rjpieces
Topic Author

Emirates And Kosher Food--Issue Resolved?

Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:58 pm

I remember a thread a few years back (probably in 2004) about Emirates refusing to serve Kosher food, even though they served food for all sorts of special needs including a small Indian sect.

Since they have subsequently started service to JFK, including flights to Europe and will probably add more, I was wondering if Emirates has resolved this issue and now caters to the Jewish community in New York.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

AeroWesty

RE: Emirates And Kosher Food--Issue Resolved?

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:08 am

Emirates doesn't appear to offer a Kosher option.

http://www.emirates.com/TravellerInf...nflight/SpecialMeals/Religious.asp
International Homo of Mystery

EK773

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:29 am

EK does cater kosher food if it is ordered in advance. In fact its for all jews, not just those from New York.

UAEflyer

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:33 am

Isn't the Kosher food like the Halal food ?

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:40 am

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 3):

For the orthodox there are a number of differences. Halal can be performed by anyone, Kosher must be done under the supervision of a rabbi. Kosher can contain alcohol, Halal cannot, etc. But generally, if you keep Halal you can eat Kosher, as long as it doesn't contain alcohol.

I wonder if El Al offers Muslim meals? Their website doesn't seem to indicate on their special meals page.

rjpieces
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting EK773 (Reply 2):
EK does cater kosher food if it is ordered in advance.

Is this an official policy, or is it just kind of known?

And where would they get the Kosher food from on a DXB-JFK flight? Are there kosher catering facilities in Dubai?

As AeroWesty pointed out, I believe that if you keep Halal you can eat Kosher food but not vice versa.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
I wonder if El Al offers Muslim meals?

Not sure.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:07 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 5):
Is this an official policy, or is it just kind of known?

And where would they get the Kosher food from on a DXB-JFK flight? Are there kosher catering facilities in Dubai?

I know from personal experience that EK serve Kosher on their JFK-DXB sector, the guy right next to me actually had it.

As AeroWesty pointed out, I believe that if you keep Halal you can eat Kosher food but not vice versa.

Very true, plus not all muslims eat Kosher food.

Not sure.

I hear from some one that EL AL does not offer muslim meals because it is assumed that Kosher is Halal.
The Truth is Out There ---- Face It!!!!!

EK773

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:00 am

And where would they get the Kosher food from on a DXB-JFK flight?

Hmm .. now this im not too sure but i certainly know that KSML can be catered for flights ex-DXB and the meal box does come properly sealed and in tact.

777way

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:25 am

Kosher food cannot contain alcohol or porkk products, thats why Muslims too can eat it, and thats why EL AL can very rightfully not have a halal meal offering.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):
Kosher can contain alcohol,

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 8):
Kosher food cannot contain alcohol

Actually ...

Quoting http://www.ifanca.org/faq/#kosher:

Islam prohibits all intoxicants, including alcohols, liquors and wines, whereas Judaism regards alcohol and wines as Kosher. Hence Kosher foods may contain alcohol. If they do, they are haram.

The rest of the page is quite interesting, as well.

Beaucaire

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:35 am

While I can see and accept ethnic food preferences,I fail to understand while some still make an issue out of difference between Kosher or Halal !
- Let's face it - it's all based on historical subjective recommendations that were maybe necessary in those days but from a hygiene point of view are somehow obsolete.
Neither a Jew ,Buddhist,Christian ,Taoist or Muslim will feel bad,simply because he ate non-conform food based on his religion's diet laws.I've been sitting on flights from Brussels to New York next to Orthodox Jews who brought along their whole meal packed in newspaper ,because they did not trust Sabena's Kosher seals....
This is absolutely absurd !
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:40 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 10):
Neither a Jew ,Buddhist,Christian ,Taoist or Muslim will feel bad,simply because he ate non-conform food based on his religion's diet laws.I've been sitting on flights from Brussels to New York next to Orthodox Jews who brought along their whole meal packed in newspaper ,because they did not trust Sabena's Kosher seals....
This is absolutely absurd !

Certain people are still stuck in the Dark Ages.

I wondered that myself what would happen if the Jew/Muslim/Buddhist for once ate something different. Would the Earth stop spinning because of that.

Airlines incur a major expense catering to all these different groups than can eat this but not that.

The world or an airline does not owe these people a Halal or Kosher or Vegetarian or some other kind of a meal.
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

rjpieces
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 10):
.I've been sitting on flights from Brussels to New York next to Orthodox Jews who brought along their whole meal packed in newspaper ,because they did not trust Sabena's Kosher seals....

Maybe it was because Sabena didn't serve Glatt Kosher meals? Even on El Al, many passengers order Glatt Kosher meals because they do not trust the standard kosher El Al meals...Same goes on CO's EWR-TLV service--passengers can order glatt kosher meals if the normal kosher meals do not conform to their standards.

Beaucaire

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 12):
Maybe it was because Sabena didn't serve Glatt Kosher meals? Even on El Al, many passengers order Glatt Kosher meals because they do not trust the standard kosher El Al meals...Same goes on CO's EWR-TLV service--passengers can order glatt kosher meals if the normal kosher meals do not conform to their standards.

Would they be considered lesser Jews because they had just Kosher and not Glatt-Kosher meal by the lord ????
I call this religious brainwash .
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

FLYACYYZ

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:45 am

Quoting EK773 (Reply 7):
Hmm .. now this im not too sure but i certainly know that KSML can be catered for flights ex-DXB and the meal box does come properly sealed and in tact.

I'm sure that Emirates has quite an amazing catering facility in Dubai, but would find it hard to believe that they would have a separate kosher kitchen to cater KSML's. I think there would be obvious "political" issues, and I'm sure that demand for KSML's on Emirates is limited at best. If KSML's are offered ex Dubai (personally I would be astounded if they are), they must be outsourced and sent in from the UK or abroad.

Assumedly out of New York, EK is catered by Gate Gourmet, LSG, CLS, etc, all of whom would have KSML's in stock and as part of their inventory, and perhaps this is a quiet and allowable exception. Don't expect to find any MOML's on EL AL.
Above and Beyond

rjpieces
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 6):
I know from personal experience that EK serve Kosher on their JFK-DXB sector, the guy right next to me actually had it

Interesting...Do you mind if I ask, were the F/As nice about it? In other words, was it mainstream?

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 6):
I hear from some one that EL AL does not offer muslim meals because it is assumed that Kosher is Halal.

That is my assumption as well.

Quoting EK773 (Reply 7):

Hmmm, any way you could find out? I guess that must mean there are kosher catering facilities (and rabbis) in Dubai then?

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 11):
The world or an airline does not owe these people a Halal or Kosher or Vegetarian or some other kind of a meal.

Correct, but businesses compete based upon the services they provide. If no airline offered Kosher, and AF suddenly did, for example, most others would as well just to remain competitive if the market was there. There's nothing wrong with catering to your customers, nor being respectful of another's religious practices, so let's not turn this into a debate over if people are right or wrong with practicing their faith.

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 13):
Would they be considered lesser Jews because they had just Kosher and not Glatt-Kosher meal by the lord ????

They would be condemned to spend the eternity in a boiling pot
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:52 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 15):
Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 6):I hear from some one that EL AL does not offer muslim meals because it is assumed that Kosher is Halal.

That is my assumption as well.

It wouldn't be kosher to serve Kosher to a Muslim if it contained alcohol.

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 16):
Correct, but businesses compete based upon the services they provide. If no airline offered Kosher, and AF suddenly did, for example, most others would as well just to remain competitive if the market was there. There's nothing wrong with catering to your customers, nor being respectful of another's religious practices, so let's not turn this into a debate over if people are right or wrong with practicing their faith.

Let everyone practice their fate, I agree with you on that.

However, I don't want anyone's fate to be jammed down the throats of general public. Nor should they receive special preferences or treatments just because of their fate.

In the words of immortal Jack Nicholson "As long as you keep your work zipped up around me, we should not have any issues".

On a more serious note, the majority of the people that practice the fate understand that in some instances they would not be able to get the specific meal or pray because of a specific circumstances. It is the small minority of attention seeking people that make a fuss about this whole nonsence of preferential treatment due to their faith.

What do you think will happen if the airlines stop serving faith based foods, these people would walk to their destination? This whole meal thing is the absurdity of the political correctness where they try to please a distinct few but inconvinience everyone else.

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
AeroWesty

Actually when a wine or any alcoholic bevarage is added to food the alcohol within evaporates during the cooking due to a low boiling tempreture. That was my understanding of why Kosher is Halal, been having it for sometime so I hope I am not wrong.

Dallasnewark

Thank you for showing us your progressive attitude towards life, maybe you should take this attitude and have a discussion about it on another thread?

Interesting...Do you mind if I ask, were the F/As nice about it? In other words, was it mainstream?

I can't get what you mean about the nice part but her tone was pretty "ordinary". The guy beside me was actually going over to dubai for a holiday, although I did forget to ask him what he planned to do about food once he reached dubai?

FLYACYYZ

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:57 am

There are many levels of religous observances, but from a strict point of view, a devout Muslim can eat a Kosher meal given the food preparation and the absence of pork products, but a devout Jew would not eat a Muslim meal. Despite the absence of pork, it is not prepared under strict Rabbinical supervision.

As pointed out, an ultra-orthodox Jew would not eat a regular non-glatt kosher meal, and regularly on YYZ/TLV/YYZ flights bring their own food.
Above and Beyond

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 19):
This whole meal thing is the absurdity of the political correctness where they try to please a distinct few but inconvinience everyone else.

I've never been inconvenienced by the passenger sitting next to me eating a special meal, so I don't get the connection.

777way

Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
Quoting http://www.ifanca.org/faq/#kosher:

Islam prohibits all intoxicants, including alcohols, liquors and wines, whereas Judaism regards alcohol and wines as Kosher. Hence Kosher foods may contain alcohol. If they do, they are haram.

Thats news.

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:03 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 20):
Actually when a wine or any alcoholic bevarage is added to food the alcohol within evaporates during the cooking due to a low boiling tempreture. That was my understanding of why Kosher is Halal, been having it for sometime so I hope I am not wrong.

May I offer you a piece of Cointreau cake? The Cointreau was added after it cooled.  Wink

Another reason Kosher cannot always be Halal, if anyone cared to read the link I posted, is because:

"Kosher practice does not require Jews to pronounce the name of God on the animals while slaughtering, but Muslims must pronounce the name of ALLAH on all animals while slaughtering."

If you're Muslim, and follow Halal, you just can't take for granted that all foods labeled as Kosher are acceptable.

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 22):
I've never been inconvenienced by the passenger sitting next to me eating a special meal, so I don't get the connection.

Neither did I. Do not take everything so literally.
I just find this topic absurd.

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:07 am

Thank you for showing us your progressive attitude towards life, maybe you should take this attitude and have a discussion about it on another thread?

What would happen to you if for once you eat non-Halal food? Just curious.

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:08 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):
May I offer you a piece of Cointreau cake? The Cointreau was added after it cooled.

lol! Now why did I never think about that!  Wink

FLYACYYZ

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:10 am

Similar to the last go-around this topic will lapse into political overtones. It's no secret that Emirates has succeded in becoming part of that select group of the worlds pre-eminent customer service airlines. If addressing the needs of this very small and limited group of customers, putting any political consdierations aside helps to accomplish their mission, good on them!!
Above and Beyond

jfk69

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:12 am

Hmmm, any way you could find out? I guess that must mean there are kosher catering facilities (and rabbis) in Dubai then?

I highly doubt that a Kosher kitchen is in DXB. I am sure that just like other exotic locations, when requestin a Kosher meal, that it is sent in on a inbound flight and frozen at the destination.

DXB may have a few frozen KSML sitting around in case it is needed.

jacobin777

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:16 am

Certain people are still stuck in the Dark Ages.

...sure, I guess very well educated, practical and religious people like me are so 'stuck in the "Dark Ages"'... sarcastic 

However, I don't want anyone's fate to be jammed down the throats of general public.

..so who's "jamming" religion down the throats of people? last I recalled, you had a right to choose what carrier to fly...

Nor should they receive special preferences or treatments just because of their fate.

...who's giving "special preferences"? I pay for services and will give my business to carriers which cater to my needs...

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 25):
I just find this topic absurd.

......I was thinking the same thing about your asinine comments...... sarcastic 
"Up the Irons!"

777way

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 26):

Many Muslims do that and consider it a non-issue, many of them also drink, but they all avoid eating pork.

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 30):
...sure, I guess very well educated, practical and religious people like me are so 'stuck in the "Dark Ages"'...

Did I specifically mentioned you? I specifically said that it doesn't apply to the majority of people

..so who's "jamming" religion down the throats of people? last I recalled, you had a right to choose what carrier to fly...

That hit a nerve, didn't it. Have you ever heard of secularism?

...who's giving "special preferences"? I pay for services and will give my business to carriers which cater to my needs...

The last time I checked you pay just as much as the next guy that requires no special meal. As far as I know, you're more costly to the airline since you require more special services.

was thinking the same thing about your asinine comments......

That was uncalled for. I did not attack you personally, but I guess when the religion blurs the presence of the common sence, comments like yours magically appear.

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:25 am

I think you know vey well what is going to happen. My religion has a certain set of rules and perameters which I do not cross because I truly believe in it. To be fair none of us know what really happens once we die, any anwer to that quetion could be as much wrong as right depending on the way you interpret it.

FLYACYYZ

AC-Ireland//Bye Bye Shannon

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:26 am

Probably the same fate that would await a strict vegetarian who unknowingly ate meat. If what your alluding to is that nobody ever died from eating the improper/incorrect type of food, you are totally correct.

It is simply a question of religious observance, accomodation and a case of respect and tolerance. Individuals are free to pursue their beliefs. How is that confused with jamming ones faith down your throat?? I don't have a religious bone in my body, but this one is a no-brainer.

blockhead 
Above and Beyond

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 33):
I think you know vey well what is going to happen. My religion has a certain set of rules and perameters which I do not cross because I truly believe in it. To be fair none of us know what really happens once we die, any anwer to that quetion could be as much wrong as right depending on the way you interpret it.

My point is if you made a request for a specific meal and the airline forgot to bring it onboard, would you make a rare exception in this case?

I would think that most of the people would make the exception here if the airline forgot to bring the special meals onboard. but I could be wrong

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:32 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 35):
My point is if you made a request for a specific meal and the airline forgot to bring it onboard, would you make a rare exception in this case?

I would think that most of the people would make the exception here if the airline forgot to bring the special meals onboard. but I could be wrong

I would either have a vegetarian meal or Kosher in its place. Fish is fine as well.

dallasnewark

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 34):
How is that confused with jamming ones faith down your throat?? I don't have a religious bone in my body, but this one is a no-brainer.

I may have overstated this particular statement, thereby causing this reaciton.

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 34):
Probably the same fate that would await a strict vegetarian who unknowingly ate meat. If what your alluding to is that nobody ever died from eating the improper/incorrect type of food, you are totally correct.

That was the point I was trying to make, that you can make the exceptions in some rare cases when it comes to food. And people that cannot are stuck a few centuries behind, well that is my opinion

777way

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 32):
was thinking the same thing about your asinine comments......

That was uncalled for. I did not attack you personally, but I guess when the religion blurs the presence of the common sence, comments like yours magically appear.

Very true, but secular people also do not understand what religious beliefs mean to one, BBC showed an atheist German girl converting to Islam and wearing headscarf and full robe, thats what belief can lead you to, then there was the neo-nazi skin head big built white slavic guy in Russia who despised Muslims and after September 11th he too became Muslim, after studying the religion.

AeroWesty

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:39 am

Oy vey.

jfk69

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Dallasnewark (Reply 35):

Yeah I think most will disagree with you on this one. If your ordering it in the first place then you probably needed it. I for one order KSML and hope to get it when I can. When I don't I just sit there and move on.

rjpieces
Topic Author

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:40 am

However, I don't want anyone's fate to be jammed down the throats of general public. Nor should they receive special preferences or treatments just because of their fate.

You are the only one making an issue out of it, Dallasnewark.

And learn to spell before attacking religion....

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 28):
Similar to the last go-around this topic will lapse into political overtones.

Actually from all of the replies so far, it appears that the Jews and Muslims are discussing this topic quite nicely. It was Dallasnewark who brought a hostile attitude towards both kosher and halal food (and vegetarians).

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 13):

Religion is a personal thing. If somebody wants to eat food prepared a certain way for religious reasons, they have every right in the world to do so.

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 14):
I think there would be obvious "political" issues, and I'm sure that demand for KSML's on Emirates is limited at best.

Probably true from Dubai...But I imagine there must be fairly regular demand on JFK-HAM...Qatar is starting EWR-GVA this summer; I'm sure there will be a regular demand for kosher meals on that flight as well. And if EK ever enters a market like JFK-LHR, or DXB-TLV, it will obviously become more regular...And both of those are distinct possibilities in the near future.

However, I don't want anyone's fate to be jammed down the throats of general public.

How is the person sitting next to you eating a kosher or halal meal jamming it down your throat???!

I can't get what you mean about the nice part but her tone was pretty "ordinary". The guy beside me was actually going over to dubai for a holiday, although I did forget to ask him what he planned to do about food once he reached dubai?

Well I assume if he was eating a kosher meal he was somewhat observant...Just wondering how he would be treated on an Emirates flight.

Basically I was wondering if the F/A served him his meal as if it were any other meal, or if he stuck out for ordering a special kosher meal...

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):
If you're Muslim, and follow Halal, you just can't take for granted that all foods labeled as Kosher are acceptable.

Interesting question...I've always been under the assumption that most Muslims do eat kosher food and find it acceptable. Where I live in New York many Muslims buy their meat at kosher butchers....Do you those of you who keep halal readily eat kosher food?

Quoting JFK69 (Reply 29):
I am sure that just like other exotic locations, when requestin a Kosher meal, that it is sent in on a inbound flight and frozen at the destination.

That seems like quite the hassle though (and expensive for the airline).

[Edited 2007-06-01 21:42:36]

jfk69

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 41):
That seems like quite the hassle though (and expensive for the airline).

Nah....if you think about it, then it is quite simple.

You fly from JFK - AUA for example. You leave in jan 1 and return on Jan 5 (Short trip I know).

The airlines either sends one extra meal down on jan 1 and it stays frozen in the caterers freezer in AUA or they send one meal down frozen on the outbound on jan 5 to be served on your return.

I have been to AUA numerous times and got to talk to some who work down there. It seems KSMl is frequently ordered so they have a stockpile from Weiss catering or Wilton (Who is actually Milmar catrerers (Both out of NY).

Hope that helps

Emirates773ER

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:51 am

Do you those of you who keep halal readily eat kosher food?

I do if Halal is not available.

Just wondering how he would be treated on an Emirates flight.

Pretty much like anyone else really, just because someone is a Jew they won't get "the stare". Would be a lot different if he was travelling on Saudi though, now that would be cause for concern.

[Edited 2007-06-01 21:53:22]

mandala499

Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:52 am

Quote:
I highly doubt that a Kosher kitchen is in DXB. I am sure that just like other exotic locations, when requestin a Kosher meal, that it is sent in on a inbound flight and frozen at the destination.

Is it illegal to be a Rabbi in Dubai? If it isn't, they COULD have a Kosher kitchen in DXB...

Quote:
The last time I checked you pay just as much as the next guy that requires no special meal. As far as I know, you're more costly to the airline since you require more special services.

Dude! If the service is offered at no extra cost, then so what? You want a cheaper fare because you have a standard meal, go and find someone who offers that...

Quote:
Airlines incur a major expense catering to all these different groups than can eat this but not that.

Of course not, but airlines are not prohibited from making these choices available at no extra cost to its passengers! If they believe it adds value to the customer, then the extra cost is worth it...

Quote:

Who's jamming what down who's throat here? We're not talking about the minority who demand these things be offered (and yes, there are those who demand the airline know beforehand that they'd like a special meal without the pax even informing the airline)...

If you want a silly example, I'll give you one, I flew on Emirates out of DXB, a pax demanded a Muslim meal despite the fact that the standard meal offered had a Halal seal... Now that's ridiculous! Then there's that guy I flew with years back who wanted Kosher meal on a flight via Dhahran, and he only notified the airline after the aircraft took off from Europe... Again, that's ridiculous! But we're not talking about them on this topic!

I don't see why this topic is absurd... we're just talking about services being offered... and the additional choice of having a Kosher meal being offered on Emirates... we're not talking about religious organization pressurizing Emirates to offer Kosher meal here!

However, there are some absurd comments on this topic...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Flight209

Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:50 am

1. AIUI, the kosher and halal rules have even more differences than what have been mentioned so far. I'm quite certain that halal deems more kinds of animals clean than kosher does; while, for instance, the meat and dairy products of camels are not kosher, they are halal. Also, doesn't halal allow the consumption of meat and dairy in the same meal -- something that I know is off-limits under the kosher rules?

2. We shouldn't automatically assume that Jews are the only kinds of pax who'd want a KSML on an airline flight. I happen to live in a part of the USA where Seventh-Day Adventist Christians are unusually commonplace; roughly half of all SDAs are vegetarians, and the ones who aren't vegetarians nonetheless tend to avoid products of those animals described in Leviticus as unclean, even if such people don't necessarily keep kosher. Also, the popularity of kosher and semi-kosher diets may be growing slowly but surely among evangelical Protestants; Dr. Don Colbert, a Florida physician who seems to have a good-size following among his fellow evangelicals, has written a book titled What Would Jesus Eat?, in which he presents evidence suggesting, among other things, that "unclean" animals have much higher levels of various toxins in their flesh than do "clean" animals and that the kosher shehita slaughtering technique rids the "clean" animals' flesh of toxins, medication residues, etc. more than do other methods of slaughtering. Finally, I'm sure that a few of my fellow Gentiles may prefer a KSML simply for scientific / dietary reasons similar to those expressed in Colbert's book.

3. Who's to say that someone desiring a KSML, MOML, etc. is necessarily a less profitable passenger than someone willing to have a "regular" airline meal? If anything, I'd think that a passenger requesting a meal without certain types of food would allow an airline to spend less money on those "forbidden" foods, and would be unlikely to force an airline to spend extra money to increase the supply of the foods that the passenger would eat.

4. Finally, as long as EK's home country officially forbids Israelis or even any non-Israelis whose passports indicate at least one prior visit to Israel and/or an unused Israeli visa, we shouldn't be surprised at all if EK is so hush-hush about KSMLs.
I may question your opinion, but I'll never question your right to it.

kdeg00

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:17 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 14):
I'm sure that Emirates has quite an amazing catering facility in Dubai, but would find it hard to believe that they would have a separate kosher kitchen to cater KSML's. I think there would be obvious "political" issues

I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that you don't have to be Israeli (or even be a supporter of Israel) to be jewish. There are significant present and historic jewish populations in a number of less obvious countries in the Middle-East and Africa. It would not suprise me at all that EK had kosher catering available in DXB.

Actually when a wine or any alcoholic bevarage is added to food the alcohol within evaporates during the cooking due to a low boiling tempreture.

It's not like alcohol evaporates instantaneously when cooked. There are hundreds preparations that I can think of where the alcohol would not completely burn off before the dish was served.

UAL4ever

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:38 am

For the record, I am a religious/orthodox Jew. People who keep kosher are not allowed to eat Halal because the Halal was not supervised by a Jew whereas Kosher food must be supervised by a Jew throughout the preperation process. Also, there are different restrictions on what type of animals Jews are allowed to eat.
Secondly, I am somewhat shocked by the anti-religious animosity displayed on this forum. I am not quite sure how my personal religious eating habits are inconveniencing other people. Also, the hostility with which these opinions have been expressed bothers me. Someone, please clarify what is so bothersome about me ordering a Kosher meal when I fly? Also, it might be in the airline's interest to serve Kosher meals. I fly 70,000 miles a year on United and I fly Business class internationally.If they stopped serving Kosher meals on their international flights I would be forced to fly a different airline.

soups

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:43 am

Won't be easy just to put a veggie meal?
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

ChinaClipper40

Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:50 am

Isn't the Kosher food like the Halal food?

Interesting question...I've always been under the assumption that most Muslims do eat kosher food and find it acceptable. Where I live in New York many Muslims buy their meat at kosher butchers....Do you those of you who keep halal readily eat kosher food?

It's my personal observation that religiously observant Muslims do accept kosher meat, if halal is not available. A friend of mine was born and raised in Iran before coming to the U.S. for college and graduate school. He settled here, married, and raised a family. Although my friend is what one would call a "lapsed Muslim," his mother back in Iran is very religiously observant. When she came to visit a few years ago, halal meat was not available where my friend and his family live. His mother was completely okay with eating kosher meat instead. She said that it met halal requirements under Muslim religious law. At least the requirements important to her, and she was very observant. That's just my personal observation. Not being Muslim, I obviously defer to those on this thread who are.

ChinaClipper40

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos