Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

antixx
Topic Author

Bmi Long Haul Reconfig

Sun May 13, 2007 1:18 am

Hi All,

With Midland's "bmi time" campaign - its new focus on business passengers/frequent flyers - a lot was initially made of 'sleep time,' referring to bmi reconfiguring its 332s to have lie-flats in the business, with the old business seats going into premium economy...

The initial press releases were saying the reconfig would happen by June, but since then 'late summer' is being mentioned. Does anyone have any inside info as to when the reconfig is actually happening? Have booked to go business at the end of August and was looking forward to having a lie-flat, instead of the seat this time round...

Cheers in advance!

runway23

RE: Bmi Long Haul Reconfig

Sun May 13, 2007 3:49 am

October apparently from what I have read on other websites.

OA260

Sun May 13, 2007 4:38 am

The latest press release said from September when the lie flat beds will be gradually installed and the old C class seats will be put into Premium Economy.

StarGoldLHR

Sun May 13, 2007 5:40 am

I just tried to use my bmi miles for my bmi time...

and found out the taxes on the Frequent Flyer ticket are double the asking price for the regular priced ticket on the same flights / same day as the route...

how is that right ?

MAN-WAW taxes £54 on a paid ticket
MAN-WAW taxes £110 on a FF ticket

same dates same flight. !!

not good.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

OA260

Sun May 13, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 3):
how is that right ?

MAN-WAW taxes £54 on a paid ticket
MAN-WAW taxes £110 on a FF ticket

same dates same flight. !!

not good.

Did the UK put a tax on FF redemptions??? Thats a Labour government for you  sarcastic 

StarGoldLHR

Sun May 13, 2007 6:16 am

I'm actually going to ask a political friend who is a lawyer in this area the same exact question...

as far as I know UK has no FF tax nor has the destination country.
therefore BMI could be mis-representing a "free" ticket by adding "hidden extras" as tax on a free ticket.

as evidence look at other airlines and their taxes on their "fare paying" rates and comparing it to the taxes on the FF tickets but ive found it not the case.

Ive asked for a breakdown of the taxes but was told it was not possible.
If they came clean and said there was a FF booking fee that would be completly different, but they dont, which could be a case of mis-representation, and at least a contravention of trades description act, for anyone who collects bmi ff miles.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

OA260

Sun May 13, 2007 7:29 am

The only thing is if you are flying C class even on a FF redemption then there is a UK government tax which is disgusting!!!

crownvic

Sun May 13, 2007 3:31 pm

I was "blessed" with this on a paid ticket...Last week, I was returning back to the US on BMI on a ticket I had purchased 6 months earlier and they told me I had to pay 40.00 Pounds for some new tax. I thought that since I purchased the ticket before the ruling, that I should not be affected. BMI said now way and I had to pay it or I would be denied boarding, so I paid it...I really thought it was unfair, but was left no choice...

mutu

Sun May 13, 2007 8:43 pm

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 7):
I was "blessed" with this on a paid ticket...Last week, I was returning back to the US on BMI on a ticket I had purchased 6 months earlier and they told me I had to pay 40.00 Pounds for some new tax. I thought that since I purchased the ticket before the ruling, that I should not be affected. BMI said now way and I had to pay it or I would be denied boarding, so I paid it...I really thought it was unfair, but was left no choice...

Yes sadly the UK governments last increase in passenger duty was made retrospectively in effect, applying to all flights TAKEN from the applicable date rather than all tickets BOUGHT. Many airlines got in a mess about this and made pax pay up, a handful took a pragmatic approach that the confusion caused would be a PR nightmare and absorbed the cost themselves and paid over the tax to the Treasury (BA/VS did the latter. so BMI appear to be odd man out here).

airtebiong

Sun May 13, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting Mutu (Reply 8):
Yes sadly the UK governments last increase in passenger duty was made retrospectively in effect, applying to all flights TAKEN from the applicable date rather than all tickets BOUGHT. Many airlines got in a mess about this and made pax pay up, a handful took a pragmatic approach that the confusion caused would be a PR nightmare and absorbed the cost themselves and paid over the tax to the Treasury (BA/VS did the latter. so BMI appear to be odd man out here).

I thought the new tax rules apply only to tickets bought on or after December 16.. Atleast that was what ANA was told, so that was what we implemented...
i believe that beauty is skin deep, and my skin is very deep!!

FLVILLA

Mon May 14, 2007 12:02 am

Quoting Airtebiong (Reply 9):
I thought the new tax rules apply only to tickets bought on or after December 16.. At least that was what ANA was told, so that was what we implemented...

Unfortunately not, the extra tax has to be paid on all flights now even if they where booked before the 12th December '06. Also VS makes you pay the extra tax whereas BA have instead absorbed it themselves saving their passengers paying extra.
I hope in life i can work to live, not live to work

bretts1983

Mon May 14, 2007 12:25 am

All 3 A330's are due to position to HAM during a three week period in Spetember to be re-configured.

daron4000

Mon May 14, 2007 1:01 am

I think AA and UA also did what BA and VS did- obsorb the costs

UA777300ER

Mon May 14, 2007 1:07 am

Where does BD fly their A330's to? Asia?

How many do they have?

jfk777

Mon May 14, 2007 1:32 am

The new departure taxes from the UK are harmful and ridiculously expensive. I hope the next government, Tory I hope, reduces it or kills it. To pay extra departure tax for Business Class is un-Anglofied.

Aisak

Mon May 14, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting UA777300ER (Reply 13):
Where does BD fly their A330's to? Asia?

They have three 330 and they fly
1xdaily MAN-ORD
3xweek MAN-LAS
1xweek MAN-ANU
1xweek MAN-BGI

The thrid one was used on daily LHR-¿BOM? (I know it was India, but I can't remember where exactly) and they also had a second long-haul destination ex-LHR: JED flying with a 767 from TUI 3x weekly. The route to India was dropped and I think that aircraft is currently leased.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
the old C class seats will be put into Premium Economy.

Wouldn't that make them the first airline not having the same seat for Premium Economy and Economy?

Also I remember reading here, that BMI were planning to configure some 320-series (probably 319 because of the range) to do some medium-haul ex-LHR à la AF with Dedicate or NW with the new 757-200 Atlantic. Maybe this idea was dropped after purchasing BMED but I think this C seats would be nice for this config on a 319/320

[Edited 2007-05-13 19:10:24]

OA260

Mon May 14, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 15):
Wouldn't that make them the first airline not having the same seat for Premium Economy and Economy?

VS has different seats as do some of the UK charter airlines . Also I think NZ have different ones also.

StarGoldLHR

Mon May 14, 2007 6:44 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 16):
VS has different seats as do some of the UK charter airlines . Also I think NZ have different ones also.

NZ uses VS's seat layouts on it's 747's and paid VS for the rights to use it.

ZKOJH

Mon May 14, 2007 7:41 am

picked up a copy of the freebe mag at man apt and its says the new seats will be done this month.. is there now a delay in bmi again?
Air New Zealand ~ dreams of flying

trekster

Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 am

Quoting Zkojh (Reply 18):
is there now a delay in bmi again?

It is BMI, sometimes they dont know if there coming or going. Are they full service or low cost???

Will be intresting to see what they come up with
Where does the time go???

crownvic

Mon May 14, 2007 1:51 pm

MUTU...Thak you for the clarification on the tax...

Trekster...I could not agree with you more...This airline just seems to not know what it is...I did fly Biz Class on the A332 and overall, the service and food were quite good giving you an impression that they ARE a full service airline. The problem with BMI is, they are weak in other departments:

1) Horrible reservation support
2) Interiors of the A332 were "tired", but that is being addressed
3) Outdated video "loop" entertainment system which included 3 incidents of cabin crew having to reset the system on the 10 hour flight. Quite annoying because you have to start the movie all over again (no fast-forward)
4) Poor back up from an International equipment stand-point. With only 2 long range A332 a/c, if there is a hiccup in their system, you're pretty much screwed and are not going anywhere (I experienced this once before on BMI)

The problem with this airline is when things are runnin smooth, they are decent, but when things go bad, they go REALLY bad.

BMED

Tue May 15, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 3):
and found out the taxes on the Frequent Flyer ticket are double the asking price for the regular priced ticket on the same flights / same day as the route

Quoting Zkojh (Reply 18):
is there now a delay in bmi again?

I guess that when you have such a small fleet of long haul aircraft and they all need to have their seats changed then they will have trouble finding a time slot where the can take the aircraft out of service and use a replacement?
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

StarGoldLHR

Tue May 15, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting BMED (Reply 21):
I guess that when you have such a small fleet of long haul aircraft and they all need to have their seats changed then they will have trouble finding a time slot where the can take the aircraft out of service and use a replacement?

Back when they had all 3 A330 from MAN, they usually had 18 rotations a week, allowing each A330 1 day a week for MX in Manchester.
Since one went to Virgin Nigeria i'm not sure what they do now ?

When is it due back from Virgin Nigeria ?

What a bizarre state...

3x A330's - 1 on lease
1 x 767 - leased in

BD complains the 767 is a poor quality a/c yet leases it's own out.

flytuitravel

Wed May 16, 2007 12:34 am

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 22):

May as far as I know.

flyTUITravel.

bmiexpat

Wed May 16, 2007 2:26 am

It's back already.

Vasu

Wed May 16, 2007 2:49 am

3x A330's - 1 on lease
1 x 767 - leased in

BD complains the 767 is a poor quality a/c yet leases it's own out.

This makes absolutely NO sense to me! Please can someone throw in a few reasons as to why they did this?

David_itl

Wed May 16, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 25):
Please can someone throw in a few reasons as to why they did this

Presumably the revenue gained from such a venture is greater than that by leasing in an "inferior" aircraft. Remember the IAD-MAN service which was dropped for 6 mths to allow them to wetlease the aircraft to SA as that was deemed to have greater revenue potential.

bmiexpat

Wed May 16, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting Vasu (Reply 25):
This makes absolutely NO sense to me! Please can someone throw in a few reasons as to why they did this?

The B767 had already been leased and placed in operation when one of the A330s went long term tech. When it finally became serviceable (after about 2 months I think), it was decided to allow the B767 contract to continue until the end, and make a (large) amount of cash by leasing out the now servicable A330 until the B767 went back to it's owner.

nonrev

Wed May 16, 2007 8:49 am

767: special config suitable for RUH & JED routes

A330: Operated BOM, subsequently went tech, made more money leasing to Virgin Nigeria

Identity crisis?: Admittedly some changes have been undertaken, but profits over the last 2/3 years show that business model is working

Just on the A330, it does utilise an aircraft that would either be redundant or operating a route that could/would be pulled when openskies occurs (pi$$ing punters off). As it is, BD are in a position where this A330 will not have to be pulled from a route in order to operate, say, over the pond, say, in 2008...

Makes sense to me?!?!?!

lapper

Wed May 16, 2007 8:15 pm

IIRC it's a different aircraft that has been leased to VK than the one that went tech. G-WWBB was the damaged aircraft, G-WWBD is leased to VK.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos