Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jimyvr
Topic Author

Detroit: Most Miserable Airport In The US

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:12 am

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech...les/070530/30travel.largetable.htm

U.S. News & World Reports conducted a list of the most miserable airports in the US.

The table ranks the 47 largest hub and nonhub airports according to a combination of on-time performance and average load factor. The airports with the highest Airport Misery Index have the worst combination of late and crowded flights.

1. Detroit
2. Chicago O'Hare
3. Charlotte
4. JFK
5. Newark
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

drgmobile

RE: Detroit: Most Miserable Airport In The US

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:25 am

on-time performance and average load factor hardly seems like a good measure of "airport misery." On-time performance is important for passengers, but load factor?

With an easy to navigate layout and great shops and restaurants, Detroit is my favorite U.S. airport for transiting through.

isitsafenow

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:33 am

Another joke survey by folks who justify why they have a job.....in other words more garbage in.
More than half of these airports listed are NOT hubs. I use DTW at least once a month(RT) and
the delays are minimal compared to the old building. I can not remember the last time I went thru
ORD and was not late coming or going. I think it was in 1987 or 88.
Fewer delays at EWR? You gotta be kidding here.
safe  confused 
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

ejmmsu

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:39 am

This makes no sense at all. The McNamera terminal is the nicest terminal in the country, and delays are minimal at DTW. Not sure where this is coming from.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

as739x

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:43 am

Wow, the Bay Area does very impressive.

1. Oakland
3. San Jose
12. Sacramento (counted as Bay Area by some)
24. San Francisco

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Lufthansa

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:50 am

L A X

I don't care what the article says... went thru the TB international terminal a few weeks ago and I've been in better airports in bankrupt 3rd world countries.... a joke! yes they're doing something.. but its appalling. shocking I tell you. that one gets my vote. LAX is the most important pacific gateway... and in so many ways is 2nd only to JFK in importance in the country. its a dump! places like DEN and SLC crap all over it.

BUFjets

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:52 am

For me, it's all about the terminal and the employees. The McNamara Terminal at DTW is very nice. I don't mind being there.

The worst for me: PHL, hands down.

flyf15

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:54 am

I go into DTW fairly often. That McNamera terminal is indeed very nice. It could use a few more options for food (especially on the B/C concourse), but otherwise it is a great terminal and a pleasure to fly to.

The Smith terminal, on the other hand, is pile of junk. But, it has less than a year before it is replaced and apparently the new north terminal complex will be even nicer than the McNamera terminal.

The airport itself is a very large and very efficient airport. They've got 2 runways closed down right now for construction but it is still capable of handling massive loads of airplanes. In full operation, aircraft are capable of doing simultaneous parallel ILS approaches while simultaneous parallel departures are in progress. Aircraft are not required to cross active runways to depart/arrive and takeoffs and landings are not done on the same runway at the same time (unless it is advantageous). Not too many other airports can claim that.

All in all, this survey is bogus. Detroit has one of our country's better airports.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:06 am

Well, I was about ready to flame the heck out of the original poster until I saw that it wasn't their opinion, but it was in fact another one of these garbage surveys that creates rankings based on irrelevant data and then makes broad based conclusions.

On-Time Factor Rank + Load Factor Rank = Misery Factor

Its no secret that every airline is running at a very high load factor these days, particulary the legacies, and NW is running at the highest load factor of them all. I'm not really sure how that creates "misery" There is minimal difference to the average passenger between a 75% and 85% load factor. Load factor is an average at that, and in reality, basically every flight is near full these days, except for some off-peak flights at odd times, or midweek (primarily for repositioning), that help pull down the load factor. The average load factor for Monday mornings, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturday mornings, and Sunday afternoon/evening in reality is probably about 90%-95% across the board.

Plus you are lumping together different airlines at different terminals. Who's to say your experience on NK at DTW will be the same as NW at DTW. Same can be said for AA at ORD vs. UA at ORD vs. CO at ORD.

High load factor on a plane doesn't necessarily mean overcrowded terminals. A better comparsion (although really pointless) would be passengers to terminal square footage.

Plus, you are using 4 months worth of on-time data (Jan-April) which due to WINTER WEATHER in the northern airports, heavily biases the on-time performance for northern airports. And we all know there were some horrendous travel days this past winter in the Midwest & Northeast. All of which is a moot point for summer travel plans. Hence, why data for the past 12 months would be a better indicator.

[Edited 2007-06-13 18:09:03]

NASCARAirforce

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:08 am

To Quote Comic Book Guy - "Worst. Survey. Ever."

How can they title this "Most Miserable Airport" especially Detroit, when it has been in the top 5 of every poll. True, you could have said that about the Davey Terminal. It has nothing to do with the airport, it has all to do with the airline that has its hub at DTW. Northwest was still in bankruptcy when this survey was probably conducted. You can't fault the airport for the airline's problems. DTW is one of the most efficient airports in this country, a little construction on its runways should not make it a miserable airport. If your flight is delayed, at least at DTW there is plenty to do if you are in the McNamara Terminal.

Another Bullshit thing on the survey is that they have MCO at #13. I work at MCO and a lot of the flights are late arriving due to problems at OTHER airports not MCO. Yes we get our daily thunderstorms in the summer that cause some delays, but the flights that come in late are due to problems in the northeast. There is also plenty of stuff to do at MCO before you go through security. The only things I can fault MCO on are the long security lines and that the western airsides are starting to resemble the Smith Terminal at DTW, while the eastern airsides are beautiful.

falstaff

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:09 am

DTW is great. Maybe some of the people who did the survey should visit some airports themselves.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

Vasu

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:15 am

WHat an odd way of measuring airport "miserability"...!

DTW is the best connecting airport I've found in the US...

I also found the staff to be much more freindly here than in other US airports. Maybe the weather in Detroit was fairly miserable... OK VERY miserable when I was there... but not a lot else!

PGNCS

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:19 am

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 1):
on-time performance and average load factor hardly seems like a good measure of "airport misery." On-time performance is important for passengers, but load factor?

With an easy to navigate layout and great shops and restaurants, Detroit is my favorite U.S. airport for transiting through.

Completely agree with you...I find both DTW and CLT to be excellent overall. JFK and ORD are a scourge to aviation. This may be the most ludicrous aviation story ever printed in a major publication.

yyz717

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:28 am

I fly thru many airports. The new NW terminal at DTW is among the best that I have ever seen. Layout, natural light, amenities, on-site train.

Hubbing thru DTW on NW is a pleasure compared to most US airports. Delays have not been a problem for me, but that's anecdotal.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

bartond

Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 am

I agree with the person that said it really depends on what airline you fly into what airport. Sure, if you're an international (or domestic) traveler connecting via NW through McNamara you'll have a great experience. That airport lives and dies by NW so the NW areas tend to be really nice. Try a different airline in a different terminal and things might not be so rosy.

Try flying Frontier or United into ATL or IAH - the experience is not quite the same as it would be if you flew DL or CO, respectively.

I just got back from a beating of a trip through LGA. Man that place feels like an old musty-smelling sardine box and the airline employees there for F9 and UA have all been rude the past 2-3 times I've flown through there. Sure doesn't get you excited to fly in and out of NYC but the approach right over Manhattan can't be beat.

deltadc9

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:05 am

I spent a week at Detriot one day. I have heard it has imporved, but when I was there last, there was absolutely nothing to do and i was stuck there all day. Just finding a tv or something to pass the time was impossible.

That was after a 2 hour taxi/tour on the tarmac before not taking off and returning to the gate.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

JetBlueGuy2006

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 3):
This makes no sense at all. The McNamera terminal is the nicest terminal in the country, and delays are minimal at DTW. Not sure where this is coming from.

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I am flying out of DTW to DCA in a couple of weeks and I will see how "miserabe" it is  Yeah sure

I am also taking the Michigan Flyer, will let you know how it is.
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

Mir

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:27 am

Quoting Drgmobile (Reply 1):

I guess load factor would be relevant to the likelihood of flights being overbooked and passengers being bumped.

I prefer MSP and DEN to DTW as far as connections go, but it's still a pretty good airport.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Tornado82

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:33 am

Since when does DTW have that bad of an on-time rating? I've sure as hell never had those kinds of problems there, even flying twice through there the first day of the infamous mechanics walkout/lockout a couple years ago.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting DeltaDC9 (Reply 15):
Just finding a tv or something to pass the time was impossible.

If you were in the Worldgateway, how did you happen to miss the jumbo-tron/scoreboard style TV's?

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 18):
Since when does DTW have that bad of an on-time rating?

It generally does not, however if you look at how they only considered data from Jan-April 2007, which skews the data due to winter weather, and the fact that a proportionatly large number of flights out of DTW are to winter-weather affected destinations in the Midwest & Northeast, its no wonder it had a lower on-time number during this portion of the year. Plus you have both the midwinter break, spring break, and Easter crowds during this time, when NW traditionally runs a very high load factor.

Any airport writer who ranks DTW as the worst airport immediately loses all credibility, unless we are talking about circa 1999 here.

Anetter123

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:49 am

I've only seen the new NWA DTW termiinal from the outside, and it looked amazing. Unfortunately I was flying NK the day I visited it and had to use the old terminal, which is exactly just that - OLD!...LOL.

Of all the airports I've been too, here are my ratings on the ones below.....

United States.....

DEN - For having the nicest terminal.

LGA - Just the worst airport I've been too. Its old, security lines are a disaster, and its just too overcrowded not to mention hard to expand given its area.

MIA - Horrible traffic. I love MIA , but I seriously have to rate it for having the WORST traffic in and out from like 8am-8pm at night...LOL.

DFW - Best connecting airport. The AAtrain system they have is awesome. The only thing I can imagine about this airport as a local picking someone up is how will they know where their friends/relatives arrive at?...LOL. Seems almost like they have to call AA or whomever to find out the gate, because this airport is HUGE!

ORD - Worst connecting airport. I've been stuck here quite a few times, be it due to snow, too many birds on the ground or in the air (hence ATC delays) and its just very inconvenient to pass through unless its your final destination.

INTERNATIONAL

YVR - This to me is the most beautiful international airport I have ever been too. It goes neck and neck with HKG, which is my 2nd favorite int'l airport.

CDG - Most filthy airport I have been too.

ZRH - Nicest, cleanest European airport I've been too - not too mention very convenient for connecting flights.

CHC - Strangest airport I've been too in the sense I didn't remember going through any type of security line when I flew from CHC-AKL back in 2000? Have things changed?

PNH - Cutest airport I've been too =) For a developing country such as Cambodia, they sure have a nice/cute little airport there in PNH. You check in, immediately go upstairs through passport control and your jetbridge is right there. Very clean too.

LHR - Longest immigration lines I've ever had to make.

BQN - Smalled airport I've ever been too...LOL.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 5):
L A X

The problem is that LAX is not meant for connecting traffic. LAX is an O&D airport and it does a good job to that end. Certian airports like DTW and DFW are meant for connections, LAX isnt one of them (unless you stick to the same airline). People who fly here typically fly to stay here, not connect. But youre right, LAX is not very connection friendly. The market is so huge that all we really get is O&D.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

xjramper

Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:28 am

What I don't understand is how DTW, CLT, MSP, CLE, IAD, FLL, MCO, CVG and PIT all came before ATL. That just blows my mind.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

Birdseed

Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:34 am

I seem to remember the international terminal at DTW being pretty dire, though I understand it's been refurbished or something...haven't been there in a while.

The thing that made DTW okay, in my experience, was the fabulous BA team who were always friendly and cheerful no matter what kind of chaos was taking place.  veryhappy 

burnsie28

Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:42 am

Quoting Birdseed (Reply 23):
I seem to remember the international terminal at DTW being pretty dire, though I understand it's been refurbished or something...haven't been there in a while.

I don't believe that any of the major international carriers use it, RJ, LH, KL, NW, BA all use the worldgateway (when North opens RJ, LH and BA will move).

DL777LAX

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:17 am

L A X

Once Again, I will quote what I have said in other threads, Because I'm tired of saying the same damn thing:

"

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 6):
Look, I'm tired of people bagging on LAX for it not being aesthetically pleasing or a gem of modern architecture. Its still an efficient airport. Security is never more then a half hour, I've flown out of LAX a hundred times. Never have I experienced a security line an hour long, never have I been 9th in line for take off. So what if its not modern, what it lacks in aesthetics, it makes up in efficient movement of getting people into and out of the airport quickly.

It doesn't matter how good the airport looks, if your stuck in it for 24hours, your going to be miserable, whether its HKG, AMS, LHR or JFK.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 21):
The problem is that LAX is not meant for connecting traffic. LAX is an O&D airport and it does a good job to that end. Certian airports like DTW and DFW are meant for connections, LAX isnt one of them (unless you stick to the same airline). People who fly here typically fly to stay here, not connect. But youre right, LAX is not very connection friendly. The market is so huge that all we really get is O&D.

Of course not, but then again, Los Angeles isn't exactly in a prime place to connect traffic. Its too far south, but for what we lack in connections we make up in O&D. Thats why LAX is the busiest O&D airport on the planet. But you probably already knew that  Wink
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

DL777LAX

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 am

L A X

Once Again, I will quote what I have said in other threads, Because I'm tired of saying the same damn thing:

"

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 1.4213414124312E+34):
Look, I'm tired of people bagging on LAX for it not being aesthetically pleasing or a gem of modern architecture. Its still an efficient airport. Security is never more then a half hour, I've flown out of LAX a hundred times. Never have I experienced a security line an hour long, never have I been 9th in line for take off. So what if its not modern, what it lacks in aesthetics, it makes up in efficient movement of getting people into and out of the airport quickly.

It doesn't matter how good the airport looks, if your stuck in it for 24hours, your going to be miserable, whether its HKG, AMS, LHR or JFK.

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 21):

Of course not, but then again, Los Angeles isn't exactly in a prime place to connect traffic. Its too far south, but for what we lack in connections we make up in O&D. Thats why LAX is the busiest O&D airport on the planet. But you probably already knew that  Wink
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

ABQ747

Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:49 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 25):
Security is never more then a half hour, I've flown out of LAX a hundred times.

When I flew out of LAX in 2005, it took 45 minutes to get through security.  duck 

FLYGUY767

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 am

Sorry, whom ever wrote this poll has never been to Detroit.

5 Worst Airports Per Me

1/Philadelphia > Confusing Mess
2/Las Vegas > Overcrowded
3/St. Louis > A Mess
4/Salt Lake > Not Enough Facilities
5/DFW > A Mess

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

DL777LAX

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:03 am

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 27):

When I flew out of LAX in 2005, it took 45 minutes to get through security.

Thats rare. I'm not going to doubt your personal experience, but I've never waited more then a half hour. May I ask what terminal you were flying out of? If it was 1, Then the line out the door to T3 is the exception to LAX's efficiency, not the norm. But its rarely that long.

Mir

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:39 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 26):

Sure, but I'd much rather have to kill off 24 hours in AMS than in JFK or LHR, or LAX. And I wouldn't call AMS a particularly aesthetically pleasing airport - its design is pretty basic. It's the amenities that count. SIN is the same way.

-Mir

pitops

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 22):
What I don't understand is how DTW, CLT, MSP, CLE, IAD, FLL, MCO, CVG and PIT all came before ATL. That just blows my mind.

I'm very suprised that PIT was this far up on the list. I'm there everyday and don't see that many delays or other problems unless there is something going on on the east coast.. like the past 2 days. We have alot of problems with PHL, the NYC airports, and sometimes both Chicago airports. I think they need to redo that list of theres! PHL should be ALOT closer to the top of not taking the first place spot!
Ground Ops, Southwest Airlines, CMH

DL777LAX

Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 30):

Sure, but I'd much rather have to kill off 24 hours in AMS than in JFK or LHR, or LAX. And I wouldn't call AMS a particularly aesthetically pleasing airport - its design is pretty basic. It's the amenities that count. SIN is the same way.

AMS is a nice airport, except you hear every single last announcment. You could be on the international side of the airport, and hear Jonas Harwan being called to gate A1, and your at G12. And there is an announcement every 30 seconds. I've never heard that before, at least at that amount. I had 7 hours in AMS to kill, and there is only so much shopping and gambling you can do before you get sick of it. I couldn't imagine 24 hours in ANY airport being very fun. That was the point I was trying to make. You know, you should probably get some sleep, and if your at an airport like AMS, there isn't a hotel without entering the EU. And if your just transiting, its not worth the hassle.

Who likes to shop for 24 hours straight? *Waits to get mauled by valley girls*

warszawa

Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:11 pm

Needless to say, DTW in no ways hell is at #1, ESPECIALLY compared to ATL/EWR/JFK/PHL, are you kidding me? Complete joke. Sure, the Smith terminal is horendous (built in 1957 - I think it's had its use already!). Best they use dynamite to blow that place up when its time to demolish it like they do to ol' vegas hotels...sheesh. I wont miss that horrid nasty looking terminal for nothing.

McNamara is very appealing, of course. I'm excited for the new North terminal to be opened in 2008, cant wait to see what that looks like! Viewed some artistic photographs on DTW's website and, once the NT is completed, DTW will (likely) qualify for one of the nations most beautiful airports.

As far as on time performance...i've never had a delayed flight out of DTW, but everytime i'm there and reading the departures/arrivals monitors out of curiosity, I always seem to find many EWR and PHL flights delayed, same with (but not as bad) as LGA. Rarely see JFK on the monitor as NWA doesnt operate that many flights to JFK out of DTW.

Quoting ABQ747 (Reply 27):
When I flew out of LAX in 2005, it took 45 minutes to get through security.

I think it really depends on the terminal and the time of day you're flying. I've flown out of LAX's terminal 3 on 3 red eyes on AirTran leaving around 10:30pm and its usually around 20 mins. I flew on a Northwest red eye leaving at about 12:20am or so to DTW last year August and it took me about 1hr 15 mins. I was in security at about 11pm and they were paging me (I was actually going through the metal detector at the time) for final boarding call to Detroit along with about 5 other passengers who were right next to me. I ended up running to the gate and got un (everyone was already seated). Ridiculous. I was used to the 20mins with AirTran at T3, then 1hr 15 mins at T2...what the hell? There were a ton of Asian people in security and I figured out why which was because IIRC there was an Air China 747-400 flight leaving at 1am or so along with other red eyes on NWA and other carriers flights.

On a side note to this thread...

I pity LC Smith and his forever tarnished name  Silly
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

pitops

Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting Warszawa (Reply 33):
I always seem to find many EWR and PHL flights delayed

That is the same as the monitors at PIT. I've never been there a day where theres no delays to PHL and EWR.

LHboyatDTW

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:02 pm

Needless to say, DTW in no ways hell is at #1, ESPECIALLY compared to ATL/EWR/JFK/PHL, are you kidding me? Complete joke. Sure, the Smith terminal is horendous (built in 1957 - I think it's had its use already!). Best they use dynamite to blow that place up when its time to demolish it like they do to ol' vegas hotels...sheesh. I wont miss that horrid nasty looking terminal for nothing.

I agree and echo the responses of people on this thread. The only way I can agree with that article is if it was published around 1999 where the McNamara Terminal barely had its foundations constructed (I remember seeing the construction when flying to SNA that April).

Though once the much-needed North Terminal comes into use many local DTW a.netters, myself included, can proudly say "TO HELL WITH THE SMITH TERMINAL!!!!"

just 16 more months  goodvibes 
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

UN_B732

Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:23 pm

I guess the idea is they expect you will be packed in a crowded sardine can - so what if NW can pack flights in/out of DTW. It's a reliable airport, and McNamara is the nicest airport I've transited in the US. Intereting to see how low hobby is, and how CLE (my favorite hub) is closer to the top than expected
What now?

isitsafenow

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Quoting LHboyatDTW (Reply 35):
Though once the much-needed North Terminal comes into use many local DTW a.netters, myself included, can proudly say "TO HELL WITH THE SMITH TERMINAL!!!!"

I taxi by the new building under construction about once a month to depart on 22L and they are making nice
progress. Walls are going up now and the plan is to have much framework finished by late fall so they can
concentrate on interior work for the winter. So far so good.
safe  airplane 
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

usflyer msp

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:16 pm

That study (like most) is a bunch of BS.

toltommy

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:31 pm

Makes you wonder just where the writers actually flew through DTW. As others have said, the Mac terminal is world class. I fly a lot of US from the Smith, and while old and dingy, it's not bad, because it's not pressed beyond its limits as it once was. I echo those who nominate PHL as the #1.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

dtwclipper

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:32 pm

This is just ridiculous!

Which is it?
DTW Ranks No. 2 In U.S In Customer Satisfa (by Dtwclipper May 23 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Detroit Metropolitan Airport is ranked second highest in the country in overall customer satisfaction among large airports up from fourth last year, according to the results of the J.D. Power & Associates 2007 North America Airport Satisfaction Study released Tuesday.

Detroit tied with Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport for the ranking. The airports were second to Dallas/Ft. Worth International

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...?AID=/20070522/BUSINESS05/70522023
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Mir

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 32):
And if your just transiting, its not worth the hassle.

It's very easy to go into the city if you have a few hours. Not much of a hassle at all.

-Mir

NASCARAirforce

Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:21 pm

As far as on time performance...i've never had a delayed flight out of DTW, but everytime i'm there and reading the departures/arrivals monitors out of curiosity, I always seem to find many EWR and PHL flights delayed, same with (but not as bad) as LGA. Rarely see JFK on the monitor as NWA doesnt operate that many flights to JFK out of DTW.

Now I have had a lot of delayed flights out of DTW - BUT none of them were due to the airport's fault. All but one were due to the aircraft I was flying on going mechanical - Several times on NW, a couple on Spirit (yes even a less than a year old A321 went mechanical causing a 2 hour delay leaving), as well as a Southwest jet.

The only time I was delayed taking off from DTW was due to a line of strong storms going through Ohio and they weren't letting any Southbound departures leave until the storms moved through. I had to wait 2 hours in the plane with the air conditioning off with 95 degree temps outside.

atlflyer

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:15 am

L A X

I don't care what the article says... went thru the TB international terminal a few weeks ago and I've been in better airports in bankrupt 3rd world countries.... a joke! yes they're doing something.. but its appalling. shocking I tell you. that one gets my vote. LAX is the most important pacific gateway... and in so many ways is 2nd only to JFK in importance in the country. its a dump! places like DEN and SLC crap all over it.

I second that...LAX isn't very nice. I expected LA to have an amazing airport...anyone know what type of renovation projects are planned?

pitops

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 43):
I second that...LAX isn't very nice. I expected LA to have an amazing airport...anyone know what type of renovation projects are planned?

Well they eventually plan on redoing the north side terminals and contructing a central terminal area where the parking structures are now and making a new much larger parking structure to the east of the airport.

sk601

Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 32):
and if your at an airport like AMS, there isn't a hotel without entering the EU

There is a Accor Mercure hotel in the terminal building, close to the McDonald's between the F & G concourse. No need to go through customs/immigration.

boch

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:03 am

I agree with the consensus here, DTW in no way belongs at the top of that list.

To truely calculate passenger misery, they should include factors like:

- number of concessions inside security per passenger
- security line wait times
- rental car/public transit accessibility
- distance between layover gates

Load factor does not play into airport misery. It does, however, place the big WN cities at the bottom of the list.
KU, KL, PK, CO, AA, US, UA, WN, AS, FL, BR, MH, KE, OZ, PR, 5J

FLYGUY767

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 43):

This knocking Los Angeles has got to be done with. Everyone on here complains that Los Angeles is a dump. I can assure you that half of the airports that are in the poll dont even come close to the traffic that Los Angeles handles. In addition take into the fact that Los Angeles is the heaviest O/D airport in the World.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_airport

There is a lot of wear and tear on Los Angeles because their is so much demand for product at LAX, their is hardly room for the airlines to move if and when this major renovation gets underway.

Do you honestly think that airports like Miami, Orlando, San Francisco, Houston-IAH, Detroit, and Philadelphia have near the passenger traffic as Los Angeles International Airport? A quick fact for all of you to know about LAX is that the passenger traffic at LAX is double that of Toronto, and near double that of Narita, Philadelphia and Miami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...iest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

On the Cargo side Los Angeles ranks among the Top 10 Cargo facilities in the World. It beats out Miami, JFK, Amsterdam, and O'Hare among others. The Cargo traffic at LAX is double that of Newark, and even more than double that of Atlanta, and Dallas/Ft. Worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2..._busiest_airports_by_cargo_traffic

One of the best things about LAX is that once you are through security you do not have to walk for miles to get to the gate you are going to. You dont go to the airport for a foot massage, shopping, or manicures. You go to an airport to get on a plane and get to where you are going to. I can think of a lot worse airports than Los Angeles to be stuck in. Heathrow being one of them. LAWA are looking at plans to get the ball rolling, and it is not an overnight walk through the park to get done. There are a lot of plans being thrown out there.

-JD
Summer Trip 2007: DEN HAAG>DUBAI>LONDON>VERONA>COSTA SMERALDA>CAPRI

LAXdude1023

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:37 am

Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 47):
This knocking Los Angeles has got to be done with. Everyone on here complains that Los Angeles is a dump. I can assure you that half of the airports that are in the poll dont even come close to the traffic that Los Angeles handles. In addition take into the fact that Los Angeles is the heaviest O/D airport in the World.

All of the things that I wanted to say, my sentiments exactly!!!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

DL777LAX

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:12 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 48):
Quoting FLYGUY767 (Reply 47):

All of the things that I wanted to say, my sentiments exactly!!!

Seconding that, and thank you. Seriously, all of you who bitch about LAX not being so damn grandiose and luxurious, its still easy.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos