UAL777UK
Topic Author

UA New J Seat...Whens The Preview?

Mon May 14, 2007 3:18 am

Its no secret that UA will start reconfiguring its International product at the end of the year. We have seen the new F Suite, but when are we going to get a look at the new J seat?

As someone who flies them over the pond quite regularly I for one would like to have a look at what they are planning.

Does anybody have any info or are they keeping the seat quiet until its rolled out?

UnitedTristar

RE: UA New J Seat...Whens The Preview?

Mon May 14, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Thread starter):
Does anybody have any info or are they keeping the seat quiet until its rolled out?

Yea I agree, I am very eager to see it as well...but I would think they are keeping it quiet until roll out.

I think the first time we see it will be when it's actually installed on an aircraft.

-m

airplane 

BA380

Mon May 14, 2007 3:58 am

is there any info on the new F Suite? can't find anything on UAL website...
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...

albird87

Mon May 14, 2007 4:34 am

Maybe there new J seat will look similar to the P.S. first class seat that they use on there routes from JFK to SFO and LAX.
that can be found here.
www.unitedps.com

tundra767

Mon May 14, 2007 5:54 am

The new Business Class seats will be shown at a Large Travel Show in July in SFO. Will try to get more details on when and where.

flydreamliner

Mon May 14, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 3):
Maybe there new J seat will look similar to the P.S. first class seat that they use on there routes from JFK to SFO and LAX.
that can be found here.
www.unitedps.com

That is the same seat that SQ uses for business (or did use, before they just redid it), thought it certainly could be something like that. I think you'll see something a little more modern and innovative out of UA for the new J product than that, but it's just my guess.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

aerohottie

Mon May 14, 2007 6:56 am

Would love to see UA do something like the new SQ premium seating for long haul, and continue the PS seating for domestic ops.
What?

UAL777UK
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting Tundra767 (Reply 4):
The new Business Class seats will be shown at a Large Travel Show in July in SFO. Will try to get more details on when and where.

That would be great if you could. Many thanks.

Quoting Albird87 (Reply 3):
that can be found here.

Theres been a lot of speculation that it could be this seat but I would just like to know for sure, I guess we'll have to wait until July.

aerohottie

Mon May 14, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 7):
Theres been a lot of speculation that it could be this seat but I would just like to know for sure, I guess we'll have to wait until July.

In all honesty, UA are going to have to do better than that... particularly with the reviews AA have been getting about their seat, and the new seats that DL are getting. UA surely have to strive to get what the best have, and at the moment that is SQ's new seats... and at very least get a new seat that can compete with the likes of VS, NZ and DL's new seats. Perhaps even look at the BA, EY seating for inspiration
What?

BrianDromey

Mon May 14, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 8):

In all honesty, UA are going to have to do better than that...

If UA were to install a J seat like SQ, then they would face the problem of thier J being more spacious than F!

I think the SQ skysuite is perfect for UA. It is still modern and is well liked by SQ's customers. Even to such an extent that many SQ frequent flyers actively avoid the 777-300ER, as the seat is simply too wide.

Although maybe with americans gettin ever wider.......  Wink

Brian.

Qantas744er

Mon May 14, 2007 8:09 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 9):
Although maybe with americans gettin ever wider.......  

Bein italian my dad just loves to eat  Wink

2 weeks ago i flew MUC-CDG-SIN-CDG-MUC in 3 days.

He then told me "leo i think i lost some weight!" All i answered with was "I think the seat got larger" he didnt understand since it was the first time he sat in a SQ J seat and didnt know their old one.

For sure was a good laugh...  Silly

BTW if you are wondering about it weight.. 250Lbs would be about right hehe  Silly Big grin

Leo
You live and you die, by the FMA

Coal

Mon May 14, 2007 8:33 pm

Although I don't fly UA often, I must say I hope they come up with something better than SQ's Spacebeds. I fly SQ quite often (living in Singapore, of course), and I'm not very fond of the SQ beds. Although they turn into a flat bed, they are still angled at about 10-15 degrees, and your body just keeps sliding down when you try to sleep. I find QF's and BA's flat beds much better.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: KE SIN-ICN-ATL | DL ATL-FLL | AA MIA-ATL | KE ATL-ICN-SIN

ekskycargo370

Mon May 14, 2007 10:08 pm

Surprised UA can afford such upgrades!

nonrev

Mon May 14, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting EKSkycargo370 (Reply 12):

Dear, oh dear. Another enlightening, informative and thought provoking post from EK "UA didn't turn me down for a ramp job, honestly" Skycargo370...

UAL777UK
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2007 10:42 pm

Dear, oh dear. Another enlightening, informative and thought provoking post from EK "UA didn't turn me down for a ramp job, honestly" Skycargo370...

I could not have put it better myself!!

chgoflyer

Mon May 14, 2007 10:43 pm

The union missed one topic in their demands. They forgot to tell OPEC that they need to reduce the cost of oil. Seriously this is a free country if the pilots at AA feel neglected they should go elsewhere.
Will someone please wake me up in 4 years

ManchesterMAN

Mon May 14, 2007 11:36 pm

With all the talk of BD and UA linking up across the pond I wonder if UA might install the same new C class seat as BD will install in their A330s. BD were due to unveil their new seat around this time of the year but they have now put it back until September/October. We're told it will be fully flat though with around an 80" pitch. Sounds pretty good.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Sean-SAN-

Tue May 15, 2007 12:43 am

Part of the issue is that the current J seats are perfectly fine considering the majority are sold with huge corporate discounts, upgrades, or consolidator/ Asia originating tickets.

For instance, SFO-SIN on UA or AA with the corp discount at my company are 50% cheaper than SQ etc. Similarly, you can buy BKK-LAX-BKK on UA for USD1500-1700 in J class if you know where to look. Don't expect a "skysuite" for that price.

expatmatt

Tue May 15, 2007 1:55 am

Quoting Tundra767 (Reply 4):

What travel shows are taking place in SFO this summer? I'm at a loss and can't think of any. The big one each summer is NBTA, and this year it's being held in BOS.

shane

Tue May 15, 2007 1:59 am

Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 6):
Would love to see UA do something like the new SQ premium seating for long haul, and continue the PS seating for domestic ops.

Don't hold your breath, hottie...

Just thought I'd remind everyone that we should expect significantly fewer seats in First and Business once these reconfigurations are done. And I hear that the 744s will be redone first. Goodbye upgrades!

flydreamliner

Tue May 15, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 9):
Quoting Aerohottie (Reply 8):

In all honesty, UA are going to have to do better than that...

If UA were to install a J seat like SQ, then they would face the problem of thier J being more spacious than F!

I don't know if that'd be true.... certainly not for pitch. They are already using SQ's skybed seat in for their C product on United PS service from JFK to SFO and LAX (www.unitedps.com), and it seems to be getting good sentiments so far. My thought is that they might go with something more modern (ala Air Canada, Air New Zealand) but the skybed is certainly a possibility, perhaps even a perfect lie-flat version?

UA can afford. DL in bankruptcy upgraded their seats, UA is profitable, rumored to be looking at new aircraft, they are not penniless.

Quoting Sean-SAN- (Reply 17):
Part of the issue is that the current J seats are perfectly fine considering the majority are sold with huge corporate discounts, upgrades, or consolidator/ Asia originating tickets.

For instance, SFO-SIN on UA or AA with the corp discount at my company are 50% cheaper than SQ etc. Similarly, you can buy BKK-LAX-BKK on UA for USD1500-1700 in J class if you know where to look. Don't expect a "skysuite" for that price.

My guess however, is that UA would prefer not to have to sell their J seats as the cheapest option above Y on the market. They'd like to get the premiums that airlines like SQ get for their J product - there is a lot of money there. Having an outdated product and just slashing the price just isn't a very good solution for the long term.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

ManchesterMAN

Tue May 15, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 20):
I don't know if that'd be true.... certainly not for pitch. They are already using SQ's skybed seat in for their C product on United PS service from JFK to SFO and LAX (www.unitedps.com),

But the SQ seat is actually the PS F class not C.

I actually don't think this is a bad idea. It certainly beats AAs new offering and isn't that what counts at UA?
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

BrianDromey

Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 20):
I don't know if that'd be true.... certainly not for pitch. They are already using SQ's skybed seat in for their C product on United PS service from JFK to SFO and LAX (www.unitedps.com), and it seems to be getting good sentiments so far.

The suggestion was that UA would install the NEW 1-2-1 J seat that SQ has. However I feel that the "SkySuite" is a more appropriate product for UA. It is a fantastic seat by all accounts and well loved by flyers.

Quoting Shane (Reply 19):
Just thought I'd remind everyone that we should expect significantly fewer seats in First and Business once these reconfigurations are done. And I hear that the 744s will be redone first. Goodbye upgrades!

The problems with US carriers J and F classes is that they have been cheaped to cuch an extent that tehy are not worth paying a huge premium for. Upgrades in other parts of teh world are the exception rather than the rule. I UA provides a J class worth paying for then they will have no need to upgrade elete's. You can be sure that when Eletes see their upgrades go out the window they will have their companies cough up the extra cash, or fly with someone else, I guess.

Brian.

UAL777UK
Topic Author

Tue May 15, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 21):
I actually don't think this is a bad idea. It certainly beats AAs new offering and isn't that what counts at UA?

I think its true to say UA will look to try and trump AA in whatever they are offering in C. I only hope that this does not distract them from the other competition they compete against across the globe.

daron4000

Tue May 15, 2007 5:59 am

This thread is ridiculous. On a.net we say everyone complain about the service of american carriers and now people are saying that it would be great if UA introduce a second tier product. If SQ is so popular for its sky bed, why are they already replacing it? UA will trump AA and to do this, they must go for a truly flat seat, which is what it will be.

mymiles2go

Tue May 15, 2007 8:13 am

Quoting Shane (Reply 19):
Don't hold your breath, hottie...

Uhh..United said the 767 are being done first.

PVG

Tue May 15, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 11):
Although I don't fly UA often, I must say I hope they come up with something better than SQ's Spacebeds. I fly SQ quite often (living in Singapore, of course), and I'm not very fond of the SQ beds. Although they turn into a flat bed, they are still angled at about 10-15 degrees, and your body just keeps sliding down when you try to sleep. I find QF's and BA's flat beds much better.

they are also a little too hard to spleep comfortably. I think that SAA has the most comfortable "BED" seats.

UAL777UK
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting Mymiles2go (Reply 25):
Uhh..United said the 767 are being done first.

Unless Shane knows something we dont, UA did publicly state that the 767's were the first ones to get the upgrades, although I would have to say, doing the 747's first would make a whole lot more sense.

uaord2000

Wed May 16, 2007 1:44 am

Coming from Jane Allen: The 67's are first in line because they currently have no flat bed offering in F.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos