Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

EU Commission: Serious Security Concerns Over MUC

Sat May 26, 2007 2:32 am

According to German news magazine "FOCUS" the EU commission has raised serious concerns over security at Munich Airport in a letter to the German ministry of transport. Sources only in German:

http://www.focus.de/magazin/kurzfassungen/focus-_aid_57322.html
http://www.focus.de/reisen/fliegen/flughafen-muenchen_aid_57342.html

Short translation:

Allegedly inspectors had been able in eight different cases to pass three airlines' employee security checkpoints with handguns, explosives and knives (Lufthansa, dba, LTU). Lufthansa and dba (now operating under the Air Berlin brand) confirmed the report and both announced that they had immediately cancelled the contract with the affected private security companies.
The EU commission blames the fierce competition among security companies which tend to employ badly trained staff in order to offer dumping prices. The Luftfahrtbundesamt (national aviation authority), developing and maintaining aviation safety standards, gets blamed for a lack of sufficient staff (15 inspectors for 36 airports and more than 300 airlines).

As a consequence the EU commission threatens to downgrade MUC to an "unclean" status and has set a deadline which expires June 8. "Unclean" means aircraft would have to park at remote positions at EU airports and passengers would have to pass security before connecting to another flight.

At the same time, the EU commission inspectors have praised the airport and the State of Bavaria for employing a large number of well skilled staff for passenger security controls.

PH

[Edited 2007-05-25 19:40:37]
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

OHLHD

RE: EU Commission: Serious Security Concerns At Munich

Sat May 26, 2007 2:40 am

I myself "smuggled" a Swiss Army Knife through security at MUC once and the last time ( mid April) they did not even check if my liquids were in a plastic bag. I went on LH to GRU.

Quoting PlaneHunter (Thread starter):

Good to read more and more of your posts again!

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

RE: EU Commission: Serious Security Concerns Over

Sat May 26, 2007 3:24 am

Short addition:
LTU also announced that it would terminate the contact with its security company. Interestingly, a Lufthansa spokesman said the airline would switch by June 1, adding: "We have decided to go that way independent of the EU controls."

PH

airbazar

RE: EU Commission: Serious Security Concerns Over MUC

Sat May 26, 2007 3:43 am

This is a little confusing. The employee security screening is bad but the passenger security screening is good. So they threaten to make every passenger clear an additional security checkpoint in between flights. Makes no sense to me. Shouldn't they add the additional security for the employees, since that's the part that is lacking?

Mir

Sat May 26, 2007 3:55 am

Allegedly inspectors had been able in eight different cases to pass three airlines' employee security checkpoints with handguns, explosives and knives (Lufthansa, dba, LTU).

Only eight times? That sounds perfectly fine to us. Europeans are such whiny perfectionists.

Signed,

The TSA

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 3):
This is a little confusing. The employee security screening is bad but the passenger security screening is good. So they threaten to make every passenger clear an additional security checkpoint in between flights. Makes no sense to me. Shouldn't they add the additional security for the employees, since that's the part that is lacking?

There are certain security standards which EU airports have to meet - if they fail to deliver the whole package they face sanctions. Probably massive pressure is necessary to ensure the airports quickly react to deficiencies.

Btw - additional passenger screening in between flights makes sense in the case mentioned, considering that airline employees could place weapons in the aircraft.

PH

vinniewinnie

Sat May 26, 2007 5:21 am

D

Lufthansa and dba (now operating under the Air Berlin brand) confirmed the report and both announced that they had immediately cancelled the contract with the affected private security companies.

Not a terrible effective move from both companies we all know that the security staff is going to be transferred from one company to the other... Instead they should work together to achieve higher standards I believe...

Oh well...

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting VinnieWinnie (Reply 6):
Not a terrible effective move from both companies we all know that the security staff is going to be transferred from one company to the other... Instead they should work together to achieve higher standards I believe...

With all the public attention and media coverage we get now chances are good there will be significant changes.

PH

Sukhoi

Sun May 27, 2007 6:35 am

As a consequence the EU commission threatens to downgrade MUC to an "unclean" status and has set a deadline which expires June 8. "Unclean" means aircraft would have to park at remote positions at EU airports and passengers would have to pass security before connecting to another flight.

I know Budapest Airport is "unclean" at the moment any other?

/Sukhoi

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 8):

I haven't heard about that yet - do you have a link?

PH

Plane Holland

Sun May 27, 2007 5:55 pm

Taxes are the answer, here in Holland we believe to have solved all our security problems because of the security-charges

johnnybgoode

Sun May 27, 2007 7:41 pm

Quoting Sukhoi (Reply 8):

I think CPH is. at least it was one in winter. i think LUX also had troubles in winter, or am I confusing something here?

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 5):
There are certain security standards which EU airports have to meet - if they fail to deliver the whole package they face sanctions. Probably massive pressure is necessary to ensure the airports quickly react to deficiencies.

Btw - additional passenger screening in between flights makes sense in the case mentioned, considering that airline employees could place weapons in the aircraft.

very true. however, one should note a peculiarity which is very german and bureaocratic:
passenger screening is legislated by local state law, which means the local state, in this case Bavaria, must make sure that all security standards are met. in general, the screening standards for terminal access/passengers is very high in Germany and it is enforced by law officials rigorously.
surprisingly, those state laws don't apply to employee screening. i don't know how exactly it is handled, but different rules apply here and those are less strict. in turn, this means, that those screenings which are performed upon flight crews, technicians and other airline employees entering the sterile area, are not nearly as thorough as those which passengers have to go through.

a different set of rules apply. which means that while airlines and their employed security personnel adhere to applicable laws, they do not meet the same standards, and by the law, they don't have to. this, of course, is an invitation for the press to criticize the lax security standards at the airlines.

I am not defending the current practice. I do think that the same set of rules and standards should apply to the traveling public and airline employees alike.
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

LHStarAlliance

Sun May 27, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 1):
I myself "smuggled" a Swiss Army Knife through security at MUC once and the last time ( mid April) they did not even check if my liquids were in a plastic bag. I went on LH to GRU.

I did it twice at BCN and MUC ...

Konstantin
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

Leskova

Sun May 27, 2007 8:43 pm

Ouch - that'll hurt MUC's reputation; I wonder if the situation is really much better here at FRA though... although considering the passenger screening, I've always had the impression that it's somewhat less strict at MUC than it is here - but that's just an observation based on my (fortunately) very few flights through MUC these last few years.

They really need to get their act together!

Quoting Plane Holland (Reply 10):
Taxes are the answer, here in Holland we believe to have solved all our security problems because of the security-charges

Am I right in guessing that you're being ironic?
Smile - it confuses people!

airbazar

Mon May 28, 2007 2:58 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 5):

How is additional passenger screening going to solve that problem? A "terrorist employee" places a weapon in the aircraft. Terrorist passenger passes through security and picks up weapon inside aircraft. All the passenger screening in World can't stop this scenario. What they need to do is fix the lack of screening for the employees, not increase more screening for passengers. Seems like a backwards reaction to me.

PlaneHunter
Topic Author

Mon May 28, 2007 3:07 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 14):
How is additional passenger screening going to solve that problem? A "terrorist employee" places a weapon in the aircraft. Terrorist passenger passes through security and picks up weapon inside aircraft. All the passenger screening in World can't stop this scenario.

What I meant: Additional screening at the destination airport can help to decrease the risk of terrorists taking one weapon (placed by an employee at the "unclean" origin) from a flight to another.

PH

Sukhoi

Mon May 28, 2007 7:00 am

Quoting PlaneHunter (Reply 9):
I haven't heard about that yet - do you have a link?

I don´t but I know.

Quoting Johnnybgoode (Reply 11):
I think CPH is. at least it was one in winter

CPH is a clean airport again.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos