Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

UAEflyer
Topic Author

Did Air Arabia Order 70 Airbus A/Cs?

Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:57 pm

According to Wikipedia, Air Arabia ordered 20 A319 and 50 A320?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Arabia

I never knew about this order, and our fellows here wouldn't leave such order without posting it in this forum?

Could somebody clarify this please

Many thanks

scbriml

RE: Did Air Arabia Order 70 Airbus A/Cs?

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:42 pm

There was discussion that Air Arabia were looking to significantly increase their fleet, but no, I don't remember reading anything about a decision having been made. Interesting, but unless we get confirmation from a source other than wiki, I'd be inclined to take this with a large pinch of salt.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Thorben

Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:39 pm

That seems more like a long-term plan. They currently have 9 leased A320 in operation, and they haven't ordered a single one themselves.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

scbriml

Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Quoting Thorben (Reply 2):
That seems more like a long-term plan.

Good thought. The recent thread was talking about them looking to place an order for 32 new planes (including replacing their current leased fleet).
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

PEET7G

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:41 am

To be honest one of my candidates for the 62 739ER order placed on the 25th of May, was Air Arabia. They did state that they are in talks with both manufacturers, and the 9 leased A320s might not mean nothing since their plan is to replace these frames together with an order for expansion... although 62 frames is quit a big leap as they are looking for 32 if my memory serves me right, but who knows... we have seen bigger surprises from that part of the Globe  Wink
Peet7G

yowza

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting PEET7G (Reply 4):
To be honest one of my candidates for the 62 739ER order placed on the 25th of May, was Air Arabia.

I doubt it. They have signed a long term maintenance agreement with a third party to service 320 family aircraft. Sure the contract could be broken but why go through that hassle plus the hassle of finding and recruiting 737 crews as well as running two types. Doesn't work for me. My 2c.

YOWza

PipoA380

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:25 am

http://www.airbus.com/en/corporate/orders_and_deliveries/#

The Airbus official excel sheet of orders and deliveries says 9 A320 operated, but 0 on order...
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

newagebird

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:24 pm

That will be the 3rd major airline operating out of the UAE in terms of fleet size. I cant believe they still fill the seats! good on them, wonder if that bubble will ever burst.

PEET7G

Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 5):
I doubt it. They have signed a long term maintenance agreement with a third party to service 320 family aircraft. Sure the contract could be broken but why go through that hassle plus the hassle of finding and recruiting 737 crews as well as running two types. Doesn't work for me. My 2c.

YOWza

As much as I agree with you, and I too think they will go the A32X way, however the CEO himself said it is an open race, and operating two types would not be an issue as their order is also aimed to replace the 9 leased A320s too. In case of an order this size I think the cost of that small crew training and induction of a new type in terms of maintenance could be offset by a good deal or a better performing aircraft.

From my personal point of view I would love the 737s as they are my favorite single-aisle aircraft, but one other reason I am secretly hoping for the 737s is that I happen to hopp around the Middle-East a lot and simply would love a more diverse fleet in that area as there is almost only the A32Xs to choose from when it comes to single-aisle planes. As much as I can think of, it is only Oman Air to fly the 737 in the region.  Sad

...but all that said, you are probably right. This deal's most likely candidate is the A320 family.
Peet7G

yowza

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Quoting PEET7G (Reply 8):
it is only Oman Air to fly the 737 in the region. Sad

...but all that said, you are probably right. This deal's most likely candidate is the A320 family.

Well nothing's 100%.

You should give IY a try.They fly in the region and operate 3 737s. I flew one DOH - ADN - SAH last year.

YOWza

PEET7G

Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 9):
Well nothing's 100%.

You should give IY a try.They fly in the region and operate 3 737s. I flew one DOH - ADN - SAH last year.

YOWza

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately Yemen is totally out of my destinations and I don't think connecting thru Yemen is an option either, maybe as our company expands in the region...  Wink
Peet7G

HECA

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:53 pm

As much as I can think of, it is only Oman Air to fly the 737 in the region.

MS operates new 738s in the region!
KL, LH, LX, BA, AF, TK, UX, TP, AZ, HV, SK, IB, WX, UA, AA, US, DL, AC, LA, KQ, MS, 4D, ZA, RJ, QR, EK, CX, HX, JL, SQ, MH, FY, MU, CA, TG, UL, FD, K6

scbriml

Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:56 pm

As much as I can think of, it is only Oman Air to fly the 737 in the region.

There are lots of 737 operators flying in and out of DXB. Most of them are probably not what you would consider "Tier 1" airlines and most of the 737s are Classics, but hey, you didn't say you were fussy. wink 

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:30 pm

Quoting Scbriml (Reply 3):
Quoting Thorben (Reply 2):
That seems more like a long-term plan.

Good thought. The recent thread was talking about them looking to place an order for 32 new planes (including replacing their current leased fleet).

In my opinion you are both close to the mark there but their requirement will be for 50 frames to be ordered and not 70

By Gautam Chakravorthy
June 13 (Bloomberg) -- Air Arabia, a low-cost airline based in the United Arab Emirates, plans to buy 50 single-aisle aircraft from Boeing Co. or Airbus SAS, increasing an earlier purchase plan.

The airline will arrive at a decision on the purchase this year, Adel Ali, the carrier's chief executive officer said in Mumbai today where he is attending a conference. The carrier had earlier planned to expand its fleet to 34 aircraft by 2016.

The airline is setting up two additional hubs, he said.

[END - Fair use excerpt http://www.bloomberg.com Navigate to the story via EADS.

Regards, PanAm_DC10
Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos