's great to see another Irish flag! Don't forget to visit the Irish aviation threads!

Quoting Vega (Reply 87):
Here's the States:
1. California- 2,611,449
2. New York- 2,451,042
3. Pennsylvania- 1,981,106
4. Florida- 1,645,585
5. Illinois- 1,511,569

LAX 436K

Interesting figures and thanks for sharing them, Vega. It certainly surprises me that there is such a high Irish population in California and that it's considerably higher than Mass., which isn't even in the top five. Not what I'd have expected - and particularly the fact that LA has so many more of Irish descent that Boston! With such high numbers, I'm surprised EI can't manage a daily flight to LAX.

steeler83

Fri May 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 85):
NYC has to be up there as well. I believe that Boston might have the largest per capita Irish population. I know we have a few here in Los Angeles as well, but nothing like the east coast and Chicago.

Quoting Vega (Reply 87):

LAX 436K
NYC 421K
PHL 206K
ORD 192K

And you were saying, LAXdude???

Still, I can't believe that PIT made the list above MIA. Wasn't MIA one of the cities EI announced? Although, I am sure that PIT is like 33rd instead of 13th...

kaitak

Fri May 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 91):

Still, I can't believe that PIT made the list above MIA. Wasn't MIA one of the cities EI announced? Although, I am sure that PIT is like 33rd instead of 13th...

No, MCO has been announced, but Miami is still a strong possibility, either by EI itself or in c/s with AA. They'll want to have some r'ship with AA to make it work.

I am not at all surprised that PIT is right up there, because I know there is quite a strong Irish population (my parents lived there for a short time in the '60s!).

LAXdude1023

Fri May 11, 2007 2:33 pm

Thats crazy stuff, Ive lived here most of my life and I had no idea that the Irish population here was so large. I guess you learn somthing new every day.

n272wa

Fri May 11, 2007 5:44 pm

With such high numbers, I'm surprised EI can't manage a daily flight to LAX.

I thought EI were going daily to LAX this summer.

OA260

Fri May 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Quoting N272WA (Reply 94):
I thought EI were going daily to LAX this summer.

Morning N272WA , they are

1234567 DUB LAX 1115 1420 EI 145 332
1234567 LAX DUB 1630# 1030 EI 144 332

n272wa

Fri May 11, 2007 5:54 pm

Thanks OA260 for that!  Smile

EI321
Topic Author

Fri May 11, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 93):

Thats crazy stuff, Ive lived here most of my life and I had no idea that the Irish population here was so large. I guess you learn somthing new every day.

I think this whole US Irish population is blown out of preportion. When I lived in the states (NY & SC) I routinly met people claiming to be irish, they just did not know to what extent or from what part. Thats fine, but I just dont think we should be including people like this as likely to hop straight on an EI flight to Dublin should EI start serving their local airport  Wink Most have never been to Ireland.

B752OS

Fri May 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 90):
Interesting figures and thanks for sharing them, Vega. It certainly surprises me that there is such a high Irish population in California and that it's considerably higher than Mass., which isn't even in the top five. Not what I'd have expected - and particularly the fact that LA has so many more of Irish descent that Boston! With such high numbers, I'm surprised EI can't manage a daily flight to LAX.

I have a problem believeing that the LA area has more Irish people than Boston. Every St. Patty's day, I always meet tons of people from Southern California who fly to Boston for the celebrations because in SoCal, St. Patty's day is not a big deal. I am not saying LA doesn't have a large population, granted the amount of Irish pubs are impossible to find other than Sonny McCleans (which was opened by people from Mass).1

OA260

Fri May 11, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 98):
I always meet tons of people from Southern California who fly to Boston for the celebrations because in SoCal, St. Patty's day is not a big deal. I am not saying LA doesn't have a large population

Yeah I can confirm that when I was living in LA I was there for Paddys Day and there wasnt a Shamrock in sight and only a few badly done Irish bars with no craic in them. Boston is just huge on Paddys Day and also I was suprised that in Providence Rhode Island it was quite busy also.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos