Transtar
Topic Author

For Qantas Historians

Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:26 pm

I flew Qantas way back in the mid-1980s on a trip from Los Angeles to Cairns via Honolulu (with a two-day layover in Honolulu) and back from Sydney with landing stops in Brisbane (did not deplane), Cairns (deplaned and may or may not have changed aircraft), and Honlulu (deplaned and may or may not have changed aircraft).

The trip, I believe was in the Spring of 1986, but it may have been a year later. At the time, I was 12 years old.

We traveled to Cairns because Qantas had recently started providing international flights from the new int'l airport there. Cairns was a tiny little town, with only a few small hotels and had very few international tourists. I know that has significantly changed since then.

I had a number of questions about my journey and Qantas operations at the time:

1. I know that at the time of our trip Qantas had received the first few Boeing 747-300s and they were in the new livery. (None of the planes I flew on had been repainted). What routes were they operated on? It did not appear that they flew through Honolulu on the US-Australia routes, but I am not sure.

2. I flew both the 747-200B and 747SP over the course of my trip. I know the LAX-HNL route was not an 747SP and am pretty sure the HNL-Cairns route was not an SP. However, on the return, I know I boarded the SP in Sydney, but cannot remember whether we reboarded an SP in Cairns or Honolulu or a -200B. Did Qantas ever fly its SPs on the Cairns-HNL route or the HNL-LAX route? I vaguely remember the difference between the flap operations on the flights.

3. All the planes I went on had the old 1970s cabin. Did the final 747-200Bs delivered in very early 1980s have that type of cabin?

4. How many of the Rolls Royce-fitted 747-200Bs did Qantas receive? Were they the later deliveries and would there have been a noticeable difference between the cabins of the -200Bs with RRs or the -200Bs with P&W? Fundamentally, would a passenger notice a difference?

5. How long did Qantas operate the HNL-Cairns route? I also remember that it seemed that Qantas (and a myriad of other Asian carriers) had quite an operation at HNL, with multiple transit flights. I guess that wound down with the advent of the 747-400.

Any comments/answers on any of my questions would be greatly appreciated. I am so obsessed with that trip because it was my first international trip, first flight on a foreign carrier, and first flight on a 747 (and, most importantly, only flight on a 747SP).

I also flew domestically on Ansett from Cairns-Townsville-Syndey on a 737-200 Advanced. Also a great and very unique flight.

miami1

RE: For Qantas Historians

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:32 am

The interiors of the 742s did differ. I am not sure the RRs had lower lobe galleys - certainly not in their later years.

The outboard o/heads on the RRs were the larger ones seen in the SP. Older generation of the ones seen in the -300 and -400 series. The inboard ones were the same as the PWs.

PW interior

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ian Kirby

SP interior (to show the o/head design)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

I could have sworn the RRs had the older style sidewall panels as on the PWs though this picture leaves me in doubt

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben sheriff

The -300s had the older style sidewalls and they were delivered after the SPs and 742s. I thought it was only the SPs with those sidewalls? In the Qantas fleet anyway. Perhaps they were refitted at some point?

Transtar
Topic Author

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:24 pm

I also noticed that Qantas had at least one combi-version of the RR -200B. What routes did that fly?

flashflyguy

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting TranStar (Reply 2):
I also noticed that Qantas had at least one combi-version of the RR -200B. What routes did that fly?

I flew on the combi in either Feb '86 or Feb '87 SYD-HNL-SFO. Although, from memory, it was used on a variety of routes at the time, due to freight requirements. I will say it was odd to see a wall at the back of the cabin, when you were used to flying on a standard 747, it strangely made the plane feel shorter. I think they had two originally and one went to AC.

Transtar
Topic Author

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:18 am

Another question:

Did Qantas' 747-200B have the circular stairway up to the second deck or did they adopt the straight stairs? I know the straight stairs were an option (they weren't straight like on the -300s or -400s, but had a curve in the middle and originated behind the nose first class section), but wasn't sure if their later -200Bs had them.

Also, does anyone out there have any seatplans for Qantas in the mid-1980s, 1984-1986. I remember they had them in their inflight magazine, but lost the copy I originally grabbed as a kid.

TranStar

ClassicLover

Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting TranStar (Reply 4):
Did Qantas' 747-200B have the circular stairway up to the second deck or did they adopt the straight stairs? I know the straight stairs were an option (they weren't straight like on the -300s or -400s, but had a curve in the middle and originated behind the nose first class section), but wasn't sure if their later -200Bs had them.

All QF 742s came with a spiral staircase as they were all in service before the 743s.

I have seat plans from about 1987 at home in Australia, but since I am in Ireland, I have no access to them. It was a big A4 size book that had info about travel classes and the seat plans
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

VHXLR8

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:49 am

Quoting TranStar (Reply 2):

Qantas had 2 747 200Combis (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). They were eventually converted into standard passenger 742s sometime in the late 90s. The last routes they flew as combis were usually SYD/AKL/PPT/LAX and SYD/CNS/HNL/LAX (without the CNS stop on the return flights).

AJ

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Quoting VHXLR8 (Reply 6):
Qantas had 2 747 200Combis (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Rightio! It was actually three. VH-ECA was a JT9D powered 747-238B(SCD) and was sold to Air Canada in 1988 as C-GAGC. VH-ECB and ECC were both RB211 powered 747-238B(SCD)s which were converted to full passenger versions before being retired in 2003.

View Large View Medium

Photo © George Canciani

VHXLR8

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:03 pm

Quoting AJ (Reply 7):
Rightio! It was actually three. VH-ECA was a JT9D powered 747-238B(SCD) and was sold to Air Canada in 1988 as C-GAGC. VH-ECB and ECC were both RB211 powered 747-238B(SCD)s which were converted to full passenger versions before being retired in 2003.

Haha, thanks mate!!  Smile In my defence, I was 8 years old when VH-ECA was sold to AC  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos