Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kubus
Topic Author

US To Cut Flights From PIT

Thu May 17, 2007 12:15 pm

I just heard it on local TV news. As of July the following non-stops from PIT are gone:
SEA, San Diego, Baltimore, BUF and Martinsburg
The following routes are reduced:
ORD (think 4x now), Erie, YYZ, Syracuse, Albany, Providence, Newark, PHL, IND and LGA (which is total crap, as they have 95% or more loads each way)

There should be some articles about this in tomorrow's papers.

So much for all the talking about expension in last couple of threads regarding PIT.

COERJ145

RE: US To Cut Flights From PIT

Thu May 17, 2007 12:21 pm

Steeler83 won't be happy about this...Poor PIT!

PITSpeedbird

Thu May 17, 2007 12:31 pm

this is sad news

i thought US was going to have seasonal service to SEA this summer

-
PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

stirling

Thu May 17, 2007 12:37 pm

This is really getting ugly.

I wish it were not true, but give it time, and Pittsburgh will be no different than any other NON-HUB city on the US network; flights only to the hubs and maybe 2-3 important O/D markets such as DCA, BOS, and LGA.
Delete this User

N670UW

Thu May 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Here's an article in the Beaver County Times:
http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

Quote:

FINDLAY TWP. - US Airways plans to eliminate more than 20 daily flights out of Pittsburgh International Airport this summer, the airline's deepest scheduling cut systemwide.

"We're making seasonal adjustments across the route map, but no city is seeing reductions like this. It's tough, but it's a business decision. We need planes to cover more profitable flying," US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant said.

MAH4546

Thu May 17, 2007 12:51 pm

I don't get it. What is the point of flying PIT-ORD once daily?!?
a.

OzarkD9S

Thu May 17, 2007 1:09 pm

why don't AA and US just swap STL and PIT?
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer Night's Dream

masseybrown

Thu May 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 1):
Steeler83 won't be happy about this..

Never mind Steeler83, nobody can be happy about this. It looked as if US was making some nice additions to PIT service, rounding out their schedule and then they do a 180.

My suspicion is that domestic traffic is weaker than the official announcements have stated.

stl1326

Thu May 17, 2007 1:35 pm

I thought STL had it bad....This isn't good for PIT and it doesn't seem like any airline wants to expand there. Could we see Southwest add more flights to PIT in the future, its been awhile since they have made any additions there?

masseybrown

Thu May 17, 2007 1:38 pm

Here's the Post-Gazette's version of the story. http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07137/786717-28.stm

But more cuts than what are mentioned in the press have been discussed on a.net lately; maybe it's even worse than has been reported.

Tornado82

Thu May 17, 2007 1:41 pm

Quoting Kubus (Thread starter):
I just heard it on local TV news. As of July the following non-stops from PIT are gone:
SEA, San Diego, Baltimore, BUF and Martinsburg

Something smells here.

MRB has no commercial service, period, exclamation point, and any other punctuation you'd like to add..
SEA and SAN aren't being flown by US currently, although they were *supposedly* to be summer additions, the flights have never flown this year to date.

luketenley

Thu May 17, 2007 1:58 pm

WOW! What a complete shocker to me. From all the rumors I've been hearing, US was going to add flights. Whatever happened to them brining in the E190 and using all the gates at the end of B concourse?? Guess that was a flop. This is a good opportunity for other airlines to cover the slack. With WN adding those BWI flights, I could see the US cuts there. WN needs to add more flights to other destinations. PIT luvs WN! Maybe AA could bring back some mainline flights or DL could add more flights. US should just cut more flights, move all ops to B or A concourse, and let another airline(s) grow and take over B concourse. This news could either be a huge kick in our sack, or a relief.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

flyboy7974

Thu May 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Sad here, my first connection in PIT ever was about 3 weeks ago on 4/29 as I was flying HP/US ORD-PHX and connected through PIT. As I boarded the A319 for PHX at gate B36, the one thing I noticed was how many of the gates there at the end of that terminal weren't being used and just sitting vacant. I thought the terminal was appealing and was disappointed that I hadn't been through PIT before this because the terminal seemed very open with the large windows that sidelined very wide aisles and walkways bordering the center moving walkway. Our flight from ORD arrived about 30 minutes late which eliminated my time I had planned for to walk the PIT terminal and visit the US Club there and the mall area I've heard and always read so much about.

USPIT10L

Thu May 17, 2007 3:06 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 11):
DL could add more flights

I believe DL is stretched to the limit as it is, the YX flights were moved from D76 to D87 early last year. I honestly think these "pulldowns" are a result of soften demand systemwide. They can't cut from where they have traffic (PHX, CLT, and PHL), they have to cut where they can--those DH8s need to be somewhere else. Just shows how quick a traffic "boom" can take place. Glad I'm out of the business right now.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

SANFan

Thu May 17, 2007 3:34 pm

This is very lame. I started the last thread on the seasonal service adjustments not even 2 weeks ago (May 3) stating that the SAN service (due at that time to start 6/03) had been reduced to 2x weekly! (That of course followed the original announcement back in February with schedules indicating daily service, before it was reduced in April to 3x weekly...)

What a way to make customers happy and gain confidence in your carrier, US. This sounds to me like even more incentive for CO to grow CLE even more and faster!

I can hardly wait to see what great plans US has for that huge fleet of a/c that are now available due to these cancelled flights.

Sorry PIT for this very disappointing news. You know, I just realized this is kind of a bigger version of how San Diego felt when US sucked up PSA and a year later, there was only a rez center and engine overhaul facility left and that was about it. (And of course all that is long gone now...)

bb

AussieAl

Thu May 17, 2007 4:26 pm

Noticed this trend from using the Star Alliance Round The World calculator. Our booked PIT - Erie - PIT flights for September just kept disappearing. At least a flights in and out remain, even though the schedule we now have is not as convenient, we will still enjoy.

san747

Thu May 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 14):
What a way to make customers happy and gain confidence in your carrier, US. This sounds to me like even more incentive for CO to grow CLE even more and faster!

I can hardly wait to see what great plans US has for that huge fleet of a/c that are now available due to these cancelled flights.

Well put... I hate how US has completely abandoned PIT... Just look at the Similar Topics box below!
Scotty doesn't know...

PITSpeedbird

Thu May 17, 2007 8:21 pm

One has to wonder why US is bothering to build the Flight Ops center here!

Here's to more WN service at US aviations greatest untapped resources!

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

ERJ170

Thu May 17, 2007 8:43 pm

If these are Dash-8's that US is pulling from PIT, perhaps they will use these aircraft for the routes that Air Midwest is dropping?

I"m sure US will right-size PIT soon because they can't cut it much more and still have it as a secondary hub... but like BNA, RDU, and IND... perhaps not being a hub is the best thing for PIT... you may not have non-stop flights to everywhere, but you will benefit in lower fares and more equilibrated service... so no worries.. no need to moan or be upset at US.. it's all business and that's the way it is sometime.. it's best to look at the future and what can be done now than to look at what has happened/or about to happen and get pissed at a company at doing what they think is right for the company..
Aiming High and going far..

PITSpeedbird

Thu May 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 18):
it's all business and that's the way it is sometime.. it's best to look at the future and what can be done now than to look at what has happened

Group Hug! I feel better

optimist   point   pray 

PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

flyboyaz

Thu May 17, 2007 10:19 pm

It's sad to see any service cut from PIT. Someone just asked this question at work...about adding flights to PIT. The company responded that PIT just doesn't have the O/D for a major hub. It may have great facilities, but unfortunately it just didn't make money.
Catch a ride on a smile!

rb211tristar

Thu May 17, 2007 10:41 pm

I think that's what it comes down to. You guys can bash US for turning its back on a former hub... or pulling a 180 in regards to its PIT growth strategy, but if the money isn't there, then the airlines won't be there either. WN may have slightly better luck based on their reputation, but if its a dead market, then it is what it is.

Tornado82

Thu May 17, 2007 11:00 pm

PIT luvs WN!

WN hasn't had the growth at PIT that they originally expected. Although most of that was because they flew already saturated routes like Chicago when they first came here.

Quoting RB211TriStar (Reply 21):
WN may have slightly better luck based on their reputation, but if its a dead market, then it is what it is.

If it was a dead market, it wouldn't be experiencing it's highest O&D ever.

Molykote

Thu May 17, 2007 11:04 pm

I"m sure US will right-size PIT soon because they can't cut it much more and still have it as a secondary hub... but like BNA, RDU, and IND... perhaps not being a hub is the best thing for PIT... you may not have non-stop flights to everywhere, but you will benefit in lower fares and more equilibrated service... so no worries.. no need to moan or be upset at US.. it's all business and that's the way it is sometime.. it's best to look at the future and what can be done now than to look at what has happened/or about to happen and get pissed at a company at doing what they think is right for the company..

Agreed. Having grown up in PIT in the 1990s I hate to see the airport take another kick in the shorts as much as anyone.

However, now that PIT is (basically an O&D operation), any cutback in air service (regardless of carrier) is a consequence of the city's poor management above all else.

If the city of Pittsburgh can spark some substantial growth in the future, flights will return. Unfortunately, it seems like tales of PIT's economic "promise" in the near future have been ongoing since the tech boom of the mid-late 1990s. PIT has made some progress, but not nearly enough to sustain more air service apparently (or at least not enough to make it more profitable than using the aircraft elsewhere).

I am a registered Republican, but I only become "anti-democrat" when I return to Pittsburgh for a visit  Smile
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

NWADC9

Thu May 17, 2007 11:30 pm

I have a weird feeling we're the next BWI. US is eventually going to make us nothing more than an oversized outstation, and maybe WN might take over!

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
I don't get it. What is the point of flying PIT-ORD once daily?!?

Well, they do codeshare with UA...
I get paid to convert dead dino juice into noise.

kubus
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2007 12:22 am

Hey Tornado82,
That's the reason I said in my post that more news will be in the papers. 11PM news hardly ever gets anything right and I was taking the cities off of their graphic. The Martinsburg is actually Altoona according to Pittburgh Post (link in Massey's post above). SEA and San Diego were 3x weekly summer only, and they are not coming back after this year
At least the LGA cuts are weekend only from 6 to 5 times daily.
BUT
There is also an increase coming on LAX and SFO to 2 times daily as of June, but only through September. Yeah... not.

MSYtristar

Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 am

Why bother with just one daily PIT-ORD flight? Why not like 4 RJ's or something at least? US can say "see ya" to the PIT-ORD business passengers, of which i'm sure there are quite a few. AA and UA should be welcoming this news.

LambertMan

Fri May 18, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 6):
why don't AA and US just swap STL and PIT?

I hope you are not serious. American has treated St. Louis as its golden child compared to what US Airways is doing in Pittsburgh. Am I the only one that likes American?

WOW! What a complete shocker to me. From all the rumors I've been hearing, US was going to add flights. Whatever happened to them brining in the E190 and using all the gates at the end of B concourse?? Guess that was a flop. This is a good opportunity for other airlines to cover the slack. With WN adding those BWI flights, I could see the US cuts there. WN needs to add more flights to other destinations. PIT luvs WN! Maybe AA could bring back some mainline flights or DL could add more flights. US should just cut more flights, move all ops to B or A concourse, and let another airline(s) grow and take over B concourse. This news could either be a huge kick in our sack, or a relief.

The problem with a lot of these cutbacks in service is that WN will have no interest in flying them. PIT-SEA/SAN? I don't think so. That is most definitely not up WN's alley. Fringey O&D traffic and not well established at either end.

I'm sure there will be some in-fill traffic as a result of some of these losses, but not as much as you may think. I am actually a little surprised that US is putting forth its best effort to abandon PIT. It sure seemed like they could have a nice thing in the form of American at St. Louis.

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Flyboy7974 (Reply 12):
Sad here, my first connection in PIT ever was about 3 weeks ago on 4/29 as I was flying HP/US ORD-PHX and connected through PIT. As I boarded the A319 for PHX at gate B36, the one thing I noticed was how many of the gates there at the end of that terminal weren't being used and just sitting vacant. I thought the terminal was appealing and was disappointed that I hadn't been through PIT before this because the terminal seemed very open with the large windows that sidelined very wide aisles and walkways bordering the center moving walkway. Our flight from ORD arrived about 30 minutes late which eliminated my time I had planned for to walk the PIT terminal and visit the US Club there and the mall area I've heard and always read so much about.

Yeah you definately missed an opportunity to see a great facility. The gates at the end of B concourse were supposed to be used up by Republic and US when they brought their E190s in. But who knows if that will happen now.

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 17):
One has to wonder why US is bothering to build the Flight Ops center here!

Here's to more WN service at US aviations greatest untapped resources!

Was wondering that myself.

I think that's what it comes down to. You guys can bash US for turning its back on a former hub... or pulling a 180 in regards to its PIT growth strategy, but if the money isn't there, then the airlines won't be there either. WN may have slightly better luck based on their reputation, but if its a dead market, then it is what it is.

If PIT has such horrible O&D, then why is the parking lots been recently expanded and completely full most of the time? And why are we seeing our highest O&D numbers now? We are still seeing almost 10 million pax a year with US pulling flights.

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 22):
WN hasn't had the growth at PIT that they originally expected. Although most of that was because they flew already saturated routes like Chicago when they first came here.

They have plenty of destination they could serve from here if they wanted to expand. They just started out with the popular stops first.

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 24):
I have a weird feeling we're the next BWI. US is eventually going to make us nothing more than an oversized outstation, and maybe WN might take over!

But now BWI is having success with WN and they have their new international terminal which looks beautiful. As far as WN taking over, they are really close to their PHL and BWI hubs so it might be hard to really build up a huge hub in PIT. I could see 30- 50 flights per day but I doubt a 100+ market. Would love to see it though!

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 26):
Why bother with just one daily PIT-ORD flight? Why not like 4 RJ's or something at least? US can say "see ya" to the PIT-ORD business passengers, of which i'm sure there are quite a few. AA and UA should be welcoming this news.

AA and UA could really take advantage of this and add flights. AA could bring back mainline. They would have the traffic I'm sure.

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 1:02 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 27):
The problem with a lot of these cutbacks in service is that WN will have no interest in flying them. PIT-SEA/SAN? I don't think so. That is most definitely not up WN's alley. Fringey O&D traffic and not well established at either end.

I'm sure there will be some in-fill traffic as a result of some of these losses, but not as much as you may think. I am actually a little surprised that US is putting forth its best effort to abandon PIT. It sure seemed like they could have a nice thing in the form of American at St. Louis.

What you will find with US, most of the time they will cut flights but a month or so later they will add more flights back to other destinations. Who knows if it will happen now. 20 flights is alot of flights to cut.

What other airlines could service SEA or SAN?

LambertMan

Fri May 18, 2007 1:13 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 29):
What other airlines could service SEA or SAN?

Like I said, there may not be any airlines rushing to fill those gaps. Southwest is the only even semi-logical choice because that fits into their route structure. That's still a long reach, however. You would have to think that Buffalo will not be replaced either. Maybe expressjet down the road if they aren't already out of business?

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 29):

What you will find with US, most of the time they will cut flights but a month or so later they will add more flights back to other destinations. Who knows if it will happen now. 20 flights is alot of flights to cut.

If you ask me, this mass cut in schedule is their way of trying to get their second foot out the door in Pittsburgh (first out already of course). It's really a shame too, but I guess the traffic isn't there, which is pretty hard to believe given the huge FF base. Will this eventually be nothing more than a spoke city + business destinations? It really could be the end result. If that were the case, it may be time to play ball with Frontier or AirTran.

ScottB

Fri May 18, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 26):

I was going to say the same about the cut of PIT-EWR from four daily round-trips to one; this is essentially giving the market up to Continental (though CO probably had already gained the vast majority of the business traffic on the route, with seven daily trips).

What is somewhat telling is the fact that as of 3Q06, US led in market share in only half of PIT's top ten markets (actually, only one of the top six), and did not even serve the #5 market (ATL) non-stop. It's also a little weird that the articles linked missed some of the discontinued markets, like PIT-ROC, PIT-RSW, PIT-PBI, and PIT-AVP. Then again, maybe they saw a schedule that's different than the one currently loaded for sale.

rb211tristar

Fri May 18, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 20):
It's sad to see any service cut from PIT. Someone just asked this question at work...about adding flights to PIT. The company responded that PIT just doesn't have the O/D for a major hub. It may have great facilities, but unfortunately it just didn't make money.

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 28):
If PIT has such horrible O&D, then why is the parking lots been recently expanded and completely full most of the time? And why are we seeing our highest O&D numbers now? We are still seeing almost 10 million pax a year with US pulling flights.

That's why I said "IF". There's some people in this thread saying it simply doesn't have the traffic, and others saying its booming. I'm not claiming to have data that supports either side. I'm simply saying that you can't blame the airline for making a decision based on dollars and route structure. I will, however, support complaints about airline decisions based on dollars relating to pax comfort.  Smile

joeman

Fri May 18, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Flyboyaz (Reply 20):

But CLT does... I hate canned wishy washy spin rhetorick to deflect any real answers. One minute they're talking about places like ORD or EWR/JFK being the only places with enough O & D or yield to produce any adequate results as those markets dilute with saturation and then you have a CLT or SLC. As a CLE person, I've heard it all about the CLE hub even if the latest rumors of a real expansion take place.

The PIT market and those similar to it deserve improved airline connections to service their own needs, especially the longer distance ones like those mentioned above that avoid making other hubs "happen".

lhpdx

Fri May 18, 2007 2:35 am

Damn...This is aweful...You have such a nice facility and it's going to become more of a ghost town.........

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 2:59 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 30):
If you ask me, this mass cut in schedule is their way of trying to get their second foot out the door in Pittsburgh (first out already of course). It's really a shame too, but I guess the traffic isn't there, which is pretty hard to believe given the huge FF base. Will this eventually be nothing more than a spoke city business destinations? It really could be the end result. If that were the case, it may be time to play ball with Frontier or AirTran.

It's really a shame though. Very sad to see this happening again.

Quoting RB211TriStar (Reply 32):
That's why I said "IF". There's some people in this thread saying it simply doesn't have the traffic, and others saying its booming. I'm not claiming to have data that supports either side. I'm simply saying that you can't blame the airline for making a decision based on dollars and route structure. I will, however, support complaints about airline decisions based on dollars relating to pax comfort.

Pax comfort and the people working for US that have to move everytime US makes a decision like this. I just talked to my FA buddy who has been with the company for 30 years. He has been watching this story develop since last night. He is just sick when he hears this. He has been dealing with possibly getting moved to another city for the past year and it's just making him physically sick.

Quoting Joeman (Reply 33):
But CLT does... I hate canned wishy washy spin rhetorick to deflect any real answers. One minute they're talking about places like ORD or EWR/JFK being the only places with enough O & D or yield to produce any adequate results as those markets dilute with saturation and then you have a CLT or SLC. As a CLE person, I've heard it all about the CLE hub even if the latest rumors of a real expansion take place.

The PIT market and those similar to it deserve improved airline connections to service their own needs, especially the longer distance ones like those mentioned above that avoid making other hubs "happen".

And doesn't PIT have higher O&D the CLT? I know CLT has the Carribean network that helps them out alot but PIT does have higher O&D. CO will definately be expanding CLE if US keeps pulling flights out of PIT. People would rather drive back up to CLE then try and find flights from PIT unless another airline takes over.

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting LHPDX (Reply 34):
Damn...This is aweful...You have such a nice facility and it's going to become more of a ghost town.........

Yeah we do. I get to see it everyday. Its definately very sad news.

silentbob

Fri May 18, 2007 3:08 am

If these are Dash-8's that US is pulling from PIT, perhaps they will use these aircraft for the routes that Air Midwest is dropping?

Some Dash 8's are being parked due to a lack of pilots. I see that CMH is now being covered by Saabs and not DH8s as well.

Quoting N670UW (Reply 4):
We need planes to cover more profitable flying," US Airways spokesman Morgan Durrant said.

That's the real answer right there. If you have a limited amount of resources (aircraft), you put them in the places that will allow you to make the biggest profit possible. At this time, PIT is not one of those places.

USPIT10L

Fri May 18, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 28):

Delta and Southwest are picking up some of the slack. The problem is, DL is practically maxed out as far as gate space is concerned and WN can only add so much--they've also got DEN and IAD to think about as well. I blame the county, and US management for no effort and too-optimisting predictions. I would fire the whole of ACAA for the lack of progress they've made on attracting LCCs. When F9 announced CAK, I was furious! We need additional capacity to the west, and where does it go, CAK! WN is not everything--they won't fly to LGA, BOS, or DCA, ever. That is where the money is made here--not Chicago or Dallas or even LA. I suspect we will keep our nonstops to SFO and LAX for a while, as well as the rest of the mainline flights. But Express is a crapshoot--I'm just glad I don't work for PSA, there may not be anything left minus the at-risk Trans States flying, and EAS service.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 3:36 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 38):
Delta and Southwest are picking up some of the slack. The problem is, DL is practically maxed out as far as gate space is concerned and WN can only add so much--they've also got DEN and IAD to think about as well. I blame the county, and US management for no effort and too-optimisting predictions. I would fire the whole of ACAA for the lack of progress they've made on attracting LCCs. When F9 announced CAK, I was furious! We need additional capacity to the west, and where does it go, CAK! WN is not everything--they won't fly to LGA, BOS, or DCA, ever. That is where the money is made here--not Chicago or Dallas or even LA. I suspect we will keep our nonstops to SFO and LAX for a while, as well as the rest of the mainline flights. But Express is a crapshoot--I'm just glad I don't work for PSA, there may not be anything left minus the at-risk Trans States flying, and EAS service.

How much traffic does CAK actually get? Airtran is decent there as well.

What all airlines fly to LGA, BOS, and DCA besides US?

n710ps

Fri May 18, 2007 3:57 am

PIT has been dying for a long time. It will only get worse for them too. Unfortuneately the Allegheny cities are going to the way side. No LGA-:PIT service was cut but it was reduced. The 0600 mainline went down to a Air Wisky CRJ.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

joeman

Fri May 18, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Joeman (Reply 33):
The company responded that PIT just doesn't have the O/D for a major hub. It may have great facilities, but unfortunately it just didn't make money.

But CLT does...

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 35):
And doesn't PIT have higher O&D the CLT?

I think the answer is definitley. I should have put a question mark after my "But CLT does..." comment to emphasize my sarcasm.

rsbj

Fri May 18, 2007 4:07 am

I wouldn't be surprised to see us (WN) add some flights towards the end of the year/beginning of next year in light of this. We have wanted to grow PIT since it's inception in May 2005, but there always seems to be a couple of higher priorities. Hopefully this will put PIT at the top of priorities over growing IAD, DEN, and SFO. Don't hold your breath though, I've been wrong plenty of times!
I fly really fast and take a lot of chances.

Logos

Fri May 18, 2007 4:12 am

I just talked to my FA buddy who has been with the company for 30 years. He has been watching this story develop since last night. He is just sick when he hears this. He has been dealing with possibly getting moved to another city for the past year and it's just making him physically sick.

It's happening - I just started another thread with a link to this article

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07137/786843-100.stm

In addition to the cities mentioned here, I noticed that MCO has been cut back from 3 to 2 daily flights as I tried to book a flight for this July. AirTran is back up to 2 dailies on that route and I ended up going with them.

Cheers,
Dave in Orlando
Too many types flown to list

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting RSBJ (Reply 42):
I wouldn't be surprised to see us (WN) add some flights towards the end of the year/beginning of next year in light of this. We have wanted to grow PIT since it's inception in May 2005, but there always seems to be a couple of higher priorities. Hopefully this will put PIT at the top of priorities over growing IAD, DEN, and SFO. Don't hold your breath though, I've been wrong plenty of times!

PIT was on the list that someone from WN's management put out if I am correct. They want to build up PIT.

cle757

Fri May 18, 2007 4:15 am

Sounds like its a good time for CO to add some RJ service to CLE from PIT.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Logos (Reply 43):
It's happening - I just started another thread with a link to this article

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07137/786843-100.stm

In addition to the cities mentioned here, I noticed that MCO has been cut back from 3 to 2 daily flights as I tried to book a flight for this July. AirTran is back up to 2 dailies on that route and I ended up going with them.

The FA flight cut has been talked about for the past month or so. It would figure that flight cuts would soon follow a drastic FA cut like that. But they claim that this had nothing to do with the flight cuts. My a$$.

luketenley

Fri May 18, 2007 4:24 am

Quoting CLE757 (Reply 45):
Sounds like its a good time for CO to add some RJ service to CLE from PIT.

I wouldn't be suprised if that would happen, especially if CO builds up CLE more.

masseybrown

Fri May 18, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting Joeman (Reply 41):
And doesn't PIT have higher O&D the CLT?

I think the answer is definitley.

PIT used to be bigger, but according to the 3rd Quarter 2006 Consumer Air Fare sampling of the 1000 biggest routes, CLT is now slightly larger by about 1/2 million O&D pax annually.

I believe these O&D numbers get inflated some at the really big hubs since a lot of rewritten or rerouted flow traffic gets counted as O&D. So if CLT's O&D is artificially benefitting from growing and PIT's is disadvantaged by shrinking, it might still be fair to say PIT has more "true" O&D, but the difference probably isn't as great as it used to be..

DAYflyer

Fri May 18, 2007 4:28 am

Looks like Southwest move into the PIT market has created another Baltimore for US. You can expect Southwest to now expand offerings from PIT, and FL will likely follow suit.
One Nation Under God

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos