airnewzealand
Topic Author

Qantas..."The New Face" Advertising Campaign

Sun May 27, 2007 1:18 am

G'day Gentleman and Ladies,

Just been informed Qantas will be changing their advertising.

The "Still Call Australia home" Advertising is out...

And the new will be concentrating on "The face of Qantas" and more stylish, slick advertising.

Qantas has been 'recruiting' crew and CSR's for around 3 months now to appear in the ad's and themes shall be announced soon!

Look out for them..

Cheers

Also of inerest...Dont know if been reported yet, but the BNE flight ex LAX was damaged by a catering truck on Wednesday... and the aircraft is still in LAX.

alaskaqantas

RE: Qantas..."The New Face" Advertising Campaign

Sun May 27, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting Airnewzealand (Thread starter):
The "Still Call Australia home" Advertising is out...

And the new will be concentrating on "The face of Qantas" and more stylish, slick advertising.

hmmm.. I, for some reason, always loved that song. Even though Im a kiwi, I fly QF more then I do NZ, so I would hear that song everytime I was going back home, so I have a connection to it!

Well I hope that they make something that will be around for a while, something that when people hear the song or see it they immediately think of QF.

Thanks for the info!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

ClassicLover

Sun May 27, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Airnewzealand (Thread starter):
Qantas has been 'recruiting' crew and CSR's for around 3 months now to appear in the ad's and themes shall be announced soon!

Are you in it?
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

KFly

Sun May 27, 2007 7:57 am

The ad is out on TV. Saw it earlier during the ad break for Weekend Sunrise  Smile

It's one of them warm and fuzzy ads. And a nice QF A380 flying the skies at the end  Smile

K
Yes, I love to have some warm nuts.

Quetzal

Sun May 27, 2007 8:31 am

Sounds like the embarassed overlords got a bit sensitive when the 'Chaser' did their little spoof of the 'Still call Australia 51% home' ad.

Not surprised that the management would endorse a change of tack given what has been going on at QF lately. Besides, I always found that old ad so cheesy!
No matter how far you push the envelope, it will always remain Stationery.

HKGKaiTak

Sun May 27, 2007 8:49 am

In both the Sunday Telegraph and The Sun Herald today are full-page ads too showing how Australian they are ... sprouting what great things they're doing here in Australia and justifying why they're the Spirit of Australia.

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 4):
Sounds like the embarassed overlords got a bit sensitive when the 'Chaser' did their little spoof of the 'Still call Australia 51% home' ad.

rotfl  That spoof was brilliant ... here it is

4 Engines 4 LongHaul

QantasAirways

Sun May 27, 2007 10:25 am

Quoting HKGKaiTak (Reply 5):
In both the Sunday Telegraph and The Sun Herald today are full-page ads too showing how Australian they are ... sprouting what great things they're doing here in Australia and justifying why they're the Spirit of Australia.

There's also a full-page ad in today's Sunday Mail (Brisbane). I was very surprised to see it actually! It seems they are pushing their staff more into the forefront. It's got a picture of a QF stewardess in the brown uniform, standing in front of a bunch of QF tails. I think it's about time they showed off the staff! The uniforms are quite iconic
Spirit of Australia

Quetzal

Sun May 27, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 6):
There's also a full-page ad in today's Sunday Mail (Brisbane). I was very surprised to see it actually! It seems they are pushing their staff more into the forefront. It's got a picture of a QF stewardess in the brown uniform, standing in front of a bunch of QF tails. I think it's about time they showed off the staff! The uniforms are quite iconic

Guessing it's in every Australian paper today. Just noticed it in Herald Sun....

You say it's got a picture of a QF stewardess...... the 'funny' thing about this propaganda blitz is that she probably doesn't work for QF!!!! I'd like to know what percentage of their flight attendant workforce are actually employed by QF itself and not sub-contractors or the casual labour hire firm on dodgy conditions!
Iconic... ironic.

CXfirst

Sun May 27, 2007 10:58 am

Does that mean, that Qantas will not call Australia home......???

-CXfirst

QantasAirways

Sun May 27, 2007 11:00 am

Hmmm i wonder if they'll be using this one of Lisa Robertson

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 7):
You say it's got a picture of a QF stewardess...... the 'funny' thing about this propaganda blitz is that she probably doesn't work for QF!!!! I'd like to know what percentage of their flight attendant workforce are actually employed by QF itself and not sub-contractors or the casual labour hire firm on dodgy conditions!
Iconic... ironic.

I'm not too sure, but I think she may actually be a QF attendant. Mikey (Airnewzealand) said they were hiring from within QF. I don't think QF's workforce is made up of that many casuals. They wouldn't be allowed to do that by the FA unions. I know there are no long haul casuals working for QF - only short haul.
Spirit of Australia

TruemanQLD

Sun May 27, 2007 11:09 am

rotfl  that sure is funny

Quetzal

Sun May 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 9):
I'm not too sure, but I think she may actually be a QF attendant. Mikey (Airnewzealand) said they were hiring from within QF. I don't think QF's workforce is made up of that many casuals. They wouldn't be allowed to do that by the FA unions. I know there are no long haul casuals working for QF - only short haul.

Sorry Bro, there are over a thousand (and growing rapidly) 'so called casual' short-haul F/A's, most of which are forced to work with no flexibility to choose days on/off - ie forced to guarantee at least 20 days per month... by any other measure a discount arms-length proxy full-time workforce who have no access to sick-leave, holiday pay or any of the other usual benefits associated with airline employment such as staff travel (they do have access to Breakaway etc but who doesn't). I really don't know how QF gets away with the term 'Casual' when referring to this staff pool?
It's the churn and burn employment philosophy and it's smells bad....

The Perth short-haul base is now well over the 50% mark Casual v Permanent....

While the casual employment drive gathers pace (hundreds more now on hold until new financial year, then the flood gates open), QF simultaneously are offering VR, Full-time to Part-time, leave without pay for extended periods... makes no sense other than the obvious.

Then there is the AKL, BKK and London based staff all on 'much' lower conditions than the permanent staff. Don't get me wrong, I agree that QF needed to re-structure to compete and many (not all) of the incumbent staff needed to be weeded out to compete with other/foreign companies, no doubt. BUT, if as a compnay you want to be wear your slogans as a badge of honour than behave in that spirit........ at the moment QF should not be allowed to wear that slogan 'Spirit of Australia', unless that slogan at some point has come to stand for management greed and throwing the fair go out the window.
Anyway, enough of my rant.

As for FA Unions not.... laughable. Did you know that the FAAA office is a shared premises with, you guessed it, the labour hire firm contracting QF casual F/A's run by the former union advocate! OMG. I'd hate to get myself in trouble by suggesting any hi-jinks are going on there.... so, if you have an imagination, I'll let you join the dots about how 'persuasive' FA unions are in this modern Australian industrial relations climate.

QantasAirways

Sun May 27, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 11):
Sorry Bro, there are over a thousand (and growing rapidly) 'so called casual' short-haul F/A's, most of which are forced to work with no flexibility to choose days on/off - ie forced to guarantee at least 20 days per month... by any other measure a discount arms-length proxy full-time workforce who have no access to sick-leave, holiday pay or any of the other usual benefits associated with airline employment such as staff travel (they do have access to Breakaway etc but who doesn't). I really don't know how QF gets away with the term 'Casual' when referring to this staff pool?
It's the churn and burn employment philosophy and it's smells bad....

Yeah, but that all exists within short haul. No long haul casuals as it hasn't been agreed by the Long Haul flight attendant union (which does not share office with MAM - the contracting company). While Short Haul union might be in bed with MAM, long haul certainly isn't. Qantas has many long haul flight attendants - yep, all full time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Qantas introduced casuals into long haul if Howard stays in government, but I think if it's necessary, then do it. Lord knows Qantas service hasn't gotten worse as a result of the casuals. If they're not having a bad influence on the company, and if the FAs are willing to work on so-called casual rates, then where is the problem?
Spirit of Australia

airnewzealand
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2007 1:10 pm

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 7):
Iconic... ironic.

Hey Quetzal...

Just to point out...YES, the flight Attendants and CSR's are ALL employed by Qantas or its subsidiaries...

The girl in that photo shoot was Tinika...Shes a Business First Flight Attendant...and has such a beautiful nature!!!

Cheers

And the total percentage of Australian permanent staff at Qantas is 90% to 10% Casual/Off-shore!

All the best

That spoof was brilliant ... here it is

LOL...i agree...was pure excellence and gives you a laugh!

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 1):
hmmm.. I, for some reason, always loved that song. Even though Im a kiwi, I fly QF more then I do NZ, so I would hear that song everytime I was going back home, so I have a connection to it!

Hey Kyle...How you been??

The song will still play in the Aircraft cabins whilst boarding and dis-embarking!!

airnewzealand
Topic Author

Sun May 27, 2007 1:20 pm

Quoting Quetzal (Reply 11):
Then there is the AKL, BKK and London based staff all on 'much' lower conditions than the permanent staff. Don't get me wrong, I agree that QF needed to re-structure to compete and many (not all) of the incumbent staff needed to be weeded out to compete with other/foreign companies, no doubt. BUT, if as a compnay you want to be wear your slogans as a badge of honour than behave in that spirit........ at the moment QF should not be allowed to wear that slogan 'Spirit of Australia', unless that slogan at some point has come to stand for management greed and throwing the fair go out the window.

One more thing...
What you have to remember is the average salary in these respected countries is ALOT lower than Australia for instance. Australian based are on a good wicket due to this...and also previous union negotiations.
I can only speak on behalf of AKL base...and that is our conditions are alot better than what they used to be. We finished our negotiations last year and got a good deal out of the airline. This can only continue to get better as we negotiate another union contract in two and half years!

And leaving now...

All the best!

anstar

Sun May 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 8):
Does that mean, that Qantas will not call Australia home......???

Yes... but the new ad slogan is QANTAS - The spirit of australia which also matches what is printed on all the aircraft.

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 13):
The song will still play in the Aircraft cabins whilst boarding and dis-embarking!!

The song still plays in the new ad campaign, just music with no lyrics however.

I'm pretty sure this was the ad campaign to be played once APA took control as it is all about still being Australian and trusted. It just turns out that it is still effective given the recent happenings...

'Longreach'

Sun May 27, 2007 10:51 pm

I have seen three different ads tonight. I've got to say its a welcome change and quite refreshing, not that the old ads were bad, but they have been all we have seen for the last decade nearly. Nice work, and great to see the staff and aircraft featured so heavily.

Major major major emphasis on the Australia ownership and workers though. I have a very strong feeling 'someone' had 100% faith that the APA deal would go though, and went out and bought all the ad spots. Maybe it was too much effort to pull the campaign when the bid failed  biggrin 

Quetzal

Sun May 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 12):
Qantas has many long haul flight attendants - yep, all full time.

Hi QantasAirways,
I think I'm starting to lose touch? Are the AKL, BKK and LHR based crew actually employed by QF?
What was the relationship in AKL with Addeco and where does Jetconnect fit in?

Quoting QantasAirways (Reply 12):
I wouldn't be surprised if Qantas introduced casuals into long haul if Howard stays in government, but I think if it's necessary, then do it.

Lot's of rumours of 'casuals' on long-haul or of long-haul and short-haul effectively merging... will be interesting to see how that all pans out.

Hi Airnewzealand,

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 13):
Just to point out...YES, the flight Attendants and CSR's are ALL employed by Qantas or its subsidiaries...

What's a CSR? Not a bowl of sugar I hope?

Also, I'm sure Tinika is a nice person. One thing that QF generally does well is pick good people for these advertising campaigns. Was certainly not slurring her.
Just suspected a hint of irony given that the whole campaign (haven't seen a TV ad yet) is probably heavily aimed at trying to make Australians think that it's still an Australian based company will good 'ole Aussie values at it's core.... which is where I have my issue. I could go on but will probably dig myself a big hole.

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 14):
One more thing...
What you have to remember is the average salary in these respected countries is ALOT lower than Australia for instance. Australian based are on a good wicket due to this...

Not so sure about Aussie based staff being on such a great wicket.
Many/most of the CSO's on the ground are part-time with no option to go full-time (and earn a decent wage).
If you are hired as a flight attendant in Australia it's 'casual' or nothing (of course I am referring to mainline QF) and let's face it, it's not casual as in the dictionary sense.... good luck trying to get a loan for anything and god forbid if you get sick for more than a few days.

At least you sound happy over in AKL. Good for you!
The few ex-AKL people that I have run into were pleased to leave?? Am glad to hear that someone is happy though.

Anyway,
I hear train drivers do pretty well these days? Does anyone know any good train driver forums I can gatecrash?

QF175

Mon May 28, 2007 11:27 am

Quote:
The Spirit of Tomorrow

To celebrate our commitment to the future and to rural and regional Australia, we've launched a series of new television commercials starring our very own pilots, cabin crew, customer service officers, engineers and airport staff.

The Spirit of Australia ads were shot across Australia in locations as diverse as Longreach, Kalgoorlie, Mildura, the Engine Test Cell in Sydney and Brisbane's state-of-the-art Hanger 4, and show that Qantas' success is very much the product of our people.

The ads are testament to our continuing strength and evolution as the national carrier, and showcase our multi-billion dollar investment in new aircraft, technology and training.

Qantas' commitment to service, operational excellence, Australia's heritage and the future is represented in the new family of ads, which will be shown over four weeks in May and June.

You can download the new ad series by clicking below (MPG files).

Personally I love the extended ad - "The Spirit of Tomorrow". Music is as great as ever, same as those amazing F/As

The Spirit of Tomorrow

Airbus

Regional Australia

VHXLR8

Mon May 28, 2007 12:52 pm

Quoting ANstar (Reply 15):
I'm pretty sure this was the ad campaign to be played once APA took control as it is all about still being Australian and trusted. It just turns out that it is still effective given the recent happenings...

This new approach to QF advertising goes back as early as 2004. Not sure why it took so long to come to fruition, but I distintly remember that we were told a new advertising campaign focusing on, and using staff was the next big thing (that was late 2004).
While I agree that QF is facing somewhat of a potential image problem (thanks to the failed takeover), I wouldn't go so far as to say that this new campaign is purely a reaction to recent events.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos