Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jrlander
Topic Author

NWA Improvements?

Tue May 22, 2007 2:21 am

Maybe a month or two ago- there was some talk of NWA improving its inflight services. Has there been any more recent news?

DIJKKIJK

RE: NWA Improvements?

Tue May 22, 2007 2:30 am

I travelled on NWA's AMS-MEM-AMS flight on the A330 in january and it was absolutely fantastic! Friendly crew, very clean aircraft with good legroom and seat pitch , good meals , free alcoholic drinks in economy, and a really cool AVOD IFE.

NWA is bloody good these days, at least on their transatlantic A330 flights.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

jrlander
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2007 2:34 am

I think that's the problem-

My 757-200 from SEA-DTW last week was dirty, and the crew was fairly rude, and there was, of course, no IFE. The 757-300 from DTW-MSP was somewhat clean, but the seat covers were coming off the cushions.

DIJKKIJK

Tue May 22, 2007 2:39 am

There seems to be a big difference between their domestic and international operations then.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue May 22, 2007 3:02 am

NW's international in-flight offering is very much on par, if not exceeds in some areas, its competition.

Arguably, NW offers the best coach Trans-Atlantic product of any of the US legacies, and its World Business Class (WBC) is better than average across the Atlantic & Pacific. There is no true First class TATL or TPAC service, only WBC which is somewhat of a hybrid between traditional J and traditional F.

Domestic coach, in-flight service is arguably lean, but then again, its on par in many ways with most of its competition. No IFE, no meals. But then again the only difference between a NW A320 / NW DC-9 flight and an AA MD-80 or a DL MD-80 is a granola bar.

New in-flight amenities will be introduced with new fleet types, not necessarily retrofitted on to existing aircraft. Expect enhancements with the new CRJ-900's, EMB-175's, and 787's coming on-line in the next 1-15 months.

NW has taken the approach that they don't need to offer in-flight ammenities such as meals & IFE on its domesitic fleets since they feel that the passenger is able to bring such items onboard should they want them. Nowdays so many people have their own I-Pods, Laptops, DVD players, and obviously their own newspapers, books, and magazines that it is not cost effective to show re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond on domestic routes. Same goes for food since there are ample opportunities to buy stuff in the terminal.

NW instead makes up for this with its well-run, well-maintained, and world-class hubs (DTW & MSP), its website, the use of technology for check-in/reservations/re-bookings, its generous upgrade policy for FF's, and running a reliable on-time airline.

Flyingtheflag

Tue May 22, 2007 4:42 am

I flew with Northwest from Amsterdam to Mumbai in April. Have to say it was much better than I expected. Nice new plane, good legroom / IFE and the cabin crew were amazing. They were helpful and funny (!!!) but one of them did let slip that the catering has slipped a bit. I would definitely fly with them again! Kind of wish I'd booked with them instead of UA for my trip to SFO in August... Sad

floridaflyboy

Tue May 22, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 1):

Quoting Jrlander (Reply 2):
My 757-200 from SEA-DTW last week was dirty, and the crew was fairly rude, and there was, of course, no IFE.

There is an astronomical difference between NW's domestic experience and their international experience. Internationally, they are the best around. Domestically, they have some work to do.

Quoting DTW.SCE" class=quote target=_blank>PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 4):
But then again the only difference between a NW A320 / NW DC-9 flight and an AA MD-80 or a DL MD-80 is a granola bar.

As far as short-haul domestic product, all the legacies are pretty much on par with one another. However, the problem comes in on the longer haul flights. While I may take NW from BIL-MSP, there's no way I'd take them from BIL all the way to Florida. I like to compare 757 service, as it is the only aircraft operated by all six legacies. By that measure, NW's service is absolutely awful. From my personal experience, NW and AA are the worst to fly with on long domestic flights, while DL and CO are the best.
Good goes around!

jetjack74

Tue May 22, 2007 4:57 am

Well, there are a number things that sets one side of our service apart from the other. Alot of it has to do with dollars and sense. We're just getting back into profitability and will take some time to revamp our domestic service product. Don't forget, we're still under the bankruptcy protection and our money is still not our own yet. The company is still waiting to see where they stand with the flight attendants on our Tentative Agreement(I voted yes, BTW). We're already pissed for Doug's compensation package, and annoucing a spending spree on service enhancements might provoke a NO vote on the TA. Once we ratify/turn down the TA, expect NWA to announce new improvements to our domestic service and new aircraft orders. I think the company maybe holding back annoucements until after the exit from bankruptcy to allow some time for deals to be ironed out. But expect more 787 orders, cabin enhancements to the 757/Airbus fleet(757-5500's are badly in need of a cabin makeover. New seats are needed as we're still using 25-year old seat frames) and quite possibly new coach cabin amenities to the 747 fleet such as meal choices(warm dinner rolls), in-flight entertainment features. The A333's being introduced to the Pacific will allow us to take some 744's out of service to update the coach cabins to A330 standards. I see the galleys getting the more efficient A330 style convection ovens and the steam heat ovens in WBC. I see domestic meals coming back as well to bring us in line with CO and DL. I fully expect some these to happen between now and the end of the year. The fleet will be getting an interior makover with the exception of the DC9 fleet.

[Edited 2007-05-21 22:06:44]
Made from jets!

PlaneHunter

Tue May 22, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting DIJKKIJK (Reply 1):
I travelled on NWA's AMS-MEM-AMS flight on the A330 in january and it was absolutely fantastic! Friendly crew, very clean aircraft with good legroom and seat pitch , good meals , free alcoholic drinks in economy, and a really cool AVOD IFE.

I flew the A332 on the same route in March and I can mostly agree - BUT the IFE box under my window seat was awful. It extends all across the seat's width which means one can't even stretch out one leg. I have never seen such a poor solution on another carrier. The meals and snacks aren't a culinary delight either, and the portions are rather small.

Trip report can be found here: MUC-AMS-MEM-ATL On NWA A332 And 40-year-old DC-9 (by PlaneHunter May 21 2007 in Trip Reports)

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 4):
NW's international in-flight offering is very much on par, if not exceeds in some areas, its competition.

Arguably, NW offers the best coach Trans-Atlantic product of any of the US legacies

I can't agree - AA offered both more legroom (different IFE-box) and better meals.

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

mspguy

Tue May 22, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 7):

I hope you're right, would be nice to have of these things back.
If it ain't broke, DON'T touch it!!!!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue May 22, 2007 5:28 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
I can't agree - AA offered both more legroom (different IFE-box) and better meals.

Well AA & NW do have different IFE systems, NW has the AVOD system which is much more sophisticated than AA's 777 IFE. Yes, AA offers more Trans-Atlantics than NW, but the 763's don't have PTVs is coach.

As for meals, that will vary by what each persons likes. Keep in mind the logisical difficulties storing and preparing meals for 200-250+ people at 37,000 ft on an 8 hr flight. Like the weather, airline food is at the top of the list for things people like to complain about. NW also offers free booze in coach too.

I've flown AA 777, AA 763, NW DC-10, and NW A330-300 across the Atlantic. I will say that the NW A333 & AA 777 are a pretty much a tie, but the NW A333 is significantly better than the AA 763.

PlaneHunter

Tue May 22, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 10):

Of course NWA's AVOD beats AA's non-AVOD (B777) and non-PTV programming (B763), but flying ten hours with an IFE box which prevents streching out a single leg is a torture.

The meals I got on AA were amazing, e.g. a very tasty beef steak which is still among the best Eco class food I've ever got (even beating most of EK's and SQ's offerings). Portions on NWA are rather small in comparison and the quality was below average. Logistics shouldn't be a problem in these days.

PH

burnsie28

Tue May 22, 2007 7:22 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 11):
Portions on NWA are rather small in comparison and the quality was below average

Coach meals were small. WBC is amazing, but if you think NW's meals were bad when I flew DL to FRA in 2002 they offered a turkey sanwhich on a dinner sized roll, cup of water and carrots for dinner and that was it.

centrair

Tue May 22, 2007 9:21 am

I just hope that the menus can change for NGO-DTW. For the past 7 years I have had the same choices. I mean...NO VARIETY here. Stuff sits in your stomach for days. I eat it as I paid for it (wife likes to get on me about that) but it could be a heck of a lot better.

I would love to see new Y seats on 744s. Maybe something like CX's. I would think that the 744s will get an A330 treatment or a 787 treatment. Or would NW be talking to Boeing for some 787-9s? 773ERs?

I heard that they were even looking at a slight change to WBC to go with the 787s. True? The current seats were introduced in the last 5 years right?
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

floridaflyboy

Tue May 22, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 12):
when I flew DL to FRA in 2002 they offered a turkey sanwhich on a dinner sized roll, cup of water and carrots for dinner and that was it.

Yeah, 2002/2003 were bad years for DL meal-wise. I remember thinking that in both of those years, their meal service was atrocious. I remember boarding a flight from CVG-FCO in 2003, and they had us pick up our dinner (a sandwich and bottle of water) from a cart in the jetway. I thought that was the ultimate insult with as much as we were paying for our tickets. However, since then, Delta's product both domestically and internationally has improved astronomically.
Good goes around!

therock401

Tue May 22, 2007 10:22 am

Strangely enough, NW's A319s and A320s have more seat pitch in economy than their 753s do. On a recent round trip MSP-LAX-MSP on an A320, I was able to sit comfortably in their economy seat. However, on a 753 going MSP-SEA-MSP, I was shoehorned in. I'd say that there's a full inch less pitch in a 757 than an A319. Keep in mind I'm 6'4", so I am very sensitive to seat pitch differences.

jetjack74

Tue May 22, 2007 10:30 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 13):
I just hope that the menus can change for NGO-DTW. For the past 7 years I have had the same choices.

Well, it's hard to change to something else when the majority of passengers prefer what you serve. You can't get away from rice and meat. It's just what they eat. In WBC, we routinely add more meal choices and entree selections and get very good feedback from our frequent fliers. We dumped the pasta/ravioli from the menu, thankfully becuase it was kind of a pain to sequence that 4th dish, having to strategically put cumbersome special dishes to accomodate the pasta. But I digress, it's gone now. We have a better champagne supper selection on Transatlantic that debuted on the late evening DTW-FRA. We've spent alot of money on revampimg our WBC, and we'll be spending more money on coach next

I would love to see new Y seats on 744s.

I think they'llbe getting the same grey carpeting found in WBC on the 744's. New vinyl floors in the galley areas.

I would think that the 744s will get an A330 treatment or a 787 treatment. Or would NW be talking to Boeing for some 787-9s? 773ERs?

I think we coud see some 783 aircraft ordered to replace or augment the 757 fleet. NWA's plan is build the core/international fleet around the 787 fleet-type. A 744 captain I commmuted with says he's been hearing NWA could order all series of the 787 as they all could serve the carrier very well. The operating costs is what the company looking heavily at. The 787 was the death nail to the A330 in the fleet, As the 787 numbers go up, the A330's will gradually decrease unless we retain them for domestic trunk routes like US Mainland-Hawaii markets.
Made from jets!

centrair

Tue May 22, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 16):
The 787 was the death nail to the A330 in the fleet,

You have been saying this for a while. Didn't believe it as we are talking about NWA - the keeper of planes for ages. But as I looked through NW's fleet usage and rotation plus their options, it makes more sense to have all 787s and ditch the A330s (they own them...they can sell them right?)

So just for kicks...
Domestic/international (canada/Mexico) - short haul
CRJ200
CRJ900
E170s
E190s (just a feeling)
A319
A320

Domestic/International - Medium haul
787-3 (not 100% sure if this would happen seems funny to me to think of NW having wide bodies on domestic again)

International - Long Haul
787-8 (for focus-point, Point-point, Hub-point & frequency)
787-9 (hub-point, hub-hub addional capacity)
787-10 (Hub-AMS/NRT, hub-major destination)
744 (HUB-higher capacity destination & NRT)

Could we see the 744 replaced by 773ER or 748i?
Opinion: 773ER would be nice. 748i...can't get my head around it for NW pax...only cargo.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

Jano

Tue May 22, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 16):
As the 787 numbers go up, the A330's will gradually decrease unless we retain them for domestic trunk routes like US Mainland-Hawaii markets.

Well, by the time those B787 can come in larger numbers, if NW can afford to convert those 50 options they have, it will be 2013 at the earliest. That means that the oldest A333 will be 10 years old and the youngest will be 6 years old.

I'm thinking NW will have 32 A330s by the end of this year. So out of those 50 B787 options 32 would be replacements and only 18 for service expansion. That does not seem like a lot. It's like 9 TPAC routes only or a few less TPAC routes plus some DTW-India or Russia or maybe Dubai or Kuwait or South America.

So I'm thinking unless NWA orders more B787 besides 18+50 they have then NWA will keep all of their A330s past 2013.
The Widget Air Line :)

jetjack74

Tue May 22, 2007 11:27 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 17):
You have been saying this for a while. Didn't believe it as we are talking about NWA - the keeper of planes for ages. But as I looked through NW's fleet usage and rotation plus their options, it makes more sense to have all 787s and ditch the A330s (they own them...they can sell them right?)

I do believe this. I see the competition to the 787, the A350, as Boeing called the A330 killer, as the beginning of the end. The A330 is a great airplane, but it's limited with it's capability of Pacific flying. I don't see us flying 2 competing fleet types with one being inferior interms of capability. I don't think we own them, we bought them, sold them to a 3rd party, and leased them back. So I think they would be kinda easy to sell or sublease them to someone. I was puzzled why we bought them in the first place, but I think I figured it out when we bought the 787 I don't believe we planned on keeping them for 30-something years like the 727 or the 742. I believe it was a bridge from the DC10 to the 787. We have 18 firm orders and 50 options. With 50 options, I find it hard to believe we'd hold onto the A330 with a large looming presense of 787's in the future. I mean, talk about overkill.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Tue May 22, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting Jano (Reply 18):
So I'm thinking unless NWA orders more B787 besides 18+50 they have then NWA will keep all of their A330s past 2013.

I agree. It won't be an immediate or speedy replacement. I think it will be more of a gradual replacement. But by 2013 however, the writing will be on the wall. I think the A332's will be the first to start leaving and in 5-7 years from then, the A330 will be gone. This could be accelerated by a NW/DL merger, should it happen.
Made from jets!

eyes2thesky

Tue May 22, 2007 12:05 pm

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 8):
BUT the IFE box under my window seat was awful. It extends all across the seat's width which means one can't even stretch out one leg. I have never seen such a poor solution on another carrier.

It does happen w/ other carriers. I had a window seat on a UA 763 ORD-SFO and suffered similar problem. Although in my case it only extended about halfway across the seat width. Made it a little more tolerable.
AA,AL,B6,CO,C5,C8,DA,DL,FI,F9,HP,LH,MQ,NW,OO,TZ,UA,US,WN,XJ,YV,ZW,VX

burnsie28

Wed May 23, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting Eyes2thesky (Reply 21):
Although in my case it only extended about halfway across the seat width.

The A330-300 for NW is the same way, I don't know why the -200 would be any different.

flysherwood

Wed May 23, 2007 1:23 am

NWA service to NRT and beyond from PDX is very good. The planes are clean and new and the service is very friendly and cordial. The food is pretty good by airline standards and the PTV selections are outstanding. The only service that I have noticed has not changed much with NWA is out of SEA to NRT. The F/A's are still as grumpy as ever. I will avoid having to route out of SEA due to shortage of World Business Class seats. Two months ago, I went as far down as L.A. just to avoid SEA.

CaptSkibi

Wed May 23, 2007 1:37 am

I have flown the NW A330 across the Atlantic more than enough times with a window seat in coach almost every time. At first, I had trouble with the IFE box, but I soon found out that I could get both feet under the seat in front of me without any trouble. I don't think that the IFE box covers the whole seat bottom or even half. I don't exactly have small feet either as my shoe size is a wide US 10 (EU 44, UK 9 1/2).

The seat pitch on the A330 is great too, as I can slouch down a little and completely stretch out with my feet touching the front bar under the seat in front of me. I can then usually get my foot closest to the IFE box to the back of the IFE box, leaving plenty of room for my other foot.

I recently flew CO's 777 TLV-EWR and found that in terms of under seat comfort from the window seat, the NW A330 was more comfortable. I enjoy having the seat support prevent me from sharing the underseat space with the person next to me on the A330, whereas on CO's 777, I had room between the seat support & outer cabin wall for the window side foot, but my other foot had to be 8" away on the other side of the seat support & IFE box (with no divider to the seat next to me). This is more of a function of the 777 having 3-3-3 seating, so the supports are on the window side of the window seat and in between seats 2-3.

EDIT:
What service improvement I'd like to see TATL the most is more drink choices in coach during the meal service. The last time I flew across the pond (other than CO TLV-EWR) was NW DTW-AMS in January 2006. They'd first start out with the drink cart, then about 30 minutes later, come by with ONE meal/drink cart. CO, at least, comes by with two carts during the meal service (one for the meal and one for the drinks).

[Edited 2007-05-22 18:42:24]
Private Pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land / former frequent flyer with 9 straight years being elite on NW/DL

PlaneHunter

Wed May 23, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Eyes2thesky (Reply 21):
It does happen w/ other carriers.

All PTV carriers have the box but it's uncommon that it is as wide as the seat.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 22):
The A330-300 for NW is the same way, I don't know why the -200 would be any different.

I flew the A333 as well and I can't remember that it had the same strange seat-wide box as on the A332.

Quoting CaptSkibi (Reply 24):
I have flown the NW A330 across the Atlantic more than enough times with a window seat in coach almost every time. At first, I had trouble with the IFE box, but I soon found out that I could get both feet under the seat in front of me without any trouble. I don't think that the IFE box covers the whole seat bottom or even half. I don't exactly have small feet either as my shoe size is a wide US 10 (EU 44, UK 9 1/2).

It was definitely impossible to stretch out a single leg - unlike on all other PTV carriers I have flown before. The box definitely was as wide as the seat - a ridiculous design, ordered by people who apparently never fly longhaul in Eco class.

PH

bimmerkid19

Wed May 23, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 6):
NW and AA are the worst to fly with on long domestic flights,

Fly CO from EWR-HNL... i think theres IFE and food on that route... plus its either on a 777 or a 767.. Big grin but then again.. the flight is almost 10 hours...
Last flights: LH 3738 MUC - ZRH , LH 3749 ZRH - MUC . Upcoming: EK 50 MUC - DXB 3-aug. and EK 322 DXB - ICN 7- Aug.

floridaflyboy

Wed May 23, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting Bimmerkid19 (Reply 26):
Fly CO from EWR-HNL... i think theres IFE and food on that route... plus its either on a 777 or a 767.. but then again.. the flight is almost 10 hours...

Yeah, CO is definitely one-of-a-kind. I love flying with them and DL because their people are so great, and they provide excellent service on their flights.
Good goes around!

SeaMeFly

Wed May 23, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting CaptSkibi (Reply 24):
What service improvement I'd like to see TATL the most is more drink choices in coach during the meal service. The last time I flew across the pond (other than CO TLV-EWR) was NW DTW-AMS in January 2006. They'd first start out with the drink cart, then about 30 minutes later, come by with ONE meal/drink cart. CO, at least, comes by with two carts during the meal service (one for the meal and one for the drinks).

We used to do that too, 2 carts during meal service. 1 for meal cart and the other one is a full bev. But it got changed as soon as the A330 comes on board to be seamless with KLM.

I know we got lots of complains from customers. However, the service guidelines is to only serve beverage whatever is available on that cart. We should not run for other requests. So basically, if you want rum, whiskey, you're going to have to wait until the FAs finish serving the entire cabin with their meal choices.... And that provided the FA still remembers your special request. Big grin

burnsie28

Wed May 23, 2007 10:42 am

Quoting Bimmerkid19 (Reply 26):
Fly CO from EWR-HNL... i think theres IFE and food on that route... plus its either on a 777 or a 767.. but then again.. the flight is almost 10 hours...

NW sends the A330-300 to HNL from MSP.

floridaflyboy

Wed May 23, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 29):

Yeah, and it's a great airplane to fly on, but I still don't feel like NW's hawaii service even is up to par with a lot of other carriers.
Good goes around!

azjubilee

Wed May 23, 2007 11:32 pm

NWAs Hawaii service is up to par with most of the carriers flying to Hawaii. NWA/UA/AA/TZ/AQ/US all fly narrow body gage a/c to the islands. Of those airlines at least NWA/UA/AA/US all have a buy on board food service in the Y cabin. I flew CO in Y last summer IAH-HNL and the seat was so uncomfortable I was hoping for a CRJ! Then the food service, while free was miniscule. I might as well have just bought my own food and payed for a quantity that would have satisfied me. None of them have PTVs in Y either. The only other US carriers that fly strictly widebodies to the islands are CO and HA. Only CO has PTVs but who cares about those when you butt and legs hurt so bad from sitting in those sagging seats? Y on the NWA 330 loses appeal only because of BOB in my opinion. But when all but 3 or 4 of your competitors offer the same BOB service it's not that big of a deal.

The NWA nonstop flight from MSP-HNL on the 330 is nack and neck with CO for the best preium cabin to the islands. The others cannot even come close to the level of comfort and entertainment. The only place NWA probably lacks a bit is in the food. Though since the launch of the 330 MSP-HNL they have launched an improved meal service which isn't anything like the domestic meal service it used to be and that you find on the 753s. This is basically WBC meal service with 1 less choice and a less elaborate desert service.

In the end, NWA doesn't offer that subpar of a service to the islands. We're talking about a VERY low yield destination which is cheaper sometimes that service within the 48 contiguous states. The airlines have to keep their costs ultra low on this service so that they don't lose their shorts!

floridaflyboy

Thu May 24, 2007 11:14 am

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 31):
NWAs Hawaii service is up to par with most of the carriers flying to Hawaii.

That is not a fact, but rather a matter of opinion. On Delta, I was served a complimentary meal. On NW, I was charged for a dry sandwich. DL had more comfortable seats than NW as well. I also thought that DL's FAs and ground staff were worlds better than that at NW. Therefore, from my perspective, NW is nowhere near on par with the other carriers. I would love to see NW improve, though. I'm not the kind of guy who has a few bad experiences and never flies with a carrier again. If NW decides to improve, I will be more than happy to give them another try.
Good goes around!

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu May 24, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting Azjubilee (Reply 31):
The only other US carriers that fly strictly widebodies to the islands are CO and HA.

DL does not currently nor have they ever operated narrow body aircraft to the Hawaiian Islands. That may change in the future however.

ejmmsu

Thu May 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 32):
That is not a fact, but rather a matter of opinion. On Delta, I was served a complimentary meal. On NW, I was charged for a dry sandwich. DL had more comfortable seats than NW as well. I also thought that DL's FAs and ground staff were worlds better than that at NW. Therefore, from my perspective, NW is nowhere near on par with the other carriers. I would love to see NW improve, though. I'm not the kind of guy who has a few bad experiences and never flies with a carrier again. If NW decides to improve, I will be more than happy to give them another try.

Are you just going to disregard everything else Azjubilee said ? Does DL offer PTV's in coach and international quality buisness class food up front ?

FA's and Ground staff are hit and miss on any airline. It just depends on who you get that day. DL is a good airline with good people, but so is NW. I would rather get the A330 with PTV's and buy my sandwich than get free food and no PTV. Does that make DL vastly inferior? No.. its a matter of preference.

MSP has fewer delays than ATL, and NW has a better overall on time performance and better baggage statistics than DL. Getting there on time with my bag is also important to me.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

SR 103

Thu May 24, 2007 3:02 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 27):
I love flying with them and DL because their people are so great, and they provide excellent service on their flights.

Oh you have to let me know where you experienced that. Within the Skyteam alliance, the rudest employees definately belong to DL in my opinion.

DL had more comfortable seats than NW as well. I also thought that DL's FAs and ground staff were worlds better than that at NW. Therefore, from my perspective, NW is nowhere near on par with the other carriers. I would love to see NW improve, though. I'm not the kind of guy who has a few bad experiences and never flies with a carrier again. If NW decides to improve, I will be more than happy to give them another try.

I could not agree with you more. However in my case, just switch DL and NW around in that paragraph!
 duck 

SR 103

kjet12

Thu May 24, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 29):

They just need to bring food back and their HNL service will be on par with CO, which IMHO is still the gold standard to Hawaii. On my flight to HNL, the crew had stated that the MSP nonstop should likely see the return of proper meals by years end, but as with anything at NW I have to see it to believe it, especially with Steenland at the helm.

On Delta, I was served a complimentary meal. On NW, I was charged for a dry sandwich. DL had more comfortable seats than NW as well. I also thought that DL's FAs and ground staff were worlds better than that at NW. Therefore, from my perspective, NW is nowhere near on par with the other carriers. I would love to see NW improve, though. I'm not the kind of guy who has a few bad experiences and never flies with a carrier again. If NW decides to improve, I will be more than happy to give them another try.

Try CO to HNL, it's a good compromise between NW and DL. I think their seats are more comfortable than both DL and NW, they serve hot meals that are a small step below DL but many times better than NW's BOB sandwhich. CO also has PTVs, but it is not AVOD like NW.

NW has really improved their service system wide over the last few years and has been a much more enjoyable carrier on which to travel.
AA - Doing what we do best.

floridaflyboy

Sat May 26, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting SR 103 (Reply 35):
Oh you have to let me know where you experienced that. Within the Skyteam alliance, the rudest employees definately belong to DL in my opinion.

I've never had a a bad experience with DL, and have never had a good one with NW.

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 34):
Are you just going to disregard everything else Azjubilee said ? Does DL offer PTV's in coach and international quality buisness class food up front ?

I really don't give a sh%^ what NW offers in business class. I choose to pay less and fly coach. So the second part of that doesn't matter. Secondly, I really couldn't care less about PTV's. I do, however, care about the comfort of the seat, friendliness of the employees, and the quality of the service on-board.

FA's and Ground staff are hit and miss on any airline. It just depends on who you get that day.

I understand that, but I go by my experience. As mentioned above, I've never had a good experience with NW, and never a bad one with DL.

MSP has fewer delays than ATL, and NW has a better overall on time performance and better baggage statistics than DL. Getting there on time with my bag is also important to me.

Again, I've had the opposite experience. Only been delayed on DL once in my life. Have been delayed on NW from MSP repeatedly. Plus, I've never had either airline lose my bag, so I don't care too much there. I don't base my travel preferences on someone else's statistics. I couldn't care less what J.D. Power says, or what the DOT says. I base my travel preferences on my experiences with each individual carrier, and nothing else. As I mentioned above, if NW starts improving, I will absolutely try them again. Until then, I will not give them my business.
Good goes around!

SR 103

Sun May 27, 2007 8:22 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 37):
I don't base my travel preferences on someone else's statistics.

I could not agree with you more! Hence why I don't care about most of these awards.

I base my travel preferences on my experiences with each individual carrier, and nothing else.

You are absolutely right, I have flown airlines from all over the world and you would be surprised which ones I prefer to fly.

As I mentioned above, if NW starts improving, I will absolutely try them again. Until then, I will not give them my business.

Once DL starts improving, I shall do the same. Till then I am more than willing to drive to Orlando and catch a NW flight via DTW than pay less and fly DL out of Daytona via ATL. New uniforms, new livery, new leather seats, new PTV's etc... is not enough in my opinion. Friendly staff, better aircraft interiors, better transit hubs, better crown rooms, a better international product could do wonders for the airline.

NW on the other hand has addressed the issues that DL has put on the back burner for now, and in my opinion thats what counts. DL just slapped on some new paint and uniforms and said "look we are different!"

SR 103

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos