Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

highliner2
Topic Author

MDW-EWR Down To Twice Daily

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:09 am

I see CO has downgraded MDW-EWR to twice daily, at least it's still with 735's during peak days. AA and UA have already left, and CO drove FL off the route, just the same, I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of MDW ops for CO.
Go Cubs!

WDBRR

RE: MDW-EWR Down To Twice Daily

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:13 pm

I think this has to do with Kiwi no longer being in business
and flying this route and ATA dropping EWR.

Tornado82

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Quoting Highliner2 (Thread starter):
I see CO has downgraded MDW-EWR to twice daily, at least it's still with 735's during peak days.

IIRC this happened months ago. I sniffed around at that routing when I lived in ABE and was always heading to LAF. It was 2x 735 then, but dirt cheap thanks to FL competition back then.

LGAtoIND

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:39 pm

I would not be shocked if CO followed in the footsteps of other legacies and eventually discontinued MDW operations.

Tornado82

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 3):

I would not be shocked if CO followed in the footsteps of other legacies and eventually discontinued MDW operations.

The whole domestic Skyteam is there right now though.

STT757

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 1):
I think this has to do with Kiwi no longer being in business
and flying this route and ATA dropping EWR.

Huh?

They beefed up the EWR-MDW flights to fight off Airtran, it worked FL pulled the flights. I think EWR-MDW will stick around, although they may go al ERJs.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

LGAtoIND

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 4):
The whole domestic Skyteam is there right now though.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that what I said is also true, OTHER legacies have left and chose to consolidate operations at ORD. Plus, DL has technically left MDW, since I believe they have no more mainline flights there. I know they sell flights on regional codeshares, but Delta aircraft do not serve the airport anymore.

Plus, I don't see how it is really relevant that other Skyteam partners still serve MDW It isn't like CO books passengers from EWR-MDW to connect to a NW flight from MDW-MSP.

indywa

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 6):
Plus, DL has technically left MDW, since I believe they have no more mainline flights there. I know they sell flights on regional codeshares, but Delta aircraft do not serve the airport anymore.

Not to sound rude, but why does everyone get so picky about this? To the majority of the public, Delta Connection is still just Delta, same with UA, CO, etc. etc. You still get your miles credited, arrive in the respective airlines' terminal, serve Delta snacks and so on. So Delta still has a presence in MDW, albeit operated by Conx aircraft.

asuflyer05

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting STT757 (Reply 5):

Huh?

They beefed up the EWR-MDW flights to fight off Airtran, it worked FL pulled the flights. I think EWR-MDW will stick around, although they may go al ERJs.

I thought they beefed up MDW when TZ started flying it. IRC TZ also attempted EWR-SFO as well.

Mexicana757

Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:39 pm

I don't see CO leaving MDW anytime soon. Since all the gates on concourse C belong to them. They have the leases for all three gates there.

Quoting STT757 (Reply 5):
They beefed up the EWR-MDW flights to fight off Airtran

By adding one flight i dont see it as having "beefed" up on flights. Five flights I would say its beefed up. FL and CO were basically running three flights each. And some days of the week that CO third flight was on the ERJ145.

highliner2
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:34 pm

At its peak I want to say it was 4 daily with 3 735 and the mid-day flight was indeed an ERJ-145. CLE also has 3x I believe, all with ERJ. I wonder why no IAH.

-jlk
Go Cubs!

STT757

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:09 pm

I thought it was five daily at it's peak.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

JBLUA320

Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Quoting Asuflyer05 (Reply 8):
I thought they beefed up MDW when TZ started flying it. IRC TZ also attempted EWR-SFO as well.

I think you are right about TZ and MDW, but yes, TZ definitely did fly EWR-SFO, albeit for a short time only. I think CO worried more about TZs opportunities at MDW because of their WN connection, whereas CO and FL shared the pain when FL entered the market. Neither airline is doing (or did, in FLs case) exceptionally well on the route-- some of FL's numbers were just plain dismal. Since CO has the gates, I doubt they'll pull MDW... but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go all ERJ in off-peak times. As long as they are paying rent, and can break even with SOME equipment on the route, there's no reason to quit for now, is there? If any airline was going to make it work out of EWR of all places, it was going to be CO.

Just my 2 pennies

JBLU

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting LGAtoIND (Reply 3):

Why? AA and UA are completely different than the other legacies, and US was never more than a bit player at MDW. CO, DL, and NW are much better-established and in much better competitive positions.

Plus, DL has technically left MDW, since I believe they have no more mainline flights there.

I'd take a 170 over mainline any day of the week. So if you want to get technical, sure, but if you want to talk about what benefits passengers, this seems really pedantic.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MDW717

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:22 pm

It isn't like CO books passengers from EWR-MDW to connect to a NW flight from MDW-MSP.

I haven't seen that one, but I have seen CLE-MDW-MSP. I have even seen NW connect their own passengers DTW-MDW-MSP and had online travel agencies offer me ATL-MDW-MSP on DL/NW. NW must have a very low, very combinable fare on MDW-MSP to compete with FL that is encouraging all this low-yield connecting traffic.