[email protected]
Topic Author

VivaAerobus To The U.S.?

Wed May 23, 2007 6:03 am

In an article I recently read (dated 2006), Monterrey-based VivaAerobus was planning to fly to various U.S. cities. As yet, it only flies within Mexico. Does anyone have any information regarding its intention to begin flights to the U.S., such as routes, dates, etc? (If anyone has any information regarding any plans of the other Mexican discount airlines to fly to the U.S., please post what you know.)

[Edited 2007-05-22 23:09:03]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

LAXintl

RE: VivaAerobus To The U.S.?

Wed May 23, 2007 6:08 am

Viva Aerobus Aims To Start U.S. Flights In Mid- To Late Summer
02/05/2007

New Mexican low-cost carrier Viva Aerobus has started the process to gain FAA's approval to launch flights to the U.S., in hopes of starting the service in July or August.

The carrier, formed and owned by Mexican bus company IAMSA and the Ryan family, launched flights in November 2006 with two Boeing 737-300s, formerly part of US Airways' fleet.

Carrier CEO and former EasyJet Chief Operating Officer Mike Szucs told The DAILY at the recent Raymond James Growth Airline conference in New York that Viva Aerobus's obvious service targets are in the border states of Texas and California. Initially, the carrier mostly likely will fly a handful of U.S. routes, Szucs said.

subscription required;
http://www.aviationweek.com/search/A...uery=%2B%28viva%2BAND%2Baerobus%29
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2007 6:09 am

Thanks.

Any idea about likely routes?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

juventus

Wed May 23, 2007 11:48 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 2):

I'm curious about that myself. I would guess Monterrey to Ontario will be the first one since the Los Angeles area usually gets priority. MX just pulled out of DFW, so they could go for MTY-DFW and see how it performs.

KLM685

Wed May 23, 2007 11:55 am

Wow Viva is really getting things heated up down here as no other independent LCC in Mexico has ventured into the US. I'm not how sure this will work out as Viva is a relatively recent airline and they haven't established a very very solid market in order to sustain any losses in which they might incurr operating to the US.

Well I would guess they will start with the southen states like Texas, California and maybe even Florida. But who knows!
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

ghost77

Thu May 24, 2007 12:59 am

Consider every popular city for Mexican carriers, all routes will originate on MTY with the range of the B737-300 and flying less than 4 hours., there's where Viva will be landing. Its been said about LAX, LAS, SAN, DFW, ATL, MIA, IAH, PHX....
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

ucunnn2

Fri May 25, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
MX just pulled out of DFW, so they could go for MTY-DFW and see how it performs.

MX just came back to DFW months ago... I just checked the flights an still have 2 daily in august and september...

ghost77

Fri May 25, 2007 4:09 am

Right, MX hasn't pulled out from DFW and in fact, they're doing pretty good along AA!!

[email protected]
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2007 4:13 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 5):
Its been said about LAX, LAS, SAN, DFW, ATL, MIA, IAH, PHX....

Cool. All obvious, of course, but great nonetheless. But are they all big on O&D, considering Viva doesn't offer connections? Even ATL, the King of Connections? No doubt SAT's also on the wish list.

ghost77

Fri May 25, 2007 4:27 am

Oh forgot SAT, add that city too... Viva's models is a little weird, they most probably won't schedule flights in order to make connections, if its good for you and you can connect, good for you... if you can't sorry... but Viva will be very popular among mexicans going to the US as US residents and citizens taking Viva to Mexico because of their cheap fares aka WN. Have you checked their site Pearson? You will lean backwards with the fares that are real cheap and attractive... Viva is having a huge success.... their loads are on the 75-100s EVERYDAY., they moved over 250,000 pax with only 3 single B737-300s in the first 3 months of the year....

[email protected]
Topic Author

Fri May 25, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting Ghost77 (Reply 9):
Viva's models is a little weird,

Maybe weird to Mexicans, but very much the norm in Europe with discount airlines.

Viva will be very popular among mexicans going to the US as US residents and citizens taking Viva to Mexico because of their cheap fares

Yep.

How come there's so few flights from AUS to Mexico? Is it literally a case of insufficient demand?

Have you checked their site Pearson?

Many times.

Viva's fares generally seem much more reasonable than, say, Click's, Volaris' and Interjet's.

My girlfriend and I will be in Mexico in Nov/Dec, before continuing down to PTY and then flying home. Trying to put together a wee flying trip for me in a day or two while in Mexico. If I can get very cheap fares from, say, MTY to the US, I might have to do that. But we'll see.

She used to live in MLM, so wants to revisit there. I can get pretty good fares for MLM-MTY-GDL-TLC, but I'm not yet sure.

Plenty of time.

EddieDude

Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 am

Oh forgot SAT, add that city too... Viva's models is a little weird, they most probably won't schedule flights in order to make connections

Ghost, how much does it cost to fly MTY-SAT-MTY with 5D (ERJ-145s for those who wonder) on a regular weekend (say, Friday departure and Sunday return)?

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 10):
How come there's so few flights from AUS to Mexico? Is it literally a case of insufficient demand?

I think so. I mean, there is much more demand from IAH, DFW and SAT in that order than from AUS. Austin has a lot of Mexican students and a reasonable number of businesses with connections to Mexico, but probably not enough to sustain daily mainline flights with good profits (AM will be able to tell you that). The schedule of the immigration officers in AUS does not help either.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

rojo

Fri May 25, 2007 7:05 am

There is no lack of demand between MEX and AUS, there is lack of demand at the price airlines want for a seat in those flights. It has to do with price elasticity and the following idea that most Mexicans have of flying: "flying is quite expensive in Mexico". Additionally, lots of people do not have internet access, so they buy their tickets at the airports and end up paying a lot more. VivaAerobus has the same business plan as Ryanair and people are starting to realize that they can finally fly cheap, since our full frills airlines like to start routes and charge very high fares. This is why VivaAerobus has very high load factors, and I wouldn't be surprised that they turn a profit, since they know their CASK very good and have been pricing accordingly!!! After all, Viva's CEO was the former VP of Operations at EasyJet.

JRDC930

Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 am

Good For Viva, i hope they have ONT as a possible destination, AM has a virtual monopoly there, and if they can offer better fares i know they will make tons of money there. I find it odd that Viva has been so successful in such a short time! I'm glad though. Too bad Avolar, one of the first LCCs in Mexico is stagnating, it would be great to see more Mexican LCCs expanding to the U.S. I Really hope ONT is on the list, though i doubt it.

my two cents.  Smile
U.S. Legacy carriers,STILL leaders in lowering industry standards...

srbmod

Fri May 25, 2007 9:15 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 8):
Even ATL, the King of Connections?

The state of Georgia has one of the fastest growing Mexican immigrant populations in the US. Currently, the only airline that serves Mexico out of ATL with scheduled service is DL (And DL Connection) since SkyTeam partner AM dropped service their flights to MEX and CUN.

stirling

Fri May 25, 2007 9:35 am

Viva's models is a little weird, they most probably won't schedule flights in order to make connections, if its good for you and you can connect, good for you... if you can't sorry

If my wife's extended family is any indication, the Mexican people I know, dislike connections, even stops.
They would rather fly to GDL, and drive to MLM or UPN, than connect, or make an enroute stop.
That at least is for the older generation....some of my younger nieces and nephews are more savvy, and are willing to connect to save money.
When I go along, we'll change in NRT if need be, but that also means I am the chaperone for my extended family of 10-20! My Mexicans travel not in packs, but in hordes! I don't mind tho'.

I'd say proximity:

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 11):
I think so. I mean, there is much more demand from IAH, DFW and SAT in that order than from AUS

My good friend lives in SAT, and his wife is from MTY...he's an airline employee, and has the hardest time non-revving down to MTY....to me that is one of those small little indicators of how well a route is doing. The aircraft used SAT-MTY doesn't help tho.

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
I would guess Monterrey to Ontario will be the first one since the Los Angeles area usually gets priority.

That has always been a tough one. My brother-in-law is from Monterey, and getting a flight from Northern California has always been A) Expensive and B) A time-consuming pain.
Most of the time he has gone AA via DFW, but hates it. And it is not cheap, between $600-$700.

HP operated the PHX-MTY with CRJs, which I thought would work out well, but didn't they discontinue those?

In addition, most of the immigrant population around MTY is in the Central U.S., not California, which is primarily Jalisco and Michochan.

But Monterrey being the business hub it is, I would think there would be some demand for flights to LAX....There are some very, very large global businesses headquartered in MTY. And maybe it is me, but it seems to be the most Americanized of all the major Mexican cities, (Which may or may not be a good thing....) maybe even more so than MEX....at least it is cleaner than the capital district.

My opinions.
Delete this User

pzurita1

Fri May 25, 2007 12:17 pm

News about VivaAerobus plans to US (from relevant executives of the airline).

They still do not know where and how.
What they do really now is that they have two options:
Fly to a single US destination connected with a large number of Mexican cities or,
Fly to five or six US destinations from a city in central Mexico (and some flights also to MTY).

Quoting Rojo (Reply 12):
Additionally, lots of people do not have internet access, so they buy their tickets at the airports and end up paying a lot more. VivaAerobus has the same business plan as Ryanair and people are starting to realize that they can finally fly cheap

Exactly, in the case of VIV, 88% of their sales are via web.

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

dacman

Fri May 25, 2007 11:50 pm

Would definately welcome them here in Los Angeles.

Michael
(Dacman)
LAX / LGB Local
"Airliner Photography is not a crime"

juventus

Sat May 26, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 16):
Fly to a single US destination connected with a large number of Mexican cities

I don't see how this could work. Are they trying to copy the MaxJet model (route-wise)?

I like the other option better, flying to 5 or 6 US cities from a large city in Mexico. TLC, GDL and MTY are some options.

pzurita1

Sat May 26, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 18):
I like the other option better, flying to 5 or 6 US cities from a large city in Mexico. TLC, GDL and MTY are some options.

Nor TLC nor GDL are considered. They will choose another OMA airport (GDL is G.A.P.). Maybe BJX... Who manages MLM?

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

juventus

Sat May 26, 2007 4:10 am

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 19):
Nor TLC nor GDL are considered. They will choose another OMA airport (GDL is G.A.P.). Maybe BJX... Who manages MLM?

Morelia is also G.A.P ( I think). The problem with BJX will be the amount of O&D traffic. I think they would need more than BJX is able to provide.

rojo

Sat May 26, 2007 4:57 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 18):
I don't see how this could work. Are they trying to copy the MaxJet model (route-wise)?

No, they are not even close to the MaxJet model. They are trying to copy the Ryanair model. They want to open one station in the US with many flights that will cover costs for ground staff, customer service agents, etc. and fly to mexican destinations like Monterrey, Culiacan, Cancun, etc, where they already have some flights. Economies of scale is their main strategy, since they want to turn a profit with low fares that would create demand. Once they make a station profitable, they will open a second one with the same strategy...

juventus

Sat May 26, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Rojo (Reply 21):
No, they are not even close to the MaxJet model. They are trying to copy the Ryanair model. They want to open one station in the US with many flights that will cover costs for ground staff, customer service agents, etc. and fly to mexican destinations like Monterrey, Culiacan, Cancun, etc, where they already have some flights. Economies of scale is their main strategy, since they want to turn a profit with low fares that would create demand. Once they make a station profitable, they will open a second one with the same strategy...

I was being sarcastic about the Maxjet model, that would not work for them. sorry for the confusion

As far as they opening one station to create demand and get the word around; well its not a bad idea. I rather see them flying to several US cities from MTY or some place else. But whatever they do, let's hope it works.

cheers

skyone

Sat May 26, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 22):
I was being sarcastic about the Maxjet model, that would not work for them. sorry for the confusion

Thank god that was sarcastic, jejeje. Actually, as Rojo says, Viva knows what it is doing. The inteligent part is working with a model that has proven to be succesfull for Ryanair and Easyjet (if Europeans are price sensitive with higher average salaries, then Mexicans will be a lot more). The stations need to be profitable first and that is what MTY is now, their profitable station. I really envy the people from MTY, as I have to fight for the $250 pesos tickets from Volaris (Got plenty 3 days ago, jejeje) and I am now mad that Interjet added a $280 pesos fuel surcharge (people are not stupid and will punish as demand will drop on final price increase from them) and hope Volaris and Avolar do not match this surcharge. But well, the time I saw Viva at CJS, they went out full and my Interjet flight didn´t. When I approached the station manager, he told me he usually closes the flight with 90-100% Load Factors and although that was a sunday flight, I really believe they go at least 75% full, which is great for them. That being said, a SAT or AUS flight will work because of what Rojo said, and that is price elasticity and demand estimulation.

BA0242

Sat May 26, 2007 10:24 pm

their loads are on the 75-100s EVERYDAY., they moved over 250,000 pax with only 3 single B737-300s in the first 3 months of the year....

Hi guys,

Do you know how are they doing on the MTY-MID-MTY service? Aviacsa tried this route back in the 90's with Fokker 100s and it didn't work out at all. It is a very interesting route though, since it is the only flight that connects the Yucatan peninsula main business city and the second most important business urban aerea in the country. I checked out their fares and they offer a round trip starting about 1.500,00 pesos round trip taxes included, that's amazing!

Nevertheless, even if MID is the region's most important city (about 1.000.000 hab) it seems to be a complicated destination for domestic routes, of course except for MEX and other cities in the southeast like VSA, CUN, VER or TGZ.
Click also tried GDL-MID-GDL and apparently it didnt work out very well (correct me if wrong).

Thanks for any info related to Vivaaerobus' performing on the Merida run.

Saludos.
Víctor.

[Edited 2007-05-26 15:26:44]
Favourite visitors at MEX: British Airways B747-400 and Japan Airlines B747-400.

ghost77

Sun May 27, 2007 3:16 am

Maybe weird to Mexicans, but very much the norm in Europe with discount airlines.

Weird in a way they don't allow connections, which they should, the market isn't as big as Europe! Thats what i meant. Because, it sure is very normal to see it in Europe with Ryanair and EasyJet, or WN in the north which i've flown once and i was impressed for the price and good service. But Viva is having a strong success and they will sure keep this way.

Quoting Rojo (Reply 12):
There is no lack of demand between MEX and AUS, there is lack of demand at the price airlines want for a seat in those flights.

That's it!! AM still thinks they're in the 90s early 00s!!! MFE is another city from TLC or MEX that could work... Volaris will hit the nail earlier if someone don't get there first.

Many times. Viva's fares generally seem much more reasonable than, say, Click's, Volaris' and Interjet's.

Good!! Sure nothing compares to Viva and Avolar which are the only true LCC models. Click, Volaris, Interjet, Alma and others are more like a low fare... and from those.. Interjet is very lost... they've reduced iin a 50% frequencies recently to all their stations and more over, are charging a lot more than other carriers... who knows what will be of them....

Its time for mergers... Interjet should merge with MX.. transfer all A320s to mainline MX and MX could transfer several A319 to Interjet out from TLC, disappear either Click or Interjet and fought LCC from TLC and MEX... could CFC allowed this???

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 11):
Ghost, how much does it cost to fly MTY-SAT-MTY with 5D (ERJ-145s for those who wonder) on a regular weekend (say, Friday departure and Sunday return)?

I just checked... cheapest 350 usd r/t...!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos