bhxdtw
Topic Author

Foreign Airline Crew Based At LHR

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:59 pm

Hi guys..
I was just wondering..
a number of foreign airlines base crew at LHR..
i.e CX, NH, NZ, AA (?)
Can anyone shed any light as to the kind of work schedules of some of these crew..mainly cabin crew.
I was thinking of applying for a position with one airline and was wondering how many flights a week you would be rostered..
i.e with CX or NZ....
I know with CX you would only fly LHR-HKG-LHR and NZ your would only fly LHR-LAX/HKG-LHR..

Any ideas,please let me know...

Regards,

Joe

EI321

RE: Foreign Airline Crew Based At LHR

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:34 pm

EI have a base there AFAIK.

Algoz

Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:49 pm

United have a large F/A base at LHR

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Any idea of the work patterns for NZ crew for instance ?
like I mean.. how long would they spend in HKG/LAX and how many flights they would be rostered in a week or month ?

Smile

Joe

industrybuff

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:19 pm

Qantas operates a base at LHR. The crew do mainly 3 and 4 day trips to SIN BKK and HKG only aswell as the odd
summer charter to say copenhagen or other cities in Europe to connect with cruise ships..... they only fly on B747-400s
If you are interested in applying, check out

www.qantascabincrewuk.com

Cheers
Ibuff

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:59 am

actually QF are recruiting now for UK crew..
How many cruise flights do they usually operate from the UK ?

Thanks for the link too..

J  Smile

cy319

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:00 am

JL also has some FAs based in LHR.
wanna be travel buddies ,sex buddies .. or both ?

commavia

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:40 am

Quoting BHXDTW (Thread starter):
i.e CX, NH, NZ, AA (?)

To my knowledge, the only U.S. carrier that currently has a crew base in the U.K. is United, which has a flight attendant base at Heathrow. I believe their London-based crews fly only on Heathrow-U.S.-Heathrow turns, and don't do U.S. domestic, even though they are members of the AFA. AA has never had a crew base in London, or any other European city.

nzrich

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 3):
Any idea of the work patterns for NZ crew for instance ?
like I mean.. how long would they spend in HKG/LAX and how many flights they would be rostered in a week or month ?

As far as i know 2 nights in LAX and HKG but the way the flights are scheduled LAX has much more time off at that layover .. Roughly you do 1 trip a week .. If you need any more info please contact me and i will try to answer any info .. As i am looking at moving from CHC base in NZ to LHR and i know quite a few LHR based NZ staff and im also NZ staff ..
"Pride of the pacific"

Embajador3

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:19 pm

As far as i know, the only foreign airlines based at LHR are JAL, United, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines, Aer Lingus ... am i forgetting any??

Flying Together
Flying Together

zeke

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:32 pm

I was thinking of applying for a position with one airline and was wondering how many flights a week you would be rostered..
i.e with CX or NZ....

CX would be one LHR-HKG-LHR trip a week on the 744.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

lovinitflyboy

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:37 pm

I think ANA do as well, not 100% sure though!

UAL777UK

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:05 pm

Quoting Commavia (Reply 7):
To my knowledge, the only U.S. carrier that currently has a crew base in the U.K. is United, which has a flight attendant base at Heathrow. I believe their London-based crews fly only on Heathrow-U.S.-Heathrow turns, and don't do U.S. domestic, even though they are members of the AFA

Correct. US Law does not permit foreign nationals to fly domestic flight within the US, which is a shame as I am sure if they did, it would not be a bad thing!

COEI2007

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting EI321 (Reply 1):
EI have a base there AFAIK.

I dont think EI have crew based there

bastew

Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:20 pm

Yup, ANA definitely do.

The crew fly LHR-NRT as well as european patterns eg LHR-NRT-CDG-NRT-LHR.

Quoting Industrybuff (Reply 4):
Qantas operates a base at LHR. The crew do mainly 3 and 4 day trips to SIN BKK and HKG

WOW! Does that mean the LHR based QF crews only get 1 local night in some SE asian ports after a long range flight?

VHXLR8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Quoting Industrybuff (Reply 4):
Qantas operates a base at LHR. The crew do mainly 3 and 4 day trips to SIN BKK and HKG

Quoting BAStew (Reply 14):
WOW! Does that mean the LHR based QF crews only get 1 local night in some SE asian ports after a long range flight?

No, QF LHR based crew generally do 5 or 6 day trips to HKG/SIN/BKK; so mainly 2 (sometimes 3) nights in the outport.

rjpieces

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:34 pm

So does anyone have a full list of airlines that have crew bases at LHR?

Can anyone shed any light as to the kind of work schedules of some of these crew..mainly cabin crew.

Thanks for starting this thread as I had many of the same questions!

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 5):
actually QF are recruiting now for UK crew..

Would it be possible for an American to work for Qantas UK? What are the rules about something like that?

And can anyone confirm if QF crew fly 3-4 day trips or 5-6 day trips to the Far East?

Quoting Commavia (Reply 7):
To my knowledge, the only U.S. carrier that currently has a crew base in the U.K. is United

I assume they are not hiring for that base?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

roseflyer

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 12):
Correct. US Law does not permit foreign nationals to fly domestic flight within the US, which is a shame as I am sure if they did, it would not be a bad thing!

Where did that law come from? It seems an odd law. I know they want to protect US jobs, but it seems that foreign nationals working at an airline should be able to operate any route within the airline that the union agrees to.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

VHXLR8

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 16):
Would it be possible for an American to work for Qantas UK? What are the rules about something like that?

If you had a UK/E.U passport and were eligible to work in the UK, then yes.

And can anyone confirm if QF crew fly 3-4 day trips or 5-6 day trips to the Far East?

Ummm, I just did a couple of posts ago. It's 5/6 days trips mainly.

AF Cabin Crew

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Ia Orana All !

My sister works for ANA, she is actually on maternity leave now but until recently the did the following patterns. LHR-NRT-FRA-NRT-LHR and LHR deadhead CDG-NRT-CDG deadhead LHR. It was talked that now they would do LHR-NRT-LHR or deadhead to CDG or FRA and operate the flight to NRT.
The ANA FA base opened in may 2001 and my sister started with the second flight attendant training course.

Happy Flying,

AF Cabin Crew
Ia Maitai to tatou tere !

Zkpilot

Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 12):

QF crew operate LAX-JFK-LAX although they don't pick up domestic pax...only pax arriving/departing on QF flights.
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

bastew

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 18):

Was just reading the QF cabin crew thread on pprune. Most of the entries on there from the LHR based crew say they generally do 4 day trips with 1 local night down route in SIN/BKK. Apparently the only longer trips is the odd LHR-HKG which has two local nights there. I didn't even realise this was legal. They must be exhausted if this is the case. One interesting quote from the thread is "....QF management decide what countries labour laws apply to us as is convenient to them. When it is a european work law that benefits us (eg 900 hours p.a max flying hours) we are told it doesn't apply to us because we work on australian registered aircraft. When it is an australian labour law that would benefit us we are told it doesn't apply to us because we are based in the UK!.....".

Can anyone from QF (pref LHR base) confirm?

zeke

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:42 pm

Quoting BAStew (Reply 21):
Was just reading the QF cabin crew thread on pprune. Most of the entries on there from the LHR based crew say they generally do 4 day trips with 1 local night down route in SIN/BKK. Apparently the only longer trips is the odd LHR-HKG which has two local nights there. I didn't even realise this was legal. They must be exhausted if this is the case.

I often do two HKG-LHR/AMS/CDG/FRA/JNB/YVR/AKL trips in 7 days as a pilot..... what is the issue?.. they are only 12-14 hr sectors.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks for starting this thread as I had many of the same questions!

No worries.. Im looking to apply for a couple of airlines... im 25, and I always wanted to be cabin crew.. ever ssince i was little, unfortunatley I ended up in the airport, on the ground (not a bad thing at all) so I kinda left the idea of cabin crew back when I was 20-ish..
Now I have to do it... hahaha  Smile

Im sure if you have the legal right to work in the UK you would be alright to.
My wifes american and she can have any job in the UK she wants to apply for as she has a visa allowing her to live and work here for 2 year periods.. granted thats because she married me as a brit. But I see no reason why you shouldnt apply if you can... I just did.. (thanks to industrybuff for the link)

(ps... NZRICH... I will pm you later if thats ok as I am about to apply for a LHR NZ based position)

Ringway

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:43 pm

Does anyone know of a cabin crew member who is UK-based (London) but doesn't actually live in London?

The reason I ask is that I have travelled LHR-MAN on many occasions and have noticed several passengers who are cabin crew and who are heading back home to the North West after having flown into LHR on an intercontinental flight (mostly this has been VS crew booked onto LHR-MAN).

Am I right in presuming that airlines would also recruit cabin crew who live outside of London and the Home Counties?

UAL777UK

Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 17):
Where did that law come from? It seems an odd law. I know they want to protect US jobs, but it seems that foreign nationals working at an airline should be able to operate any route within the airline that the union agrees to.

I suspect it boils down to the green card issue?

airbazar

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Ringway (Reply 24):
Does anyone know of a cabin crew member who is UK-based (London) but doesn't actually live in London?

Yes, a few. Some LHR based SQ crew do not live in London. They live throughout Europe in their home countries and just commute to LHR/FRA/CDG/etc to get to work. Unless you're originally from London, it would be a very expensive place to live given so many other less expensive choices in Europe  Smile

UAL777UK

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:24 pm

There are some LHR based UA flight Attendants that travel from as far as New Zealand and Japan to do there trips. Mad!!

Ringway

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 27):
There are some LHR based UA flight Attendants that travel from as far as New Zealand and Japan to do there trips. Mad!!

That is bizarre!

What sort of flight legs would they operate then once they're "at work" so to speak?

lovinitflyboy

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:33 pm

I work for bmi and we get crew from many airlines but mainley BA, VS, UA and other BD staff that are all London based but commute from all over the country,europe and even further. We have crew that come from as far as Cape Town and Bangkok. It not uncommon not to live in London but be based here, it's one of the advantages of the lifestyle that airline crew can enjoy. I myself live in London but fly from Manchester.

rjpieces

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:37 pm

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 18):

An earlier poster said they are 3-4 day trips....And then see below.

Quoting BAStew (Reply 21):
Most of the entries on there from the LHR based crew say they generally do 4 day trips with 1 local night down route in SIN/BKK.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

lovinitflyboy

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 29):
What sort of flight legs would they operate then once they're "at work" so to speak?

can be anything, same as the rest of the crew. They choose not to live in London (or the city of the base) so they only start work when they reoprt in London with the rest of the crew. Some will come into town the night before, others try and work as much as they can in a block and take all their days off together to go back home for longer. The guys that i mentioned in my last post from Bangkok and Cape town, both have guest houses and job share with each other working one month on and one month off and only come to London when they are at work.

Ringway

Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 29):
I work for bmi and we get crew from many airlines but mainley BA, VS, UA and other BD staff that are all London based but commute from all over the country,europe and even further. We have crew that come from as far as Cape Town and Bangkok. It not uncommon not to live in London but be based here, it's one of the advantages of the lifestyle that airline crew can enjoy. I myself live in London but fly from Manchester.

I like the sounds of that - it certainly beats MON-FRI 9-5...

UAL777UK

Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Ringway (Reply 28):

They simply do three or four back to back trips to the states.....do there hours, then go home where they might then be for a few weeks then go through it all again. I would imagine that kind of schedule is hellish!!

bastew

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:02 am

Many BA crew live within the UK, europe and further afield. Those that live in several EU countries effectively live 'tax free'. The reclaim all their tax paid in the UK as long haul crew can prove with commuting air tickets and rosters that they spend a major portion of the year outside the UK. And they don't pay tax in their residing country as they are not employed there.  Wink

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting BAStew (Reply 34):
Many BA crew live within the UK, europe and further afield. Those that live in several EU countries effectively live 'tax free'. The reclaim all their tax paid in the UK as long haul crew can prove with commuting air tickets and rosters that they spend a major portion of the year outside the UK. And they don't pay tax in their residing country as they are not employed there.

how interesting..

Ive wondered why AC do not have a crew base here.. or even EK.. wouldnt that make financial sense to them ?
just a thought..

Viscount724

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 35):
Ive wondered why AC do not have a crew base here..

Not sure how that would be of any benefit to AC. Since all AC flights to LHR turn around there and return to Canada, if they had LHR-based crews, they would have hotel and other expenses on arrival in Canada, whereas Canada-based crews now overnight in LHR. I don't see any advantage, and it would probably cause a lot of union problems if they hired UK-based flight attendants to replace Canadian staff.

bastew

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:35 am

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 35):
Ive wondered why AC do not have a crew base here.. or even EK.. wouldnt that make financial sense to them ?
just a thought..

I remember a discussion with a pilot at BA about a year ago and he was saying that there was a petition going around of pilots willing to work for EK if they opened a UK base. Not sure if there is any truth in it.

As for the financial incentive of airlines basing F/A's in the UK. Well I guess on the one hand they get to cut out expensive hotel and transport bills in the UK. On the other hand, we have a lot of (sometimes expensive for employer) labour laws in the UK (EU) that do not exisit in some countries. Such as statutory sick pay for all employees, generous maternity leave and a lot of other EU directed rules beginning to creep in (such as airlines only being able to roster F/A's 900 duty hours p.a).

VHXLR8

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:29 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 30):
An earlier poster said they are 3-4 day trips....And then see below.

I'm just going by what i've been told by friends at work who have flown out of LHR. Also, the minimum rest period after a LHR-SIN/BKK sector is 36 hours; so that would suggest that 1 night there is not enough.

Emirates029

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:43 am

About the LHR based crew that commute from Cape Town etc..doesnt the cost of buying a ticket from say Cape Town to Heathrow and back cancel out what they earn? Seems very strange and illogical to me

airbazar

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:55 am

Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 39):
About the LHR based crew that commute from Cape Town etc..doesnt the cost of buying a ticket from say Cape Town to Heathrow and back cancel out what they earn? Seems very strange and illogical to me

I don't think thay pay for it. It's called a nonrev  Smile

Avianca

Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 40):
I don't think thay pay for it. It's called a nonrev

well even if they have a ID90 ticket, it still costs money... and on the other hand, what are they do when the flights are overbooked... and they didnt come into LHR intime in order to work??
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

FlyEmirates

Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:45 am

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 38):
Also, the minimum rest period after a LHR-SIN/BKK sector is 36 hours; so that would suggest that 1 night there is not enough

Ahh the luxury of all that time off down route, how about 14 hour flight DXB - JFK then 25 hour layover not taking into account pissing around time and transfers to hotel then back JFK - DXB 13 hours

rjpieces

Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting FlyEmirates (Reply 42):
hh the luxury of all that time off down route, how about 14 hour flight DXB - JFK then 25 hour layover not taking into account pissing around time and transfers to hotel then back JFK - DXB 13 hours

Do EK crews fly in and out on the same flight pairs (i.e. DXB-JFK on EK 201, JFK-DXB on EK 202), or do they mix and match between the two JFK-DXB flights?

lovinitflyboy

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:22 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 40):
Quoting Emirates029 (Reply 39):

I don't think thay pay for it. It's called a nonrev

Yes they pay for it, and yes most of the time it is an ID90. If you block all your trips together and only do the commute say once a month then it's fine sometimes this wont work out and you have to do it more often, s then it does start eating into your salary, but as mentioned above there is a huge tax benefit to not living in the UK! Also if i'm getting paid in British Pounds and most of my day to day spending is in South African Rand (or US Dollars with the rate of exchange as it is at the moment) my money goes a lot, lot further and quality of life is better!

Quoting Avianca (Reply 41):
what are they do when the flights are overbooked... and they didnt come into LHR intime in order to work??

As with all crew, it's your responsibility to get to work on time, makes no difference. I remember on a MAN - LHR morning flight that i was on, i was sat next to 2 BA girls one going to SFO the other to BOM and a VS girl going to JFK, the flight was delayed due to the off loading of a pax and their bags and then a slot delay at LHR, the girl going to SFO missed her report, but she said that she would just be put on something else later that day butit wouls be logged on her file against her. I would say that if it happened all the time then it would be addressed and action taken including dissaplineries or even termination of your contract.

nzrich

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 23):
(ps... NZRICH... I will pm you later if thats ok as I am about to apply for a LHR NZ based position)

Of course PM me will help as much as i can ...
"Pride of the pacific"

bastew

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:30 pm

Yes, the cost of communiting is becoming a bit of an issue. The ID90 fares remain very cheap, but its all the 'taxes' and 'charges' pushing the totals up and up. Many BA crew communiting domestically book confirmed flights on the likes of bmi/ba.com as soon as their rosters come out and they end up cheaper than the cost of a non-rev ticket (and a guaranteed seat!).

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:59 pm

Im going to apply for a position with one of the foreign carriers out of LHR,
I live about an hour and half north of Heathrow..
That shouldnt be an issue should it ?????
I know it sounds crazy especially when you have people commuting from around the globe.. but still..
I dont fancy moving back to london, just to be cabin crew... or for any reason whatsoever come to think of it.. I still want to live in the midlands.

Joe

airbazar

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 44):
Yes they pay for it, and yes most of the time it is an ID90.

That depends on the contract with the airline and an ID90 once or twice a month is still a very cheap commute. Probably cheaper than what some of us pay for gas to drive to work, per month.

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 44):
As with all crew, it's your responsibility to get to work on time, makes no difference.

checkmark  After all, where you live is your choice.

UAL777UK

Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:04 pm

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 48):
That depends on the contract with the airline and an ID90 once or twice a month is still a very cheap commute. Probably cheaper than what some of us pay for gas to drive to work, per month.

Not when you take into account the taxes you have to pay to fly in and out of LHR! The ID90 fare may be cheap but when you throw the taxes in etc, that starts becoming a very expensive commute!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos