keesje
Topic Author

Airbus Lowers National Flags In New Structure

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:20 pm

Airbus, buoyed by new plane orders as it tries to close the gap on resurgent Boeing (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research, unveiled a leaner management on Wednesday aimed at uprooting nationalist rivalries inside the European planemaker.

Sweeping aside national power structures dating back to its birth as a consortium, Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research said it would run most operations and multibillion-dollar programs centrally and halt a chronic overlap between decision-making in different countries.

"This is a completely new in Airbus," Airbus President Louis Gallois said in a joint interview with a group of reporters.

"I don't want to see flags in the company. We don't want to talk about Germany but Bremen or Hamburg; not France but Saint-Nazaire or Nantes. We have to create an Airbus spirit overcoming a national spirit," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSL0712708820070607

A good development IMO.

Now comes reality: Just one CEO, one COO and CFO and the possibility none of them being French.

That' ll be the moment of truth  Wink

In the past the French have been advocated consolidation, european integration etc.

One side line : the rest of Europe has to integrate, they must have the lead. Industry, financers, lawmakers, public and politics all melt together to realize that goal.

It becomes visible if a foreigh company wants to take over a french (old, know, respected) company. France close the lines to prevent it. Financers brought in, laws changed, veto's used. It's deep.

One solution would be IMO to select the next CEO/COO/CFO from non EADS/Airbus countries like Scandinavia, Netherlands, Belgium, Switserland, USA, Canada, whatever. Also incorrect discrimination of course, but probably neccesary for a transition period.

One criteria: his /her french & german language skills should be both good or both bad.

Maybe we can assist. Name your (realistic) candidates.

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Revelation

RE: Airbus Lowers National Flags In New Structure

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting Keesje (Thread starter):
That' ll be the moment of truth

That would be one good step. The second would be having the governments sell off the EADS shares they control to the public, or to spin off Airbus as a 100% publically owned entity.

BTW thanks for the swell photo!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

DAYflyer

Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:59 am

A good development IMO.

Now comes reality: Just one CEO, one COO and CFO and the possibility none of them being French.

As shocking as it sounds, I'm going to agree with you on this one Keesje. A good development for Airbus, and I do hope it works for them. A 100% publically traded company would be better, but they are closing ranks.
One Nation Under God

jwenting

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:11 am

they will ALL be French, or at most some juniors will be German.
The French government and unions won't stand for anything less, they're a de facto (even if not on paper) French company after all.
I wish I were flying

Shenzhen

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:13 am

Saw a little blurb at the end of the story that stated Qantas' Jetstar may make a large Airbus order. Another 20 A320s?

Cheers

bringiton

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:16 am

That statement , definately sounds like airbus managment is looking to take the company in the right direction . The process should be hard but not imposible . Airbus would be far more competitive if they implement this !

solnabo

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting Shenzhen (Reply 4):

"Qantas Jetstar large Airbus order. Another 20 A320?"

My guess is 10 A332 & 10 A320 for Jetstar fleet.

Micke//  twocents 
Airbus SAS - Love them both

Confuscius

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:36 am

One solution would be IMO to select the next CEO/COO/CFO from non EADS/Airbus countries like Scandinavia, Netherlands, Belgium, Switserland, USA, Canada, whatever...

I'd like to nominate Paul Wolfowitz (both CEO & COO) and his girlfriend Shaha Ali Riza as the CFO. Both have experience in international affairs.  Wink
Ain't I a stinker?

DfwRevolution

Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:43 am

I didn't begin following aviation news closely until about 2001-2002, but did Airbus not completely restructure around 1999-2000? It looks like that all-new Airbus lasted less than a decade before the wheels fell off and this latest reorganization is still must contend with the problems of the former leadership. Call me skeptical, but Airbus still has a daunting uphill struggle ahead.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

ContnlEliteCMH

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:08 am

I'll believe this when I see it, and not a second sooner. Cultural changes of this magnitude can take generations to effect, or something far more galvanic -- like a war.

I don't believe that people can change like this under ordinary circumstances, and getting your fanny kicked by a business competitor usually doesn't qualify as "extraordinary" for most rank-and-file people. Plus, there are governments involved. Unless you can fire people for allowing their nationalism to influence their jobs, this is only a sound bite.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

[Edited 2007-06-07 20:08:31]
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

N328KF

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:49 am

Maybe we can assist. Name your (realistic) candidates.

Alan Mulally (after Ford goes LBO or Ch.11)
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

art

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:20 am

One criteria: his /her french & german language skills should be both good or both bad.

There is a wealth of monolingual British talent who would excel at satisfying the second condition, being totally incapable of uttering a word in any language but their own.

We have to create an Airbus spirit overcoming a national spirit

Good idea. Shame it took 30 years to get round to having it.  Smile

hb88

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:59 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 9):
I'll believe this when I see it, and not a second sooner. Cultural changes of this magnitude can take generations to effect, or something far more galvanic -- like a war.

I don't believe that people can change like this under ordinary circumstances, and getting your fanny kicked by a business competitor usually doesn't qualify as "extraordinary" for most rank-and-file people. Plus, there are governments involved. Unless you can fire people for allowing their nationalism to influence their jobs, this is only a sound bite.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

chuckle... I guess you haven't seen the blood on the carpets around most of the Airbus natcos over the past year.

I would believe it. Oh yes. Indeed I would.

NYC777

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:06 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 2):
A good development IMO.

As shocking as it sounds, I'm going to agree with you on this one Keesje. A good development for Airbus, and I do hope it works for them. A 100% publically traded company would be better, but they are closing ranks.

I agree it's agreat step in teh right direction but the challenge is to get the nationalistic loyalties out of the hearts and minds of everyone involved in at Airbus...that's not so easy. But if people truly understand the stakes involved, it can be done.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:39 am

"This is a completely new in Airbus," Airbus President Louis Gallois said in a joint interview with a group of reporters.

"I don't want to see flags in the company. We don't want to talk about Germany but Bremen or Hamburg; not France but Saint-Nazaire or Nantes. We have to create an Airbus spirit overcoming a national spirit," he said.

I hope it works and Airbus gets their act together, but I have my doubts. To me Mr. Gallois statement sounds like something out of a George Orwell novel. Starts out "All animals are created equal" but soon becomes "all animals are created equal, except for pigs"

Until the governments are removed from the day to day operation of the company, there is going to be "nationalism."

Poitin

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:53 am

Airbus, buoyed by new plane orders as it tries to close the gap on resurgent Boeing (BA.N: Quote, Profile, Research, unveiled a leaner management on Wednesday aimed at uprooting nationalist rivalries inside the European planemaker.

Sweeping aside national power structures dating back to its birth as a consortium, Airbus (EAD.PA: Quote, Profile, Research said it would run most operations and multibillion-dollar programs centrally and halt a chronic overlap between decision-making in different countries.

This sounds like the president of SGI making his announcement of the third or fourth reorganization of the firm in 1996. Everyone got a new job, a better title and nothing changed except you where not responsible for what the guy who had your new job did, and of course since you are no longer doing your old job, you are no longer responsible for what you did.

When I see a massive purge of EADS and Airbus, I will believe that that change occured. But until then, I will be a firm believer in the Dilbert factor.

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20070520.html
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos