IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Melbourne & Avalon Airport (Australia) News

Sat May 19, 2007 9:12 pm

hey guys,

Saw this post on skyscrapercity.com (tiger article posted by AUBOY, AAX article posted by Tayser). very interesting news.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Tiger Airways Australia will be the anchor tenant to operate out of Melbourne Airport's Terminal Four when it starts domestic flights in Australia later this year.

Terminal Four will be designed with the aim of providing effective facilities specially tailored to Tiger Airways' low fare model to enable efficient turnaround of aircraft and passengers. Passengers will benefit from the straightforward check-in and boarding process with Tiger Airways' aircraft parked right up front of the terminal. Terminal Four is conveniently located immediately adjacent to the other terminals so passengers can be off the plane and into their cars in minutes.

Although more basic than Melbourne Airport's existing terminals, Terminal Four will be equipped with retail and convenience facilities to cater to passengers requirements. The uncluttered structure will bring travel back to the basics by paring down unnecessary frills such as business lounges and aerobridges to keep costs low, but provide a safe and completely efficient service with consistently low fares.

"Tiger Airways is delighted that Melbourne Airport is providing us with a terminal that will allow us to live up to our mantra of providing efficient and punctual airline service to our passengers at the lowest possible fares. Operating in Terminal Four with the true low fare airline model adopted by Tiger Airways that has proven to be so successful in the US, Europe and Asia. We will work closely with Melbourne Airport to ensure that our customers enjoy the unique Tiger Airways experience of reliable services while paying the lowest possible fares," said Tiger Airways CEO Tony Davis.

Melbourne Airport CEO Chris Barlow said: "Terminal Four will provide passengers with a unique airport experience. It will be a low-frills facility, providing good value for Tiger Airways and its passengers. We are pleased to be able to provide effective and safe passenger facilities that help Tiger Airways deliver its low-fare model here in Melbourne."

source http://en.carnoc.com/list/2/2846.html

Interesting that they plan on using the former impulse/virgin terminal.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

AirAsia plans to beat Jetstar to the punch on cheap flights to Malaysia
Scott Rochfort and Nadia Jamal
May 18, 2007

ASIA'S largest low-cost carrier, AirAsia, has issued the biggest challenge to Jetstar's international operations to date, announcing plans to be the first budget carrier to operate between Australia and Malaysia.

AirAsia founder Tony Fernandes said yesterday his airline's new long-haul offshoot — AirAsiaX — planned to begin services on September 8, either to Avalon Airport or Adelaide.

This is one day before Jetstar is due to begin flights from Sydney to AirAsia's base, Kuala Lumpur.

It is expected AirAsia would then offer passengers the opportunity to fly on to its short-haul destinations in Asia.

Mr Fernandes said his airline would offer $285 return fares from Australia to Kuala Lumpur, undercutting the $990 return fares offered on the Jetstar website yesterday.

But given the expense of landing and parking aircraft at Sydney, Mr Fernandes said it was unlikely AirAsiaX would fly to Australia's largest airport any time soon.

"I would want to go to Newcastle before Sydney," Mr Fernandes said. He said AirAsiaX's aim to offer cheaper fares would be aided by its plans to fly to airports with lower costs. Avalon Airport's landing fees are negligible compared with Melbourne's Tullamarine and, unlike Jetstar, AirAsiaX would use the low-cost terminal in Kuala Lumpur.

AirAsia's plans come on top of Viva Macau's confirmation this week that it planned to become the first low-cost Asian carrier to fly to Sydney in July. Singapore's Tiger Airways, which plans to start domestic flights out of Melbourne this year, already has international flights to Perth and Darwin.

Avalon Airport boss Tim Anderson said he had talked to AirAsia. "We're considering all of the options at the moment," he said.

"They are complex, but we do believe that we will be able to provide all the facilities and services necessary for international activity."

Jetstar declined to rule out using Avalon for international flights.

Meanwhile, the Australian and International Pilots Association has launched a campaign to pressure the Qantas board "to commit to maintaining a world-class airline and ensuring that its low-cost operation — Jetstar — does not threaten the Qantas Group's international reputation".

The union has called on the airline to provide pilots with an "economic stake in the airline's future" and to ditch Jetstar's plans to put new pilots on Australian Workplace Agreements.

source http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...995324342.html

Looks like they are looking for new ways into the Australian market to differenciate their product. Could be very rewarding.

Zkpilot

RE: Melbourne & Avalon Airport (Australia) News

Sat May 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Interesting news there mate... I doubt it is worth an ongoing thread about MEL however... the entire Australian Aviation Thread struggles at times and MEL just ain't that busy or particularly notworthy.  Wink
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Sat May 19, 2007 11:09 pm

you got a point there Smile

i might just add this to the other thread.

Zkpilot

Sat May 19, 2007 11:21 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 2):
you got a point there

i might just add this to the other thread.

yeah just thought I might mention is all  Wink
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

mainMAN

Sun May 20, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 1):
Interesting news there mate... I doubt it is worth an ongoing thread about MEL however... the entire Australian Aviation Thread struggles at times and MEL just ain't that busy or particularly notworthy.

Have a look at the most recent MAN thread if you need some pointers about how to keep a thread going about very little in particular. It's a challenge but always possible  Smile

Speaking of challenges, I'm looking forward to the possibility of booking AirAsiaX flights from MAN via KUL to AVV for peanuts. Especially as where I'm usually heading is Geelong.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2007 3:21 pm

It certainly will be different.. this may upset the major players from their often comortable market position.

Avalon is definately not the best place for international flights at this point in time though and will take alot of work to pull this off. Maybe they should utilise a couple of hangers.. not sure if they are all being used now but could work well if they became the new terminals.

Tiger is a fan of tin sheds it seems so maybe AAX also like that style.

Motorhussy

Sun May 20, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 4):
flights from MAN via KUL to AVV

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 5):
Avalon is definately not the best place for international flights

You land in the middle of a sheep paddock and are half convinced they've had to put down in the out-back by accident.
come visit the south pacific

sparklehorse12

Sun May 20, 2007 8:40 pm

Interesting mention of NTL as an alternative to SYD. NTL would LOVE this kind of language. Can NTL take an A330 ?
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Sun May 20, 2007 9:26 pm

Isnt NTL a RAAF Base?

I would have thought that it should be able to but im unsure.

AVV and NTL are certainly a new way of getting into the major markets. How many Km's from SYD is NTL?

flashflyguy

Sun May 20, 2007 10:28 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 8):
How many Km's from SYD is NTL?

Not sure on the distance SYD-NTL by road. But from a large part of the Sydney area, you'd be looking at 3-3.5 hours travelling to get there. And public transport options are limited, I think, from Newcastle out to the airport if travelling by train up to Newcastle. Although it could be a good catchment for the Central Coast to lower Mid North Coast, maybe.

FFG

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e258/flasha80/Misc/Williamtown.jpg

melpax

Sun May 20, 2007 11:08 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 4):
Speaking of challenges, I'm looking forward to the possibility of booking AirAsiaX flights from MAN via KUL to AVV for peanuts. Especially as where I'm usually heading is Geelong.

Avalon has been adopted by those in Sleepy Hollow (otherwise known as Geelong!) as 'their' airport as Avalon is on it's outskirts. Also bear in mind that the start of the Great Ocean Road & the surf coast (including Tourqay, Bells Beach, 12 Apostles) is only a half hour or so drive away, so the local tourist operators & the Geelong community will get right behind any international operations out of AVV. I suspect the same would be the case with Newcastle. I've heard of cases where people living in the northern outskirts of Sydney (Hornsby & the like) fly out of there in prefrence to Mascot, as it's much easier to get to (no fighting thru awful sydney traffic......)
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

OceansWorld

Sun May 20, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 7):
Can NTL take an A330 ?

Well, the actual civil apron is really small. On the "other" site, there's an aerial picture of the airport with a DJ B737 parked. With it, the parking space looks pretty full, so with an A330-300... The civil aviation taxiway seems to be too small to handle such a big bird, and finally, the runway is 7999ft/ 2438m long. I don't know if this is long enough to handle an A333 flying non-stop to KUL. According to GCM, the NTL-KUL is 3550nm, but the true airways are always longer than the straight lines the site propose.

mainMAN

Mon May 21, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 9):
lower Mid North Coast

The Lower Mid North Coast?! Where precisely is that?  Wink

Quoting Melpax (Reply 10):

Avalon has been adopted by those in Sleepy Hollow (otherwise known as Geelong!) as 'their' airport as Avalon is on it's outskirts. Also bear in mind that the start of the Great Ocean Road & the surf coast (including Tourqay, Bells Beach, 12 Apostles) is only a half hour or so drive away, so the local tourist operators & the Geelong community will get right behind any international operations out of AVV.

I'd imagine that AVV would be too far for most Melburnians (i.e. from the eastern suburbs) to travel, all for the sake of saving a few bucks.

sparklehorse12

Mon May 21, 2007 10:13 am

NTL is a RAAF base that allows commercial airliners to land, same set up as DRW.

NTL - SYD is about 2 hours drive straight down the freeway. NTL itself is about 25 kms to the city of Newcastle and from there the are plenty of options to get to Sydney. There is a train every 1/2 hour that takes two hours so in terms of servicing Sydney it is actually viable.

Because I don't know much about size of runway for aircraft I am not sure if an A330 can land there although one would assume it could considering it has big military aircraft land there.....?
Airlines Flown : QF,NW,AA, CX, AC, MH, SQ, DJ, NZ, TG, PG,US, FJ, J8, AN, DD, JQ

keno

Mon May 21, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting Sparklehorse12 (Reply 13):
NTL - SYD is about 2 hours drive straight down the freeway. NTL itself is about 25 kms to the city of Newcastle and from there the are plenty of options to get to Sydney. There is a train every 1/2 hour that takes two hours so in terms of servicing Sydney it is actually viable.

Airlines that may want to use NTL got to be *significantly* cheap compared to the principal carriers in order allure travellers from SYD catchment area. It may be 2 hours on the freeway alone, but adding the time it takes to leave one's house and arrive at the terminal itself, plus check-in time, I bet i would take a lot longer than that.

melpax

Mon May 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 12):
I'd imagine that AVV would be too far for most Melburnians (i.e. from the eastern suburbs) to travel, all for the sake of saving a few bucks.

Yes & No. For those familiar with Melbourne, I live in Bayswater in the outer east, in good traffic I can get to AVV in an hour or so using the city link tunnel, so it's not too much of a difference from driving out to Tulla. It all depends on what deals JQ are offering, obviously if people can save 100 bucks or so, then they might be tempted to drive further out to AVV. A work colleague lives out at Werribee (outer west), AVV is only 20 minutes or so down the freeway, so he flys on JQ quite a bit.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2007 11:11 pm

hey guys,

I remember the days that hazelton tried syd-avv.. huge failure that nearly bankrupted the company. Now JQ have made it work. with Geeling growing at a decent pace, and decentralisation being implemented by some govt departments and companies AVV may start to allow more and more growth. Maybe Disneyland at Avalon will work Smile jk Stranger things have happened.

I did not think about central coast population for NTL, which certainly increases the catchment area.

Could be very worthwhile. I remember freedom air tried both CBR and NTL at similar time and it didnt work. Norfolk air now fly to NTL i think i read. We see how these things go. Is KUL the right destination though for NTL. Not so sure. Maybe a KUL-NTL-CBR-KUL flight would work.

aussie_

Tue May 22, 2007 7:06 am

Freedom Air never tried CBR.

CBR makes more sense than NTL. There is precious little room on the civil side of NTL for any expansion, whereas CBR is now fully capable for widebody movements and is similar time to drive to Sydney (though it's further - roads to NTL are nowhere near as good and are subject to major delays at peak times)

sparklehorse12

Tue May 22, 2007 7:13 am

Quoting Aussie_ (Reply 17):
Freedom Air never tried CBR.

CBR makes more sense than NTL. There is precious little room on the civil side of NTL for any expansion, whereas CBR is now fully capable for widebody movements and is similar time to drive to Sydney (though it's further - roads to NTL are nowhere near as good and are subject to major delays at peak times)

As a traveller I would much prefer to fly into NTL than our souless capital, CBR.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2007 11:51 pm

oh sorry, yes that is right, it was Air Pacific that flew into CBR.

CBR really has not been tried much.. Interesting that in a Australian Aviation magazine a few year ago, it was mentioned that EK was looking at CBR service. Interesting idea but hardly something that I can see being successful. Maybe a DXB-ADL-CBR service but even thats a stretch of the imagination i think.

As australia has very low population density, secondary airports do not have the same opportunties to thrive on large catchment areas like in Europe (eg. HNN). It hardly seems likely that many secondary airports will become a reality in next few decades as the growth potential is limited, as I think AVV is not that far from current growth limit.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2007 5:03 pm

Hi al,

Things have gone quiet on this one.. much like the growrth at MEL over 06-07 Smile

MEL

For the upcoming year the confirmed new carriers/flights are:

Indian (Confirmed) Daily
Thai (Confirmed) Increase from 1 to 2 Daily
Cathay Pacific (Confirmed) Increase from 2 to 3 Daily
Tiger Airways (Confirmed Base) Routes not announced
Toll Priority (Confirmed) New Freight routes

Route opportunities include:

Qatar (Landing Rights granted, unconfirmed route announcement)
Virgin Blue International (Unconfirmed) Routes not announced
Virgin Atlantic (Unconfirmed, have signalled their intention to serve the city)
Emirates (Unconfirmed) possible increase from 2 to 3 Daily
Jetstar (Unconfirmed) Asian and domestic expansion routes
Oasis (unconfirmed) Flights planned
Air Paradise (Unconfirmed)

AVV

For the upcoming year the confirmed new carriers/flights are:

n/a

Route opportunities include:

Jetstar (unconfirmed) Extra domestic services, possibly OOL (Gold Coast) added
Air Asia Xpress (unconfirmed) Routes not yet announced, although the airline is very interested in serving the airport

Any additional news or routes I am missing?

What I find is disturbing is the lack of Pacific island carriers flying to MEL. Air Pacific is the only carrier flying here. We used to get Air Nauru (no longer operating, new carrier is Our Airline), Air Calin and Some Virgin Pacific flights (if I remember correctly). Are there any others that also flew here?

Regards,

IndianicWorld

6thfreedom

Fri May 25, 2007 5:20 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 20):
Are there any others that also flew here?

Air Vanuatu use to fly to MEL, and Air Nuigini doesn't operate either.

DJ operated NAN and VLI for a while, but not successful.
I think SYD and BNE have a bigger pacific islamnd communities, and the services from MEL lack the VFR traffic.

For holidays I think Victorians tend to head north to asia...

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2007 5:28 pm

Interesting that Virgin Blue (or Pacific) couldnt get the routes to work. Atleast they tried I guess. I agree that MEL seems more Asia/Europe focused than BNE for example.

As Nauru seemingly used to own half of Melbourne, it was the obvious choice for a destination at that time.

PNG really hasnt got any focus from MEL. I dont think most people here know anything about PNG. Must be too far south Smile

I do worry about the future of MEL as an airport design wise. Airports around the world seem to be evolving but MEL stays stagnant. BAA took the airport and made it evolve more into a shopping and dining destination which was good, although there is much more potention. A new departures road needs to be created as that road can be a mess (as i experienced this morning). Any ideas for improvements?

TruemanQLD

Fri May 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 6):

I heard OOL.

QF175

Fri May 25, 2007 6:24 pm

IIRC, either the first, or one of the first International services from Air Calin was NOU-MEL. Interestingly a friend tried redeeming QF FF points for BNE-NAN-BNE recently but was unable to find a non-stop flight. Instead he was offered BNE-MEL-NAN. He said LF on the 767 MEL-NAN was ~40%... can see why PacBlue canned MEL-NAN.

There isn't much demand for Pacific (South) services from MEL unlike AKL/BNE/SYD. BNE is a gateway to the South Pacific like AKL and receives many flights (some very interesting ones). Also due to BNE's close proximity to the Islands and short flying times, many holiday in the South Pacific. You could say it's the same with PER and Mauritius.

People from MEL tend to instead holiday in places like Broome, Indonesia, Thailand etc.

It will certainly be interesting to hear TG's and Oasis' plans for MEL.

Finally, with regards to Air Paradise, well last I heard was that they were hoping to secure an Indonesian Gov't investment in the airline. Not 100% on this though, but I'm sure someone will be able to correct me.

6thfreedom

Fri May 25, 2007 6:28 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 22):
I do worry about the future of MEL as an airport design wise. Airports around the world seem to be evolving but MEL stays stagnant. BAA took the airport and made it evolve more into a shopping and dining destination which was good, although there is much more potention. A new departures road needs to be created as that road can be a mess (as i experienced this morning). Any ideas for improvements?

Airside is not a worry.
Masterplan shows freight moving down further round towards maintenance hangars, with the terminal expanding down over Terminal 4 (now Tiger) and all the freight area.

T3 (currently DJ) can get a second level if required for expanded international ops, and there is also the option of significantly expanding the diamond at the end of international to add another 6-8 gates.

So airside is OK, although I hear you about the elevated road for departures. It is a mess, and needs to be expanded asap.

sparklehorse12

Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 pm

FJ into schedule is not particular friendly into MEL...?. A few weeks ago I took the last plane out of BNE to MEL and arrived at 11:45. FJ landed before us and I assume was going to load and go back to NAN?

Each time I have done the BNE NAN route on FJ or DJ is has been 80-90% full. Like it has been said, Fiji, Vanuatu& Samoa are fairly popular destinations from BNE, although there is no direct service to APW from BNE. According to gossip DJ are going to do one soon.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2007 10:54 pm

Was reading on skyscrapercity.com that Korean are looking at starting 3 times weekly ICN-MEL. This would be a great route.

Also it looks like QF are looking at a China route from MEL. This would join a rush of China Services which are:

China Southern
China Eastern
Air China
Cathay Pacific (HK)

What are the frequencies of CS and CE to MEL these days btw?

6thfreedom

Mon May 28, 2007 6:56 am

Korean Air looking to launch 3pw from Nov 2007...

Air China currently 3pw A332 PEK-PVG-MEL-SYD-PVG-PEK, but becoming 3pw turnaround from Nov 2007.

China Eastern 4pw A332 PVG-MEL-SYD-PVG

China Southern 3pw A332 CAN-MEL-SYD-CAN

Cathay Pacific to increase from 14 to 21pw HKG--MEL-HKG from 1 Oct.

Quetzal

Mon May 28, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 28):
Korean Air looking to launch 3pw from Nov 2007...

What equipment are they using?
No matter how far you push the envelope, it will always remain Stationery.

6thfreedom

Mon May 28, 2007 11:52 am

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 29):
What equipment are they using?

A330

bill142

Mon May 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Quoting Aussie_ (Reply 17):

CBR would be a good alternative had the high speed train gone in. CBR-SYD CBD in 60 minutes is in reality no worse then any other major centre in the world. Things would be much better if the train terminal was stationed at the airport rather then having to travel the 10 minutes to Kingston. However, the train has been canned for the foreseeable future.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2007 4:44 pm

I was talking to a friend yesterday while at Southern Cross Station who dreams of european style train routes connecting many points of the state and country on a regular basis. To do this though is the need for the dreaded (in politician eyes) decentalisation. This got me thinking. Imagine Ballarat or Bendigo with 500,000 to 1 million people Smile There could be a domestic/International compatiable airport at both, with flights all over the country.

Does anone think that the latrobe valley airport has a chance of gaining more services (eg DJ) or Tiger? I see in the future an airport at Bairnsdale/Lakes Enterance/Paynesville as I think that that area could become thwe next Gold Coast. Alot cooler I agree but its a great area. Does anyone think that this could become a reality?

Its great news regarding possible ICN flights though as it has surely been lacking on the network for a while now. How about an South African service now... Not the best time financially for that carrier but would be a success IMHO.

Regards,

IndianicWorld

6thfreedom

Tue May 29, 2007 12:30 pm

QF announced 2pw MEL-PVG from Mar 2008.

2pw? why bother?

VHVXB

Tue May 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 33):
QF announced 2pw MEL-PVG from Mar 2008.

2pw? why bother?

rotfl 
God knows why. According to QF its in response to CAs expansion into Australia

chinaeastern

Tue May 29, 2007 1:56 pm

well, here is question: can QF rotate their crew say MEL-PVG-SYD? if that is the case, the cost for a 2wkly service would be greatly reduced.
anyway, been waiting for this service for so long. i don't mind going MEL-SYD-PVG but going PVG-MEL via sydney is just annoying..................

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2007 4:23 pm

QF seem to do all new routes from SYD and then add any additional capacity opportunities from other cities. This is not unlike LH with its dual hub strategy. Atleast MEL gets some services unlike Air London (BA) and its London focus only.

Theres a slight positive I guess. More confidence in other markets though would be great if they would do so.

Lets see what Virgin have in store for cities outside of SYD.

Regards,

IndianicWorld

melpax

Tue May 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 32):
Does anone think that the latrobe valley airport has a chance of gaining more services (eg DJ) or Tiger? I see in the future an airport at Bairnsdale/Lakes Enterance/Paynesville as I think that that area could become thwe next Gold Coast. Alot cooler I agree but its a great area. Does anyone think that this could become a reality?

Not such a silly idea - there's a reasonable population in the Gippsland/Latrobe Valley areas, with some decent sized centres (Sale, Bairsdale, Taralgon, Morwell & Moe(yes, I know, moccie wearers)) Not only would it be good for tourisim for the area, you'd also have a good population base to support services. Not to mention people from the outer SE of Melbourne (Berwick, NarreW, Pak, Cranny) could be enticed to fly out of there instead of Tulla or AVV if the fares were priced right. Another Avalon, if you will. Also add Phillip Island to the mix, and it could be a winner.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2007 10:55 pm

Could Phillip Island sustain services maybe also with extention/construction of airport facilities?

Theres a few ideas for new services although where the routes could work is another story

melpax

Tue May 29, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 38):
Could Phillip Island sustain services maybe also with extention/construction of airport facilities

May be possible, but whether an expanded airport will be allowed on the Island given enviromental grounds is another matter. Maybe an expansion of the regional airport at Taralgon?

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Tue May 29, 2007 11:40 pm

Is Latrobe valley airport a good location for Phillip Island pax though? abit out of the way. It will have a population of over 100,000 to draw from though in that vacinity which could make latrobe work. Maybe BNE and SYD flights? What flights are there at this point in time to Latrobe? Rex?

6thfreedom

Wed May 30, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting 6thfreedom (Reply 25):
Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 22):

Airside is not a worry.
Masterplan shows freight moving down further round towards maintenance hangars, with the terminal expanding down over Terminal 4 (now Tiger) and all the freight area.

T3 (currently DJ) can get a second level if required for expanded international ops, and there is also the option of significantly expanding the diamond at the end of international to add another 6-8 gates.

So airside is OK, although I hear you about the elevated road for departures. It is a mess, and needs to be expanded asap.

Our discussion was timely.
Just announced:..
www.melbourneairport.com.au/about_airport/media_releases.asp

AIRPORT FORECOURT SET FOR REVIEW

The operational layout of Melbourne Airport’s forecourt – the area in front of the terminals – is set to be
reviewed over the coming months.

The two-lane thoroughfares at the front of the Melbourne Airport terminals see hundreds of heavy vehicles
including buses, taxis, limousines and trucks joining the thousands of pedestrians and private cars that use
this area each day. The review will also include the elevated roadway that serves the departure levels of the
three terminals’ increasing demands.

The review is being undertaken as a direct response to the significant congestion that currently exists in this
area. Over 3100 vehicles on average per hour currently travel through the forecourt area at peak periods.
The intersection the main entry point to the terminal area sees the equivalent of more than half of the vehicle
traffic that passes through the Richmond intersection of Swan Street and Punt Road each day.
To be carried out in consultation with key forecourt users such as bus companies, taxi and limousine
operators and traffic management experts, the review will look at the current operational structure of the
forecourt, with a view to ensuring the area is sustainable well into the future.

Melbourne Airport CEO Chris Barlow said the review was vital to guaranteeing the long-term workable
efficiency of a major piece of Victoria’s transport infrastructure.

“With the recent decision by Tiger Airways to set up its base at Melbourne Airport, along with strong growth
from existing airlines, we expect passenger numbers will grow rapidly beyond the 22 million passengers who
currently pass through Melbourne Airport each year. A workable future for the airport forecourt is critical to
ensuring these passengers and other airport visitors can enter and exit the airport as safely and efficiently
as possible,” said Mr Barlow.

Mr Barlow also said that Melbourne Airport has a proven history of success with key public infrastructure
development projects, and it remained acutely aware of the needs of its stakeholders.
“We have a strong track record of successful developments of high-use public infrastructure. Our runway
widening project, for example, not only made vital changes to this state’s busiest runway without a single
delay, it also went on to be recognized as Australia’s best construction project in 2006,” said Mr Barlow.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks for that information 6thfreedom.

Was very timely indeed.

Its amazing the traffic that it does handle.

Will there be changes to the area in front of Terminal 4 to, as that is a taxi waiting area currently from memory?

Regards,

Indianic World

6thfreedom

Wed May 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 42):
Will there be changes to the area in front of Terminal 4 to, as that is a taxi waiting area currently from memory?

There are 2 seperate lanes.

Inside lane will be for T4 drop off/pick up. The inner road is the one used by taxis.
A little bit of a cross over, but this won't be a major issue.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Wed May 30, 2007 10:17 pm

Cool. Thanks

How many aircraft spaces are there at T4? is there 3 spots?

Should be interesting to see how this goes.

Does anyone know the current capacity of the International Terminal? It appears that it runs at capacity alot of the time. Will some sort of terminal slot system be required before any terminal growth occurs?

VHVXB

Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 am

Fee deal aims to lure airlines to Melbourne

MELBOURNE Airport is trying to wrest passengers from other cities by signing a five-year deal with airlines that will maintain its position as the country's cheapest arrival point.

Under the deal, struck with the 22 international airlines that fly directly to Melbourne Airport, carriers will be charged a flat $12.50 for each passenger arriving in Melbourne.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...urne/2007/05/30/1180205336897.html

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2007 11:59 am

I wonder if this will be enough of an incentive. The charges have been cheaper than other airports for a while now and yet this has not yet stimulated traffic growth by a large amount. Lets hope the next 12 months are a success.

VHVXB

Thu May 31, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 46):
Lets hope the next 12 months are a success.

oh without a doubt especially when Tiger gets on board things will certainly start moving.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2007 11:16 pm

Has anyone have any knowledge of Tigers growth plans over next 1 year after start..... not seen any details and not sure if they have been communicated but if anyone has heard anything that would be great.

now DJ look also to want to start a low cost carrier.. but past information stated that was to be focused on AVV as their melbourne destination airport.

IndianicWorld
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Gone all quiet here... Smile

What ideas to people have for the big forecourt fix? because of space issues it could be hard to re-organise but any ideas would be good

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos