Anetter123
Topic Author

Question To Those Who Have Flown On SQ21 EWR-SIN

Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:52 am

Hey everyone,

For those of you who have taken SQ21 EWR-SIN or SQ 22 SIN-EWR.....what on earth does one do to cope with such a long flight?...LOL. I mean there is only so much one can sleep/read/eat/watch on the PVT's etc...LOL.

Granted its great to go nonstop, but 18-19 hours in the air is just overwhelming. Do many of you prefer the nonstop, or after taking one this long you would prefer a stopover next time?

Back in 2001 I took UA's 895 ORD-HKG which is 15 hours and about 20 minutes (when I took it). My trip started in MIA, so I had already flown for 2 1/2 hours which ain't nothing of course. By the time I got to HKG I was a mess...LOL.

Back then the UA 895 flight was one of the longest in the world and doesn't compare to any of the long-haul's (or should I say ULTRA long-haul's) we have today. Now we have ATL-DXB, JFK-BOM, IAD-JNB, JFK-BKK, SYD-DXB, some serious ultra-long haul flying these days!

Big grin

star_world

RE: Question To Those Who Have Flown On SQ21 EWR-SIN

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:13 am

Have done both EWR-SIN-EWR and SIN-LAX in J, and yes both are very long flights. The only thing to do is try to get a full night's sleep if possible, don't eat too much and spend the rest of the time watching movies, TV programs, etc. The AVOD system on SQ is pretty good, there's a wide choice of things to watch. Oh and make sure your iPod is charged  Smile

It's not quite as bad as you might think though. And keep in mind that the SQ ultra-LH flights don't have regular Y, so even if you're in the back you have quite a bit of room.

Reggaebird

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:20 am

When I flew the route, I had a great way of passing the time with the satellite-based onboard wireless internet access provided through Connexions-by-Boeing. It was really cool to e-mail or IM your loved ones from 37,000 ft. Unfortunately, the service was a commercial failure for Boeing and they turned it off in December 2006. Rumor has it that several companies are working to replace the service for those airlines that had made the huge investment.

Reggaebird

kulatict

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:42 am

it was more than 3 years ago..but then i flew in from ICT-DFW-EWR & then waited for few hours in EWR... anyway, the seat was wider, lots of AVOD movie... but then i spent about 3/4 hours at the back lounge area talking to Singapore Girls & fellow passengers & eating snacks... the plane itself is quiet so should not be huge problem to sleep  Smile

ikramerica

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 am

First, this has been discussed a lot. Though you laugh a lot, LOL, which is nice, it's still the same tired question: "who would want to fly for 18 hours" and then the usual answers will be "I do" (my answer and others as well) vs. "I much prefer to stop and stretch my legs and shop and think the world agrees."

Only way to think of it is: you spend 18 hours at home if you have the flu, usually 3-5 times longer.

This is no different, other than you AREN'T sick, you get people bringing you food and drink, and when the 18 hours are up, you are 1/2 way around the world!

break it down:
2 hours for takeoff and landing and all the prep
2 hours for meals
8 hours total for sleep

That means you only need to kill 6 hours. Read a book, watch some more movies or a few TV episodes, bring a sudoku puzzle book or crossword. I've killed 6 hours at an airport doing nothing, and I've survived 14 hour flights, so I can't see how another 4 hours which includes another meal and time for a nap is going to make or break my trip.

My guess is the people who won't do 18 also have trouble with 13-14, while those who think 13-14 are no problem can handle 18 just fine. Back in the day, as a 10 year old kid I flew EWR-JFK-SFO-HKG-SIN on PA without AVOD or personal video or audio, and we were one row from the smoking section. The walkman was brand new, and we did pick one up in Singapore (an AIWA) for a good price for the return, but had nothing to play on it except thriller and men at work. IFE was piped in audio channels with those awful headsets and a couple movies projected onto a far away screen (blame it on rio was one, IIRC). The comedy audio channel was a big help. Bill Cosby's bit about "Jeffrey" on the airplane who was "fo yeahs ode" was fantastic. The 747SP was not very stable over the pacific, and we were rocking, swaying and bumping the whole way. Yet somehow I made it through.

I think today's AVOD equipped, turbulence mitigating planes offer a better experience, so maybe some people have become soft?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

artsyman

Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:57 am

I did this flight, and a number if similar flights last year (JFK-BKK, EWR-HKG, LAX-SIN, BKK-JFK). I always make a point of missing sleep the night before. I get on the plane exhausted, eat dinner, have a drink, then sleep for about 13 hours straight. I then wake up with only a few to go. The funny thing is on SQ, If you wake up and go to the bathroom, the crew run over and fold your blanket when you are in the bathroom.

Viscount724

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:08 am

Quoting Anetter123 (Thread starter):
Granted its great to go nonstop, but 18-19 hours in the air is just overwhelming. Do many of you prefer the nonstop, or after taking one this long you would prefer a stopover next time?

When TWA started the first U.S. west coast-Europe nonstop flights LAX/SFO-LHR in 1957 with the Lockheed L1649A Starliner, the final and longest-range variant of the Super Constellation, those flights were sometimes airborne as long as 23 hours especially westbound with headwinds. And that was with 4 piston engines thundering away and no inflight entertainment of any kind. I think the typical flyiing times were about 19 hrs. eastbound and 21 hrs. westbound.

Excerpt from the Wikipedia article on the Constellation series:

On 29 September 1957, an L-1649A Starliner flew from Los Angeles to London in 18 hours and 32 minutes. The L-1649A still holds the record for the longest-duration non-stop passenger flight — during TWA's inaugural London to San Francisco flight on 1-2 October 1957, the aircraft stayed aloft for a remarkable 23 hours and 19 minutes.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Armstrong
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mel Lawrence

star_world

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 2):
When I flew the route, I had a great way of passing the time with the satellite-based onboard wireless internet access provided through Connexions-by-Boeing. It was really cool to e-mail or IM your loved ones from 37,000 ft. Unfortunately, the service was a commercial failure for Boeing and they turned it off in December 2006. Rumor has it that several companies are working to replace the service for those airlines that had made the huge investment.

As far as I know the A345s never had the Connexion system installed?? It certainly wasn't there on any of my SQ A345 flights...

Used this a few times on the 744 though - definitely a good service. There is another service now available that is expected to become more widely available in the near future - check out this link: http://www.informationweek.com/softw...wArticle.jhtml?articleID=199901793

Anetter123
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:16 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 4):
First, this has been discussed a lot. Though you laugh a lot, LOL, which is nice, it's still the same tired question: "who would want to fly for 18 hours" and then the usual answers will be "I do" (my answer and others as well) vs. "I much prefer to stop and stretch my legs and shop and think the world agrees."

Hey Ikramerica thanks for your thoughts and ideas on the topic. I'm new to airliners.net and as you can see or probably tell by my profile - I don't post a whole lot here so I never know what gets discussed alot or has been already.

Anywho I agree with your breakdown on the course of the flight. Of course for me when I took UA 895, I decided to stay up the whole night before (not a smart move obviously). I was awake 10 out of the 15 1/2 hour flight!...LOL! I was also flying in C class but it didn't make a difference...after flying that long a C class seat to me feels almost like a Y seat at the end..LOL!

Then again we are talking about UA's C class, not SQ's or CX's...LOL.

roseflyer

Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:36 am

Trip reports is a good section to check. Here are two reports that I wrote about the journey on the longest flight in the world.
United/Singapore ORD-EWR-SIN In Raffles Class (by RoseFlyer Oct 17 2005 in Trip Reports)
SQ/UA SIN-EWR-ORD Raffles Class (stranded In EWR) (by RoseFlyer Oct 24 2005 in Trip Reports)

The EWR-SIN leg is much better than the SIN-EWR leg. I did enjoy the flight and am proud to say that I have been on the longest flight in the world. It really didn’t feel that long and unbearable. I have been on much shorter flights that felt much worse. SQ is a great airline. I highly recommend that if you need to go to Singapore that you fly on SQ on one of their nonstop flights. The flight isn’t unbearably long, and the executive economy is definitely a lot nicer than regular economy and will leave you more refreshed. The service is great, and the plane is comfortable. Also it is nice to go on a long haul flight with such a small crowd at boarding and baggage claim. I really liked the EWR-SIN flight because it was long enough to sit down and relax and then have a full dinner. I sleep well on planes and was able to get a good 10 hours of sleep in. After that, I watched a movie and had breakfast. I was almost in SIN at that point. It was a very enjoyable redeye unlike flights from the US to Europe that are too short to get enough sleep in.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BigOrange

Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:26 am

No way would I do it!! Flying 8 hours is long enough for me. I'd sooner have a 24 hour stopover somewhere and then continue on the next day. If it took me 3 days to get there and 3 back, I'd be happy!

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:30 am

It's something that has to do with your personality probably. I have no problem with it, actually I find being in a plane for a long time really calming. The engine noise is like a white noise machine, and even if you can't sleep most likely everyone else is so you're not bothered by too much movement. I like to stand by a door with a drink and look out the window after the meal service when people start to get settled. However, if you have a phobia I imagine it's not the place to be.
oh boy, here we go!!!

skyhigh777

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 am

I did the IAD-JNB flight last summer and it was extremely long, considering you stop in Dakar to refuel and you can't get off the plane. On the way home the fuel stop lasted almost two hours, so the total amount of time I was on the plane was just over 20 hours, which became pretty unbearable. Honestly, what I did was take a couple of sleeping pills, catch up on some movies, and read a few books. Of course I was seated in Y on South African Airways, which is not nearly as nice as SQ's Y class configuration for EWR-SIN. I would love to try that flight out some time.

Anetter123
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting SkyHigh777 (Reply 12):
I did the IAD-JNB flight last summer and it was extremely long, considering you stop in Dakar to refuel and you can't get off the plane.

Oh man, I totally feel for those going to JNB - especially on DL 767's! I haven't been on DL in a few years, so not sure if they have revamped their Y product or if their seats are still the same - no headrests/PVT's etc. I hear a flew flights that head south to JNB actually make it nonstop (the one from IAD I believe). But the return always warrants a stop in DKR.

If the flight passes through night time, this is surely a plus for sleeping purposes, because when I took UA 895 ORD-HKG, the westbound flys through daytime the whole flight. Then of course you've got those who love watching clouds for the whole 15 hours and don't close their shades, so this can be quite a nuisance.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
When TWA started the first U.S. west coast-Europe nonstop flights LAX/SFO-LHR in 1957 with the Lockheed L1649A Starliner, the final and longest-range variant of the Super Constellation, those flights were sometimes airborne as long as 23 hours especially westbound with headwinds. And that was with 4 piston engines thundering away and no inflight entertainment of any kind. I think the typical flyiing times were about 19 hrs. eastbound and 21 hrs. westbound.

This is incredible. Those planes don't even look like they have the range or capability to be in the air that long, absolutely incredible!

I will certainly try SQ in the near future if I ever go back to SIN. From all the sources and tI've read, they certainly seem to have a very good/comfortable product and quite few ever complain about them.

COEWR787

RE: Question To Those Who Have Flown On SQ21 EWR-S

Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:25 am

I have done EWR - SIN twice and SIN - EWR twice. The flight in each case was very comfortable and I had no problem spending the time sleeping some, reading books and playing with the AVOD system some and spending several hours in the buffet area in the back chatting with people. What I found truly interesting about the flight from EWR to SIN was the vastly different routes that the two flight took. One went across the Atlantic, via Europe, Ukraine, the Stans, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and across the Bay of Bengal, and the other one went straight North from EWR across the North Pole and down through Russia and China flying right over Chengdu.

Anetter123
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting COEWR787 (Reply 14):
What I found truly interesting about the flight from EWR to SIN was the vastly different routes that the two flight took. One went across the Atlantic, via Europe, Ukraine, the Stans, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and across the Bay of Bengal, and the other one went straight North from EWR across the North Pole and down through Russia and China flying right over Chengdu.

Wow those are pretty interesting routes! The common one I thought it took was over the north pole, then enter Russia and head straight south!

I wonder which route the JFK-BKK flight takes or if its similar?

boacvc10

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:33 am

what on earth does one do to cope with such a long flight?

• Chat with the cabin crew, some of the them are really well educated and smart
  • Make friends on the flight, look for a handy meeting lounge at the rear of the aircraft, with lots of snacks
  • Read the menu card, when offered and make sure you choose the "healthy" marked items !
    If you have any food restrictions, update your PNR with a SQ Agent, so you have your choice of meals.
  • If you are travelling with a partner, or family, make sure you get a block of seats assigned, but remember, the SQ A345 a/c has a seat-phone in every seat, and you can make calls from one seat to another.
  • I always make a point to (on the SQ EWR/SIN/EWR flights) to call my kids/friends from the "top of the world". Expensive, but fun to say, "I'm passing over the North Pole while I am talking to you".
    One time, I impressed my 5 year old by describing to her on the phone as to what countries I am flying over and when. She used it to draw a map and show it to me.
  • Lookup the movies in the extensive IFE, and then make sure you see them on BOTH legs of the outbound/inbound, alternatively. That way, you could catch up with all the blockbusters you missed in real theaters.
  • BUY a "over the ear", sound cancelling headphone set if you can, or a regular "over the ear" headset for comfort and get the air travel adapter.
  • I believe all Y seats have 110VAC power plugs, fire up your laptop or PDA and play games, or do work, or do something.
  • Do not eat much before you get on this flight, they have at least three courses (2 major, 1 light) over the span of the flights, according to the time of departure, but you can always negotiate with the cabin crew when you want your meals served - and also, you can sneak to the back to pickup some good stuff from the open trays.
  • Drink water. Drink non-sugar fruit juice. Drink a lot.
  • You may differ, but I like walking around the cabin in the SQ supplied over-sock sock, barefeet so that I can stretch my legs and keep my body active. I actually sleep better on board after a walk around the cabin.
  • Remember to get miles credited to your FF account!
  • Wear a long sleeved comfortable shirt (cotton, with open collar) or have it with you when you get on board, you may find it a bit chilly at altitude.
  • The seats recline generously, I suggest you use them. I don't like the extended foot rests, but I do like just the foot rests off of the seat in front of me.
  • If you are short on toiletries when you get onboard, SQ stocks the Y class lavatories with a drawer containing free toothbrush, etc. Also mouth freshener is readily available and recommended on long flights, if you have a early a.m. meeting in SQ.

BOACVC10
Up, up and Away!

kl911

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:39 am

Do many of you prefer the nonstop, or after taking one this long you would prefer a stopover next time?

I'm a smoker, figure it out.....  Smile

OGGFBORefueler

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:04 am

I'd DO it, but I just don't have the money TO do it...lol

Aloha!
Keone  cool 
BPA Emp#0254/AOA Badge#69879

georgiaame

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:17 am

LAX-SIN was one of the easiest flights I've ever made. First of all, cabin service is amazing. We flew premium econ, and that 20" wide seat is better than Delta's 18" Business Elite, although the leg rest left much to be wanted. Perish the thought you walk past the galley, the crew jumps to attention, and they fight as to who can get you to eat another snack. The movies were great. Fall asleep in the middle, you just watch it again. Read a book. Eat some more. My only strong suggestion is NOT to shave using their amenities kit. I made that mistake about 4-5 hours into the flight, and came away a bloody mess. Men should not shave on flying aircraft.

It is really hard to believe, but it is a very easy trip, in some ways easier than flying the East Coast to Europe. Even my wife who hates to travel thought so. I've been to Singapore three times now. First flight NW economy 747 with a connection in Tokyo. Second was the SIN non stop via LAX, and last year, Delta BusinessElite rt ATL-Tokyo, then on with SIN. I'm looking forward to trip #4, but it is going to be EWR-SIN non stop, or I ain't going, and it matters not a wit if its in Business or Premium Econ. The flight was that good. Have a great time, it's a great city, and a great way to get there. And if you need a tailor...
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

Sketty222

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:41 am

I would like to try it. the longest flight Ive taken would be a MIA-LHR or a BGI-LGW, so only 8 or 9 hours.
I believe that the if you take a flight that is 16-18 hours in length it will make the 12-14 our flights seem a lot shorter.

I dont sleep on planes so dont know if I would find it hard or not. I do like eating and drinking on planes but the drinks are normally alcoholic which isnt for the best on a flight of such a duration.

I hope that I can do this flighht in the future and to be honest dont know if I will like it or not. One thing for sure is that I will be happy to have taken the longest flight in the world

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

LAXdude1023

Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:58 am

I have flown LAX-SIN nonstop twice. I imagine its similar to the EWR-SIN flight (maybe a little shorter). Singapore airlines is great and the service is incredable!!! My advice is to try and sleep as much as possible on the way there!!! My problem is that I dont sleep on planes. It was a great flight, but I didnt sleep much and that made it hard. To be honest, the next time I go to SIN, I will stop somewhere like TPE, NRT, or HKG.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

ba286

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:12 am

Forget what they all said. They have free alcohol on board (dont they?). Take advantage of it. Get wasted. Who cares if you have the worst hang over ever the next day!
 Big grin  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
E190 A318 A319 A320 A343 ATR42 717 732 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 772 DC-10 MD-11

coolfeet77

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:51 am

Fo what it's worth, I seriously considered flying EWR-SIN-MNL return (Dec 07 trip) but decided to take the JFK-FRA-SIN-MNL return instead. My decision was based purely on prolonging my first-time experience flying SIA than anything else.

ardian

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:59 am

Oh I would definitely love to fly on this route with SQ. Their IFE is amazing: for a movie junkie like me it's probably heaven on earth Bring my mp3-player with loads of music, books, sleeping, eating, silent cabin. Yeah 18 hours.. piece of cake for me

[Edited 2007-06-13 02:59:48]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos