Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIA
Topic Author

DIA: 3rd-Busiest In Pax Traffic In U.S. For Wknd.

Wed May 23, 2007 1:42 am

According to an Orbitz report (I do not have a link...sorry folks)...DIA will be the 3rd-busiest airport in the nation this Memorial Day weekend in terms of pax levels. The order of busiest airports is:

1. ORD
2. LAX
3. DEN
4. ATL

From what I know, this is a first for DIA...to reach this level of pax traffic levels.

Just an FYI...
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

EXAAUADL

RE: DIA: 3rd-Busiest In Pax Traffic In U.S. For Wknd.

Wed May 23, 2007 2:07 am

Seems tough to belive that DEN will be busier than ATL or DFW

bond007

Wed May 23, 2007 2:21 am

There is a huge difference in number of flights between DEN and ATL (like 400/day), so I can't see DEN being more pax, even with a different aircraft type mix.

DEN and DFW are closer in numbers, so possible.

edited: here is the link http://pressroom.orbitz.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=244640

Jimbo

[Edited 2007-05-22 19:30:04]
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

ConcordeBoy

Wed May 23, 2007 3:03 am

I could see this if they were talking about domestic-only pax.... but if they're talking about total, then I'd take these numbers with an Everest-sized grain o' salt.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

bond007

Wed May 23, 2007 3:19 am

Quoting ConcordeBoy (Reply 3):
I could see this if they were talking about domestic-only pax.... but if they're talking about total, then I'd take these numbers with an Everest-sized grain o' salt.

"Orbitz examined the advanced ticket sales of Memorial Day weekend 2007 to determine which are the busiest airports in the world for outbound U.S. travelers."

So, connecting pax through ORD/ATL are not included, neither are international pax.

More of a measure of how busy the drive to the airport will be and how long the security lines are.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

airfrnt

Wed May 23, 2007 3:39 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 4):

"Orbitz examined the advanced ticket sales of Memorial Day weekend 2007 to determine which are the busiest airports in the world for outbound U.S. travelers."

So, connecting pax through ORD/ATL are not included, neither are international pax.

I somewhat doubt that, since the ATL market is so much larger then the DEN market, but these numbers are strange any way you look at it. Still great news for DEN one way or another. Given that DEN is the only city in the nation where fares are still going down, I suspect this trend will continue for a bit.

flyorski

RE: DIA: 3rd-Busiest In Pax Traffic In U.S. For Wk

Wed May 23, 2007 3:43 am

Is this for all pax, or pax booked through Orbitz? I doubt that DIA has more than ATL, but if so then good for them.

The fact that southwest has added flights, and Frontier has maintained service as well as more UAL mainline as opposed to express feed could lead to this, but I kind of doubt it.

[Edited 2007-05-22 20:44:28]
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

LAXdude1023

Wed May 23, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting DIA (Thread starter):
According to an Orbitz report (I do not have a link...sorry folks)...DIA will be the 3rd-busiest airport in the nation this Memorial Day weekend in terms of pax levels. The order of busiest airports is:

1. ORD
2. LAX
3. DEN
4. ATL

Sounds like we might be dealing with O&D traffic.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

DIA
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 4:29 am

I do wish I had the details on this goose-chase of story. I learned this info from a neighbor this morning...but I didn't ask for a link...for he was deadheading out to Lousville for work. Again, sorry I don't have much more on this...I'd like to know the details myself. Maybe, as LAXdude mentioned above, it is strickly O&D.

SLCUT2777

Wed May 23, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 7):

When you have a metro-area as large as the Front Range that is as isolated as they are, there will actually be large O&D numbers.
DEN is becoming a VERY competitive airport, with WN and F9 slugging it out with UA.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

airfrnt

Wed May 23, 2007 4:34 am

Quoting DIA (Reply 8):
I do wish I had the details on this goose-chase of story. I learned this info from a neighbor this morning...but I didn't ask for a link...for he was deadheading out to Lousville for work. Again, sorry I don't have much more on this...I'd like to know the details myself. Maybe, as LAXdude mentioned above, it is strickly O&D.

Thinking about it, it almost certainly is O&D only since DL's megahub would kill anything else at both DEN and ORD. Coloradians have a much greater propensity to travel by air (because frankly, you can't get anywhere decent outside of Colorado if you don't fly). What surprises me is that I don't think Orbitz sells WN tickets, so those numbers wouldn't be reflected in these stats.

Plus, it's a shorter flight on average out of DEN to the costs then from say ATL to LAX.

bond007

Wed May 23, 2007 4:41 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 7):

Quoting DIA (Reply 8):

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 10):
Thinking about it, it almost certainly is O&D only since DL's megahub would kill anything else at both DEN and ORD.

Well, from ....

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 2):
here is the link http://pressroom.orbitz.com/ReleaseD...44640

More of a measure of how busy the drive to the airport will be and how long the security lines are.

I'm reading "for outbound U.S. travelers." to mean O&D.

Jimbo

as739x

Wed May 23, 2007 5:30 am

If San Francisco is 6th, then this has to be O/D

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

AADC10

Wed May 23, 2007 7:37 am

The list looks to me like domestic mainline O&D but does not include airlines not listed on Oribtz like WN and B6. Otherwise LAX would be on top and JFK would probably be on the list. Actually DIA and ATL would seem to be ranked too high for O&D but obviously Orbitz did not disclose its methodology.

bond007

Wed May 23, 2007 7:44 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 13):
did not disclose its methodology.

An educated guess would be departures (origin, not connections) based upon those tickets sold by Orbitz ... as it kind of implied in the press release.

I think the main topic of the story was how busy airports will be (for the traveller arriving at the airport), over the holiday weekend.

Jimbo

worldtraveler

Wed May 23, 2007 7:45 am

Orbitz doesn't have access to any carrier's total bookings... and neither does any entity outside of the airline. Given that more and more passengers are booked directly on carrier websites and those bookings don't go through any CRSs or external sources, there is no way Orbitz knows what total bookings are for any carrier.

Orbitz' statement leaves room for that possibility but it certainly doesn't acknowledge that they represent a fairly small portion of total bookings in the US. "Orbitz examined the advanced ticket sales of Memorial Day weekend 2007 to determine which are the busiest airports in the world for outbound U.S. travelers."

worldtraveler

Wed May 23, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 14):
An educated guess would be departures

it is bookings, not flights.

given that there are assertions that UA's yield problems are because they are dumping capacity onto travel websites that typically get less revenue than thru other sources, the theory is plausible. It is not just a coincidence that the top 3 cities according to Orbitz all have a large UA presence.

bond007

Wed May 23, 2007 7:52 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 15):
Orbitz doesn't have access to any carrier's total bookings... and neither does any entity outside of the airline.

Well, no, but I guess we can assume that since it's Orbitz, it's looking at its own ticket sales .... which if it included all airlines, would probably reflect the overall airport stats even if it's a small percentage of the total. Which, as you say, is the best anyone can do anyway. Now, do they include a guesstimate for WN, B6 ??... probably not.

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 16):
it is bookings, not flights.

Sorry, I meant human departures, not aircraft  Smile ...as in departing pax, as opposed to arriving pax or connecting pax.

Jimbo

[Edited 2007-05-23 00:55:54]

airfrnt

Wed May 23, 2007 8:03 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 15):
Orbitz doesn't have access to any carrier's total bookings... and neither does any entity outside of the airline. Given that more and more passengers are booked directly on carrier websites and those bookings don't go through any CRSs or external sources, there is no way Orbitz knows what total bookings are for any carrier.

Statistically it doesn't really matter. They have more then enough data points to more or less predict the overall state of the market (any curve is normal given enough data, and within a certain confidence iterval, you can make predictions on a normalized sub-population of a normalized population). The lack of WN is a bit of a issue, but if anything that would help DEN rather then hurt it.

DIA
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 11:37 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070521/aqm046.html?.v=11

Here is the link to the full story that I didn't have access to before...I knew I wasn't dreaming.

The full national list is:

1. ORD
2. LAX
3. DEN
4. ATL
5. LGA
6. SFO
7. EWR

SLCUT2777

Thu May 24, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 18):
The lack of WN is a bit of a issue, but if anything that would help DEN rather then hurt it.

Considering how well they've done in the DEN market since their re-entry.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos