Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Buyantukhaa
Topic Author

AMS Using Body Scanning Machines As Of Today

Wed May 16, 2007 8:04 am

Amsterdam's Schiphol airport has begun using new body-scanning machines at security checkpoints, the first major airport to use the technology to find metals and explosives hidden under clothing. The "security scan" system, which uses harmless radio waves to display head-to-toe images of people, is also being used by other airports on a trial basis, but Schiphol is the only one to deploy the technology for regular use at its checkpoints.

Going through the scanner takes about three seconds, allowing users to avoid metal detectors or body searches. For privacy, the digital images are viewed by security personnel in another room and deleted after they are viewed. Schiphol handles about 160,000 passengers per day at peak times and is Europe's fourth-busiest hub. So far the security scan is voluntary but officials are hoping to expand it to include all passengers, crew and personnel.

Schiphol is one of the world's most modern airports, with flat-panel screens, airport-wide web access, and iris-scanners already on offer to those who want to bypass passport lines. Some people object to using the machines because they are concerned about the radio waves, rather than privacy, said Schiphol's Chief Operations Officer Ad Rutten. But the alternative, being hand-frisked, is "never a happy story," Rutten says

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL1569798620070515

I warmly welcome this development! While I agree with the necessity of security checks, they are inconvenient and take time, which these machines will hopefully reduce to a minimum. I'll try one next time I go to AMS. If I look green and start posting weird stuff you'll know why!  Big grin
I scratch my head, therefore I am.

KLM11

RE: AMS Using Body Scanning Machines As Of Today

Wed May 16, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see these integrated into screening checkpoints across the globe, especially considering that many explosives now aren't fabricated using metals. Seeing that the TSA recently failed 20 out of 22 undercover tests at various U.S. airports, I gladly welcome the new technology. Wishing them success!

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

lnglive1011yyz

Wed May 16, 2007 11:14 am

Quoting KLM11 (Reply 1):
Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see these integrated into screening checkpoints across the globe, especially considering that many explosives now aren't fabricated using metals. Seeing that the TSA recently failed 20 out of 22 undercover tests at various U.S. airports, I gladly welcome the new technology. Wishing them success!

You will find that the entire globe will take acceptance of this.. EXCEPT for North America.

Somehow, people here in North America are very protective over their bodies.

They'd rather let someone with a bomb attached to their bodies get on their plane, but not let someone see a likeness of your body that WOULD show a bomb....

Sad affair!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

Buyantukhaa
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 6:34 am

From their own website:

Starting today, the Security Scan at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol will be used for passenger security and Customs control procedures. The Security Scan is a machine that produces an image of the body contours using millimetre wave reflection technology. The image will tell security staff immediately whether a passenger is carrying any prohibited items on his or her body. The introduction of the Security Scan at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is a joint initiative of the NCTb (National Counter-Terrorism Coordinator), Customs authorities and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.

Security Scan different from Body Scan

The Security Scan should not be confused with the Body Scan used by the Dutch Border Police (Koninklijke Marechaussee) for so-called 100% security screening at the airport. Unlike the Security Scan, the Body Scan uses X-rays that pass through the body to trace swallowed items.

Customs will use the Security Scan to find out whether passengers are smuggling items (such as drugs, cash or diamonds) in or underneath their clothing. Schiphol uses the Security Scan to check departing passengers who, in accordance with the Civil Aviation Protection Act (Wet beveiliging burgerluchtvaart), must be screened before boarding.

From today, passengers will find a Security Scan at Pier H and another one near the Pier E gate. In the months to come, a total of 17 Security Scans will be installed in the Terminal. Subsequently it will be decided whether the Security Scan should be introduced for security control procedures on a larger scale. For the time being, passengers will have a choice between using the Security Scan or going through regular security procedures.

Passengers will probably experience the Security Scan as a more client-friendly procedure, as it reduces the need for hand searches. The Security Scan is also expected to speed up the overall passenger screening process.

Millimetre wave technology is entirely safe, as it involves the use of harmless millimetre waves that are reflected off the skin. Passengers are not exposed to any type of radiation, and their privacy is carefully guarded too. The Security staff member (image analyst) views the images in a closed space and is unable to see the person in the scan. As an extra privacy precaution, the passenger's head is made invisible.

http://www.schiphol.nl/home/portlet/...34198673795849&bmUID=1179327543761

Stitch

Thu May 17, 2007 6:38 am

So I take it this is different from the backscatter X-rays that have been in development, but essentially offers the same level of performance?

Frankly, I'm in favor of it, as well. Security checkpoints are so terrible now that I'm willing to trade speed for privacy, especially since I get so much of the former back for giving so little of the latter in this case...

Buyantukhaa
Topic Author

Thu May 17, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 4):
So I take it this is different from the backscatter X-rays that have been in development, but essentially offers the same level of performance?

This is different, they're called millimeter waves:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millimeter_wave

The image would look like this:

Some more technical background data of this application can be found here:

http://www.rmc.ca/academic/gradrech/millimeter-e.pdf

PEET7G

Thu May 17, 2007 2:33 pm

I am not an expert in this technology, so my question is how safe is it? I mean, I guess it is not hazardous to health, but what if someone passes it on a daily bases, like crew and staff? I go thru Schipol 1-2 times a month and such a development is a welcome addition to speed up security for sure... I am eager to try this new gadget if offered next week Big grin
Peet7G

jwenting

Thu May 17, 2007 3:00 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 4):

similar idea, different wavelength without the penetrating and ionising properties of X-rays.

Quoting PEET7G (Reply 6):
I am not an expert in this technology, so my question is how safe is it?

quite safe. The radio waves aren't capable of penetrating the skin, and quite incapable of having any effect on the skin.
I wish I were flying

United787

Fri May 18, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 2):
Somehow, people here in North America are very protective over their bodies.

That is because we are so fat  duck 

I think the problem is more with the percieved professionalism of the TSA and the caliper of people that would be looking at our bodies. I personally don't care. What most people don't realize is that we are being watched in dressing rooms at clothing stores...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos